Thursday, March 18, 2010

Feeling Better

 

This post isn’t really about me, but yes, I’m feeling better, too. The knee is still swollen and weak and I’m still wearing my brace, but I can walk short distances without my crutch now. Thanks for all the well wishes. You all are awesome!

~~~~~~~~

So today, Apache had her vet visit and floating appointment. Everything went well and she did great. Even when she knew something was up, she was easily calmed. She’s such a good girl.

IMG_8782

Ranchman John drove me up to the barn, but after the vet arrived, we remembered we had no electricity up there due to a gopher chewing the lines, so we had to head back down to the house for the vet visit because the Power Float requires an electric outlet.

I had forgotten that several chickens, two roosters and a hen had gotten out when I went in to feed them this morning. I was able to get the hen back into the coop, but the roosters were enjoying their freedom too much and I didn’t think it was a big deal for them to be out so I left them to their own devices.

But the coop is beside the house, so we had to deal with flapping, squawking roosters blasting out of the bushes, at least until the Power Float turned on, because the sound scared the roosters away.





Apache was so good and only startled in place anyway. Even with all the wind smacking the plastic feed bags that I zip-tied to the chicken coop wire to protect the chickens from some of the wind, Apache didn’t get her panties in a bunch. She was a very good girl with all the new sights, smells and sounds.

IMG_8882

And she was very patient, too. Her Float took more than 30 minutes because her mouth was such a mess. In comparison, Baby Doll’s dental floats never took longer than 10 mins because they were just simple maintenance. Poor Apache she had just about everything going on with her ouchie teeth.

IMG_8887

Apache had:

                               Ramps

ramps   

 

                              Waves

wavecomplexs

                            Trans Ridges

transridges

                           Enamel Points

                    enamelpoints

                          Caudal (rear) Hooks

caudalhooks1

                          Rostral (frontal) Hooks

rostralhooks

My vet, who is also a licensed Performance Equine Dentist invited me to reach in and feel all these abnormalities and I was surprised at how sharp and uncomfortable they felt to my hand……I could not even imagine having all that discomfort in my mouth for years, like poor Apache had to endure.

IMG_8879

I could feel the rear hook, and it was very sharp, but it was the frontal hook that I could see as well as touch, and I was floored. That frontal hook had even caused a small ulcer in her mouth, which had toughened up with scar tissue.

Check out that frontal hook jutting down in the upper right side of this picture!

IMG_8877 

My vet told me that monstrosity could have easily caused Apache to rear when her previous owner bitted her in the single-jointed Tom Thumb and used force on her mouth to get her to cooperate. I think I would have reared to the moon to get away from that kind of pain myself.

Apache doesn’t have canine or wolf teeth, but this diagram shows the pressure that would have pushed against her sensitive teeth and that frontal hook by a harsh bit and rider.

bitt-001b

 

Here’s a diagram of the frontal hook. Can you imagine what a metal bit hitting that might feel like?

teeth2 

And then try to imagine what Apache must have felt like when her previous owner ignored her display of pain and just slapped a tie-down on her instead and still rode her in the same bit in the same harsh way, except now using a crop, too.

I swear….I just don’t get people sometimes. I really truly don’t.

This is the only ‘After’ photo that turned out because my camera refused to focus. But it shows the points smoothed out and that horrible frontal hook significantly diminished.

IMG_8888

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m really looking forward to trying the Dr. Cook’s Bitless Bridle on her. I can only imagine how much she will appreciate it. She’ll probably be confused at first because of what she’s been used to for so long, but I think she deserves a break. She’s already shown me that she will move off seat and legs alone, and the more Jax and I rode her the less she needed any kicking to make her move forward. Our last ride, just a squeeze and she went. Maybe it’s too soon to think about, but I hope she appreciates all these new changes and becomes a true willing partner for me and my family. She has such a big heart and deserves a good life.

IMG_8760

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So after the teeth floating, my vet pulled a Coggins for me to not only check Apache’s health, but to prepare for the upcoming ACTHA CTC Trail Ride I am registered to ride in with Apache (!!!!whooohooo!!!!!!).

The vet seemed surprised when I presented him with a fresh sample of Apache’s poo so he could do a fecal exam. This way he can tell me, what type, if any, worms or pests might be infecting her system. Once I know what she might have, I can deal with the specific pests without creating resistance from blindly deworming. I’m also interested in using diatomaceous earth as a natural dewormer, as several other horse owners I know have had great success with it. (Thanks Dan & Betty!)

After turning poor Apache into an equine pin-cushion giving her all of her vaccinations: rhino virus, strangles, influenza, rabies, West Nile, Tetanus, and Encephalomyelitis, my vet presented me with the bill for his services and I had my own pin cushion moment…………with my bank account now $436.61 lighter. (eeek!)

But it’s all worth it if Apache feels 100% better.

IMG_8895

41 comments :

cdncowgirl said...

Wow those were quite the teeth! As I was reading about all the stuff going on in Apache's mouth I was thinking "no wonder she reared!" lol

Glad to know that was taken care of, and that your knee is somewhat better as well :)

Paint Girl said...

I can't believe how bad her teeth were! How long did her previous owners have her for? At least she is in a really good place now and will get the proper care!!
That first mouth shot you took was fantastic!
Glad Apache was such a good girl for the vet!

Reddunappy said...

Awwwwe she needed you to find her!! You are such a good mom!!!
I am sure she will feel much better in a few days!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey Paint Girl,

The previous owner said he owned Apache for almost 2 years. She said she had rescued her from a neglectful situation, where those other owners had let her care totally go. Apparently her feet were way overgrown and required months of trims 5 weeks apart to get them back in shape.

I just wish, Apache's previous owner would have also focused on other aspects of her care than just her feet.


~Lisa

Far Side of Fifty said...

I bet you really notice an improvement in her..horses never forget and she must feel so much better.. I am happy that you are feeling a bit better too:)

Anonymous said...

It's always amazing to me how ignorant some people are about what horses need - and dental care is top of the list. No wonder the poor girl reared! Apache is a star, for sure!

Hope you continue to feel better every day!

Lori Skoog said...

You must really appreciate this horse! I vote for the bitless bridle...she will love it. Glad you are doing a little better.

Laura said...

Wow - her teeth sure needed some work! Glad you are now her owner - she'll get the best of care!

Glad you are able to get around a bit on your knee - hope it continues to improve for you!

Jeni said...

Very simply OUCH!!!

Lisa the picture of your daughter hugging Apache is precious.

I think that tells you all you need to know about this horse!

Louise said...

Lucky, lucky Apache, to have come to a home where her health will be so carefully monitored. I'm sure she will return that love and care, tenfold.

jane augenstein said...

Firstly I am glad to hear that you are feeling better and the knee is on the mend!!! :-D
Oh, poor Apache, her teeth must have really been painful! I didn't know that horses could have so much wrong with their teeth all at once! I wonder what horses teeth look like in the wild??
She was such a good girl while having her teeth done. Not Gilly! He has only had his teeth worked on once and they had to knock him almost clear out, he fought and fought with them; even doped up he was still fighting! He had never had anything done to his teeth or mouth so I don't know what his problem was. He only had a few little points to be filed.
Glad to hear that you are going on a trial ride, exciting!!! You be sure your camera is all charged up and ready to take lots of pictures for all of us to see!!!
Spring seems to finally be here in Ohio!!! YIPPEE!!!!
hugs....
Jane and Gil

Deb said...

cool a horse dentist....glad your knee is doing better...hope you recover really soon...love the photos of Apache with your daughter...

colleen said...

Hooray for both of you! I can't believe how calm she was with all that wind and stuff going on. Amazing. Well worth the money spent. She knows she's found a good home and shows it every time I see her with Jenna. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure those wonderful hugs from Jenna made the dental visit much better. Glad to hear you are on the mend as well.

Sir Darby said...

Apache is one lucky horse.

Michelle said...

What an incredibly informative post! I love the illustrations of all the mouth issues. I'd heard those terms, but never actually seen what they refer to. Thanks for posting all that!

Anyway, I'm so out of the loop with all your news! I'm glad Apache is working out so well and I can't wait to go back and read all about her story!

Unknown said...

See things like this I have witnessed with a horses mouth has made me stray from bits even more.
I get my horses teeth done every 6 months because I don't want them to get bad by the time the annual vet visit comes around. Indigo needs hers done now, even if she doesn't wear a bit and hasn't for 3+ years.

Naigen had the WORST enamel points I have ever seen in my entire life. They literally looked like razor blades. After she got her teeth floated she packed on the pounds like you wouldn't believe. She gained almost 100 pounds in a month after her teeth were done on the same diet we had been giving her for the previous two that did a little, but not a lot. She was so worth it, just like Apache will be worth it for you.

Cheryl Ann said...

Awww...she is SUCH a sweetheart! I'm so happy that you two found each other!

phaedra96 said...

I think you have yourself a real gem--and she is pretty to boot. How nice to just relax and enjoy her.

Alison said...

Wow, can't believe how much you were able to do for Apache in one visit. And that's still less than I pay for Rosie's annual vet exam & shots. Doesn't even include any dental work. And she doesn't even carry me around! lol

Apache keeps sounding more and more like the perfect horse. I'm sure she'll be a very willing partner with such great care coming her way!

(by the way, I've been wondering what it means to "pull a Coggins." Sounds painful...)

lisa said...

When I got Sirocco, his previous owners had no clue, he was two when I got him and they didn't do anything but pet him and that was it. He had lice and his feet needed to be done, had no worming done ext. So, I know how you feel!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sound like you solved the rearing problem without ever having to face it .Apache must think she has died and gone to Heaven! All the TLC she is getting ! Take care of that knee ,and hope to see you back in the saddle soon on your wonderful little mare .
BTW , I know she cost less to start with ,even with the vet bill, than BD, but that little darlin you have is worth her weight in gold!

Shirley said...

I guess this post meets my challenge for everyone to post some good news this week; I'm sure Apache thinks so! Did the vet sedate her for the float? You did a great job with the diagrams to show everyone what goes on in a horse's mouth; I hope it inspires folks to get their horses done, because there are very few horses out there that don't need to be done. You can't go by whether or not they are losing weight, as you can see with Apache because she is in good flesh. A good Equine Dentist can make a huge difference in a horse, and I'm sure your Apache is going to be even better now!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Before you mentioned it, I was thinking the teeth were the reason why she reared too. Lostine has wave and step mouth. Bombay has hooks and points. I'm always keeping an eye out to see if they have problems eating or taking the bit in case they need to be floated more than once a year.

Dan and Betty said...

Good stuff. It's a shame when people can't or won't take care of their horses.

Well done.

If you decide to try the diatomaceous earth, be sure and get a fecal check each time you see the vet to be sure everything's OK. We have used it for over five years with good results, but we get a fecal check every time we see the vet.

Dan

Mama H said...

She really loves you guys, you can see it in her eyes. A float was definitely in order for her. Reminds me, I should check my own horses teeth... Anyways, good to hear she's adapting to EVERY thing!

Crystal said...

Hey Lisa its amazing to me how many people never get there hrses teeth done, they all usually have something that can be fixed easily before theres big problems (like rearing).

I love the last photo, its too cute.

Janice said...

Hey Lisa, glad to hear you are mending, great post ,photos diagrams, I just had my horses done. It is so much easier and quicker when it is just maintenence. Way to go Apache, she is such a great find for you. I think she is already a true willing partner for you and your family and you all deserve it.....people and horse. Keep enjoying.

Maery Rose said...

I'm amazed that you have a vet that must have helped you take those photos! The crew in our local office are in such a hurry, I can't imagine them not getting cranky if I tried to take pictures. I really appreciating all the information you put together. I'm supposed to get my two done next week. I don't do strangles and things like that since my two aren't around other horses. If my house ends up selling and I have to board, I'll find out what's required by the facility then, since it varies from place to place.

Anonymous said...

yup., nothing like a good ol ye ol dental to make things better

glad you're feeling better too
gp

Desert Rose said...

To those of us that take loving care of our animals it is such a shock to us when we see neglect like this. Apache must feel like she is now in horse heaven with all the wonderful care and loving she is getting. I especially love how Apache has touched Jenna and that they already seem to have a spirtuial bond!!!

Unknown said...

Love the photos!

Ed said...

Cool post, Apache could'nt have a better mommy and family..;-)

Mom L said...

I have to admit my non-horse owner imagination has been zooming around ever since you mentioned floating teeth - I had no idea!!! I learned a lot from your post - and I'm sad and appalled at what Apache went through before she found you. Like someone else mentioned, my favorite picture is the last one - Apache is showing not only patience but affection toward your daughter.

Nancy in Iowa

Unknown said...

So glad your knee isn't any worse! I've been following your adventure with Apache and haven't been able to comment until now, but I just wanted to say how excited I am for you! She seems like such a good girl and a great match for you AND your family. :) I hope when the time comes that I am able to horse shop again I'll have as much success as you did. Oh and Apache is the PERFECT name!

Very interesting post I must say...I have never seen that far inside of a horses mouth before. Really opens your eyes to how things work in there and how your hands and bit effect the horse, eh? Huh. Learn somethin' new every day! lol

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Cassy's dental visit, including the tie down and rearing episodes with previous owners! Except Apache didn't have the wolf teeth to remove, or did she?
She'll be such a different horse now, you won't believe it. It has taken a couple of weeks for Cass to realize the pain isn't going to hit her when I take up contact but now she's going wonderfully, Apache will too!

Andrea said...

Maybe we can give the previous owners the benefit of the doubt and just say they didn't know anything about teeth!??? Maybe??? You wouldn't believe how many people don't know to float teeth. We have a 15 year old mare here that I don't think EVER had her teeth floated. Ever...she is not mine, so I don't have any say so. But it's amazing how much better horses act when their teeth are all nice ans smooth!!

And I am sure Apache LOVES the love you are giving her. I just love how much Jena loves her!!! It's so sweet!! I am also excited for you and that upcoming trail ride!! That is awesome, and I can't wait for you!! I can't wait until I have some trail riding fun!!

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

Stormy has a dentist appointment Tuesday with an equine dentist! . He's going to be 19! and sheesh I can't remember the last time he had his teeth done. bad owner!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

KD said...

Love the photos of Apache and Jenna!

Girl Tornado said...

Happy to hear your knee is doing better, and really happy to hear about Apache... I'll bet she's going to feel loads better after her teeth float! :)

Patrinas Pencil said...

Glad you and Apache are both better. I alwayas learn something from your posts!!

Those teeth pictures were nicely done!

Could these problems have been the reason for her licking?

The pictures of your daughter with her are so precious. Apache is a sweet horse. I'm so glad she has you now - and your whole family has her!!

Blessing, friend

Patrina <")>><