After getting the 2 llamas, 2 sheep and the angora goat sheared earlier this summer, one of my goals was to complete the washing and carding, so I could start spinning all this soft wool into yarn by winter.
I finished washing all of my fleeces at the end of July.
I started off doing them outside in a bucket, but found it too difficult to carry water with my knee being sore and weak. So I decided to wash the wool in my bathtub.
But first I cleaned out as much of the VM (Vegetable Matter) as possible. This is my gelding llama Catlinite’s fleece.
Then I dropped the fleece into the bathtub of warm soapy water.
And to save my back, as well as help strengthen my legs, I used my feet to gently swish the fleece in the water until it was completely wet.
After the first wash, the water revealed just how dirty the wool really was.
When I drained the water, I kept some mesh fabric over the drain hole, so that wool wouldn’t go down the drain and clog the pipes or cause problems with our septic system. After 2-3 wash and rinse cycles, the water rinsed clear of the wool.
I gently squeezed out the water, and then placed the fleeces outside on my bedroom balcony to dry. Within a day, they were completely dry and ready for the next step: Hand—Carding.
I’m still working on this process and have completed 3 of my fleeces, turning them into tidy rolags ready to be spun, and still have 4 more fleeces to get done.
I attended a Wool Processing Class last year at a local farm that raises Navajo Churro Sheep, so I felt prepared, but I did get a helpful refresher course by watching the following You Tube videos, created by the same, experienced, calming person. So, I’ll just let you watch the videos, if you’re interested in learning how to hand card your own wool.
This video shows how to spin from rolags, using the Longdraw technique. This will be my next step.
Aren’t her videos so calming and easy to understand? This is only my first year learning how to hand spin, so I’m still on a learning curve. But I’m having fun. I bought a second-hand Louet Spinning Wheel about 6 months ago and am so excited to be able to spin my own wool that I’ve processed from start to finish.
This is another wonderful video, from the same woman. It shows how to spin from rolags, using the Short-Draw.
I’ll try to remember to take some photos when I’m able to start spinning all my fleeces. Just be kind. I’m still at that awkward stage where my yarn looks hand-spun (with all the twists and nubbies).
Is anyone else processing their wool now, or making plans to start spinning, or already knitting gifts for Christmas? Can you believe summer is just about over? Where’d it go?!
From the Tower of,
34 comments :
Oh my goodness! Who would have thought that nice fluffy wool was THAT dirty!! lol
I found this post very interesting! Can't wait to see what you make!
That bag of brown wool, are they natural colours?
What are you going to knit?
Wow! Very neat. I was surprised on how different the wool looked dry to wet. Not to mention how dirty it made the water when it looked so clean already. Next year, when we get sheep, I will be trying to figure out the same process.
So...I am just a lowley cowgirl, Is all this work going to pay for your time??? I am a girl who has decided my time is worth at least $ 20 an hour...even if I am running rerands! I will not drive across town to say $2 bcause my time costs me $5! Please do not misunderstand what I am syaing...I love what your are doing...I just am asking...is it worth YOUR TIME???
Ooh, have a drawing! I'd like a scarf.
That is so interesting. I wish I had that kind of time.
That is some beautiful fleece Lisa. Cant wait to see how things progress as you start to spin it!
BTW- I think I gained 10 lbs READING about all your peach goodies there!! hehe ;)
Loves to ya girl ~
I am not at all sure I would have the patience for doing wool. As much as I like to knit, I think I'll leave it in your capable hands...Have fun!
You are one hard working momma!
I know how to do the weaving but never really watched the other process, my girlfriend is just starting to do spinning and getting her wool ready. Really neat videos to watch thank you, but I still think I will stick to the weaving end of it so far!:)
Oh gosh...don't even want to contemplate doing this with my more than thirty fleeces! It's such a huge job and I have a set up down at the farm office.
Washing fleeces is terrible for our septic system, thus the set-up at the farm office.
Looks like you have lovely fleeces, enjoy the process!
How interesting....my sister in law was always interested in this since her family had black sheep. They did purchase a spinning wheel but never used it...I thought it a shame. When my mother in law passed away, I think they got rid of it? I can't wait to see your sweaters! Very interesting and informative post...thanks for sharing! Have fun spinning! You remind me of a pioneer woman and how they used to do these things because they had to!
Oh wow, that fleece in the tub looks so pretty! I am just learning to knit, but am in awe of hand spinners. I have a friend with a flock of shetlands, so I know I can get wool if I decide to try it, but honestly it scares me. Please keep posting about the work and the steps, this is so interesting. Good for you!
This a part of why I love your blog, other than your mad sense of humor! I get the chance to learn things. It's so interesting to see - via pics- different types of lifes than mine.
I would love to process wool but I don't have any D:
Someday.
WOW! This is so cool! I always wanted to learn to do this, but I don't have any llamas or sheep or the spinning stuff. I can knit though! LOL
Well, now I know how you'll be spending your long winter evenings...
Pretty impressive muck, the first wash cycle!
You are SO ambitious! I know what you mean by bathtub rinsing being hard on your back. I used to rinse the dye out of batiks in the bathtub. Now I just lay it on the lawn and spray it with the hose until I am bored. It it doesn't have wax in it, I make the washing machine rinse it.
Are you going to dye your fleece before or after you spin it? Or maybe natural?
Thanks for showing the videos! I was really thinking about spinning my own yarn. Everyone that I talked to had shipped their fleece off. I wanted to do it myself. Now I think I could possibly do it. So now I need to find a lama. lol
I have a bunch of wool already carded, and another bunch that needs to be cleaned.
My mentor told me not to move it around much in the water or it might felt, sounds like you're having no problem. She also told me not to handle the wet wool much, so we gently press out some of the water, and then put it in a mesh bag and pup it in the washer on the final spin cycle. Within a couple minutes it comes out almost dry, then laying it out lets it finish drying by morning. Maybe things dry faster where you are because of the dry air!
Wow, you are a woman of many talants!
Wow! That's completely amazing! Too bad our critters don't have wool, or I'd be wanting to follow in your footsteps!
Wow, that's a lot of work! Have fun spinning.I have an antique spinning wheel and wouldn't know the first thing about doing any of this, but I give anyone credit who can learn how to do their own wool.
Wow, that just looks like a lot of dirty work! You are so crafty!
Very nice, Lisa!!! And as an old farm girl, who has helped shear lots of sheep, I am actually surprised that the fiber-even though it is llama fiber and not sheep-isn't dirtier than it is/was. :)
My fleece is still sitting in the garage. Hopefully this winter I'll have time to play with it. I'm using store bought yarn for Christmas presents this year.
Thank you so much, that was amazing and inspiring because I do have a wheel and I do have fleeces and all I need now is time and patience.
I love the music in the videos, maybe I need the the same relaxing music to get into the mood and start spinning also.
x0x0x0x0
How cool!!! I wouldn't have thought that wool would have been so dirty, it looked pretty clean to me! You are going to have your work cut out for you, that's for sure. I don't know how you find the time. I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing the pictures of you doing everything.
Very cool, you would make a great grape stomper..:-)))
Wow that is a lot of work!! Just washing a lone would have had me pooped!! It's so neat that you do all of this!!
Is there anything you don't do?? Very interesting. :):)
What hard, interesting work!
Never know what I'll find when I stop by here--I just love that.
WOW that is awesome!!! I would never think to do that!! I can't wait to see your progress as you go and maybe I'll learn some things!!
Great post Lisa! It's amazing how much dirt is trapped in the wool. The washing in the tub with your feet looked very soothing and satisfying knowing that you are working toward making a beautiful product in the end.
The videos will be a great help to you, the woman did a really nice job. I love the music, I used to listen to music like that when I sewed all day. I used to work for a fiber artist, she air brushed designs on silk clothing. I did all the sewing, did that for ten years.
The spinning wheel makes me thing of the treadle sewing machine that I have. A lot of times I will sew on it just to feel the rhythm of the treadle moving under my foot. It's such a soothing thing. I remember sitting by my grandmother watching her sew, then her teaching me to sew on the old Singer treadle machine.
Can't wait to see what you will make with your gorgeous silky wool!
what an adventure you are on.
hugs....
Jane
Post a Comment