Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pony Ride

 

As some of you may know, my almost 7 yr old daughter, Jenna has Aspergers Syndrome, which is a high functioning form of Autism. She has her issues, but she is also very bright, loving, affectionate, funny, and she has a keen sense of intuition. Especially when it comes to animals. Laughing Orca Ranch was actually named by my daughter. You can read about that in my very first blog post actually.

One day when I asked my daughter what color horse she would like, she said “An Orca Horse”

So when I discovered Dakotas Baby Doll, a black and white tobiano paint horse, who looked a lot like an orca. I figured it must be destiny.

I obviously let my heart control my head.

Interestingly, I never placed my daughter upon Baby Doll’s back before I bought her, and after I brought her home, Jenna refused to ride her even on a lead line. In the 2 1/2 yrs I owned Baby Doll, my daughter never sat on my mare’s back. She would help me groom her, feed her, refill her water, and even give her cookies, but Jenna didn’t trust Baby Doll enough to sit on her back.

I would say my little girl had excellent intuition.

Now, over the last 2 weeks, I’ve shown my daughter pictures of ‘Sugar’, including the one that ‘Sugar’s’ owner sent me, and she seemed very interested in meeting this horse in person. But I was shocked when Jenna told me that she wanted to ride ‘Sugar’. Jenna hasn’t sat on a horse’s back since she was 3 years old. She was also very affected by the injuries that Baby Doll caused me. I didn’t know if she would ever trust a horse again.

But, thanks to sweet, kind, gentle ‘Sugar’, my little girl has regained her trust.

IMG_8353

Jenna insisted on going with Ranchman John and I today for ‘Sugar’s’ Vet Check. Before the vet arrived we visited with ‘Sugar’ in her stall. She seemed happy to see us and I even forgot to bring treats yet again. I was most happy about the gentle and curious way ‘Sugar’ approached Jenna, nuzzling her softly and allowing my daughter to hug her around the head and kiss her on the nose. My daughter was thrilled. It was beautiful to watch.

IMG_8339 

And after the Vet Check (I’ll share more about that later. ‘Sugar’ checked out just fine, though.), I saddled up the little mare and Ranchman John helped Jenna climb up onto ‘Sugar’s’ back.

The ground was covered in about an inch of slick, greasy mud, and I had to hunt for higher ground so I could lead ‘Sugar’ and Jenna around.

IMG_8347

I figured we’d walk around a couple times and my daughter would say she was done. But every time I stopped and asked her if she wanted to dismount, she’d tell me no, that she wanted to keep riding. So we did. And ‘Sugar’ was calm, quiet and gentle the entire time, even when the horse herd on the other side of the fence got excited and were bucking and squealing. She watched them, but seemed to know she had a job to do. To take safe care of my daughter.

IMG_8345

I was even able to talk Jenna into playing “Flying Horse” a couple of times. She spread her ‘wings’ out and helped ‘Sugar’ ‘fly’ as we took a few steps. That exercise did wonders for my daughter’s confidence as she grinned from ear-to-ear!

IMG_8355

‘Sugar’ only did one ‘naughty’ thing while Jenna was on her back, but I credit that to the chiro work that was done on her during the vet visit. ‘Sugar’ was so relaxed and feeling good, she was almost sleep-walking. At one point we walked over a deeper area of mud, and I was talking to Ranchman John, all of a sudden I saw ‘Sugar’s’ knees buckle like she was preparing to lay down in the mud. I quickly told her “No! Up! Stand!” and her eyes shot open and she straightened up right away, seeming to realize that she had made a mistake. But she didn’t startle or jump and unseat Jenna at all. And though Jenna was surprised at being tilted forward and down so suddenly, she and I had a good laugh about it afterwards realizing that Sugar just felt so good and relaxed with us after her chiro adjustments.

IMG_8340

We walked around in the wind for about an hour until our tummies were growling for lunch. I think Jenna could have rode ‘Sugar’ all day long, though.

Colleen wasn’t there with us as she had some appointments to attend to over at the horse rescue, but she did show us where the horse treats were, so after I removed ‘Sugar’s’ saddle, we were sure to give her some. I liked how gently ‘Sugar’ took the treats, too.

And she likes to give kisses and nuzzles, too.

IMG_8358

After we led ‘Sugar’ back to her pen, we hung around for a little while longer, brushing her and scratching her cheeks (her favorite thing). She really likes to be given head hugs and just totally relaxes in my arms.

IMG_8351

‘Sugar’ definitely scored huge points with me today for how well she related to my daughter and for how safely she carried my daughter on her back. Now if only all this mud and snow would dry up so I could ride ‘Sugar’ again.  

 

55 comments :

StefRobrts said...

Wow, Sugar sure looks like she's shaping up to be a new member of the family. Your daughter looks like she's having a ball!

Jocelyn said...

that is so cool ! I love a cuddling pony. Jenna ! What a rockstar she waws! I am positive that JEnna fed off BD's naughty energy and wanted no part of that.

I am so happy for both of you!

Jocelyn said...

i think my comment didnt post.. weird, my screen blinked nad POOF all gone!

I just wanted to say I am so happy for you and GIMME SOME SUGAR.

and that JEnna! Rockstar!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Well then ! I am ready to come down there and buy Sugar myself! What a great little mare! No pressure from here though, you will do what is right for you and your family , but you give that sweet mare and extra hug and a treat when you see her please(gals like her are worth their weight in gold)

Unknown said...

Thats a big pro to this mare. If she is kind to Jenna she might be worth the time.
I would have Jenna maybe take a riding lesson on her if she would. I bet she would like that.

cdncowgirl said...

Hmmm, pretty interesting. In a way Sugar is an orca, her colour is just a bit skewed. :)

I love how patient and quiet she was with Jenna but when Colleen rode her she had a bit more energy.

Can't wait to hear about how things go when YOU get to ride her more!

Pony Girl said...

How neat, that your daughter wanted to ride! Riding is so therapeutic for children!! Sugar looks so sweet in those pictures. I'm sure she is also a little sleepy from her chiro work too, LOL! ;) I am glad the vet check appeared to go well, curious to hear more and see more as you continue to trial this little pinto mare.
Thanks for thinking of me and my boy, I'm thinking he'll be happier on joint supplement in no time at all!

Pony Girl said...

How neat, that your daughter wanted to ride! Riding is so therapeutic for children!! Sugar looks so sweet in those pictures. I'm sure she is also a little sleepy from her chiro work too, LOL! ;) I am glad the vet check appeared to go well, curious to hear more and see more as you continue to trial this little pinto mare.
Thanks for thinking of me and my boy, I'm thinking he'll be happier on joint supplement in no time at all!

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

SOLD!

Lori Skoog said...

Lisa...the pictures say it all. Happy daughter, happy mom and happy horse. A great combination. What a beautiful experience.

lisa said...

Sometimes a child innocence can detect things that we cannot! I sugar is going to work out real good.

Lori Skoog said...

I'm back.... Those last two pictures of you and Sugar...the comfort zone!
They are positively beautiful.

jane augenstein said...

Wow, Lisa! That's great, Jenna is a smart little girl to not want to ride BD; she could scene that something wasn't right. I would say that I would trust her instincts about Sugar; looks like she is in love with her. Me too! She looks like a keeper. Hope it works out for you, she is a beautiful mare
hugs....
Jane

Mrs. Mom said...

Lisa!!!! That ROCKS!!! Look at that SMILE on Jenna!!!! So cool. Totally cool. (Actually you guys look frozen..lol)

I really love that last picture of you and Sugar cuddling... Love a horse that cuddles. Sonny is in no way a cuddler. So cuddle Sugar from me please when you go out to see her next!

I seriously have my fingers crossed for you guys with this mare.

Deb said...

sounds like you all had a good time..Sugar looks like a good match for you both...love the last photo...

Mikey said...

That last pic says it all!!! I think Sugar is a keeper!!

Cactus Jack Splash said...

My son has aspergers and the horses have worked wonders in him. He has a good "feeling" for the nature of a horse. The ones he avoids should be avoided. Horses that can relate to aspie kids are worth their weight in gold...if she was this way I would go over my horse limit and buy her in a heartbeat.
It looks more and more like Sugar is a keeper. Is it possible she has been taught to kneel and was going to let Jenna off?

CTG Ponies said...

I love the last picture you posted. You both look so peaceful which is so different from how you felt earlier this week. What a wonderful experience you were able to share with Jenna. Sugar seems like a sweet and sensitive girl.

Carla said...

I love that story!!

My kids were all deeply affected by my accident on Luke. It was really a great part of a bit of emotional trouble Pearl had with me going to the barn afterwards. Only James still likes horses. He was very little when it happened.

Hand in there! Baby steps and you'll all find your way back to horses. :)

strivingforsavvy said...

Awesome just awesome!!

clairz said...

Love that last photo. It should tell you something...

Unknown said...

I raised a daughter with Asperger's and she had such a sweet bond with the horse we bought for her. He wouldn't take a step without knowing she was safe. A horse that has those instincts are priceless.

Anonymous said...

I love how your daughter and Sugar were interacting - I think your daughter may be on to something!

Unknown said...

Wow that is amazing! Your pictures of Jenna are heartmeltingly wonderful!

Seeeee she was comfortable on Sugar! FANTASTIC!

I got my fingers crossed for you that Sugar is THE horse you've been lookin for. Dare I hope to see more mother / daughter horsey photos? What fun you two could have!

Anonymous said...

Yah for Jenna! I think that's a good sign for Sugar.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Just had to come back and have another look , great pics ! you and your daughter look so happy with Sugar

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Very interesting. It's sounding more and more like Sugar is a winner. Did you ever get a chance to read "Horse Boy"?

Janice said...

Lisa I think you found your horse. I have been following along on your blog for awhile now and this is the first time I have seen you look really happy you are absolutely glowing in that last shot.You,your daughter and Sugar look like a very good fit.I think I would follow Jenna's instinct.As long as she is healthy that is.

Mama H said...

Hey Lisa, I wasn't aware of your daughter's diagnosis. She is very fortunate to have you as her mother.

My mom teaches Special Ed (K and 1st graders). She has a couple of Autism kids each year. Every year (this started back when I was in jr. high) she takes her kids out to my (old) horse trainer's place to ride the horses. It is, without fail, the highlight of their year. I remember kids who couldn't even say their name, yet they could remember the name of the horse they rode and what color she was, a year later! The connection between animals and learning/severely handicapped kids/adults is unreal. Its like they're on a different frequency than us and communicate in a way we can't understand.

Your daughter's face in all those photos is priceless. I'm not saying Sugar has to be the one, but, I think she keeps nudging higher and higher up the up in the ratings. Heck, maybe you should look at other horses, you know to have something to compare Sugar too. Sometimes when you look at what your other options are, you realized how good the first one was.

Dan and Betty said...

Very nice and great pictures. Good for Jen.

One more step.

Dan

Girl Tornado said...

Lisa she sounds like an utter sweetheart! Beautiful pictures of Jenna on Sugar. I've got my fingers crossed for y'all... here's hoping that Sugar becomes the newest member of your family! ;)

Shirley said...

This post got the tears flowing.... It's amazing the connection children have with horses. This is a very sweet mare, and it looks like she just may have found her purpose in life. If you buy her, she just may become your daughter's horse, and you will have to go horse shopping again!

jane augenstein said...

Alright Lisa-Lou, I did a post just for you!
LOL that rhymes, hehehe You'd better hop over there and leave a comment too! :-)
I promise I will keep posting until the giveaway!!!
hugs....
Jane

Renee (aka Army Wife) said...

It might be too soon to tell, but I think Sugar has chosen you for her new family. The tender interaction between Sugar and Jenna speaks volumes about Sugar's temperment.

Now if this wind would settle down you can get some serious riding in. If you can put some miles on Sugar, the decision you have to make will be so much easier.

Paint Girl said...

I am so excited for you! Sugar is beautiful, and looks like such a sweetheart!! That is so cool that Jenna wanted to ride her, and Sugar did so well with her.

Gail said...

I would guess things are going to get sweeter at TLOR.

Good job, Sugar!

DesertHen said...

Reading this just warmed my heart! Sugar sounds like a wonderful horse! I loved the photos of Jenna on Sugar! And the last photo of you hugging Sugar...Wow!! It really tugged at my heart!

small farm girl said...

Out of the mouth of babes. Do you need any more proof? Oh, that last picture was beautiful!!!!!!!!

KD said...

Hmmmmm.... you keep putting her name in quotes like you are already thinking of a different name for her. :-) What a sweet experience for you and Jenna.

KD said...

My Appy mare was named "Sugar" when I got her....I promptly changed her name to Dixie.

Patrinas Pencil said...

I was hoping that she'd be a 'family' horse!! what a brilliant idea to take jenna to meet her. Sure is shaping up to be a'Heart' horse. She is so beautiful and Jenna looks so natural on her. You wouldn't have guessed that she hasn't been on one since she was 3!!

love to you, my friend

Patrina <")>><

Crystal said...

I love those pictures of you two, looks like a fun day. Sugar seems to be trying to be the "right" horse for you. Looking good from here.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have a grandson that has Aspergers ..he has social issues, and leads a very ordered life doing the same kinds of things at the same time of day every day..routine is his thing! He is also very kind and gentle especially with animals.

Your daughter looks beautiful with Sugar, and so do you! I would say she knows a good thing when she sees it..and what a good activity for her to gain confidence in a new hobby! :)

Dusty Devoe said...

What a wonderful story! Jenna looks like she was loving every moment. Hope Sugar works out. She is a sweet looking girl.

Jeni said...

Hi Lisa - wow Jenna looks like a natural on Sugar. Fun was had by all of you-- Sugar's calm relaxed demeanor speaks volumes about the type of horse she is.

I really hope you get a chance to ride her soon. Do you have a time limit you can keep her before you make your decision?

~Jeni Q

colleen said...

From what I've heard it's very common for children with autisim to have unusual connections with animals. Jenna seems to be the perfect little judge of animal character. The last picture speaks so loudly. Sugar with her eyes closed, trusting and calm, you with a smile and those incredibly bright beautiful eyes of yours! Calm and learning to trust again. Peace my friend.

jane augenstein said...

Alrighty Lisa-Lou there is another post for you to look at! hehehe
Jane and the Termites

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

that is awesome! and the pictures are just precious. Sometimes kids and horses connect so differently than we do because they are so uncomplicated with thoughts and opinions of the way life should go.
- The Equestrian Vagabond

allhorsestuff said...

OMWG! My husband heard me sobbing and thought I was upset...nope, just so very thrilled- to joyful tears- over the beautiful shots of you and Sugar and Jenna!
Still tearful and happy for you!
Kac

Unknown said...

Lisa,

Sounds pretty good. Glad she's healthy and that Jenna feels so comfortable around her.

I am hoping she continues to work out...

Anonymous said...

Looks like Sugar has found her new home, and a new purpose in her life. She and Jenna seem to have bonded. This post has tugged at my heart strings. :)

Desert Rose said...

Your heart must have swelled so big it could have burst seeing Jenna and Sugar 1st ride and witness their bonding! I believe Sugar is a special horse and maybe was mean to come and be with your family. If she passes all the checks...she is a keeper!

lytha said...

hi lisa,

i *lol*d at your comment that my horse could find a career in making patterns in snow, due to his totally understandable naughtiness during this horrid winter.

and you say you had more snow today!?!

i also wanted to say that my brother has aspergers, and it's been a real challenge for us. he's able to work (as a courtesy clerk at the supermarket) but only due to state intervention and social security, ensuring that he has a job and an income. i worry about him every day, and when we're in america, we spend time with him and my man (a teacher) seems to totally understand his issues. my man teaches a class now, in his new school, with an aspergers student (who has an adult assistant constantly). i am totally curious about it!

it irritates me when i see programs about "autistic" people, when they are clearly not. they have aspergers, otherwise they would not be able to communicate with you to be on your show.

i guess, aha, it's the mislabeling like this week - an orca killed a handler. everyone is calling it a whale. that is generous - they are orcas, not whales. but you know that.

they are magnificent and i love them. i spent a lot of time in vancouver's zoo when they had orcas. i have a place in my heart for finna and bijossa.

and......i hope you find the right horse for your family.

~lytha
p.s. i don't lie against/sit on baasha when he's down because i just have the feeling he wouldn't like it. i consider it an honor that he lets me get near him when he's down, and in my mind it would be taking advantage of that trust to lean on him or actually sit on him.

Tammy Vasa said...

Lisa, I'm catching up on posts, so sorry for the late comment. Enjoyed reading about Sugar & glad they are giving you a trial period with her. I see how nice she collects when Colleen was riding her. Very, good!

Take your time & if you decide she is the one, perhaps you could have a trainer put 15 or 30 days on her just to get her riding so they can show you her buttons, etc. I have done that with Windy every spring for the last 3 springs. I have had a lot of fear issues in the past (still do, sometimes) and the trainer takes the winter freshness off her for me. This is the first year I won't be doing that -- more of a test to myself than anything :)

I know you know this, but if there are any red flags, pay heed. Listen to your little voice.

I hope she is "the one". :)

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

I love the photo with you head hugging Sugar! So glad you're finding a good horse match! I volunteer at a horse therapy riding facility for children and adults....it's been amazing to see the progress some of these students make emotionally...especially Autism. I have seen it over and over again with the keen sense of intuition as well. So happy for you!