These boots have been my faithful hard-working friends over the past two years. This scarred and dirty duo started off with humble beginnings bought off a Walmart shelf more than two years ago.
I’ve never much cared about name-brands or the way things looked. Whatever I buy must be dependable, useful and tough…and comfortable, too. These Faded Glory boots have been all that and more. Surprisingly I don't even think they’re real leather (I know. *gasp*!) I’ll let y’all in on a secret. Ranchman John is a shoe snob. He won’t buy anything unless it’s name brand and made of leather. It has to fit and be comfortable from the moment he puts it on, or he won’t buy it. Needless to say, he tends to do most of our family’s shoe buying. And he likes it that way.
My Walmart boots have always bugged Ranchman John. He believes that shoes not only affect comfort and gait, but can also affect the entire body, especially if the shoes are cheap and not of good quality.
Well you can only imagine how concerned Ranchman John was, when after two weekends of taking long trailrides in the snow, he saw me squeezing Gorilla Glue in between the gaping space of my old boot’s sole and upper. My cheapy old boots just weren’t cut out for the task of wading through a foot of snow and sloshing through mud and ice. They leaked and they were on their last foot, so to speak.
The Gorilla Glue worked wonders, though, and gave my boots a second lease on life, carrying me through another two weekends of riding clinics and snowy trails.
But I was in for a big surprise.
Ranchman John has been busy hitting the streets looking for a job, and although noone seems to be hiring just yet, he’s been taking care of other things around here that needed doin’, too. One of those things was getting the taxes done early as we were expecting a generous refund this year. Well, he got ‘em done and then he went shopping. (Can you guess where this is going?)
This is a man that likes to shop. Not me. I just want to get in, and get out. I get overwhelmed when there are too many choices and selections. I just can’t make up my mind. It makes me crazy! And I abhor lines, and all that walking in crowded stores. So, I just avoid shopping as much as possible. Not Ranchman John. No. He likes to go to the stores and malls. He even likes to window-shop with no particular agenda or list to shop for. I haven’t been to a mall in years!
Well Ranchman John knew I could use a new pair of boots. He had a good idea of the style I like, too. He knows I prefer the lace up paddock style boots because I have trouble finding slip on boots that fit over my chubby calves.
He also knows the size I wear, too. It’s not an easy size to find at all. I can’t buy shoes online, unless I’ve tried them on already in a store, which makes my options even more limited. I’m almost 6’ tall and I usually wear a size 10.5 IF the shoe isn’t too narrow. My old Faded Glory boots are a size 10, but they must have just been cut larger. It’s difficult to find shoes in half sizes, so we have to move up to the size 11. But size 11 is often just too large. So, sometimes, if we can find the right style, we pick out shoes in men’s sizes. I wear a size 9.5 in a men’s size. I can almost trick myself into thinking my feet are smaller when I wear that size. Almost. haha!
Does anyone else have big feet, or weird feet, too?
So, anyway, the other day John was gone all day, doing his thing, shopping. When he came home he was so excited to show me something he had bought for me. (Can you guess what it was?)
Yes! A pair of new boots!!!!!
And not just any old boots off the shelf. Brand spankin’ new Ariat Cascade Paddock style boots!!!!
Of course, the Boot Barn didn’t have any women’s sizes past size 9, so Ranchman John told me he had a look at the men’s sizes. I must admit when I first saw them, I thought “Gah! Clown feet!” But after I put them on, I realized they fit almost perfectly. So, yeh, I just have to deal with the fact that I just have big ol’ clown feet. haha!
What I was and am most surprised about is how these Ariat boots immediately felt so comfortable the first time I put them on, that I wanted to wear them all day long. There is no stiffness or breaking-in period at all. I love that! I’ll always appreciate my hard-working $20 Faded Glory Walmart boots, but it’s time for them to retire now. Looks like I’m going to be a devoted Ariat fan from now on. These boots were made for working and riding!
~~~~~~~~~~
And speaking of riding, this Saturday I’ll be participating in a Walk/Trot/Canter Class, riding Rosie, of course.
But that’s not all. On Friday, my friend Colleen is driving up towards Santa Fe, with John and I, to go pick up a potential horse prospect for me. We’ll load up the little mare, named ‘Blackie’ and trailer her back to Colleen’s, where we’ll try her out during the Walk/Trot/Canter Class and possibly ride her out on some trails around her house.
I’m finally going horse shopping, my friends!
Here is the photo from “Blackie’s” ad:
What do you all think of her?
56 comments :
I LOVE that you loved your Faded Glory boots!! I also think it is so super sweet of Ranchman John to go buy you a new pair!! They are very nice!! Love me some Ariats!!
The horse is a beauty! Can't wait to hear how she does!!
Love the new boots and that is a good man to have found them for you. I bet you are so excited to be trying out a new horse, wishing you happy trails!
Enjoy your new booys...they are really great looking!!! If you geta new horse, will you keep Baby Doll???
Nice boots! I have Ariat paddock boots that look almost the same, and I DO wear them all day long; they're my school shoes. I love them; they're sooo comfortable and they're waterproof. :)
Happy boot-wearing, and horse shopping!!!
Yeah to Ranchman John!! I think a man that likes to shop is just great. :-) How nice that he bought new boots for you - and ones that fit, at that! Those boots look really good and I hope you get alot of use out of them.
My feet are pretty normal and average, but I have big calves, so that makes buying taller boots a problem...
Blackie looks cute! I hope your friend/instructor Colleen can help give you a good assessment of the horse... Make sure to try Blackie a few times so you are sure it is a good fit!
What a husband! And a smart one at that...men's boots are automatically wider and it sounds like he got you a perfect fit. I have often purchased boys boots because my feet are wide and they just feel better.
Blackie looks great. Hope she works out and fills that gap in your heart.
Will send you a note about the external hard drive.
Just from the picture - she looks like she could potentially be bomb proof - which is what you need. I hope she works out and is what you are reading, but remember, if she doesn't there are other good horses out there. Good Luck
Kris
Ariat's.... LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I have hard to fit hooves too, and Ariat has never let me down. They look sharp on ya girl! ;)
Ooooo Horse Shopping!!!! Have FUN with it Lisa! If this mare does not quite "fit", don't force it-- tour around and have a good look at some others. Your horse will find you!
Lisa, I'm just like you about shopping! I HATE it! I only go when something wears out. I have a $20 pair of WalMart steel-toed, rubber "waffle" bottom boots that I wear around the horses. I've been stepped on so many times and I don't even feel it!! Is Blackie like Rosie? Calm?
Oh my gosh Lisa! See there is a reason why you didn't win those Ariat boots. I was going to ask you what size you wore and send an old pair of some brand shoes almost identical to those but in black. I guess they wouldn't fit you because they sure don't fit me.
I bet you have the same problem as me. It's not the BIG foot thing, its that they are WIDE. Trust me on this one.
If you want to get another pair of boots, especially slip on I guarantee you will not be disappointed in blundstone boots. They have an elastic ankle and are even a little loose. They are very wide and do not come in mens or womens but rather just sizes. Best thing is you can wear them with anything. Make sure you get the original 500 and not the chisel toe though.
I am not sure if I told you about the Ariats I won but they are not for me. They are for my mother who is going in as we speak for foot surgery because of her rheumatoid arthritis. It has dislocated bones in her feet so she is literally walking on bone on the ground. She has one pair of twisted X boots she wears and a pair of ariat sandals but that is it for comfortable shoes. I hope and pray I can wear them too :P doubtful since I wear a 10.5 or an 11 ladies and shes a 9.5ish
Nice boots!! I wore my zip up Ariats and my pull on Ariats till they fell apart. You're right - they are immediately comfortable. I'm wearing some bobo brand pull on western boots that I bought through e-Bay and they are working well for riding, not so well for walking.
Good luck with your trial of Blackie. She looks like they've been feeding her well. :-)
Nice boots. I hope you have a good time trying out Blackie, she has a soft look about her in that photo
Love the new boots! But I must say some of the most comfortable shoes I ever had were Faded Glory docker-tyle loafers. :)
Not a great picture of Blackie, but she/he looks to be a gentle horse, just up your alley.
My first horse was all black and I named her Dream Baby. :)
WQW! Nice boots! Nice hubby to find and buy those nice boots!
As for Blackie, it's not the best photo, but she looks like a sweetie-pie. Can't tell if that is all neck, or just standing-up mane, but she almost looks like she could be related to Brego or Roxie?
Good luck with her!
Ariat Boots are the Sha NIZZLE. I have several pairs. What is funny about your story is that my old pair of Ariat Barn boots had holes, and were awful, it was SHAWN that demanded that he buy me new ones for my birthday :( HE drove me to the store and forced me to try on new boots! Poor JP!
Your back and knees are going to appreciate the new boots I promise!
nice boots...I still like your old ones though...broke in and comfy...
Insert carnival music here: I'll bet they don't look all shiny and new by this time...:-)
Boots: Your Ranchman is very impressive!
Horse: Wow, you're ready to go horse shopping! Blackie looks like a good size. The picture gives her a heavy neck, but a nice head and shoulder, with well-formed legs. I've heard that sloping pasterns make for a softer trot, and hers are very sloped.
It'll be interesting to see what she looks like in person (or, a better photo), and how she rides. Good luck! Can't wait to hear what you think!
Love the boots! They look soo comfy - I loved my Ariats, they were like walking on clouds.
Horse is cute too, I'm really loving that indoor arena you've got there....looks so nice!
I am not a name brand snob either ,but Ariat makes a dang good boot! My Ariats are perfect ,they fit nicely and are super comfortable,no breaking in period! Hard to tell from "Blackies ad as its blurry and she is standing oddly , that said she looks a cutie ,and certainly appears quiet .Looking forward to reading about the try out!
I love your post. I am also a Walmart shopper and don't like to pay for name brands...except when it comes to my Ariat Boots! I love them. I have a pair of lace ups that I wore so much that the soles are now smooth. My latest passion is their Fatbaby line! I have several pairs in different colors and they're the first shoes I reach for no matter what I'm doing (riding the motorcycle, going shopping, over to the neighbor's barn, and even out to dinner!). P.S If you have a Tractor Supply near you, they often run sales on Ariat Boots. I've bought a couple pairs there for 50% of the regular price!
the Ariat's are waterproof, right? That always tops my priority list.
Not a good stance for Blackie in the photo, you'll, just have to ride her and see how she does. I wish you could find a little racking horse.
I have to agree with John when it comes to my boots. I've found that good quality boots not only fit better, but will last longer if taken care of. In the long run they're cheaper than cheap boots.
The horse looks nice, but be sure to get a thorough vet check.
Dan
I have to agree with John when it comes to my boots. I've found that good quality boots not only fit better, but will last longer if taken care of. In the long run they're cheaper than cheap boots.
The horse looks nice, but be sure to get a thorough vet check.
Dan
I have to agree with John regarding shoes being one of those items in which you should spare no expense. Comfort, fit, balance, and quality are so important, especially with your knee. He must really love you and knows what you need. Be sure to get a vet check before buying a horse. If someone tries to cover up a back, neck or leg injury with drugs, the horse will end up being the most expensive purchase you ever make. Ask a lot of questions about the horse's health, look at the teeth... You know.
I hear ya on the Walmart boots. I buy from Payless a lot, and I swear, their shoes break in so nice and last a long time for the price. But those Ariats, those are NICE! I had a pair when I started shoeing, I could not let them go. I wore them till sock was showing out the side, and even when I bought new boots, I kept going back to them. I finally had to have a saleslady take them from me and throw them away, because I couldn't do it!! They will be your favorites, I know it. I think it's hilarious John is a shoe snob :) But hey, you get what you pay for, and those are some good boots!!
Racking Horses are a breed of gaited horse that perform an alternate gait to the trot which is smooth and easy to ride, called a "rack."
This gait is a four-beat gait with no bounce, compared to the two-beat trot which has either a small or large amount of "suspension" and creates a somewhat rougher ride for its passenger.
http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-253294
those new boots are perfect. i like them and i would indeed wear them...
a new horse? oh my.
hugs
Thanks for the link Joanna. Unfortunately, that horse is akin to me going shopping for a BMW on a Chevy budget. Way over-priced for me this time around. I paid too much for my Baby Doll at $3,500and was only able to get $900 for her. So I can't go much higher than that for my next horse.
Thankfully, due to the time of year and the poor horse market that does seem to be attainable. It just takes a lot of experienced looking.
By the way, other horses also have the racking gaits, too. Gaited horses like the Tennessee Walkers, Missouri Fox Trotters, Icelandics and Paso Finos, too.
Interestingly enough, this little mare I'm going to be trying out this week is supposed to be part Paso Fino and has the racking 4-step gait at a trot. We'll just have to see. It would be nice to have a more comfortable ride. :)
~Lisa
I love Ariats! I have a pair Ariat paddock boots and cowboy boots. Very comfy. Good luck with the horse hunt.
Your shoes would fit me perfectly, I have all the same problems. A friend who also has big feet said she found her best fitting shoes at a store in Seattle that caters to women with big feet (ok, not really women, men with big feet who wear women's shoes, if you get my drift). I think there was a King Of The Hill episode like that! Anyway, I had a pair of men's Ariat boots when I was riding - so comfy! But I sold them after I finished lessons because they were too expensive to just sit around. Nice boots though!
Good luck with you new horse prospect. I hope she works out for you!
Blackie is cute! She has a kind look to her too! cant wait to hear how it works out!
Ariats I love Ariats! my old ones are ready to be replaced!
I always look in Mens shoes too, I have wide feet and a lot of Womens do not fit me. I wear a 9 or 9 1/2 in womens or a 7 1/2 in mens usually LOL Mens are wider and give my toes more room! This time I am looking for a pair of CB Boots that are slip on (om old ones are lacers) with that pretty deco saddle around the instep! I cant find any tall enough though, not yet anyway, if they are not tall enough they always pinch my calves against the saddle.
Nice boots...I'm also an Ariat fan.I can't see the horse it is not loading on my computer, but you know sometimes it is best to shop around.It would be nice if she is the right one though. I am so happy for you Lisa....horse shopping life doesn't get much better than that....except of course when you find the right one and then you get to ride until your butts so sore you can't stand it. Yahoo.look forward to hearing about the try out.
You are going to LOVE those boots. I have a pair, and after about 4 years of heavy wear, the soles flapped off. But instead of buying new ones, I had the soles but back on! Seriously, I swear by them. Although they are a little heavy and take time to get used to in the stirrup. Also, I have clown feet too! Size 10 baby, only mine are really really narrow, like skinny chicken feet, so when shoes fit my toes, they're too big around the rest of my foot!
hay Lisa - -Blackie looks nice.. what breed or mix is she?
Ariat boots... I LOVE my paddock boots too. I have the English version of your westerns!
I wanted a pair of Ariat tall hunt/dressage boots - but my budget does not. I wear them around the tack store every time I go in, until I talk myself out of the $350 boots.
Blackie looks cute! Hope that works out for you. Then again, you're just getting started. How exciting!
My feet are as wide as they are long. I have Ariat ProBaby's and they are so comfortable. Doc Martens are great too when you have wide feet.
Ariats...super duper, love them. I currently have some fat babies that feel like they are made just for me.
How tall is Blackie? I don't know if it's the way she's standing but she seems a little weak in the hinds. I like the full neck. She is pretty, keep us posted about how she fits.
I am so proud of you!!! You are inspiring me to just bite the bullet and climb aboard and leave my fears on the ground behind me. You are a shining example of how you can accomplish anything you set your mind too. Great job.
Lisa, the lady who boards my horses breeds Paso Finos (actually, Peruvian Pasos) and I swear, they are so easy to ride! (from what I see and understand) But, HA! She won't sell me any of hers! Another boarder has a half Tennessee Walker/draft mare, and while she is large, I've seen her gait and she is very smooth. My cousin has 4 TWalkers and I've ridden Valerie's and they are very smooth when they go into their gait. And, what do I have? 2 mustangs, 2 thoroughbreds, and a quarter horse! Go figure.
Ranchman John is a good man! Bless his heart. Happy Valentines! They look great on you. I never liked them either for the "clown feet" look they gave me. I've worn slip on western boots for 15 or more years. I have sturdy (chubby) calves too and mens sizes are just not quite right unless they are a good boot - My favorite is Justin boots. they fit me the best. But, what I wanted to say was that I cut ( know - it was hard for me the first time too) my boots down the middle of the leg upper at the "V" - on both front and back about an inch or so and the foot slips in and settles better - no strain around the calves. I never wear my boots on the outside of my pants so no one knows the diference. :)
I sure hope you find the right horse this time. I'm praying for the right fit!
Love ya!
Patrina <")>><
Congrats on your new boots! Woo hoo! I got a new pair of Ariat Fat Baby Ropers for Christmas and think they're AWESOME. And I have gigantaur feet too, so I know what you mean there...
That looks like a cute little mare, hope she works out for you! Good luck with your w/t/c class!
Man I'd love to just buy boots right out of the store, but mine are special orders. Try finding 5 1/2 in E width. I can sometimes substitute kids boots, but not all of them fit either.
Oh wow... so much to say, I'll try to be brief!
You & RJ sound like Pie & me. I'm not much of a shopper (tack stores excepted! lol) but Pie, well he SHOPS. Too much really. I would say it is our main source of conflict.
But good on RJ, that's a heck of a nice surprise. I love my Ariats. Like you I've found them very comfy. Mine are also holding up very well. So enjoy your new boots!!
Have fun at your clinic this weekend and have fun horse shopping!
I will admit that little snipet about Blackie got me by surprise! lol My advice is to listen to your gut and to your instructor. If it doesn't feel right don't buy her. I know you have limitations to deal with but don't rush into buying a horse just because the price tag is right. :)
I remember when I was shopping last summer and tried Coin. I REALLY wanted him. He was awesome on barrels but when I rode him out he just felt a bit too hot. I knew I wouldn't enjoy him outside of an arena. I was still torn though because I want to do well with the barrel racing. Then I found Voodoo... maybe not the barrel racing star that Coin would have been but I am enjoying him SO much.
Keep us updated and have an awesome weekend!!
Great shoes, I'm sure they will last forever too. I didn't care much about hiking boots until I got the "right" pair that were comfortable the second time I tried them on.
The horse is gorgeous.
I have the exact problem with my shoe sizes. I used to be a perfect ten ;) before having children. Now I'm a 10.5 except I can't find those. Eleven it is unless tens run small.
Max HATES shopping. So cute RJ likes it. What a sweet thing he did for you.
How sweet of Ranchman! I love the boots. I did not know you sold Baby Doll. I too missed that post. I will have to go and read it. Good luck on your adventure!!!
I love my ariats, the hubby bought me a new pair for christmas this year!
Love your new boots. May you wear them in comfort for a long time to come.
Blackie looks cute. It doesn't matter what any of us think of her it's a matter of what you think of her and how she fits your riding program. Good Luck.
cute boots!
We're coming through tomorrow. So I'm up for lunch if your able. I'll send you another email with my phone number.
cute boots!
We're coming through tomorrow. So I'm up for lunch if your able. I'll send you another email with my phone number.
That is so funny! I think we're related! I hate shopping too, and my husband loves shopping and has so many shoes I don't know where to put them all. And his name is John! We should all get together someday.
Nice boots! I bet they'll last forever. I have a couple pair of Ariats. One is not comfy but is durable, the other is not durable but it's comfy. :)
Blackie is super cute! She reminds me a little of our mustangs. And I certainly don't mean that as an insult. The cresty neck would have me slightly worried about metabolic problems or future founder. I also have reservations about horses that are pictured in mechanical hackamores. Often they don't know much. I can't tell if that's a mechanical hackamore or not. I'm sure you'll make the most of your trial time and get a real good feel for how broke she is. I hope it works out! But if not, there are plenty of other fish in the sea. :)
Good luck this weekend! I can't wait to hear how it goes.
Cheap footwear is often the best as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind mucking around in them and lots of times they hold up as well.
Blackie looks like my first horse. If she's even half the horse he was, she'll be great.
Lisa,
I'm sad that I missed the post you that sold Baby Doll! I know you had so much history with her and some not so good. I agree, don't be in a hurry to buy another right away....shop around A LOT! As far as the boots...I have the same problem but on the other end of the spectrum....tiny barbie feet (so I've been told) by sales people...how insulting! LOL! Have a fun time trying out Blackie....but I don't think that's the horse! Just a hunch.
I have hard to fit feet too and the same problem with big calves. So what I do is buy mens boots, an 8 triple E fits me. My Ariat lace-ups are my favorite boot for general wear, super comfortable from the first moment I put them on, but sadly now I have blown them out on the side thanks to my wide feet. I still wear them though!
Oh, LOVE the new Ariat boots, I have 3 pairs of Ariats and love them to pieces!!! Don't have any like that though. How nice of your man to get them for you!
I too wear size 10, my Aunt, who wore size 11 shoes, always said that tall women need a good foundation, meaning large feet! She is right! That way we don't fall over! LOL
hugs...
Jane
What a guy you have there!!! He done good!
Very interesting day with Blackie and her owner...interesting owner to say the least.
Way to go with listening to your instincts...she would have been more trouble than BD!
I have those same boots and I love them! I have several pairs of Ariats and I have to say, none of them disappoint.
Post a Comment