I suppose I shouldn’t have worried so much about integrating the chicklet trio into the rest of the flock, especially roosting in the chicken house at night. Yes I do have a couple of bossy hens that don’t always have the best manners, but for the most part, I am proud of my gentle, kind chickens. Whenever there is a little spat, the most that happens is a peck or two and then the tiff is over. Everyone gets along, even my two roosters, Mr. Cotton and Sid Vicious.
I should have trusted my chickens to work things out among themselves, but it was scary watching Mrs. Cotton get clobbered by another hen, when she was just trying to defend her chicks. I’ve noticed that Mrs. Cotton is being a little less defensive now, which is easing the tension in the coop. I think that to some of the hens, they didn’t understand that Mrs. Cotton believed she was protecting her chicks, but instead just figured that Mrs. Cotton’s defensive stance just made her look like she was asking for it.
So, Mrs C. has laid back a little and has allowed the chicklets to be more independant while helping them learn the rules of the coop.
So, imagine my surprise last night when I did my night time check of the hen house only to find ALL of my chickens inside their house preparing for bedtime.
(Do you see Mrs. C and her babies on the roost at the right of the picture?)
And I really doubt that Sid Vicious knows these chicks are his babies, but he sure does seem content to roost beside them.
And when they run around peeping, he doesn’t mind standing still, in a rather protective way, as they encircle him.
Doesn’t he look like a proud Papa?
I have to admit it is rather cute and heartwarming seeing them all together like that.
It also made me glad to see them inside the warm, cozy coop, because the temps have been dipping into the teens at night. brrr!
But I always keep a 75 watt bulb on inside their coop during the winter to act as a heater and to keep their water bucket from freezing. My chickens do seem to appreciate it.
So, yet again, my chickens have taught me another important lesson. Introduce newcomers slowly, but trust the flock to work things out among themselves in their own time.
17 comments :
I'm glad the flock managed to settle things among themselves. The chicks are adorable.
And Sid..:D
Lisa, I never knew chickens could be so pretty and have such personality.
Looks like one happy feathered family in there, snug as a bug in ... straw! ;)
Cute pictures. It's generally best to let animals work things out -- in most cases that's best.
Dan
They are all so beautiful!!!
Nancy in Iowa
Great shots of birds of a feather...
What a lovely group of chickens. So much personality! I love the different "looks" they've got going there. Glad they worked it all out.
How sweet! One big happy family :)
Sid Vicious does look like the proud papa. I have some young ones and a new comer ( an Isa Brown) to the flock and they are all getting on great.
x0x0x0x0
I'm glad it all went smoothly.
Your chickens are just gorgeous!
Beautiful pictures Lisa, and such a diverse flock. I love the silver laced hens. Sid is handsome as always. They all look really healthy and robust. Mine are molting and look kind of raggedy right now. No pictures for them!!
I love your chickens. Mrs. Cotton is very classy indeed!
Someday I need to post pics of my roosters. I only have one hen left & she keeps away from the boys. Smart gal!
OH I feel sad for Mrs Cotton LOL!! She is so cute and such a good chick mama!! They are all so neat looking!!
I'd love to have some chickens. Its nice to see some living a happy, normal life. They are so lucky.
We love your chickens Lisa. Even my son who has no desire to live on a farm thinks your chickens are really interesting.
What pretty chickens you have! I love the golden one in the first photo! Love the "do"! lol
Sid does look like the proud papa! Love his feathers! And I am glad that everyone is getting along so well!!
OMG! You have the most wonderful array of chickens! I gotto get me some, they are the coolest looking birds, I love the one's with their afros! Too cool!
Post a Comment