I know many of you are waiting for the lowdown on the weekend’s Fear Makeover/Natural Horsemanship Riding Clinic and I promise I will get to that soon. Things have been a little bit upside down around here since Saturday and I’ve been too busy to gather all my thoughts and memories from the clinic to post about it. There was a photographer there on Saturday, so once I get the photos from that day I’ll be sure to post those photos, too.
(All the photos below were taken when Ranchman John drove home right after Thanksgiving. He and I and our daughter Jenna took a drive in the truck, into town and around the mountains)
Ok, so this is what’s been happening. On Saturday night, after the clinic I drove into Albuquerque and picked up Ranchman John from the airport, after he dropped off his keys, to the truck he’s been driving, in Salt Lake City. Yes, he quit his professional truck driving job. And no, he doesn’t have another job.
You see he’s been going through a lot of craziness working for England Trucking company and just had enough. It all started in the beginning when England failed to tell him that not only was he not going to be paid during his 3 month training, but he was also going to have to pay for his training, too.
So, after 3 months with no paycheck and now with a tuition of over $1,200 to pay back to England, he joined up with several trainee truck drivers to build-up his on-the-road experience, and after another two months, he was ready to go out on his own.
Ranchman John and another guy that went through the same class together, decided to buddy up together and lease a truck. Taking turns driving, they could keep the truck on the road 24/7, and therefore make more money.
They drove together for a couple months and did ok….not great, but ok. Don’t ever think that truck drivers make a lot of money. With the number of hours they put in they should make so much more. In 8 months Ranchman John came home only 9 times. And of those 9 times, only 3 were for more than one day.
That’s ok for me. I’m a very independent gal. I was raised as an only-child, as was my husband, so we both like our space and don’t need anyone to keep us company 24/7. But our 3 kidlets missed their Daddy something fierce. Professional Truck Driving really should be left to those who have no kids or have grown kids.
Well that driving partnership with his buddy worked well for a while, or at least until his partner decided he’d had enough and went home for Christmas and never came back, basically leaving Ranchman John high and dry. Sink or swim, right?
(I-40 Eastbound, near Edgewood, NM. That little camo-taped box on the dashboard is one of our letterboxes that went missing in September. We went out in the truck and found it again, thanks to the help of a friendly Geocacher. After I replaced the logbook we rehid it near the original location in Tijeras)
And Ranchman John tried to go it on his own for a couple weeks, even getting stranded for a couple days in North Dakota when his engine shut off and the gas in his tank turned to jelly in the –50 degree temperatures.
The truck was actually leased in his partner’s name because he was considered ‘First Seat’, while Ranchman John was considered ‘Second Seat’, so Ranchman John could have basically just dumped the truck off anywhere and came home at anytime.
But he tried to make it work out and decided to go back to England HQ, get the truck lease transferred to his name and possibly find a new trainee that might want to partner up with him so he could keep the truck on the road. Just for the record, I didn’t think that was a good idea, but he was going to try anyway.
As fate would have it (and miracles, too, as far as I’m concerned) that truck could not be transferred into his name and he would have to return it and lease his own truck.
Thankfully, Ranchman John called me first and actually asked ME what I thought (hallelujah!) and I said, “No way, Jose! This is your door to freedom. This is your out” I told him to come back home and find something else using his CDL that he worked so hard for and paid so dearly for.
So, he’s home now and we’re going through some adjustments and stressful moments while he hunts for a new job. Thankfully our vehicles and our house are all paid off, so the only bills we have are our utilities, insurance, food, gas, and expenses to care for our animals. Some very tough choices and decisions are being discussed and considered, but I don’t have the heart right now to talk about them. We’ll just take each day, one step at a time, and see what happens………..
47 comments :
We are praying.
so hope all falls into place for you and him. have him look into the state of new mexico and local counties and cities and even airport since he's got a truck license in hand. not everyone has one and some times you can find a nice job in one of those venues.
many many hugs and good thoughts to you my e-friend.
erin
Don't feel like the lone ranger..we're in the same boat. Trying to figure out what we can do. I have my "as needed" nursing job to fall back on (maybe) but I hope no one out there thinks nursing is all glory. NOT when you're working for a company... you're the company advocate and no longer the patient advocate. It stinks!
Berte
Ouch! What a mess. I hope Rancher John finds a good use for that CDL. Watch out for the fine print, eh?
Here's hoping this is just the doorway to a great new opportunity, tight and painful as the doorway may be. Keep us posted!!
I am sorry to read that you're not in a good spot in your life right now either. :(
I think that having him come home was the right thing to do though and I wish you guys luck in finding him another position somewhere.
I don't know what to say. I'm sorry your family is stuck in the unknown of unemployment right now, but at the same time it seems the job wasn't doing you guys any favors. It's almost as if Ranchman John is being pushed in a different direction. There must be something special on the horizon.
Everything for a reason my dear. Not always easy to accept and we don't always know why right away, but have faith that everything will work out for the best for you and your family.
I wish I could help, all I can do is send good wishes and prayers your way and know that for all the good work and support you do for you and your family will be rewarded....karma is gonna pay you back.
OUCH!!!
So sorry to hear this news...the only good thing is your family is together again and the kidlets have thier daddy back! Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
What a let-down. Thankfully you were able to get out before it got worse or more complicated. New doors always open; keep your heads up. Will be praying for you and your family.
my Uncle has been a cross country trucker for years...not an easy life...no wife or kids...just his dog that travels with him...I'm sure Ranchman will get it all worked out...and your family will be happier than ever....your in my prayers...
I'm sorry you guys have to go through this, but at the same time, that truck driving job didn't sound very good for John... I have my fingers crossed that something will work out for you guys close to home
Here is prayers your way that John gets a job soon. So sorry to hear that his truck driving deal was a bust.
Seems as if God has opened a window.
Sounds like a good choice and that things will work out - although it's got to be stressful not knowing exactly how. You were very smart to have a paid-off house and cars as that gives you a lot more room to move, financially. My husband and I are both only children too, so I know what you mean about that!
Best of luck, and sending good thoughts your way!
Tought times, but you guys will make it through. I hope he finds work fast. Good Luck!!
Sorry that things didn't work out with the truck, I hope John finds a job that allows him to spend more time with you and the children. God works in mysterious ways, and I hope things turn around soon for you.
Albuqerque Public Transportation
*******************************
Contact Information
Name: Rebecca Torres
Department: Transit Department
Phone: (505) 243-7433
Email: rtorres@cabq.gov
100 1st Street SWAlbuquerque NM 87102
Don't know what county you live in but on a search, type in your county name and public transportation
I assume you need the income and hope he can find something local. Focus on the public transportation in your area. Good Luck.
Hang in there. The economy has been so tough on everyone, I don't even like to talk about all the stuff we've gone through. I hope it turns around for you and Ranchman soon!
Remember all your worry the last time he was out of work? This will have a good ending too.
I have always noticed people that know how to work are never out of a job. He can now work for county or state and I am sure there are many jobs out there that will be perfect.
Enjoy that he is home, where he should be.
Remember for every door that closes, another opens. If it doesn't, you know how to knock a hole in the wall!
You will be blessed with the perfect answer.
Good luck to you both, and I am sure he will find a job. If he is like my hubby, he can usaually get something without too much problem.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
I love that one shot of the road speeding by looking out the front of the truck cab. Great shot. You should sell that shot. In fact, I think you could sell a lot of your photos and make some nice money.
Good thoughts coming your way!!!
Sandy
Oh dear girl, you are preaching to the choir on the hours vs pay of long haul truckers! (My dad is one)
Did RJ have his license already for a big rig or was that what the training was for? If he was already licensed and was just training because he was new to that company is it even legal for them to not pay?
Income, or lack thereof, is a huge stress. Try to take some comfort in having your vehicles and home paid for... there are many others in much worse shape! (but of course its still a stress) I will pray for your family that a solution comes your way *hugs*
Prayers for you both. You have a lot of decisions to make and I hope he finds a job before you have to make too many that might make you sad.
Hugs coming your way!
I always like to think that whenever a door closes and things look bleak that is the Universe kicking you out the window, saying, "Hello, here's your opening!" I don't always know what it's saying, but it's always put me on the right path.
good luck!
The Equestrian Vagabond
The CDL opens quite a few doors. I will be praying for you both, I know how stressful this can be. We've been there and somehow, when it seems impossible, you make it through.
Good news and bad news. Prayers headed your way.
Dan
I have a friends whose husband drives a big rig locally for a grocery store chain. Maybe John can find a local truck driving job.
My prayers are still rolling ...they've never stopped. Thanks for sharing the specifics of your situation. I love specific prayers. This is definitely faith in action. God honors that. RJ is where he was meant to be - back home. Can't anybody argue with that! God will honor that too. I applaud you both for this brave move of faith - for the family's sake. God designed "family". You are a priorty to Him. He knows what you need, and you can be assured that He has a plan.
Not a single sparrow falls from the sky without His watchful eye. And if He cares for the sparrow, how much more doeth He care for you.
Gentle Hugs,
Patrina <')>><
All things happen for a reason, and good lessons can be learned. I'm glad you have John home with you and the kidlets. I have to laugh when folks think truckers make good money (i.e. Ed's sisters!) Ed does OK as a single fella with no responsibilites, but could never make it with a family. You are in my thoughts dear friend.
I'm so sorry Lisa to hear this news. I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason. One door closes and another opens. It's hard to live by those thoughts at times. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. HUGS.
Goodness girlfriend~ That is so much to have going on...and definitely an adjustment not being used to on on husband home.I love mine dearly..we were placed together by God..but on-on together is hard!
So sorry he got the short end of the stick sweet..our men do sdo much and try so hard to provide and be faithful and reliable...sometimes I wonder about the plan. But, keep in mind, It is still a plan though the road map is not discernible!
You hang in Liss, and I am glad for the kids and for the next steps coming, prayerfully, soon.
Love ya's!
Kac
A new chapter, a new journey. All will work out the way that it is supposed to. Have faith and enjoy this time with your hubby. (have him check with the county and state road departments, often road crew workers and drivers need CDL's and most applicants don't have them.)Something wonderful is going to come along! ((((HUGS))) to you!
I am so sorry things didn't work out. I so hope that something comes up and that he can get back to work soon.
I will be thinking of you all!!
I hope everything is going to be alright. I know trucking is a very hard job. Theres a lack of good ones here I know if you have your A-Z and have previous experience your easily hired.
Sounds like he made the best choice. Hope things resolve quickly
Lisa-It is always so easy to look into a life from a distance and think how trouble free it looks, and wish you had the mirror image...the stay at home mom, the farm, the husband, etc. Just goes to show, life is never as perfect as it looks from the outside, we are ALL handed our trials, eh? I'm sorry to hear this...But! You won't be living under a bridge as you have a house that is paid for, etc. so that is a wonderful thing most of us cannot lay claim to. I think you were right to tell him to get out of that. I always worry when I hear of long distance truckers, trying to get somewhere, and then fall asleep...So without a partner and trying to push it to make it independently...well, I suppose I don't need to tell you of the increased dangers. The lease situation not working out WAS a blessing. But you guys will prevail. You are apparently a survivor, I know b/c of all I have learned about you over the past year (your mom, your perseverence with your knee, etc.).
I pray for a new, better opportunity for your husband, one where you see him a bit more often. And remember: Most of the really bad things we get ourselves worked up about never happen anyway...
Enjoy the time with the hubby at home!
Loves ya!
~Mindy
Sometimes things really do happen for a reason, even if it's hard to see it at the time. Sending hugs and good wishes your way!!! I hope Rancher John finds something that he loves to do.
Oh man, that all sounds so hard. I have faith that you'll make the best decisions for your family. Hugs and prayers.
What a story...too bad it's true. OTR trucking is definitely not a profession for a person with kids at home...that had to be the worst part of the whole situation. My John did OTR for many years and then landed the job driving semi in the Portland area for a lumber company. He did that for 12 years. So, there are local jobs out there that he can put his CDL to use with...wishing him lots of GOOD LUCK in finding a good one!
Keep the faith Lisa and John. One day at a time.......
That's really rough, but the silver lining is that when one door closes, another opens. Hopefully he will find a job that allows him to spend more time with the kids. Hang in there, I know how stressful this must be.
Don't fret things will be o.k. Like I wrote to you If John likes driving, he has a CDL and thats gold in the transportation business, and I'll bet Albuquerque is a great short haul hub..:-)
As others have said, sounds good/bad. I hope a solution presents itself that makes everyone happy.
Lovely selection of photos. In my personal experience, giving the boot to a lousy job is the best thing one can do. I'm sure another door will open, one that will allow the family more time together. I'll send positive thoughts! {{{hugs}}}
Oh, Lisa, so sorry to hear all this but as others have said, when one door closes another opens. The truck driving job doesn't sound like it was a good one for you all anyway. I hope that things work out and a job that will be for the good of all will come along. Being home with family is so important.
blessings to you all,
Jane
Hi Lisa, Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. Hopefully everything will be ok soon..:)
My dh went to school and hired on with CRE, too. Six weeks and we brought him home. Our autistic son stopped eating/drinking, so we had no choice. Seems CRE has problems keeping drivers.
Glad your dh is home!
Post a Comment