That big winter storm hit Central and Eastern New Mexico late last night and it’s expected to hang around dumping more snow, wind and blizzard-like conditions on our area until Friday morning. Already we’ve got 8” of snow now, but the weather reports say we could get up to a foot of snow by tomorrow.
It’s funny. When I was a kid growing up in Maryland and California, when it snowed I couldn’t wait to get outside and play in it. I still can’t. I do love snow.
(And yes, quite often I wear my jammies to go outside. The animals don’t care and neither do my neighbors. My family and I live in our comfie jammies while we’re at home. Don’t you?)
But after the 4th or 5th snow, my kids seem rather unimpressed with snow and it’s all I can do to push them outside to play in all it’s fluffy whiteness. My twinling sons, especially, just stand inside at the windows and doors and wave at me.
Jenna still likes to play in the snow, but she finds the whole ordeal of getting bundled up in warm winter clothes unbearable and can’t wait to tear all those cumbersome thick layers off the second she steps inside.
Me, on the other hand, I like to dress in layers. The more the better, so I can stay outside as long as possible, and if I get too warm I can peel off layers until I’m comfortable.
Another aspect I like of being outside in the cold, is that going back inside is made all the more sweeter. I love to come back inside the warm house and make a cup of hot tea or cocoa, pull on my flannel jammies and sit in front of the fireplace or crawl into bed and get all comfie.
How about you? Do you enjoy the snow? Do you like to be play in the white stuff or just be outside taking a walk in a winter wonderland?
(The little grove of trees behind our house)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working Man?
Did anyone notice the fun song on my playlist “Hey Ho Away We Go”?
This section relates to those lyrics: Some of y’all have asked if Ranchman John has found a new job yet. Well…………Yes and No. He’s been on several interviews, taken a few Entry Tests, and all results have been positive. Everyone wants to hire him, but they don’t have anything ‘right now’. sigh.
( Project 365 )
He’s been unemployed for 3 weeks now and it can get very discouraging. We’re hanging in there, though. We’re living off some of our savings and through my blog I’ve made a little money, too. I’ve sold some of my photos and I’ve received payments from a few companies that advertise on my blog. So, it’s pretty awesome that my blog has become more than just a place to journal my thoughts and adventures and to share photos of our ranch. But it would be really great if Ranchman John could get hired soon. Positive thoughts and prayers are always welcome.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A couple blogger friends brought it to my attention that I’ve not posted about my chickens for a while. And I realized that was true. I’ve not felt much like posting about them because not long after I posted about Annie, the Ameracauna hen, being sick and weak from a late molting, she finally succumbed and took her last breath. She will be missed.
( Project 365 )
And with all the snow we’ve been getting, the chickens don’t want to come outside and play. The other day I tried to take photos of them while they were outside, but our snow was starting to melt and their coop was a big, mucky, sloshy, muddy mess. I kept slipping around and was afraid I might fall so I gave up on the photo session.
But today I did manage to take some photos, albeit inside the chicken house. I tried shoveling the snow away several times to clear an area for them to come outside. I even spread some chicken scratch on the ground, but within 15-20 minutes the snow was falling so heavy that the area was completely covered again. And the chickens were too smart to fall for the chicken scratch bribery and refused to step foot outside.
They insisted on being fed inside.
I did manage to take some photos of Sid Vicious for all you adoring Sid fans.
He doesn’t take after his moniker at all. When it snows or is windy or cold outside that handsome fella stays inside. He’s kind of a wimp actually. When his ladies go outside into the bad weather, he just stands at the door and peeks out every so often to check on them.
I also took some photos of Sid’s kids.
They are 18 weeks old now, and it’s obvious now that we have two roosters and one hen. The roosters have such handsome feathering and take after their Dad.
The hen is a beautiful ebony color with blue/green iridescent feathering and a few gold accents.
She will be staying here on Laughing Orca Ranch, but at least one of the roosters will have to go to a new coop. Anyone want a handsome Polish/Ameracauna roo to add some flash to your flock?
Oh. And Mrs. Cotton has gone broody yet again.
I swear, that’s all that little hen ever thinks about is hatching out babies.
It’s too cold for me to let her have any eggs to hatch out right now. Plus I’m only getting about 4-6 eggs a day and we are using them all. She’ll have to wait until Spring. Poor thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dobbie is enjoying the snow very much, even though it must be quite a struggle having to leap out of it’s depths.
She can only exert herself for short amounts of time and be out in the cold, before she is asking to go back inside again.
But it’s fun to see her run and play in the snow, when I’m pretty sure that for the first two years of her life in a Puppy Mill she had never even seen snow at all.
Well, that’s all I’ve got for today. Anyone want to take a gander at how many inches of snow we’ll wake up to here tomorrow morning?
This is a great time of year to get cozy with a good book, so I’ll pick a winner, on Saturday, from the correct answers and send you this funny book, “Shoveling Smoke”.
35 comments :
Now thats a long post! And a great read, Too many things to comment on in this one so I'll just say great pics and I wish I had somewhere to stick ine of Sids Kids in my truck..:-))
I'll vote for 11 1/2 inches.
Great pictures. Dobbie is really cute. Our sheltie, Chloe, hated the snow. I had to shovel out a space in our courtyard for her to go to the bathroom.
One more time, keep the snow on your side of the mountain.
Dan
That's great that you made some money off your photos! Also, John is networking. That's got to open some doors for him. Thanks for the video of Dobbie. I don't get too excited over dogs, but Dobbie has stolen my heart.
Hey, can you make sure to have snow on the 12th? Is there someplace to put in my order??
How cool you have some money coming in from the blog! Glad it's helping.
I hope something comes in for Rancher John. It's no fun waiting.
Lots of sonw! Geez I am glad we dont have it LOL
I guess another 3 3/4 inches!
The book looks interesting :0)
Looks from our weather forcast more is headed south! We keep getting the middle split and not getting much rain at the moment! yeay!!!! Tomarrow rain, then dry next week!
It's odd, when a big snow is forecasted, yes, I get all giggly inside like school will be cancelled, then I realize the adult-me has to get out and go to work, I want to stay home and play.
The project photo of the ice is great.
Since John was on the road for so long, too bad he can't enjoy being at home for awhile, rather than stressed about getting a job. I hope the blog and photo $$ keeps rolling in.
Ted says a total of 10 1/8 inches! I've been known to throw Beamer some hay dressed in my flannel nightie, but mostly I get dressed first; there is a walking club of senior citizens who go by here at all hours, and I don't want to scare them! Great photos as usual; like the one of Dobbie where all yo can see is her head as she plows through the snow.
I guess a total of 12.5 inches!!
I am so jealous! No snow here! I need to go to the mountains! It is beautiful. I'm like you, like a little kid just wanting that snow day!!!!
I love seeing pictures of your chickens Lisa! :)
I didn't know that you could make money from a blog. I guess I'll have to look into that. My hubby has been laid off for almost 14 months. Talk about scary! Thick chickens look as happy as ever. Oh, thanks for the video of Dobbie. I love to see a dog having that much fun.We are suppose to get some snow here, but I don't think that much. Wow!
I must like snow ,I still live in Alberta ! Great photos! such beautifully colored bird! Keeping a good thought for employment for you hubby!
12 inches snow is my guess
Hey Lisa...Love the shot in your PJs! Yep, there is nothing like coming into the house on a cold, snowy day and sitting by the fire. We have had one everyday since the end of October. Good for you, selling some of your photos. Would love to know more about this advertising stuff. Did you ever have a one man show in a gallery with your photography? If not, you should...and sell your work. Jon Katz, over at Bedlam Farm, just had a show and is now making note cards out of some of his stuff so everyone can afford them. He goes through a gallery, but I don't see why you could not do this yourself.
Your work is exceptional!
The most loved chickens in America! :)
As you know we finally got some decent snow here so I no longer have to envy yours lol
I'm guessing about a foot, so 11 3/4 inches.
I LOVE the 2nd Project 365 photo :)
Ok I'll confess that at home I'm in jammies too. I'll change to go out or if we have guests but otherwise its jammie time.
Prayers are said and fingers crossed that RJ gets some good news job-wise soon. But how cool that your blog is making some money!
ps - sorry to hear about Annie :(
SNOW! I am wanting it to snow so bad before spring. Just once! Great chicken pictures, and that little Dobie is just the cutest thing! Our dogs have always loved to play in the snow. Will keep thinking good thoughts about work for the hubby!
Great post! We are awaiting a big snow storm. They say it could be the worse in 14 yrs!! Probably not down here where we are though. I'd love to see a foot plus of snow. :)
If we had a coop built I'd love to have one of Sid's boys. :) Maybe next year.
I loved Dobbie! I sure hope the hubby gets a job soon, my prayers. I love my jammies, flannel! I even go and do my chores in them when I don't have to get dressed! That book looks good, I will have to see if I can get a copy of it:)
fab post...the chickens are so colorful and i can't blame them for wanting to stay in the warm coop.
we are supposed to have snow late today into tomorrow...up to 12 inches they say. hoping they are wrong and it blows by.
have a great weekend.
hugs to you.
I really enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for catching us up on the chickens. Poor Mrs. Cotton; now her last brood is grown and "gone," and you keep having her clutch for breakfast! lol
I didn't know you were selling your pictures, but I'm not surprised you're getting some money from them. These two Project 365 photos are particularly good. Good luck to Rancher John on his search; I know it's gotta be frustrating for both of you.
I'm glad you're enjoying your snow! By the time it gets here later tonight, it's gonna be mostly frozen rain, I think. Since it's a weekend, I'd rather have the snow!
The ice photo is breathtaking. Where have you been selling your photos? They are so good! Good thing you're enjoying the snow - looks like you've got enough of it to last you awhile!
Hey Lisa,
I think I can count on 1 hand the snows we've had here. I was just saying to my husband I love seeing all the beautiful pictures of snow on the blogs but I just can't adapt to cold weather and snow. It has been abnormally cold and wet here this winter, but no snow or ice yet.
I love seeing the chickens. The little ones have certainly grown.
I am keeping Ranchman John in my thoughts and prayers for finding a great job soon. I understand it all too well.
You have a wonderful blog and a wonderful heart. I know great things will come from both.
Have a warm,safe, and great weekend.
Pam
Aarrrggghhh, I hate snow! I'm with Jenna---the layers make me a crazy person. Like I've turned into the Michelin Man.
I'm glad you and Dobie enjoy it, but I do hope it quits snowing and warms up a bit. :)
Hmmm- on the snow I'll say 14".
Sorry to hear about the loss of Annie too. That's got to be heartbreaking.
Fingers crossed TIGHT for Ranchman John too.
And do I love the snow? Sometimes, I miss it. Sometimes, I love the south. It's a toss up, really.
And this time of year, I live in sweat pants...lol... Dear Husband likes the flannel jammie bottoms, but I head straight for the sweats!
Stay warm Lisa, and I cant wait to see the new (fantabulistic!) pics!
Dobbie is so incredibly cute and funny in that video - just adorable.
SVG
Oh snow! I love the snow, for about 10 minutes. Then, honestly, I am miserable. I hate hate hate wearing layers, so I get grumpy when they are involved. But, if I can get some good pictures out of it I usually end up happy and forget about my misery. I don't think our pups would like the snow nearly as much as yours does! And I'm jealous of your chickens. Living in the city, I don't think my neighbors would appreciate if I had any!
I'm guessing 6 more inches, so 14" total!
That's crazy that you have so much snow down there and I have none! None!
Last year 4ft - yes 4ft of standing snow in my yard, I needed snow shoes to walk out to my bird feeder. This year NOTHING, Zero.
But....I am not complaining. It is surprising, but not bad. I hate the snow. I ski and snowmobile so I should like it - but I don't. So there you have it....
Great post, too much to comment on but I have to say loved all the photos but Dobbie plowing through the snow is priceless.Something will come up for John you've heard the expression 'something good comes to those who wait"....or something like that.I didn't realize how much I missed the chickens till this post. Sid is looking good as ever.
Snow...I love it as long as we don't lose power...I'm spoiled that way you know. Ours just started coming down and we have no idea how much we'll get.
Hope Ranchman finds a job soon, it's just terrible how much the economy has hurt the job market.
Sorry about Annie, I know it hits you hard, but you will persevere.
How much snow? 15 inches...
Stay warm while you're out playing!
yea, just rub it in with the yardstick!
- The Equestrian Vagabond
Wow, long one Lisa! Lots of gorgeous pictures, love the chicks. Oh, so sorry about Annie, poor thing.
LOL Dobie in the snow, too funny!
We don't have any snow but it's pretty cold.
Do I like to play in the snow, well, sometimes. If it's not too cold out and I dress warm.
I hope spring is here soon.
Jane
keeping my fingers crossed for your hubby...I don't like snow but love looking of photos of it...sorry to hear about your loss...I was hoping she would be okay....you have some really beautiful photos...
I do love snow but I've found that after two winters in Montana, the novelty has kind of worn thin. One nice snow, and then I'm over it! Its just like rain after that.
Thank you for pictures of your chickens! Loved them.
Hope John gets a job soon. And congrats on your selling photos and making some moola with your blog. How nice to make money at something you enjoy.
Storms over and we're rolling your way. I'd wager you got an even baker's dozen...13 inches. Really I've not heard. We've been absorbed with keeping up with TX weather since that's where we were stuck.
Take care and stay warm.
Sarah
I do love snow but I've found that after two winters in Montana, the novelty has kind of worn thin. One nice snow, and then I'm over it! Its just like rain after that.
Thank you for pictures of your chickens! Loved them.
Hope John gets a job soon. And congrats on your selling photos and making some moola with your blog. How nice to make money at something you enjoy.
Storms over and we're rolling your way. I'd wager you got an even baker's dozen...13 inches. Really I've not heard. We've been absorbed with keeping up with TX weather since that's where we were stuck.
Take care and stay warm.
Sarah
Got to say I love the snow. I am like a big child in the snow, I get get dressed and can be outside the whole day, in the beautiful winter settings. My mom calls me crzay but I am a winter child :-)
Thank you for the book... I did get it the other day! :) And I will pay it forward once I'm done reading it.
As far as the jammies... sweats, jammies, isn't it all the same? Sometimes I end up sleeping all night in my sweats. Ya know?!
Lisa, I'm so sorry about Annie. It's always devastating to lose any of our animals. They take another tiny lil piece of our heart with them.
And finally, I hope your hubby finds a job soon. Well I know the agony of job searching. Since July 08 now. Two temp gigs at the local community hospital, who wants to hire me badly, but they just haven't had anything open up for me! So frustrating.
Hugs to all of you~
Susan
As always, I love seeing your animals. Sid is a handsome one! for sure. Sory about Annie, I was wondering too. Just been waiting for you to post about her again. How sad. You've had your share of sadness, girl. 2010 has got to be better.
We got lots of snow - for AR, that is.Lots od freezing rain before.
Hope you're staying warm
Hugs,
Patrina <")>><
Post a Comment