Friday, February 12, 2010

Not a Good Fit

 

 

Colleen and I went to pick up that little black mare today......but she refused to load. Colleen, with all her years of experience with rescued and troubled horses could have probably gotten Blackie loaded, but her owner was coddling her and kept playing Parelli games (while we stood outside in the freezing, furious wind...waiting...and waiting).

IMG_7661

 

After 20 minutes of the mare stepping up inside and then barreling backwards, ramming her butt into the trailer doors the minute we tried to close them, rearing, dancing and pawing, etc I finally said, 'this isn't going to work for me'.

Blackie’s owner said her mare was just not used to the Colleen’s large slant load trailer, or the ramp. She said Blackie had no problems loading in her stock trailer (even though she only loads her when it’s parked, and the last time she was supposedly trailered and ridden was over 4 months ago.)

I knew that wouldn't work for me at all because my trailer has a ramp and is much narrower and smaller than Colleen's trailer and is only a two horse bumper pull.

Blackie was very sweet and affectionate on the ground, but also nosy and pushy and disrespectful of my space. When she turned into me while I led her, I poked her in the chest to get her to take a step backwards, but instead of moving away from me, she pushed back. When Blackie stepped sideways into my space and I poked her ribs, she pushed back into my fingers and refused to move.

IMG_7531

 

And then when we were leading her the 1/4 mile down the muddy, icy road from the barn to Colleen's trailer, the mare continually spooked at the trees. Her owner said that her neighbors have horses and Blackie was probably just expecting them to show up. They never did, though. While Blackie’s owner was leading her and I was walking beside, looking to see how she moved, Blackie balked and then reared up. Colleen happened to look up at that moment and later told me that was an ‘uh oh moment’ and she knew that Blackie wasn’t the horse for me.

Colleen was fair, though, and she didn’t say anything at all, even when I looked at her with raised eyebrows during the trailering fiasco. She let me come to the realization that this horse wasn’t going to be a good fit for me. And she was very proud that I listened to my instincts because I also realized at the moment Blackie reared, while being led, that she was not the horse for me. But I did give her a chance to change my mind.

Curiously enough, her owner told me several times during our visit that she had had a long conversation with Blackie before we arrived. She had told Blackie, “If you don’t want to go with them, you don’t have to. Just make things difficult and you can come back home”

So during Blackie’s owner’s struggles in trying to load her mare (after Colleen and I tried to load her with no success), she kept telling her mare, loud enough for us to hear, “Looks like you’ve made your decision and you want to stay here. I promised you that you could”.

But the most surprising thing for both Colleen and I to see was that, when it was decided that Blackie was not going to go with us, Blackie’s owner said, “Watch this!” and she removed her mare’s lead from her halter. And we all watched Blackie gallop like a wild horse all the way back up the long muddy road towards home.

IMG_7495

Yah. It was pretty impressive.

But I don’t think Blackie’s owner realized that she had just rewarded her horse for bad behavior. In the end, Blackie got her way. Through her owner’s encouragement to run helter skelter for home……instead of standing and waiting to be led back home.

In my eyes, Blackie was being trained to act barn sour, too. I dealt with barn sour issues with Baby Doll and it was a struggle and no fun. So I suppose it was good to see this behavior and to have the trailering troubles exposed before we managed to have Blackie finally load successfully and find out about these other issues later.

I’m so glad that Colleen suggested taking a potential horse prospect out of it’s comfort zone and working with it in a different setting, because it’s a much better way of truly seeing any and all issues that a horse may have.

(I edited this photo just for Janice of Own a Morgan )

IMG_7814

Because my goal is to get back out and do more trail riding, any horse that I buy must be willing, calm, sane and comfortable in new and unfamiliar settings. Blackie did not seem to fit any of those requirements once she stepped off her home turf.  Heck. She wouldn’t even load into the trailer.    

So it looks like my horse shopping will continue.

I want to thank my blogger buddy, KD of Zambito Oaks Farm for trying out a horse for me, not far from her, from an ad I found on Dream Horse. Not only did she try out the mare, but she also gave me a full report with all of her experienced observations. KD, I wish I could have you try out all potential horses for me. Bah! Why do all my great blog buddies live so far away?

~~~~~~~~~~  

I'm a little nervous about tomorrow’s Walk/Trot/Canter Class as Colleen said she wants me to ride a mare called Atta Bay, instead of good ‘ol Rosie. Atta Bay is Rosie’s barn buddy. Another rider who is battling fear and self-confidence issues with her Arabian mare, is going to be riding Rosie instead. Colleen says that Atta Bay is a ‘step up’ from Rosie and says that I'm ready for a horse like Atta Bay.

(Atta Bay is the little mare just to the left of me and Rosie in this picture. Second horse from the left)

IMG_7287

I don't know about that. But I do realize it’s always good to ride different horses and challenge myself a little more, but I’m also concerned about moving too fast. It’s only been one month since I’ve gotten back to riding horses again, after a year of healing from my injuries and surgery. I’ll trust Colleen’s assessment, though, and just pull my big girl panties on and do my best.

At least we’ll be riding inside the arena down at Cedar Hill Farms again, and maybe on some of the trails around the property. The wicked, winter winds have returned to our mountains and even though our temperatures are supposed to rise into the upper 40’s and lower 50’s all this week, the bitter cold wind-chill will take the joy out of those balmy temperatures much too quickly.

(This is from my last trail ride with the Snowy Mountain Cowgirl Club. I’m taking the photo from Rosie’s back. You can see Atta Bay, the second horse from the right)

IMG_7819

40 comments :

Unknown said...

Its amazing how different a horse is from an ad. Rearing? That's absolutely nuts.

And any horse will run back to a barn. That's like showing off that a dog will eat a hot dog...

Glad you're looking...

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Sorry she wasn't the horse that they described, it s good you found that out early on though.
Have fun riding Atta Bay.
Keep looking, your horse is out there

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Glad you found out about Blackie quickly , almost sounds like the owner really didn't want to sell her. Good luck on Atta Bay,I bet you do just fine!

Lori Skoog said...

Patience is a virtue! Go with your gut. You will be fine on Atta Bay...enjoy.

Unknown said...

Certainly being trained to be barn sour. I find people (nothing against parelli or anything I find some of his methods useful) make pets out of their horses and humanize them too much. They get too pushy and want to be lap horses, which obviously does not work. I feel good knowing that I bring Indigo 2 miles away from the farm, hop off and take off her bridle and let her graze and she doesn't run back to the farm. Of course when I first got her she would have likely done that but shes never been barn sour to the point of wanting to gallop back to the herd RIGHT NOW!

Obviously was not a good fit.

Pony Girl said...

Blackie did not sound like the one. Kinda strange really, the way the owner told her to act up if she didn't want to go, then let her go and gallop home?? Anyway, I am glad you are going slow about this process and really looking for a good fit. Hopefully you can take a horse on a trial basis for a week or two and give them a good go before making a final decision.
I think trying Atta Bay is a good idea. She looks pretty nice in those pictures! :) I am trying a new horse in my lesson tomorrow, a big step up from the 25 year old Rosie-ish horse I've been riding! I'm a little nervous, actually!
I love your new boots by the way! How sweet of RJ for getting them for you! And I bet they have a stronger toe than the Walmart boots, which will help protect your toesies.
Have a great time at your riding class and a good weekend!

Reddunappy said...

Yeah, I would say that Blackie wouldnt work, its people like that, that give Parelli a bad name.
Oh and the Animal Psychic act?? Uh Huh. Good choice to walk away on your part. You will find the right one. Its sounds like you have a lot of wonderful freinds helping you! And a wonderful oportunity to keep riding!

Jeni said...

I'm sorry Blackie wasn't the one, but better find out now while test drive'n then after purchase.

Good luck at your clinic this weekend.

Dusty Devoe said...

Sone things are just not meant to be. You wiil know when the right horse comes your way.

Patrinas Pencil said...

Sorry Lisa, but I think this horse hunting is going to take some time. You're still learning as you go. Colleen is such a friend. Glad you have her in your horsey circle :)

Happy trails - I hope Atta Boy is just as great for you as Rosie. He'll give you more confindence.

Patrina <")>><

City girl turned Country Girl said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! That is insane!! I am SO glad your good instincts kicked in there!! And uh yeah she totally rewarded Blackie for her bad behavior!!

I know you will find the right on for you soon!! And you will do great on Atta Bay!!

{{{HUGS}}}

Leah Fry said...

I'm sure you also got a good laugh out of it on the way home, too. Don't forget the value of laughter.

The pushiness is one thing (pretty easy to fix), but if that horse has been consistently rewarded for acting up? Oh my. Blackie isn't going anywhere.

colleen said...

So glad you listened to your gut and didn't purchase that horse. We sometimes overlook our instincts and try to think our way to a decision, and it turns out wrong. Keep looking, your's is out there!

Enjoy the class. Relax and go with the flow! You'll gain more confidence and experience and you'll be in a controlled environment with help all around.

Mrs. Mom said...

My Dear Friend, you are in for an exciting, educational, and ENTERTAINING time in horse shopping. You can make your own translations from the sale ads ;) (What owner says to what it REALLY means...hehe)

It's a tough job, but one that should be a lot of fun for you, this shopping thing!

Fingers crossed that YOUR Perfect Horse peeps his or her head up soon for you!!

And have a BLAST on the new challenge today!!!!!

Oh-- our snow was pretty much all gone by 7AM. We tried to wake the boys last night-- and they pretty much just rolled over and GROWLED at us (they like their sleep I guess! LOL) Oh well..... who knows what may be going on in our life next year. Never can say if we'll be here or in snow country ;)

Cheryl Ann said...

Better to find out before you got her home! You'll find the perfect horse for you. It just may take some time, but you'll find him or her. Can't wait to hear how the clinic goes this weekend!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

good luck today, just keep shopping

allhorsestuff said...

Whoa...glad that you discerned that situation. You are right...totally! The horse you choose...will seem to choose you Liss and loading won't be a problem. You surely don't need a fixer-upper!
Do have a nice time on AttaBay.
Cute name!
Kac

QuiltedSimple said...

Sounds to me like the owner didn't want to get rid of her horse and probably didn't like the fact that you were not happy with the horse's behavior, which is just unacceptable. Keep searching - you wil find the perfect horse!
Kris

Mikey said...

GOOD CALL, Lisa. Seriously. Your friend is right too, this mare was not for you. Can't believe the owner would let the horse go for bad behavior. The only time I'd let horses run home (it's like the big rule around here) was when I was a kid and wanted to walk home or keep hiking around. I'd just turn them loose and they'd head home. The rule was if reins were dragging come find me, if the horse was naked, it was ok. I usually rode bareback and only had to strip off the bridle.
Unbelieveable though. You take your time and ride a lot of different horses. Let me know, I can try some AZ ones out for you too if you want. I did that for Life At Star's Rest and it worked out well. Us bloggers jump at the chance to go try out a horse :) lol

Shirley said...

You sure made the right call on Blackie. One thing I'd suggest on your next try-out is trailer loading the horse yourself. If you can't get it smoothly in the trailer, move on to the next horse. And the reason I say this is because trailer loading will show a lot of the holes in a horse's training- willingness to move forward on cue, patient or pushy, standing quietly (leave it in the trailer without doing up the butt chain/stall gate/ door for a minute to see if it just wants to rush out). If it tries to evade being loaded, you will see what it does when under pressure that will translate to what it will do when you ask it for something scary on the trail; in Blackie's case it was rearing. NOT acceptable!
Keep looking and you will find the horse that fits you just as well as your Ariat boots!

Dan and Betty said...

Yep, good decision. That woman is ruining that horse. With a lot of patience and training it might be a good horse, but we're talking at least a year probably.

Atta Bay looks a hair larger than Rosie. Bays generally are pretty even tempered so you should be fine.

Dan

Dan and Betty said...

Yep, good decision. That woman is ruining that horse. With a lot of patience and training it might be a good horse, but we're talking at least a year probably.

Atta Bay looks a hair larger than Rosie. Bays generally are pretty even tempered so you should be fine.

Dan

Jocelyn said...

Wow Lisa, that sounded like a nightmare on 4 legs to me.

Parelli folks can sometimes get it so WRONG.
I am so glad you are back to pony shopping and the right fit is just standing at the gate waiting for you!

small farm girl said...

I'm sorry the black mare didn't work out for you. But, I'm glad that you knew it and didn't buy her.

Good luck this weekend. I know you can do it. You will be able to ride the new horse, I'm sure of it.

Janice said...

Thanks for that great pic Lisa, you put a huge smile on my face and even better, one in my heart.We have been having a rough couple of weeks around here, sick horses, an injured one crappy ugly gray weather....well enough of the pity party others are worse off. Anyhow I am glad you didn't discover Blackies spoilt badness after you got her home.Your horse is coming. It's nice that you can regain your confidence and still be riding while not having a horse. keep up the great work. Oh yeah your prize......it is coming.

Maery Rose said...

I'm trying hard to hold my tongue on the owner's behavior. She's really not doing that horse any favors. I'm glad you are taking your time and have someone along to help you look. You'll find the right horse. In the meantime, I think the horses you are getting a chance to ride will help you figure out what kind of horse works best for you and that will help you as you look for a horse of your own.

jane augenstein said...

Oh, love the colored snow sliding off the roof!
Oh, boy, sounds like Blackie is a wreck waiting to happen and you don't need that! I have never had to hurt for a horse so I don't know anything about it, but it sounds hard.
My first horse, my dad bought he for me when I was nine and we grew up together, he was 2 years old at the time. My second horse was also 2, I got to know here across the fence and bought her from our land lord and trained her myself. Gilly well his story is a lot different. He was 11 months old on a rescue web site over 100 miles away from here. I fell in love with him, bought him and if I knew then what I know now....I would probably not have a horse! He has been a stinker at times but we keep working through the problems. He is turning into a good horse but so much more horse than the first two I had!!!
Good luck with your search and hope that the "right" horse comes along soon so you can have many hours of fun riding!!

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!!!!!
hugs...
Jane and stinker Gilly

Unknown said...

Phew! That was a close one! You almost ended up with a lemon. Good decision.

Anonymous said...

Keep looking, you'll find the right horse for just you. :)

Andrea said...

Oh Lisa, I wished I lived closer!! I would go horse shopping with you. Like what Mrs. Mom said, you'll get to know what people really mean when they write their ads!!! Like when they write "would make a great barrel horse" sometimes that us true. Most if the time it means the horse is nuts and goes super fast. Because lots of uneducated horse people think barrel horses are nothing but freaky fast!!!

You'll find a horse!!! It took me a while to find Peanut for my boys!! Just go with your gut. If you find any in LA let me know, I'd love to help ya!!

Comancheshadow said...

Hi Lisa! You know, there's a buckskin quarterhorse at the barn where Comanche' is boarded. He's a gelding, and the little 16 year old who owns him has apparently decided she wants another horse. She seems to have lost interest in him. He's not a bad horse. I think he needs a job...or someone who pays attention to him... You might want to come visit and check him out. Her parents don't seem to realize she's not been out to see him much. I believe he could be for sale, if you wanted to follow thru... Comancheshadow.....let me know if you are interested in looking. We are just off Alameda and Loma Larga in Corrales.

Katharine Swan said...

What is so appalling about Blackie and her owner is not just that the woman was rewarding bad behavior, but that she was evidently proud of it, since she told you to "Watch this!" Yikes... Not a good fit, indeed.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

http://www.trailhorsesofthewest.net/history-breeds.htm

Now let me broach a subject that will certainly get some folks upset. Many of my clients are people just getting into horses, and only want to trail and pleasure ride. Often they seek the advice of other people who own horses and are at times advised to buy a Quarter Horse. I will tell you here and now that I have owned dozens of Quarter Horses and don’t have one bad thing to say about them. However, they were not bred for trail riding and sure as heck are not comfortable to ride. If I were to go into team penning or team roping, a well bred horse of this discipline would be what I’d buy. But I sure wouldn’t buy one for trail riding! What would be the point? Posting or getting jarred up and down just isn’t fun. If it were so much fun, people would be putting square tires on their automobiles too! Yes, I do have friends that show, team rope, or team pen that do a AQHA sponsored ride or two a each year, but they didn’t buy their horse as an exclusive trail riding horse.

I hope that you are getting what I am trying to say here. The gaited horse breeds dominate the trail riding world and there is a good reason for it. They are bred to do this discipline. I often get asked, “of the four breeds you offer for sale, which is the smoothest gaited?” The answer is there is not one breed that is smoother than the other. It is all a matter of the individual horse. Do I have a preference in breed? No. I can tell you that gaited horses are just plain fun to ride and the horses offered on this website are or were breed to be pleasure/trail horses.
~Fred Mau

StefRobrts said...

You should go 'test drive' some gaited horses. When I was taking lessons I worked mostly on an arab, and they switched me to a foxtrotter - wow that was a nice ride! I couldn't believe how different it was.

Sorry Blackie didn't work out, but better to find out now!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

ABSOLUTELY brilliant trying the horse out first doing what you will be doing with it later, taking her out of her comfort zone to see how she handles it. I'd never buy a horse without doing that (of course, I'm not buying another horse so it's easy for me to say : ). I'd ride it, play with it, watch someone else ride it in as many situations as I could think of. You'll end up with a good one - don't rush it. Enjoy the shopping experience.
: )
- The Equestrian Vagabond

cdncowgirl said...

Good on ya for listening to your gut. Your new horse is out there waiting to be found... it will happen for you :)

And congrats on getting to try a new horse. I know you feel safe with Rosie but it sounds like Colleen has good judgement and wouldn't throw you on something that would set back your confidence/progress.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Good decision! There is no telling what other bad behavior the woman was rewarding. Really dumb to let her run back to the barn.

KD said...

Glad that Blackie and her owner showed their true colors right away. Good luck on your new ride! You are fortunate to have someone you trust to shop with you. I did have fun trying out that mare for you!

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh, is it just my twisted mind or did you select the second photo because you briefly fantasized about poking Blackie with that wicked thing as she was laying into you instead of moving off your hand?! Lol, that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw it... I'm so happy for you that you saw her true colors before you took her home. You definitely need a solid, steady horse to regain your confidence. And they ARE out there!

CTG Ponies said...

I'm so glad that you were able to determine that Blackie wasn't the horse for you before she came home. You'll find the right horse - in the meantime try out a whole bunch and figure out what you like. But most of all HAVE FUN!!!