Sunday, November 15, 2009

Macro Monday ~ Spidey (along with Pie and Pioneer Woman)

 

This one’s for Ed, ‘cause we all know how much he loooooves arachnids. hehehe!

IMG_4101

(Only cropped, otherwise, straight out of camera (SOOC), using my Canon Power Shot SX110 IS)


Check out Macro Mondays to see what other folks have captured within their cameras this week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Ok, for those who have the willies and the heebie-jeebies after that 8-legged larger-than-life horror, I’m here to erase all that and share a little proud moment of mine.

Hold onto your seats, people!

I made my very first Deep Dish Apple Pie!!!! Oh yes, I’ve baked apple pies before, but always used canned apple pie filling and store bought crusts. This puppy’s all home-made, baby! From the crust to the apples harvested from our own apple trees. And I’m happy to say that it was really good, too. I was terrified to make the crust as I’ve read such awful stories about tough, inedible crusts, and I’ve tasted a few pies like that, too.

But this apple pie worked out perfectly. The crust was light, flaky and buttery! And the apples were sweet with a flavorful amount of cinnamon. It was so good, we ate that darn pie in one day! I’m so proud, I could burst!

IMG_4201    

And in the same theme, I have a thank you to say to Patches of the Furry Four Legged Kids Blog. I entered her contest just by answering some questions about what kinds of quirks her readers have, and I had no idea what the prize might be. It just sounded like something fun. So, I was so excited when Patches told me she was sending me the brand new Pioneer Woman Cook Book just for entering her contest! Whoohoooo!

I only rarely read the Pioneer Woman blog and never comment. My comments would end up lost in her 400+ comments she receives for each post anyway. But I do check out her homeschooling blog and her cooking blog and have tried many of her recipes, including Pioneer Woman’s Onion Strings, which I posted about in that link. I don’t think Ree Drummond could make a bad meal. Every recipe I’ve tried is simple to prepare and tastes great.

IMG_4653

And I just love her cookbook. It’s very bright and colorful with tons of photos and is written just the way she writes on her blog. It’s more than just a cookbook, too. There are stories about her family, and her husband, Marlboro Man, along with photos of the beautiful horses in their care.

So I just want to thank Patches for the super gift of the Pioneer Woman Cooks cook book. I’ve become rather lazy in the kitchen with John always on the road, and I’m thinking that this is just the thing I need to spice up my cooking around here.


(So, have you ever prepared a Pioneer Woman Recipe? If so, which was your favorite, and why?)

 .

31 comments :

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

First, as always. .the pix from your camera are so terrific, great spidey shot! I think Ed will approve!

As for the Pioneer Woman recipes, I have not made any, but will, as I love her blog, and all it's categories!

Leah Fry said...

Cool spidey pic. Haven't made any Pioneer Woman recipes, but sure do envy her fan base. I guess my life's just not interesting enough.

Congrats on the made-from-scratch pie! My grandmother taught me to make pie crust, so I have had many years' practice. Her advice to me was to handle the dough as little as possible and use as little water as you can get away with and still have it be "handle-able." I'm proud of you! My Grammy would be, too.

Anonymous said...

please promise you wont ever post a spider photo like that again (?)
*shivers*

lol

Lisa Wilson said...

Now I'm in a pie making mood! I love making my own crust. I've had good results even at our high elevation.

I haven't used any Pioneer Woman recipes, but my internet friend in Arkansas won a contest and got to meet her and cook with her! Her blog is http://starwoodgal.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,

Renee here...from WNCR and the trail competition. Love your blog, by the way!

I just got the Pioneer Woman cookbook and we LOVE Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich. We left out the lemon pepper and just went with the seasoned salt, Worcestershire and Tabasco. Yum!

I've got to get a real ID for posting in here....

Janice said...

What a pretty pie. I will have to check her out. I am going to keep bugging you about this song that keeps playing so you should just tell me please who is it?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That's quite a colorful spider. You can actually count the hairs on its legs. I think Ree is a lot of fun. She's cracked me up with some of her more silly posts.

~ Sara ~ said...

Great shot, congrats on the pie... I personally am not a great pie maker. OK pie crust, the filling is another thing.

PW... I made those chocolate cupcakes of hers. They were so GOOD even if the frosting was a flop. :)

Coloradolady said...

Congrats!!! I have made her spicy shrimp...super easy and oh, so, good...we have had it each Sunday for about a month....love the jalapeno appetizers, and her chocolate cake....your pie looks lovely by the way!

Paint Girl said...

Now that is a creepy looking spider!!
Your pie looks absolutely delish, and I can see why you ate it in one day! I have never baked a pie before, but have always wanted too!
I got my goodies from FFLK's too, but I got a goody bag full of sweets and coffee!! That cook book looks great, will have to check into it, I love cook books!

Janice said...

Oooph that spider really creeps me out, I still have goosebumps.Thanks for the name of that artist.I really want that pie I just love the little hearts....who does that... you are special.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I can smell the apple waffing here. Such a coincidence, I bake an apple cake on Saturday, not very satisfactory, turned out more like a crumble.

I like the spider. It is so great. Wish I can take photos like that, may be I will buy myself a christmas present.

Next week, you will breeze through.

Ed said...

Oh buddy, YOU ROCK!!!!! I have to get one of those Cannon pocket cameras for a backup. And the pie can only get better warmed up with a scoop of vanilla icecream..YUMMMM
..:-)))

Desert Rose said...

My grandmother...Buba made the best pies...but her crust was to die for! An old family secret???
YES! It was.
I also have a furry creature for a post coming up soon,8 leggs and all!LOL

Mrs. Mom said...

'K, I confess Lisa, I skipped the spider part to check out your PIE!!! Look at that would ya-- totally excellent girlfriend!!!

Now, when you gonna start selling some of these amazing pictures??? Hmmmm???? ;)

Hugs to all y'all out there!!

colleen said...

I have to give you props on the spider pic even though they are one of my great phobias..I plan on getting the PW cookbook too. I check her blog all the time for cooking and photography tips, and have made several dishes and they are all wonderful.

CTG Ponies said...

The pie looks fantastic!! Congrats! The spider, however...

Great pics! Pioneer Woman's blog is a really fun read. She also has written the story of her and her husband which is great if you have the time to read it.

Anonymous said...

The spider was just a bit too creepy for me. YEEK!!!! I sure would love to sink my teeth into some of that apple pie, I know it was delish. Pioneer Woman is one of my favorite blogs as well. I need to get her cookbook, but there are lots and lots of recipes on her blog. :):)

small farm girl said...

Yea, thanks for the spider. Anyway, good job on the apple pie. I am also "spooked" about making my own crust. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I have tried the roasted red pepper sause and the bbq meatballs. Her recipes are good. But, I have noticed that more shortcuts can be made to make them faster.

Once again thanks for the spider.(this is sarcasam.lol)

sfg

Holly said...

fabo spider pix! Great great great job!

Patches said...

Great pic, even though it is totally creepy! ;) And that pie is gorgeous! If it tasts half as good as it looks I can definately understand it disappearing!

I'm so glad you're enjoying the cookbook! I made PW's white chicken enchiladas and mexican rice last night and oh my goodness...heaven on a plate!!! SO tasty! I also cracked open her cookbook to try out the eggs in a hole for breakfast. Those were pretty darn tasty too! And so simple! I also love her cheesy olive bread and there was a really good recipe for some sort of artichoke olive dip in there some where too. I've lost track of all of her amazing dishes that I've made, but I do know they are always SOOOO good!

Thanks for the shout out and I'm so glad you're enjoying the book!

Sarah said...

That is an incredible spider shot! As long as he's not in my house, I think he's awesome!
And the pie looks too good to eat! So glad you found a good crust recipe. I've not found one that sattifies for me. Dad has a great one that I loved that he used at his reteraunt. One problem...it makes 100 pie crusts and he does it from memory...no measurements. Nice! Can you post your crust recipe? I'd like to try it.
I've not tryed Ree's recipes, but I read them! They always look yummy, but I'm no where near my kitchen when I'm feeling inspired by them.

DesertHen said...

Beautiful shot of an Orbweaver! Spiders are pretty and fascinating to watch. I love Pioneer Woman recipes and have fixed many of them. Our fav is the Crash Potatoes....they go so good with steak!

Jocelyn said...

REE is my hero, I am going to make her cinnamon rolls SOON!

You are so lucky to get a copy of her cook book !

Sally said...

Yum...that pie looks great! I love the PW-her site is full of step by step cooking along with pics which is perfect for me.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

So yeah the spider wigged me out LOL!!! I too rarely read Ree's blog, I do love it but I would need a full day just to read one days worth of her posts LOL!! But I did order that cookbook before it was even on sale LOL!! I haven't tried anything yet, still reading the whole thing. I have to say she is one of the neatest ladies and this book is so much more than a cookbook, I'm having a blast reading it LOL!! And the pictures to help you along while cooking, AWESOME!!

flowerweaver said...

The body of that spider looks like a man in the moon face--very cool! The pie looks so yummy and I remember seeing all those lovely ripening apples when we visited. Have never cooked from Pioneer Woman's recipes, but looks like I will have to get acquainted with them. The cooler weather and kitchen renovation are bringing out the cook in me too!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Lisa, great spider shot..really good! And that pie..well it looked really yummy.
I am not much of a cook..I sometimes read Pioneer Woman..not too often..I was really bummed out after her Border Collie Nell disappeared. I used to leave her comments..years ago. :)

Michelle said...

Wow, great photo! And the pie looks yummy. I love the little hearts! Congrats on winning the contest, the cookbook sounds amazing.

D. said...

That is a beautiful spider - I think it's gorgeous. Now my interest is piqued too - gotta go check out the Pioneer Woman Blog - I love new recipes!!!!
I hate cooking the same stuff over and over. Congrats on the beautiful and yummy pie.
Deanna

D. said...

That is a beautiful spider - I think it's gorgeous. Now my interest is piqued too - gotta go check out the Pioneer Woman Blog - I love new recipes!!!!
I hate cooking the same stuff over and over. Congrats on the beautiful and yummy pie.
Deanna