Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Young Eagles ~ Flying High

 

Last weekend, on Saturday night, my twinlings were invited over to their best buddy’s house for a sleep-over. But if that wasn’t exciting enough for them, the next morning they were offered a surprise flight by their friend’s Dad, Roald who owns a beautiful Cessna 195, built in 1952.

IMG_7346 

Roald just happens to be a a participating member of the EAA Young Eagles Program, and volunteers his time to share the thrill of aviation and give a whole new perspective of the world, for young people. He has shared his passion for flying countless times with others over the years and even influenced some to become pilots themselves.

(Yes, that’s my twinling Jax wearing trout-printed, flannel pajama pants. He is a confidant boy that marches by the beat of a different drummer and is proud of it, too. I tease him that he may end up on People of Walmart one day. lol!)

IMG_7333

 

I drove over to the airfield, only about 15 minutes from our house to meet them there, take photos and see the excitement in their eyes. The neighborhood that the airfield is located was created just for homeowners who own their own aircraft and want to be able to park them at home and fly at any time.

IMG_7423 

I found many of the house designs interesting and got a kick out of seeing the huge attached garages, not meant for cars, but for planes instead.

IMG_7331

I wouldn’t mind having a house with a barn attached, though. How about you?

IMG_7330

IMG_7325

My favorite were the Southwestern Pueblo designed homes with aircraft garages.

IMG_7326

IMG_7328

And this house even has a heli-pad.

IMG_7362

All of the roads in the neighborhood are taxiways, and aircraft have the right of way, of course.

IMG_7422

After completing the EAA Young Eagles paperwork it was time to prepare to fly!

IMG_7335

Waving goodbye!

IMG_7340

Jax and Jem’s buddy, C. I know my boys enjoyed the flight so much more because they were able to fly with their friend, C, too.

IMG_7338 

Taxi-ing towards the road.

IMG_7347

 

And taxi-ing down the roadway.

IMG_7350

Preparing to taxi onto the runway.

IMG_7360

Here’s a video of their actual take-off!

 

And they’re up flying high!

IMG_7372

They flew above the mountains and plains for about 30 minutes, even flying over our house, which they really enjoyed. Roald also allowed them to experience the rare thrill of 0 Gravity by doing a ‘Roller Coaster’ maneuver. My boys loved that best of all, of course!

While they were flying, my friend Suzanne and I hung out with our daughters in the hangar. The girls did some ‘flying’ over their own.

IMG_7378

This is Roald’s other plane. Suzanne used to pilot this plane years ago.

IMG_7389 

 

They did a fly-by before coming back around to land. Notice the plane on the runway? It had just landed as they flew overhead. I wish I could have captured the plane on the ground a little better. It would have made for a unique photo.

IMG_7371

And they’re on the ground!

IMG_7398

They taxied in on the neighborhood roads.

IMG_7403

I like this photo because it looks like Jenna and her friend are tiny people standing on the tail of plane. lol!

IMG_7406

And I took a video of the engine shutting down and my twinlings’ first impressions of their flight.

Happy Faces!

IMG_7408

Jenna climbed up to see what it felt like to sit in a small plane. Roald is just so generous and patient with the kids.

IMG_7412

The cockpit and control panel.

IMG_7413

The boys were happy to help Roald push the Cessna back into the hangar.

IMG_7417

Roald takes excellent care of his aircraft and it shows.

IMG_7421

I think owning an airplane isn’t a whole lot different than owning a horse. They are both expensive hobbies, the owner takes pride in both their aircraft or their horse, they both consume large quantities (gas or hay), they require proper housing and maintenance, they can sometimes come up lame, and they take you where you want to go and can be a lot of fun to ride.

Suzanne brought a big carton of fresh blueberries for the kids to eat after their flight. After my flight I think I’d prefer some champagne, though. hehe!

IMG_7419

 

Afterwards they were given their EAA Young Eagles Certificates and informational aviation brochures

IMG_7427

They’ll also be receiving a newsletter in a few weeks and were registered as official Young Eagles. EAA also provides many opportunities for young people interested in pursuing a future in aviation with scholarships, internships, and an online academic course in aviation science. Check ‘em out!     

 

39 comments :

Dusty Devoe said...

I bet the twinlings had a blast! You got some really great pictures!

Crystal said...

That sounds awesome!
Our neighbor has a plane and I want to go up with them, but I am also afraid, they arent very big planes.

And it made me laugh when you relate them to horses.

Pony Girl said...

Oh, that is so great! What an amazing adventure, I can tell they loved it. You got some great pictures, too!!
I read your comment on my blog~ I will definitely come to New Mexico some day to visit you! I didn't mean to leave out all my NM blogger friends out!! :) To be honest, I am probably more interested in visiting NM after reading blogs like yours and the 7msn ranch, than before. For example, I didn't know it even snowed there! I just assumed it was nothing but desert. Thanks for showing me a little bit of your world!

Paint Girl said...

How cool is that? I can see the excitement on their faces!! I bet they will be talking about the plane for a long time!!

Patrinas Pencil said...

This was fun, Lisa. What a treasured memory. Cute about the horse/airpalne thing. I think you got it right.
thanks for sharing.

<")>><

Unknown said...

My dad who lives near you in Mountainair is a pilot and I grew up in small planes like that one, that is so much fun. Your boys may get the bug. I still have a small thought in the back of my head that I would like to get my pilots license someday. Really great pictures. What kind of camera do you use?

Leah Fry said...

What a great opportunity and how nice of that man. Amazing neighborhood. I always wondered how the other half lives LOL!

colleen said...

I have to say that I think It's just the coolest place! Amazing that you can just drive your plane out of your hanger, down the road, and take off. NM is proving to be an amazing place the more I learn about it.

I'm glad the twinlings got the chance to do something so incredible. You are an amazing mother to provide your children with so many different experiences. I don't know if I would be brave enough to let my kids go up.

Desert Rose said...

How fun for them!!! Looks like they had a great time and it will stay with them for a long time!

TxFarmhouse said...

How cool is that for a kid to go up in a plane like that!! I think as a mother I would be standing there on the runway with my stomach in my throat. That's the way I'd be everytime my daughter would make a "rodeo run". And those garages are a sight! My gosh..they are the size of my house!
Berte

Laura said...

What a great opportunity for the boys!! I think it is so great for people (and kids!) to get an opportunity to fly in small planes like that...

My father in law and hubby are both pilots (small planes) so I have been fortunate to have several opporunities like that. Roald sounds alot like my f-i-l - he used to love taking people for flights (he just sold his plane last year). Both of them would loooove to live in a neighbourhood where the house have garages for the planes and the roads are runways... :-)

lisa said...

That is so cool! My kids of loved that. You are so lucky to live where you do. Lots of interesting things!

Carla said...

Brave mommy!!
I'm glad they enjoyed it. I'll be it was beautiful--something they'll never forget.

Deb said...

how very exciting for the twinlings...great photos...did their friend have a puka shell necklace???? remember those from the 70's...LOL

gtyyup said...

That was a great opportunity for the boys! And I think you had just as much fun ;~)

duffylou said...

What fabulous pictures! Your kids can live this wonderful adventure over and over again through your photos. They will never forget such a great day in their lives!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I hope that aviation neighborhood is a sign of the future. I'd like to see more neighborhoods built around hobbies and interests. Obviously, people who love planes and helicopters wouldn't mind the noise and activity of other pilots doing their thing around their house. I'd love to live in a more horse-sensitive community where people with loud engines and construction workers are not allowed. Then there could be neighborhoods for motorcyclists and ATV fans (far away from the horse neighborhoods). Construction workers can all work out of their homes in a construction neighborhood and admire each other's tools. Wouldn't it be great?

Anonymous said...

a most excellent series of captures lisa. and a most interesting post.
the weather looks good in your part of the world :) no snow on the ground;0
have a wonderful rest of the week!
many hugs to you.

Susan said...

What a neat adventure. Our neighbor has a small airplane, but he crashed it. He's ok, but the plane needs a lot of work.
By the way, I used to live near Taos.

Now Thats A Trot! said...

How cool!

I love that aircraft development, I never knew such a thing existed! Some friends of mine used to have a boat and they were able to dock it right outside their beach house, but it's just not quite the same as having an airplane in your garage!

Unknown said...

Wow that sounds like a really neat program! And the fact that it is endorsed by Harrison Ford is a bonus to me. I really like the guy and he is an OUTSTANDING private pilot.

Looks like your kids had a blast and that it was a fun day out.

Jocelyn said...

How super fun is that? The kiddos faces tell the whole story!

I would love to have an airplane and just hop and go flying ! IN my backyard to boot !

Unknown said...

A house with a barn attached? How about a barn with a house on top! Hah that would be my dream, so awesome.

Thats a lot of fun flying. Theres an air strip in a few fields here you can see the guy zooming over on good days.
Once I was driving one of the horses and the airplane came down SOOOOO low right over top of us. The horse just about did the splits in four directions and hit the deck. Scary.

Unknown said...

Oh and I know val is interested in getting a horse hair item made. If you can convince her to send the hair if you haven't sent your package yet I will give it to her as a pay it forward ;) Just label each bundle of hair ok?

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

dang, I don't even have a carport for my pickup truck, and y'all have neighbors with airplanes and garages.

I keep trying to pronounce Roald with out an n.

I see Harrison Ford on that brochure.

Mama H said...

How cool! What an amazing experience for your boys. And what a unique neighborhood. Never would have thought something like that existed, although its not much different from the equine neighborhoods you see around here, with bridlepaths along the streets and everything. I hope your boys continue showing interest in flying; I would love to see more pictures. They came out great!

Sarah said...

How neat! That is an exceptionally special occasion! I've often thought it would be fun to learn to fly a plane and have a little one like that. But between the two, I have to say I'd choose a horse.
I sent you an email to your twinville account. Didn't know if you'd get it in time, so thought I'd give you a heads up to check it on here!
Great photos to document their experience!

Reddunappy said...

Cool cool outing for the boys! I bet they just had a blast!
I would have had no fingernails left LOL waiting for them to get back to Earth! I have flown in a small plane when I was a kid and my Dad took flying lessons, but I really do not like flying!

Janice said...

Very cool post. I am always so amazed at the amount of things you and your family do. I bet those boys were so excited they could hardly stand it. Great pics too by the way.

small farm girl said...

How cool is that!!!!! That was very nice of that man. Your boys will always remember that.

dreameyce said...

WOW! We have a program like that out here too, but my daughter is still too young, as they have to be 8. 3 more years we keep saying!

Great pics, and such an exciting story :)

Mom L said...

What a great day for the boys! I still remember the time, about 50 (!!) years ago when my Dad had a friend take us up in his plane and even let me take the wheel and stick (or whatever) for a couple of minutes - what a thrill!

Nancy in Iowa

StefRobrts said...

What a wonderful experience for them! That plane is beautiful!

Those houses are beautiful too - we have a similar neighborhood in our area, where there is a community around a little airstrip, but they share a big hangar. I've never seen a neighborhood where everyone has their own hangar! Neat!

Dan and Betty said...

Great experience. I love to fly in small planes, but I have had that opportunity only a couple of times.

Dan

jane augenstein said...

I'll bet the boys were thrilled beyond words to be flying!!! Years ago I got to go up in a plane, I was dating a guy who was a sky diver. I got to go up in the plane and watch him jump out. I had on a harness that was clipped to a bolted ring in the floor. The pilot dipped the planes wings so I could really see, it took my breath away!!! What a ride!
Beautiful pictures and story, how fun!
hugs...
Jane

Sherry Sikstrom said...

How exciting for the kids! Great project.The houses with hangars attatched are pretty cool too

Lori Skoog said...

I would love to have a house with the barn attached.

Of course you took some great shots!
again!!!

CTG Ponies said...

Now, THAT is quite an outing! How cool that they are able to go up in a private plane!

Celeste said...

What a fantastic opportunity, your boys are so lucky.