While sitting at the kitchen table, watching my chickens peck and scratch outside in their coop, I noticed some flapping, and struggling above the chicken coop. Within a few moments I realized that the patterns of the wings and tail, along with the size were unlike any that we usually have in our small birds that visit our feeders, or steal grain from our chickens.
I ran outside and realized we had a small hawk tangled up in the bird netting above our chicken coop that is used to keep out predatory birds. Here in the Central Mountains of New Mexico we live in a Raptor Fly-Way where predatory birds ride the thermals as they migrate north and south each year. We also have many raptors, including eagles, hawks, owls and vultures that live here year around.
Well, apparently the protective netting we use above the chicken coop works very well. We’ve yet to lose a chicken to any raptors. But small birds can and do still sneak in the chicken fence openings to steal the chicken’s grain. Which is probably why this little hawk decided to try his luck in catching some of them. He’s too small to be tackling a chicken dinner, though.
The little hawk was struggling to free itself after he got his toes stuck in the netting. With all his flailing, he only managed to get the netting twisted even more tightly around his toe. Eventually, he might have lost his toe. I went out there with a blanket, and placed it over his head. He lay very still and allowed me to hold him, while Ranchman John used scissors to cut him free from the netting. I brought the little hawk inside to check to make sure he wasn’t injured and used clippers to remove the last bit of netting that had twisted tightly around his toe. My kidlets were amazed to be so close to such a beautiful little creature and the hawk, although scared, just gazed at us, and didn’t offer to bite or flail in my hands.
After looking in my bird identification guide and online, I do believe this little guy is a juvenile Sharp-Shinned Hawk.
~Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus)
The Sharp-shinned Hawk is a small Accipiter (about the same size as an American Robin) that breeds in North America and Winters from North America and South into Central America.
Length:
Males: 9-11 inches (24-27 cm)
Females: 11-13 inches (29-34 cm)
Wingspan:
Males 20-22 inches (53-56 cm)
Females: 23-26 inches (58-65 cm)
Weight:
Males: 87-114 grams (3-4 oz)
Females: 150-208 grams (5-8 oz)
Diet: Sharp-shinned Hawks prey almost exclusively on small - medium birds. They have very long toes with long spicules, which have evolved to help them hold onto the feathers of their prey.
Longevity Record: 19 Years and 11 months; based upon known age of a wild sharpie at banding and subsequent band recovery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years ago, I my kidlets and I, along with our homeschool group, hiked up into the Manzano Mountains, just west of us at 10,000 ft to participate in Raptor Tracking/Hawk and Flammulated Owl Banding with Hawk Watch International. (Click on that link. Good stuff!)
During our time up there I was also able to catch and release a wild Swainson Hawk. You can see the photos and read about that day RIGHT HERE. That's a link to my old homeschool blog, that I started in 2006)
So, I know what a rush it is to release a wild raptor back into the sky. And releasing the little Sharp-Shinned Hawk was just as thrilling for me as the first time.
43 comments :
Way cool. Great pictures.
Thanks for sharing.
Dan
what a beautiful bird...great lesson for the kiddos...thank you for sharing...
Wow, what great photos of such a beautiful little hawk. We have plenty of bigger hawks here year-round, but without a good zoom lens it's tough to get photos of them.
What a beautiful bird he is! He is marked so pretty.
So glad you saw him and got him free before he hurt himself.
hugs...
Jane
We have those here, as well as Cooper's and Rough-leggeds - it's hard to tell them apart. Glad no hawks or chickens were injured - what a thing for kids to see! Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos with us!
I was thrilled to see you talk about your trek to watch hawks with your homeschool group and I had to go check out the link to your other blog. That long winding gravel road was probably FR 422, off of hwy 60, that is the road that my property is on, West of Mountainair. The property sits at 4miles from the base of the Manzano Mountains and borders the National Park. I have not been out there in three years so I have been feeling really detached from my dream of building a home there someday. Your posts always remind me of why I want to live there. That hawk is beautiful, what a unique experience to get to interact with one so closely.
Cool! Good thing you have sharp eyes or he might not have faired so well.
Glad your kiddos got to see him up close.
That's neat. I've never seen one so small. I never get to see the babies...just the adults waiting to grab my chickens.
If you didn't see it, scroll back on my past blogs to see where one actually went in the little door in the chicken house.
Wow, amazingly beautiful!
How absolutely beautiful! I'm so glad that you were there in time to free him before he had a chance to hurt himself.
what a beauty, glad it wasn't injured and is flying free again.
Oh Lisa that is just cool!!! Good thing for him that you were watching.
How incredibly amazing and wonderful!!! He is just so beautiful with. His yellow eyes are so vibrant! Nothing quite so interesting shows up here, just Juncos and Crows lately...
How exciting! He's a real beauty. Your photography is wonderfull too. :)
Wow, what a cool moment for your kids! You got some stunning photographs! Good thing you guys were home. Glad the little guy is safe and free once again.
Love the birds of prey, always gorgeous creatures. Thanks for taking care of this one, great post.
Great phots , and education ,what an opportunity for your kids!
No I hate to do this ,but what about Sugar???
We have rescued so many little birds from the bird netting over our coop. It has kept out the hawks and owls though. Your photos of the little hawk are amazing. I'm so glad you were able to help it get free!
Totally stunning photos...what a wonderful hands on lesson for the children and me.
This pictures are so wonderful, the way you captured the eyes and feather pattern.
You are good, it's not the camera, it's the one behind the camera!
Gorgeous and interesting post. Sounds like you took really good care of it.
Wow! What a beautiful Hawk!! I love those yellow eyes!! What a neat thing for the kidlets to see!
Oh Beautiful! Glad you were able to save her!
love the fact you saved the little feller; so many would have taken his life because he's a raptor.
He (she?) is really gorgeous! Your first picture is beautiful.
Looks like those "extra-long spicules" got this Sharpie into some trouble. Hope (s)he learned a valuable lesson! I'm glad the bird didn't struggle during its time inside; it's always frustrating when they don't understand we're not trying to hurt them.
What a stunning bird! I love the yellow eyeliner, and the blue inside his mouth. Glad he wasn't hurt - he was lucky you were home to see him get caught!
What a beautiful bird! His eyes are wild!
What a cutie! We have a ton of hawks around here. I love those little round yellow eyes. The second picure reminds me of th ORLY? owl.
Wonderful photos, so grand you could help save it.
He is beautiful! I hit a red tailed hawk with my car once. I picked him up off the road and took him to a wildlife center. He was a young, emaciated male. Uninjured, but not hunting successfully. The fed him for a few months and released him once he was in good health.
Wow, how awesome for you and your family to get to be in such close contact and help a beautiful bird like that!
I have seen a sharpie grab a small bird at my feeder and turn back just before hitting the side of the house- really a magnificent and agile creature!
WOW!
What an adventure, for you and for the hawk. Absolutely incredible shots. You are an amazing homeschooler, too.
Oh, wonderful happy ending, glad you were able to free him. He's so regal looking, despite his tiny stature! His markings are beautiful and you capture him so well with your camera!
Way cool, Lisa. You are quite the mom! What a treat for you kids to observe up close and personal. Have I told lately that I love your heartt???
Blessinga
Patrina <")>><
You took some great photos! He/she is really pretty!
He is so beautiful. Glad he didn't get hurt.
I've had a busy week, so am just catching up on everyone's posts.
What a beautiful little bird. Glad he wasn't injured in the netting. Cool that you could use the opportunity for a teaching moment.
And the post about Jenna and Sugar brought a tear to my eye. I'm so happy for you!!
What a beautiful little hawk! (even if he was after your chickens)...We have Kestrels here in our desert. They are small, too.
Wow, I didn't realize there was such a small hawk species! What a beautiful creature. And how lucky for him that you saw him flailing and rescued him! Thanks for sharing.
Stunning photos of a beautiful bird, Lisa. I'm so happy you were able to rescue him (her?).
Nancy in Iowa
He is quite the majestic little fella. I'm glad you were able to help him out, great story.
What a handsome guy! I am glad it all turned out well:)
OMG! How Blessed you were to be able to get so close not once but twice. I know people who study birds who would give their right arm for that kind of opportunity. Hugs,
Deb
Check that out!! Whoa!!
His eyes are way cool and the photo's too!
So glad he did not have to struggle long before you noticed~ Good thing the netting is there, though most of your chicken are so much larger than he!
Kac
Post a Comment