Friday, December 4, 2009

Squeaky Snow

 

Yesterday’s snowfall was beautiful indeed, but it was also extraordinary, too. As far as I can remember in all of my 43 years, I have never experienced snow where  I could see each and every snowflake with my naked eye, and not only that, but also the tiniest of details, as well.

IMG_5215

I walked around in wonderment of the beauty, bending down to take many macro photos with my little Canon PowerShot SX110 IS.

IMG_5343

I woke up my kidlets and we spent a good portion of the morning taking snowflake samples and looking at them under our microscope. To say we were in awe would be an understatement. (And if you are interested in seeing more snowflake macros, come back on Macro Monday when I’ll be posting some more.)

And on the way to the barn this morning, walking among all those sparkling snowflakes, was like walking among tiny glistening mirrors reflecting the sunlight, or even more magical, like glittery diamonds….billions of diamonds.

IMG_5323

IMG_5341

And one of the most fascinating and amazing results of this magical snowfall was the sound of it. 

Watch the following video I took this morning. But most of all, listen to the sound of the snow crunching, and then the squeaking as I twisted my boots in the snow. And if you listen closely, you’ll also hear the sound of Baby Doll’s hooves squeaking as she turns and walks with me.

 

Wasn’t that amazing?!


Baby Doll didn’t seem much impressed with the squeaking, but when she saw me squatting down in the snow with my camera, taking macros of the snowflakes, she left her breakfast to find out if whatever I was doing was more interesting.

She decided to taste test the snow.

IMG_5378



And she seemed to enjoy the texture and fluffiness.

IMG_5361



And then she stuck around for a while to critique my photography skills.

But it’s difficult to focus when someone is looking over your shoulder.

IMG_5386

32 comments :

Farmer Jen said...

Great photos. Especially that last close up of Baby Doll's nose!

DesertHen said...

Lisa, Your photos are beautiful! I love the photo of all of the snowflakes on the ground...Amazing!! The photo of Baby Doll with the snow on her upper lip....Got Milk?? Love it!! Great shots...can't wait to see more...=)

small farm girl said...

I love the close up of Baby Dolls nose too! Beautiful,just beautiful.

Reddunappy said...

Oh thats so funny I was just asking you about the snowflakes! They are beautiful when you can see the crystals! arent they.
Must be pretty cold! But I guess at your elevation it can be! We are only at about 98feet above sea level here at home LOL
Beautiful pictures.

Pony Girl said...

That is so beautiful! I haven't seen snow that detailed, or squeaky, either. I'm very jealous! I love photographing horses in the snow....something about the relection of the light off the snow is just perfect for photography.
Can't wait to see the macros!

Lori Skoog said...

I've never seen such snowflakes....great shots.

Unknown said...

Love the snowflakes. Looks like you and babydoll are creating a great relationship.

Anonymous said...

We sometimes get snow like that - your snowflakes are amazing! I think the squeaking has something to do with temperature. Fun photos!

Janice said...

Excellent post, it was so good when you were twisting your foot I almost expected Baby Doll to come alongside and try it too.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Someone told me that every snow flake is different. After your experience, you can tell me if this is true.

Your snow look different from what I remember from The Canadian snow I saaw 35 years ago.

Your horse is so funny.

TxFarmhouse said...

Your camera shots are amazing!! Very interesting. I know my body couldn't stand 10degree weather. I have no "umpht" in cold weather..to me, it's hybernating weather.
By the way, I love your new header picture with Baby Doll "laughing"!

Moms Musings said...

Great shots. I love the crunch of the snow when you're the first to walk on it.

lisa said...

Those are fantastic shots of Baby Doll. I actually can wait for the snow just because of everything we need to get done. I want it so I don't have to look at the mudd anymore also. I quess I can't have both!

Mrs. Mom said...

Oh dear.. as I read this, it said at your house it is now 15*... you have snow on the ground.... 15*.... Even though the sky is still dripping on us, I think I'll stay here.

BUT.

Seeing your amazing pix once again brought a smile! I love that snow on muzzle shot!!!! Baby Doll is a great model!!!

KD said...

Fun video and I enjoyed your walk in the snow. Seems like it was long way to the barn. How big is your property? I thought it was cute how BD followed you and kept coming to you when you tried to film her.

Alison said...

We used to get squeaky snow like that fairly often up in the snowbelt along the eastern side of Lake Erie. But it was usually with the coldest snows; it felt like the atmosphere was extra-dry then.

What I loved most about the video was seeing Baby Doll's shadow walking right next to yours. And every time you turned toward her, she came over to you. I love that non-verbal connection with animals.

And yeah, that last close-up of her fuzzy muzzle is an instant classic. Can't wait 'til Monday!

Shelly's Stuff said...

Brrrr! I get cold just looking at the pics (guess that's why I live in south Florida!). Beautiful photos. Enjoyed the video...the scenery is great!

colleen said...

How wonderful! We had just a little snow here this morning, but it's stopped for now.

Your pictures are just amazing.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

it's snowing here now in the Appalachians, I'm drinking some hot chocolate, looking out the window and reading blogs, nice Saturday :)

Dan and Betty said...

Nice pictures. Like I've said before, you and Val can keep all that snow on your side of the mountain.

Dan

Sally said...

I'm so jealous of your snow! Beautiful pictures-as always :)

Grey Horse Matters said...

First of all great pictures and great squeaking. I've never seen pictures as good as these up close of snowflakes individually. Love Baby Dolls tongue picture, so cute.

Tim Hodgens said...

Twinville,

Love the photos and the video. Crunching snow is one of my favorite sounds.

I just came across your comment on my blog WAY back on 4/12/09. (for reference: http://iwillrushnomore.blogspot.com/2008/02/seeing-as-meditation-as-invitation-to.html)

Did you ever put up any of your pastel and pen and ink sketches?

Tim

allhorsestuff said...

OH WOW...those detailed tiny-little-perfect-flakes.WHOA! How very cool. Loved the video...I jsut oouued at the timing Liss...almost full circle from last year..and she was adorable..keeping with you the whole time..I love that quirkly, little, opionated mare..she remids me of mine!
What great shots! I loved them all...the sparkles..you even caught that!
XOXO
Kac

Tammy Vasa said...

The snow is amazing. It reminds me of making snowflakes as a kid. Very beautiful pics & look forward to seeing your Macro Monday.

Loved seeing Baby Doll walk with you. Funny when you would turn to photograph her, she turned into you. Good girl!

Saw your note on my blog. I hadn't noticed the woman in white in the window. Gave me the shivers! Isn't that a neat, neat picture?

Kateri said...

Wow, that is one of the most beautiful snows I have ever seen. Amazing.

Sarah said...

What fun! I had never seen individual snow flakes till I moved to Montana. I guess it takes super cold for them to not stick together. And I'd also never known that snow squeeks when you walk on it. Ours in TN just crunched and squished. I like to walk in it and make it squeek. There's nothing like an early morning walk in the undisturbed white stuff. Glad you had a great morning.

mrscravitz said...

Neat video, and pictures. I was blessed to have lived in snow that you could see each individual flakes too, and it was awesome! Thank you for the photos, and video.

CTG Ponies said...

Pretty snow!!! We also had snow this weekend but not the pristine snow that you had. The snowflakes are very cool!!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

LOL that was so cool!! Very neat!! Great pictures by the way!

Michelle said...

Wow! Great photos! I can't believe the detail and the brilliance of the glittering snowflakes. What a fairy tale post.

cdncowgirl said...

Snow that glitters like that is so beautiful! I love it. And hoar frost, love that too.

Squeaky snow... heh heh, yup love it too :)