Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Trail Ride in the Snow

 

 I thought I wasn’t going to make the trail ride on Monday morning. My tummy was all tied up in knots and I had to make frequent trips to the bathroom (I know….TMI). This happened before the horsemanship clinic last weekend, too. I suppose it’s just nerves, even though I do look forward to riding. And once I start riding, then I feel better and everything just clicks and feels right. But it’s getting out the door that seems to be the biggest challenge.

I packed up my helmet, my stuffed saddle bag and my black cotton reins and headed down the road.

I made it there in time to help Colleen finish tacking up my horse, Rosie, and with Colleen’s help, I used the horse trailer’s ramp to mount Rosie, and we set off down the trail.

IMG_7437

This trail ride was only 15 minutes from my house in the Manzano Mountains around Oak Flats Picnic Grounds. The elevation is above 7,600ft and the trails are in the trees, so it’s cooler up there and there was still at least 6” of snow on the ground from our last snowfall. There were also many snowdrifts which we all tried to avoid because of possible hazardous holes and ice underneath.

IMG_7429

 

In fact two of the horses did end up slipping and falling down with their riders. Anna and her mare were moving off the trail and stepped into a deep snowdrift. Her mare fell down, but Anna didn’t fall off, and her mare just hopped right back up quickly. Cheri’s gelding slipped and fell to his knees, as she was turning him on an icy section of trail, and unfortunately she did tumble off onto her backside. She and her horse, Jackson (recently adopted from the horse rescue) weren’t hurt, though they may be sore tonight. She was one tough cowgirl, and got right back up in the saddle and we rode for another hour afterwards. She only complained later about having a cold and numb tush from her jeans getting wet when she landed in the snow. But she kept riding. I was impressed.

IMG_7443

We rode for over 2 hours, mostly following some old ATV tracks or blazing our own trail. I saw many different animal prints, including deer, rabbit and what appeared to be bear paw prints, even though I would think they’d be hibernating this time of year. I was wearing 4 layers, so I was cozy and comfortable the entire ride, and because there wasn’t any wind among the trees, and the temperature was in the 40’s, it didn’t feel too cold.

IMG_7448

(The following photos of me were taken by my friend, Colleen. I think she could use a camera upgrade. What do you think?hehe!)

IMG_0647

IMG_0661

 

IMG_0652

 

Nothing much bothers Rosie as long as she can get a good look at it as we walk on by, but Rosie doesn’t like other horses in her space or following too closely, unless they are her barn buddies. If a horse she doesn’t like is too close, Rosie makes an odd guttural rumbling in her throat that sounds like she’s growling and she gives a cock-eyed look at the horse that is annoying her. It’s pretty funny. We just stay towards the back by ourselves and let everyone pass us or we warn them to stay back. If they have trouble keeping their horse back I just let her trot ahead to give us more space.

IMG_7450     

I rarely ever let Baby Doll trot or lope. She would pin her ears flat like she was as mad as a wet cat and then I felt like I was riding a jackhammer when she’d move into a trot or a lope. It actually hurt my back and neck, so it was no fun at all. But riding Rosie’s cute little trot is so much fun! She won’t trot unless asked, but I could feel that she wanted to, so I clucked her into a trot every chance we got.

Another very amusing thing that Rosie does is a full body ‘dog shake’ while her rider is on her back. The first time she did it to me was in the arena during the horsemanship clinic. Since it was only my first time back in the saddle, it rather startled me, but then I thought it was kind of fun. Rosie was polite enough not to do her full body ‘dog shake’ while I was riding her bareback, though. I don’t think I could have held on. Rosie did the ‘dog shake’ several times during our trail ride in the snow and it was like sitting on a washing machine during the spin cycle. It made me laugh. Somehow I think that’s one of the reasons she does it, too.

Just when our toes and fingers were starting to get cold we headed back to the parking lot and tied up our horses. Rosie went right to sleep after I gave her a couple carrots.

IMG_7456

Then we headed inside the LQ of Colleen’s horse trailer to chat about our ride and eat our lunches.

IMG_7451

Afterwards we got all the horses’ tack removed and got them loaded, and then headed home.

IMG_7455

It wasn’t until I got home that I was able to fully wrap my mind around what I had just accomplished. I sat down on my bed with a cup of hot tea and looked over the photos and videos remembering the experiences of the trail ride, realizing that just a little over a year ago, I had went on a trail ride, on Christmas Eve, in the snow on my mare, something I had always wanted to do. But it ended in pain and lots of suffering and frustration and a year spent healing. Oh! And a huge loss of self-confidence while gaining lots of fear, too.

So, not only did I slay the dragon of fear, by finally getting back up on Baby Doll recently, I got the generous opportunity to be able to press the ‘Do-Over Button’ and ride a horse on a snow-covered trail without the experience ending badly.

 

And it was fun!

54 comments :

Desert Rose said...

You gotta be just on cloud 9!!! Snow is a hard ride, the horses get snow ball build up on their hoofs so then they slip a bit, you can't see anything beneath the snow and you have to watch for icy spots! I loved it that you kept talking to Rosie saying Good Girl over and over and also saying walk to her. My horses have an extensive vocabulary...makes it a bit hard for someone else riding them if they don't know the right words. I began using a saying my daughter uses with her boys. You say...wait...WAIT! because the first wait never works it comes out WAIT WAIT! And both of mine do wait! You just take it slow and easy in getting back into it...but keep on moving in the right direction!

Unknown said...

Looks like another perfect day in the Mountains, I feel like I went along for the ride with you. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am so glad you are enjoying riding again. I am living vicariously through your posts, I want to be back in New Mexico so badly.

Anonymous said...

Rosie is a champ and you are a star! Congratulations!

Leah Fry said...

That is so cool. Rosie sounds like she's worth her weight in gold.

Spring Lake Farm said...

You should be very proud of yourself. And how awesome to trail ride in the snow. I'm very jealous!!!

Congrats on how far you've come!

Sandy

TxFarmhouse said...

Yeehaw, Lisa, you go girl! You gotta be pretty darn good to ride, lope and still hold a camera. I want to go ride so bad but it's very muddy around here. Some of the neighbors have been out riding..I'll wait til things dry out a bit.
Good to see ya back in the saddle,
Berte

colleen said...

Woo Hoo!!!! I'm so proud of you! How I wish I could of gone with you. I would love to experience riding in the snow. It looked like alot of fun. I hope this is the first of many rides that you take.

phaedra96 said...

This little mare is just what you need; safe, sane and has a sense of humor! I love her. Sounds like a great fit there.

Gail said...

Atta girl! I knew you could do it.

lisa said...

That is great Lisa, I have given up on lessons until the cold weather goes up a few degrees. My trainer is on maternity leave but as soon as she is back I will be back in the saddle myself. I still can't ride my own horses at home right now. I am hoping this spring I will be taking Sirocco to the stable and riding there! You go girl, you are a head of me.

lisa said...

You go Lisa, you are doing so much better than I am. I have been taking lessons at my bosses barn to get over my fear, but I really want to get on my own horses which will take time. I am thinking of taking my horses to their barn this spring and have my trainer ride just to get more training for him then I will ride at the same time. I guess it just takes time and I have to just put the time in. Easier said then done when my schedule is pretty full as it is, but at least the barn is only down the road from where I work! You are doing really good!

Mrs. Mom said...

YAY!! GOOOOO LISA!!!

Loved the pix and hearing your description of the ride in the snow!!!!

PROUD OF YOU GIRL!!!

Deb said...

so glad your getting to ride again and your trip turned out well...pretty horses...

KD said...

YEE-HAW!!!

Kathy said...

You are very brave to not only be riding in such cold weather, but also when you're not feeling well! Here in Florida I won't go out when it's below 60!

Cheryl Ann said...

Lisa, you really accomplished a lot! I'm so happy for you! Rosie sounds like a true gem! My cousin's horses are all like that. In fact, I rode her gelding, Romeo (yes!) before I fell and tweeked my back! He is very well trained and very calm. She takes him out on the desert and mountain trails.

Unknown said...

You didn't give up, Lisa, and that's a huge accomplishment and a lesson you are teaching your children.

You and I are not horse trainers. We aren't people who have been on the back of horses for the bulk of our childhood or adult life. But we are determined.

Set backs are tough to overcome, especially when you have a huge number of people giving you what is often contradictory advice.

I think you've made tough but rational choices. It's not easy, this journey we've chosen. The difficulties don't end.

But we don't give up. Proud of you, girl. Very, very proud of you.

(btw, the appy is cheap. $500 I think. He's old, little, but stout. I'm planning a trip to NM in February and have a trailer... Call Donna if you're interested)

Unknown said...

Good job Lisa!

Funny thing about Rosie shaking. Naigen used to do that but only when she had a saddle on her back. She would do it once or twice when I did birthday parties with her. It would startle kids but they all laughed after the initial shake.

Mikey said...

You are so amazing!!! Back in the saddle again! Good job, and what a great ride!!

Cactus Jack Splash said...

You should be so proud of yourself, that trail ride was a giant accomplishment for you. I am so glad you have a steady horse to help you through this time of confidence building. You will be back to your old self soon.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

You should be so proud of yourself. This was a big step, I know I have been there. It is nice to see you back in the saddle with a steady confidence building horse. When you get through this troubling patch you will be much stronger inside.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm amazed that you found the full body shake to be fun. Of all the various horse stunts I've experienced, that's the one I dread the most. I once slid head-first partially down Bombay's neck while he was shaking. Fortunately, that startled him and he lifted his head high, which set me back into the saddle. It's hard to hang on. That looked like a very enjoyable ride. You must have felt so good about the whole thing.

small farm girl said...

Good job!!!!! Isn't it funny how a good horse makes all the difference? Keep going!

gtyyup said...

What a fun day and a great accomplishment for you!!! Ya gotta be proud of yourself. Lil' Rosie is a wonderful trail horse.

Congrats!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

WOW! This looks like Too Much Fun! Thanks for taking us along, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

The Good Life in Virginia said...

the ride looks like it was a whole lot of fun...and rosie looks like she's a gentle soul. makes a huge difference, doesn't it?
glad to see you up and riding and enjoying the outdoors.

take care my friend.
many hugs always

Shirley said...

Bravo! riding a good horse, and confident enough to video, never mind just taking photos! Rosie is a character, hope you get to ride her more often. The body shake- just stand in the stirrups and hold the saddle horn

Christy said...

I'm happy for you! It seems like Rosie is a good horse.

Mama H said...

Wow! I have never ridden in the snow; its something that I really want to experience. How beautiful! My horse does the full body shake too! I think it feels funny. I don't know the full story of your injury, but you look great up on that horse. Your seat and your face, confidence embodied. Keep it up!

Lisa said...

How awesome!!! I loved the videos & pictures. I've never ridden in snow so I am jealous!!! Glad you had such a great time & are feeling so good about yourself and thankful the horses & riders who tooks spills are okay.
Lisa

DesertHen said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day! =) Rosie sounds like a wonderful horse. I rode a Rosie when learning to ride as a youngster! The horse I had as a teen would do the "dog" body shake thing too...it was always funny!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

I enjoyed the video's, riding in the snow was a great challenge for ya, was a beautiful day. I can tell that I would just love riding Rosie. I'm happy for ya Lisa.

Carla said...

Great videos! They'll remind you that you can do this. You just have to have the right horse under you.

Dan and Betty said...

Well done, friend. I'm amazed how well you kept the camera still while you shot your videos. That's hard to do in the trot.

Dan

jane augenstein said...

Hurray for you!!! What a great time and this should really be a big feather in your confidence cap. You go girl!!!
Love the pictures and videos! YAY!!!
hugs....
Jane

Crystal said...

Looks like fun, I enjoy riding in snow too. Looks like you and Rosie are getting along really well!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

OK, I'm officially jealous of the snow ride (all except the slipping & falling down). Congrats on your comeback snow ride - great to conquer the dragon fear isn't it.
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Paint Girl said...

That is so great!! I am so happy to see you back on a horse, and enjoying every minute of it!!
Love the snow ride, I haven't done that since I was a kid!! So much fun!!

cdncowgirl said...

Good on ya! Way to stay positive and conquer your fears.
That trail ride looks like it was an awesome way to spend the day.

You know, much as I encourage you to keep BD and work through your issues IF that's what YOU CHOOSE I also think that it might be a very good idea to find a new mount.

oh, and thanks for the pics and videos... it was nice to ride along with you and your friends :)

jacksonsgrrl said...

So glad you are riding a nice sane horse to gain your confidence back. Exactly what you need! I'm so sorry to hear that you sold BD but I'm sure you sent her to a great home and she will have a job which will give her purpose! You gave it the time, and came to the correct decision for you, so no beating yourself up over it! Enjoy your trail rides on a PREDICTABLE horse, and if you are already trotting, I'd say the confidence is coming back quickly! Hooray! And tell your friend I really love her rig! My dream after obtaining my own ranch! Like that'll happen on a nurse's salary and being
a single mom!
Slainte'
~Mindy

Girl Tornado said...

Lisa, my hat is off to you, not only for getting back up in the saddle, but for riding in the cold weather! Whew girl!!! I'm a fair weather rider, if at all. :)

Rosie sounds like an awesome horse, just the right one for you to get your confidence back, and it sounds like that is exactly what you are doing.

Kudos girl, I'm so happy for you. :) :)

The Wades said...

I'm so happy for you. Just so you know, I love Rosie for being nice to you. Great horses are the best!

Janice said...

Yay Lisa. It sounds like you are refinding the joy of horses. looks good on ya!

Jeanne Frances Klaver said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a link to your experience with El Santuario de Chimayo. My husband has kidney cancer and was given only a few weeks to live in 2001. We visited Chimayo and I put a vial of healing dirt in one of my medicine bags. Husband is still alive today! We have a condo in Santa Fe and love spending time in NM. Thank you so much for sharing your story. In addition, I congratulate you for getting back on the horse. You are a courageous woman! I have standard poodles and in the early-90's had a difficult black standard. His antics remind me a lot of the way Baby Doll acts. Big difference is that I didn't have to ride him, but I certainly did have to reign him in time and again! After a few years, it just wasn't fun any more. I missed him when he passed, but at the same time it was a relief to be able to spend time with my other dogs without fear of him doing something or other to spoil my day. By the way, Rosie is not too small for you—not at all.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Looks like a great ride! Yay for you and Rosie!

Sarah said...

I am so proud of you! It all looks like so much fun and what great memories and experiences you had!

Pony Girl said...

FUN! I love that Rosie! Is she for sale?? LOL! :)
I have always wanted to ride in the snow, but I do see the hidden dangers. I saw The Horse Whisperer, goodness!
My Boy does those full body shapes after a long ride and he's sweaty or dusty (or maybe he's just done and trying to get me off his back?) Usually it catches me off guard and I ended up whacking my arm on the cantle or saddle horn. Stinker!
Good for you Lisa, this sounds like it was a step up the confidence ladder for you!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Lisa, This was such a joy to read, you had such a great time with Rosie..she seems like a real dream!! What a great accomplishment for you..trail riding was what you wanted a horse for..even though you used a different horse..you came a long way!! Way to go!! :)

Callie said...

Awesome! Glad you did it successfully! Watching the video from Rosie's and your perspective reminds me of my Misty mare. I have to ask. Does Rosie take her time sight seeing and then realize the other horses are much further ahead of her and break into a trot to catch up, but only a little?

Patrinas Pencil said...

Just goes to show, it isn't the rider that's the problem. You ride just fine - Look at you, yoo even ride and carry a camera.

I'm so pleased that you followed your heart and walked through this thing - and came out on top - of the horse that is! :)

I do appreciate you kindest comments on my blog. You are pretty special. I do hope that you know that.

Blessings, my friend

<")><

Grey Horse Matters said...

Rosie sounds like one of those rare horses that is super special. What a great confidence builder, she's worth her weight in gold. Good for you for going on out there and just doing it!

Cousin B said...

Hay! thanks for stopping by my blog. Welcome! I had to check yours out, and its GREAT! I am so jealous you can trot AND take video at the same time!!! I haven't caught what your injury was, but you are doing wonderful! And that looks like a nice ride!

Tammy Vasa said...

Good for you!!! I am so happy you had a good ride! That Rosie is a gem! :))))

CTG Ponies said...

Excellent! I'm so happy that you were able to get out and have a nice and relaxed ride - relaxed enough to take pics. It's my favorite thing to do in the world.