Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Extreme Snowy Mountain Cowgirl Club

 

This is the third and final installment, sharing my experiences and thoughts from the Walk/Trot/Canter/Trail Ride class I participated in last weekend, on Saturday.

 

As I spoke about in my last post, Colleen took a larger group of us out for a relatively easy ride over the flats and gentle rolling hills on the northwestern side of the property. We rode for about an hour over there and then when we came back, she offered an additional, optional ride on the more ‘difficult’ rugged southern and eastern sides of the property. Four of the riders decided they had ridden long enough, so we went back to the arena and we rode around in there for a few minutes and then rode back to the stables so they could get their horses un-tacked and put away.

I was very surprised that Rosie’s rider, L, decided not to join us for the more challenging trail ride. I rode her on those same trails just last month. Rosie’s so easy to ride and would have been the perfect way to help rebuild her confidence. L owns an Arabian mare and hasn’t been able to ride her for many months due to working so much. And when she has tried, her mare has acted up and been difficult and scary to ride. She said several times to me that she enjoyed riding Rosie, but that Rosie also scared her a little. And when I’d look back at her during the trail ride, she’d have Rosie’s reins pulled up tight while saying ‘whoa!’. Rosie does mosie along really slow at the walk, but she sometimes likes to trot and catch up when she gets too far behind, but she’s fun and she moves so smoothly. And there is the issue of Rosie not liking any other horses, which some folks might get concerned about when a horse pins their ears, looks back and gives the stink-eye, while growling at another horse. Yep. That’s Rosie. hehe!

I didn’t mind it as long as I could just ride at the back of the line of riders. I actually prefer to ride on my own anyway. I always enjoyed my rides on Baby Doll where it was the two of us. I think it’s easier to focus on my horse and not get distracted by conversations with other people and their horses (especially if their horses are acting up). I like to get into a sort of riding zone (zen?), too. I get really quiet and some folks might think something’s wrong, but I’m really just focusing and enjoying myself.

(That’s a photo I took from Rosie’s back, below, from one of our recent trail rides)

IMG_7843

 

Anyway, when L decided not to ride the more challenging trails, Colleen asked me if I wanted to trade Atta Bay and ride Rosie instead.

I thought about it for a brief minute and then told Colleen that I’d rather ride Atta Bay.

I think she may have been a little surprised, but I think I surprised myself even more. I could have ridden Rosie and been able to just relax on the second half of the trail ride. I could have just pulled out my camera and shot some video and taken some photos from her broad back, while she motored on through the snow and mud.

But I didn’t feel that Atta Bay was too much horse for me. Heck, Baby Doll was a bigger handful and more of a challenge than Atta Bay had been by far.

Yes, I could have just simply taken the easy way out and rode sweet Rosie, but I wanted to prove to myself that I could ride Atta Bay, especially on the more technically challenging trails. And obviously, Colleen had faith that I could handle the spirited Atta Bay, so I wasn’t going to let her down either.

(This photo cracks me up. At the time, Colleen was trying to get everyone lined up for a photo, and Atta Bay decided that standing still for a photo was just no fun. So we danced and circled, and she tossed her head around for a couple of minutes until I got fed up with her impatience and I growled at her, “CUT IT OUT!….STAND!” Colleen laughed and said, “There ya go! You know how to talk to my horses!”

I used to growl at Baby Doll all the time, but she would argue right back. But I guess Atta Bay took me seriously because afterwards she behaved and stood still until we were done with photos. haha!)

IMG_8201 

Well, when we were done with photos, our little riding group rode up and down ridges and through and around groves of trees, slogging through the snow and mud.

We had a great time and everyone got excited when I added the word ‘Extreme’ to our unofficial riding club’s name of: The Snowy Mountain Cowgirl Club. We whooped and hollered and yipped and yeehawed!

Atta Bay spooked a little bit at all the noise and commotion, but it was no big deal, nothing like Baby Doll’s bolting and teleportation spookings. And the only mishap that happened during the ride was when Colleen’s horse, one of the rescues from the ranch, got a little too close to a cholla cactus, leaving behind some sharp thorns in Colleen’s knee. ouch!

I was really impressed with one of the other riders, C. She adopted a sweet gelding from Walkin N Circles Horse Rescue, named Caesar. Even though he struggles with constant medical issues due to having cancerous growths on his ear, she and her husband fell in love with him. She took him out on our Oak Flats ride last month. She was one of the riders who fell, when Caesar slipped. C knows how much he loves to canter on trail rides and she lets him have fun, while she does too. He’s the horse I took one of my favorite photos of, back in October during the ACTHA Halloween Trail Ride. C and Caesar were volunteering as Trail Safety Crew members during that ride. I just happened to look down and see them standing there inside the arena and grabbed my camera. I love this photo!

IMG_3740

 

You can also see him in our group photo, too. He’s the horse at the far right, with the shaved areas on his neck. That’s me on Atta Bay on the far left.

IMG_8200

 

Saturday’s class was really beneficial for me. And the 2 1/2 hour trail ride on a new and more challenging horse makes me realize that I CAN do this. I don’t have to give up on my dreams. When I’m riding horses, it just feels right. I feel like I’m where I belong.

And after a tiring trail ride with a horse that tested my mettle, I felt an incredible sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, and as I drove the long, twisting, hilly road home……………the smile never left my face.

IMG_8202

 

Thanks for following along during this 3-part series and sharing my personal journey. Many of you have been with me from the very beginning, when I bought my mare Baby Doll, and during all of my challenges with her. And you were around when I fell off my horse and had to endure surgery, pain, frustration and even a second injury caused by my mare. And you’ve followed along even when I couldn’t ride for a year during my rehabilitation and healing.

You all were there for me, with your words of encouragement and kudos when I finally got back up on my mare for the first time, too. And then you were there providing words of understanding and support after I finally made the tough decision to find a new home for Baby Doll. You’ve all been here with me cheering me on in my journey back to horse riding again, too. I can’t even begin to express how much y’all mean to me. I know that I have determination and take my goals seriously, but I don’t think I could have come this far without all of my blogger friends’ support, encouragement and camaraderie.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!    

37 comments :

CottonLady said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you and your success in riding again. You have been thru alot and came out on top.
I am from West Texas and have been watching your blog for some time and felt for you and your struggles with your injuries. You're doing great!

StefRobrts said...

You make me want to be brave and go riding again! If you can still do it after all you've been through, I feel like I should buck up and chase that dream. Someday...

Pony Girl said...

I love that you growled at Atta Bay. Sometimes, a firm voice is all they need to know they are to knock it off! :)
You have been on quite a journey, and I'm so excited you are back in the saddle, Lisa! Can't wait to see what horse plans you have in store for yourself this spring and summer!

Anonymous said...

Just wonderful - it's so great that it feels good again to you!

small farm girl said...

You sound like you enjoyed your ride. I'm glad you went and stayed on Atta Bay. I can tell your confidence is really improving.

I feel like you when it comes to my fellow bloggers. It seems more like family than anything else.

Once again, Congrats!!!!

Leah Fry said...

That is so great. And good for you for sticking with Atta Bay! That perfect pony will come your way before you know it.

Jeni said...

WHooo HoOoO Lisa !!!!

Lori Skoog said...

I don't go back to day one with you, but since I have been visiting there have been many changes. You have finally hit the jackpot and are in such a good place with your riding.
Having support makes a difference.

Winnie (who just left my barn) had a growth in her ear that was cancerous...the vet gave her a red salve (can find out what it was...I know it was made of blood root) and after 4 applications it did not take long for it to disappear. If the owner of Caeser has not done this, it might help. Let me know and I can call the Vet. It has made a difference in 90% of the horses she has treated. Learned about it through Cornell (Vet school).

KD said...

Congrats Lisa ! Glad you are having so much fun again!

When you talk about BD teleporting it reminds me so much of my friend Cathy's horse Busta. (the big b/w Paint) When he spooks HARD to the left, she almost always flies off "exit, stage right". He does that same kind of spook where he's here one second, over there 10-12 feet away the same second. He doesn't do it as often, but it almost always unseats her. :-( The funny thing is that he a very curious, non spooky horse on the ground - it's just when we're trail riding that he will jump like that. The last time, it was just some of our fellow riders coming out of a trail to the side.

colleen said...

Ahhhh, sweet success! I feel horses are just part of my soul, and you seem to have realized that too. You belong up on one, it's good for your soul and mind.
I haven't ridden in years as I'm too big, but just being around a horse, listening to the snuffling and smelling the sweet muzzle makes me calmer and more at peace.
I'm glad to have shared your journey and look forward to a new one when you find your perfect partner.

Laura said...

It is so wonderful to hear you talk about your riding clinics and how much your confidence has soared in the past few weeks!

I am totally envious of all of the trail riding you are doing!

jane augenstein said...

Good for you Lisa!!! Sticking with a more challenging horse, that's GREAT!!! Building more confidence each time you work through a tough situation, good going!
You have been through a lot in your horse journey, keep going. I have not been through near what you have but I have been on the ground a lot of times. I just keep climbing back up in the saddle. Yes, it is scary at times but I do it anyway and so have you!
I hope you find a horse soon so you can just hop on and go when ever you want!
Having a horse around is like having air, ya gotta have 'em to live!
hugs....
Jane

lisa said...

Just Great Lisa! Keep on going!

Alison said...

Yay! This is my favorite post of the three.

It feels like you're starting to ride more because you like it, and less as an exercise in confidence building. You're in a much better place than you were when I first found you.

And you know what? So is Baby Doll! (any updates on her?)

Unknown said...

Congrats for doing such a challenging thing for yourself. It'll make you a better person ;)

Shirley said...

Atta girl! I figured you's stay on AttaBay and challenge yourself. Open up doors, doesn't it, when you realize that things you thought were too much for you become things you have done.

EvenSong said...

Good on ya! for not taking the easy way out with sweet Rosie. You met the challenge and conquered it! Now think of all the exciting challenges ahead...

Shelly's Stuff said...

Wow! What a great story. I am very happy for you. I believe I've mentioned before that you have been an inspiration as I too have some fears about riding horses. Now, I can't wait for my neighbor's mare to have her foal so I can get back to my riding lessons!

cdncowgirl said...

Good on ya! I am so excited for you and the confidence you're rebuilding :)

Oh, and I love that picture too... with the horse and owner in the sunbeam in the arena.

Jocelyn said...

Thatrs my girl, GROWL AT THAT NAUGHTY PONY!
I growl, and do the low voice UH UH UH or AGH or a super firm STOP IT! . SHe knows, that she is being naughty.

I am so proud of you!

Dan and Betty said...

You're welcome.

Dan

Mama H said...

Congratulations Lisa! It is wonderful to see you up there, smiling and relaxing! Keep your heart open, and the right horse for you will come along. So proud of you for continually facing your fears and challenging yourself, instead of taking the easy way. I can see that horses and riding is something you are definitely passionate about.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Way to go , you are just brimming with confidence! So pleased tyou took Atta BAy on the trail ride!.I love the photo of Ceaser too

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Good job Lisa, you made AttaBay mind you. I like that name - AttaBay. The club is very good for you.

Janice said...

Hey!!! Hey!!! way to go. I just got caught up with your posts.Isn't it funny how we convince ourselves that we can't do something and then you are doing it....good for you Lisa. You are sounding so much happier and confident in the equine department.

Caitlin said...

I too have loved following this series. I came off my horse about a month and a half ago and cracked a couple of ribs. Subsequently, I have been having trouble gathering up the courage to get back on her. Rose is also a little bit of a bully and is green to boot and my balance is always somehow not right. Reading about the classes you have been attending makes me want to find similar classes here where I can work on becoming a better rider and one who has the guts to go jump back on her horse instead of just lesson horses. Thank you so much for posting this inspirational series.

gtyyup said...

Great, great ride and clinic! Very well done girl! Yes, that photo of Ceaser is outstanding, his owner's going to love it.

mrscravitz said...

You have come a very long way, and I applaud you! Now its my turn! LOL This summer I plan to ride Sissy, A LOT!

Desert Rose said...

Oh ya...Jesse and Little Lady get told...QQQQUUUUIIIITTT! Or AAAAAGGGGGHHHH for even pinning their ears. Lady got a slap on the neck at our desert Rodeo yesterday for pinning her ears and side stepping towards another horse! That is NOT playing well with otheres!LOL
If you keep doing these kinds of weekends and ride as many different horses as you can by spring you will be more than ready to be hitting the trail on your own mount!!!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

good job! and nice shot in the arena in the sunlight!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Vaquerogirl said...

I never doubted for a moment that you would recover in spirit, mind or body! I am just bustin' with pride for you! Keep it going girl!

Janet said...

I am so happy for you. It has been a long road and you have found the courage and determination to succeed. Well done! Your ideal horse will turn up when you least expect it.
Best wishes
Janet xx

Andrea said...

Hooray!!! it's so great that you are getting back into the swing of things!!! The right horse definatly makes all the difference!! And it seems like you are on the right road to getting back on and riding!! I have an old mare that I can ride anywhere and she doesn't make me feel all nervous, but my 5 year old gelding....that's a differnt story!!!
Keep up the good work!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I'm happy you stayed on Atta Bay and proved to yourself that you can ride a horse that's a little more challenging than Rosie. It was a great confidence booster. Love that picture in the arena, it's very special.

Good going Lisa!

Callie said...

Good for you, I'm glad you're challenging yourself! Not to mention the fun it sounds like you're having. It's good to drive all the way home with a smile. ;)

Cheryl Ann said...

Lisa, CONGRATS to you! I'm thinking about taking some riding lessons this summer...not from my cousin, but from the owners of the ranch my parents used to own, down in Vista, CA. I could stay with my aunt and uncle, who are only 15 minutes away! Like you, I'd like to start on a very easy-going horse and work my way up! We'll see. But, Lisa, you have given me the INSPIRATION to do this! Thank you so much!

Renee (aka Army Wife) said...

Lisa,

You are my hero! I think of you when I am struggling with my own fear issues. If you can do it, I can sure try to do it, too.