Where has the time gone? How can it be that our first chicks born here at Laughing Orca Ranch could now be almost 3 months old?
Our weather warmed up a bit the past couple days, so I chose to sit outside in the coop with our chickens on Friday afternoon. I haven’t done that for a while and it sure was nice just sitting there among my feathered friends enjoying them pecking,
preening,
(Looks a little like Rolkur, doesn’t it?)
fluffing,
eating,
and even sleeping.
Many of them came over to be petted, to peck at my boots and clothes and to have their pictures taken. It is so much fun for me to photograph our chickens.
(Yes, those are snowman jammies and leopard muck boots. Doesn’t everyone wear items like these for farm duties?)
They have the most interesting faces and expressions at times.
And I love their many feather colors, shapes and patterns. (Phyllis Diller seems to be having a bad hair day)
Watching the babies is also very entertaining.
Seeing how they are much more active in the flock than the older chickens, and how well they’ve integrated themselves into the flock is fascinating to me.
Mrs. Cotton still spends time with her babies, but is a lot less patient with them and doesn’t defend them from the other chickens or even me.
She seems to have let her chicks leave the nest with no regrets.
And her chicks seem be enjoying their independence and newfound places within the flock.
It’s also very interesting to see how their Papa, Sid Vicious relates to them, and they to him. He is very tolerant and protective of them already and he is often standing with them or nearby.
I’m glad they are looking more and more like Sid, because even though I think the SIlkie chickens are very pretty and cute with all their soft fluff, Sid is my favorite and is the most eye-catching and photographic of all of our chickens.
(I call him chicken coop eye-candy)
While he’s not an affectionate roo with me, he is very respectful of me (especially after that one and only time he tried to attack me last Spring, for holding one if his…..my hens, and he ended up airborne. A batter could have ran a homerun after my pitch). But my handsome boy doesn’t seem to hold any grudges and he’ll even come hang out near me and will pose endlessly for the camera. Yeh, Sid’s a Camera Ham. (or is that camera fowl?).
Sometimes I’ll catch him checking out his shadow, probably to be sure each top feather is in it’s place.
His kids take after their Dad, too.
I can definitely see that at least two of them have Ameracauana (Easter Eggers) Mothers, too.
(Oh man! That photo cracks me up!)
This is Jenna’s Ameracauna hen, Angelina Ballerina. I just love those cheek fluffs.
And all three of them have the Polish fluff heads, too.
I am pretty positive that this chick is a rooster. He resembles his Daddy so much. And he is already quite handsome.
But I’m not 100% sure this one is a roo. It has the most gold color of all three chicks. Quite flashy. It’s probably a roo. I’m still going to hold out hope on this one, though, at least until it belts out it’s first crow.
But this chick I feel pretty confidant is a hen. She is mostly black with only a few flecks of gold.
I’m still not sure who her Mama might be. It will be interesting to see what color her eggs turn out to be.
Like this batch of eggs that some of our hens have given this week. Our Welsumer hens are reliably laying those dark chocolate eggs. The smaller cream colored eggs are being produced by Mrs. Cotton, the Japanese Silkie. And the small white egg is a product of Phyllis Diller our Buff-laced Polish hen. And the large pink-tinted egg was laid by Myrtle one of our Ameracauna (Easter Egger) hens.
And finally, the odd colored, army-green eggs with “chocolate chip” speckles are being laid by our Cuckoo Marans hen.
As I was sitting outside among my chickens, in the warmth of the sunshine, a huge booming and vibrating was heard in the sky above us. We sometimes have military aircraft fly over our house and property from Kirtland AFB, and they are often quite low. But these helicopters were the lowest by far. I can’t imagine they were more than a couple hundred feet above the ground. The air and ground vibrated as they flew overhead.
My time outside with the chickens ended as soon as the sun moved westward and dropped behind the trees that surround the coop. Without the sun, the temperature felt much colder than 30 degrees. But it sure was nice while it lasted.
Sid Vicious even regaled me with one of his best crows on my way out the coop gate.
Thanks for making me feel at home, my feathered friends. Good night. Sleep Tight.
The End…………
28 comments :
I say the same thing every comment but "Awesome photos".
That bunch of eggs was just gorgeous.
Happy Holidays!
What a handsome flock of fowl!
What a lovely visit to the coop. I can't get over how different every chicken is!
I must confess Lisa, I have never been a chicken fan. At all. Unless it was grilled. Or smoked.
But you have changed my mind. I love your chicken posts. They are a riot! And very pretty. You show how much personality a chicken can have, and just how cool they can be.
Someday... someday... we might have a few roaming around... We can't right now, but someday... ;)
Stay warm out there. Oh- and I love the Christmas header!! It looks fantastic!!!
Your chickens are so pretty. Isn't it amazing how we can get so attached to a silly chicken?! You take great pictures. They are so clear.
I love sid vicious. Hes like the suave Fabio of the coop.
Those are some pretty feathers with your eggs. Send some of those my way will ya? Hahah I love feathers I have a big collection I have found them all over the place in all sorts of colours.
Lisa, I just love your chicken updates! They are all so pretty! We had chickens here when our kids were small, but also 2 collies who would catch them and pull out their feathers! We also had ducks and geese (here in town!!! At one point, I even had 3 geese, but they chased me all over and so THEY went back to the ranch in Thermal!!! I miss my chickens, however!
I just LOVE your chicken shots!!
Thanks for the chick updates. I enjoy watching them grow up. Those eggs are gorgeous!
Tell Sid I said "hi". LOL
Happy, happy chickens! So glad the babies are integrating properly.
They are soooo beautiful! Until seeing your photos I never knew there could be so many varieties of chicken feather colors and styles!
Thanks for the education and the beauty...
Nancy in Iowa
That was a great post! There is nothing like setting and watching your animals. Your pictures were wonderful.
Oh, we have army helicopters flying over our house all the time too. It is weird when they do fly that low.
Stay warm.
sfg
Aww, I'm so jealous! I used to spent lots of time hanging out with, and even talking to, our chickens. Such idyllic, peaceful times.
your farm wardrobe is much like mine. a pretty assortment of eggs, my girls are barely laying right now.
That one picture cracked me up too LOL LOL You sure get a lot of pretty colored eggs!
I happen to like your snowman duds Lisa. Those flannel pj bottoms are great for keeping warm! & your boots are quite fashionable too!
Buy your chickens... now they are REALLY flashy! :-)
Those babies sure are turning into pretty birds :)
I love seeing the eggs all together. You can sure see the size difference that way. And the colours are so pretty.
Lisa... not only do I love every single photograph, I love the fact that you enjoy sitting there with the chickens...so sweet. We need to make a calendar of unique barn outfits!
I love the photo of Sid admiring his shadow. LOL. What are beautiful flock you have. And that basket of eggs is spectacular. Such a variety of colors and tones!
Your chickens are beautiful. I love looking at them. As you say, their patterns and colors. Amazing!
Sittin' with the chickens.
That's an experience I'll probably never have, but I will enjoy it through your pictures.
I kind of like Phyliss.
Dan
I love the picture of the two chicks... one mostly orange with black specks and the other mostly black with orange specks. If they were black and white instead of black and orange, you could have named them Yin and Yang.
I stumbled upon your blog today. What a happy find for me! I feel the subject matter for your pictures holds your reader's attention, (I went back a read quite a lot of your entries), as well as the technique you apply produces a high quality photo.
Your witty captions and descriptive prose make me feel like a long time reader. I'm hooked.
I'm in LOVE with your chickens! Your photo's of them are exquisite. I can't believe how many different colours their eggs are. They make me miss my days on the farm. I had a pet Roo named Chanteclair. He was a white bantham leghorn, and absolutely gorgeous. I love the names you have chosen for your chickens as well. Hope you have a wonderful week.
It is sad to say but in another 3 months your rooster chicks will be lovely and plump and ready to grace your dining table. It is also nice to think that they had a very good life and were honoured whilst they were with you. It is also your duty to ensure that they are cooked to perfection and enjoyed so that their lives were not in vain.
Best wishes from another chicken keeper
Janet xx
I like the fluffing and bad hair days, Your chicken so cute, so you have the heart to put them in the pot?
When I was little, mum always stopped us from playing with the chicks, she didn't want us to get too attached to our chicks.
If I could crow, I would!
I love the sleeping chicken photo! You got some really great shots. How much fun you must have had! You've got some really awesome chickens, for sure!
Post a Comment