Gotta keep my riding momentum going, so this weekend I’m participating in a Trail Class held at Cedar Hill Farms, in Estancia, again. All aspects of trail riding will be covered, including packing saddle bags properly, which items to pack for emergencies for horse and rider, how to be prepared for problems and dangers that can occur on the trail, and how to deal with any obstacles, too.
(I’ve got Ed of Thoughts from the Road and Sunday Stills to thank for the following playful photos. He keeps a small toybox in his truck as he travels across country. My fave macros that he does include Spiderman. Here’s my own feeble attempt at playing with toys as an adult. It was rather fun, but cold. lol!)
We’ll spend the morning in the indoor arena discussing all the above mentioned trail preparations as well as riding our horses (I’ll be riding Rosie again. yay!) over some of the obstacles that are often encountered on a trail ride. And then after lunch we’ll be heading out on the trails to apply what we’ve learned on some of the trails that meander over Cedar Hill Farm’s 440 acres.
Then on Sunday, I’ll drive back down to Cedar Hill Farms for a 2-3 hour trail ride. Of course, we’ll be riding in the snow, but Estancia received less snow than we did here, with only 5” of snowfall. And that’s certainly less snow than I experienced during my last trail ride up at Oak Flats a little over a week ago.
Still, I’m looking forward to riding on bare ground again one day. Come on Summer!
~~~~~~~~~~~
Did y’all notice the amazing full moon last night?
I read that the Algonquin Indians named the first full moon of January, the Full Wolf Moon, because of how it seemed to cause wolves to howl louder and more often.
Apparently the Moon arrived at ‘perigee’ (it's closest point to Earth on its non-circular orbit. Which is why it was so bright and seemed huge!
(All of my photos are taken using my Canon Powershot SX110 IS)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally the winner who came the closest to guessing the correct total amount of snow I’d wake up to on Friday morning is Shirley’s husband Ted, of Ride a Good Horse. He guessed 10 1/8”. Congrats Ted! I’ll get your book out to you next week. In the meantime, give that handsome boy, Beamer, a good scritch for me.
And I’ll leave you with a video to enjoy, of my Dobbie girl and I on a snowy walk around Laughing Orca Ranch, on Thursday afternoon.
33 comments :
Now that sounds like a fun way to spend the weekend!! Glad you get some more pony time in.
You know, I never knew that Ed had a blog other than Sunday Stills! :o
You are too clever...enjoy your riding weekend.
Lisa,
I always wonder if you get up incredibly early or stay up really late lol! You posts are often up before me and I am up pretty early and two hours ahead of you here in the East Coast. I guess you have had it with the weather. I know it is bad when my father in Mountainair says he could not go outside, he goes out in any kind of weather. I think the toy photos are really visually interesting.
Hope you have a great trial riding clinic, sounds like a good day!
You did a great job with the toys! Have fun on the trail.
Have fun this weekend. I didn't get to see the moon last night as the sky was full of clouds and snow. Which weirdly enough turned to rain this morning....
Love the pics. That camera is awesome!.
Ahhh...I loved the video of your little dog! She sure is a cutie pie! What energy! And, your full moon pic was beautiful! I've GOT to learn how to use a tripod and do a time exposure!
I love Dobbie — cuteness abounds! It's that ear.
Martha doesn't like to get wet and hates anything touching her tummy. This is hard to avoid because she's so short. She leaps through snow and water as if avoiding hot coals.
Have fun at your clinic.
I'm glad your keeping your horse riding momentum going. It's very important and it's easy to slack off.
Love the pictures!!! Oh you need to do this once a week at a minimum. It's so fun!
perigee is a great one
Ah, the intrepid band of horses struggles through the deep drifted snow, across the mountain pass, braving attacks from wild beasts, in an effort to find safety and food in the valleys below..... to be continued.....
Great moon shots, the first one looks like an artists watercolor.
Ted says thanks!
Have fun this weekend, give Rosie hugs from me!
Have fun on the weekend , good to keep learning ,and yay for Rosie!
Congrats Ted!
I'm impressed at how much Dobbie enjoys plowing through the snow. She's such a good sport. We finally got a little snow today, and Rosie's first reaction was to sneak several bites; she thought she'd get in trouble! She then tried to it it _all_...it's a good thing we don't live in the mountains of New Mexico.
Ooo, now I'm all excited about my mystery package coming in the mail! I wonder what it is....!
WOW! And folks were whining over 5" of snow here!! I posted some of our snow we got yesterday. It was beautiful. :)
Love the toys Lisa. Wasn't it fun to feel like a kid again?
Hugs, Dianne
Have a great weekend, sounds like fun. I really enjoyed the photos in this post
Lisa, I don't know which I enjoyed more: the fantastic toy horses (and wolf!), the beautiful moon shots and education, or Dobbie romping in the snow! My cat keeps trying to test the snow, but she shakes her paws and backs off or finds a way around it.
Nancy in Iowa
sounds fun! I hope you stay warm and dry! I would love to go snow trail riding !
LOVED the Toys in the snow drifts!! Very cool Liss!
I have been thinking soo much about you and I am very happy to hear of your Horsey weekend. That trail class sounds good..and I am looking forward to hearing of how I should really pack a saddle bag!
You have yourself some fun,smiles and a good ride!
Kac
XOXOXOX
What a cute post! Have a great time. Can't wait to hear all about it!!!
Your ride sounds fun. Have fun! Love the video too!
LOL! That is too cool on the horses, glad to be a muse..:-)
the moon shot is fantastic, they say it was a "Wolf" moon last night, unfortunatly it was cloudy in Ohio, maybe tonight will be better or tomorrow in Wisconsin..:-)
The trail riding clinic sounds wonderful. I am sure you will really enjoy getting back up and riding again, even if it is cold and snowy!
That moon shot is gorgeous, and look at little Dobbie! She is having so much fun!
sO GLAD YOU ARE GETTING OUT AGAIN SO SOON!!! YEA YOU!
I think she likes the snow.
I am so proud of you, riding and training.
I shall have to get brave enough on my own...I am going to, soon as the weather gets warmer, soon as I loose some weight, soon as....I get braver!
LOVE your moon shots!!! Gorgeous!
Love your lil horsies in the snow... maybe you need to play with toys more often, hehe. :)
And good luck on your trail riding classes and your trail ride tomorrow... my hat's off to ya girlie!
Oh, Lisa, what fun! Glad you are getting to ride again and on the beautiful Rosie!
Love the little horses in the snow pictures.
Dobbie is so cute running and playing in the snow. Buster and Laverne love to run and play in it too. Buster comes in with snowballs all over his long hair, especially his feet!
hugs...
Jane
That Algonquin moon lore is true. I have participated in a January wolf howl as well as ones during the summer and for sure, the January one there were more wolves howling. I am only 8ish hours from Algonquin.
Your trail clinic sounds like a great experience! I'm glad you get to ride Rosie again.
Those model horse pictures are fun! I used to compete in shows when I was a kid. You pose your models, photograph them, and enter them in contests (by mailing the photos, since there was no Internet then.) It was fun!
Your moon photo is amazing! Great detail!!
You ROCK girl!! Way to get back into riding with a bang LOL!! I admire you for braving the snow and cold weather!!! Your much stronger than I ;)
Dobbie sure looks like she's enjoying the snow, LOL so cute! The snow sure is pretty, but I bet you do get sick of it after awhile.
Cute pictures. Our living room windows look out at the Sandia Mountains so we can see the moon come up and it was beautiful.
Dan
The moon photo with the purple sky is stunning. Wow. Hope the clinic went well, can't wait to hear about it!
Beautiful snow! Beautiful moon. I missed it. Glad to see it here. It looked pretty lonely when BD wasn't at the fence. Changes the landscape of things doesn't it?
Thanks for visiting the Bridge. I always enjoy seeing your footprints at my place - kinda changes the landscape, knowing you were there.
Hus, my friend
Patrina <")>><
Post a Comment