Jenna getting a bugs-eye view during a recent visit to the Natural History Museum in Albuquerque.
I’m trying to keep a positive attitude about my knee, but the worst thing is not being able to hang out with Apache. The ground is just too wet, greasy, and muddy and I’m too afraid of falling again. Sheesh! I work hard to move past my fears of riding, only to have to deal with fears of falling on muddy, icy ground. Bummer.
I’ve been able to do my chicken chores because the coop is beside the house, but it’s still quite treacherous with all the slippery mud and poo inside the coop. But I just hold onto the fence, hen house and the center pole while I’m in there.
(Photo taken this morning from Jenna’s window. Look to the right in that photo. We’ve got a little bit of green grass poking up. whoohoo!)
Ranchman John is doing a great job feeding Apache and all the barn animals. He likes to give Apache carrots and love on her, but I think she still looks lonely. I think her mouth has also been a little sore adjusting to her floating. She just has a sad look to her. It breaks my heart.
(photo taken this morning)
Last week, before the vet visit and before our recent snow storm, I was able to gimp out to the fence line and Apache walked down to me. I like how she’ll hang out with me for petting and cheek scratches, even if I don’t have any treats. Baby Doll rarely ever graced me with her royal presence once I was out of treats. She was fond of giving me The Butt when there were'nt any treats.
Apache is more of a pocket pony. I’m surprised at how much I like that, when all along I thought I liked more independent, and less clingy horse personality.
(Scout, my neighbor friend Val’s gelding, and Apache visiting)
Anyway, last week Shirley of Ride a Good Horse recommended a knee support for me. And instead of me wearing that bulky ‘Frankenstein’, full-length metal leg contraption the Doctor prescribed for me after my ACL surgery, I really need to wear some support while riding and when walking and hiking, too.
Shirley told me it’s made by Professional Choice, the same company that made my nice neoprene girth. The knee support is called Miracle Knee.
(Apache tells Scout, “Back off! Don’t be too fresh, Mister!”
I eagerly looked it up online, but couldn’t find it for less than $50.00. yikes! So I called my local feed/tack store and left a message on their answering machine. Mike and Lorraine are like family and run a small feed/tack store about 2 miles from our house. Ranchman John often just stop by to chat and catch up on all the goings-on. They have followed along on my horse journey and my injuries, as well as with Ranchman John’s employment woes and crazy job with the truck driving company. A couple times they even offered us a line of credit until paychecks started coming in. They are truly kind and generous folks. I just love them.
Well, they didn’t get back to me for a few days and I sort of forgot about it, but on Friday, Lorraine called and told me they had ONE left in their store, AND it was on sale for only $29.95! I was so thrilled!
We were in the middle of a snow storm, so I promised to pick it up the next day. I also wondered if Mike and Lorraine priced it so low just for me, because they obviously didn’t make any money off it’s sale. Did I mention what great folks they are?
Of course, they also know, that even though we live within 10 miles of 5 different tack/feed stores, we’ll always buy most of our feed, supplies and tack from them. The only item we don’t buy consistently from them is hay, because I’ve found a supplier that sells heavy, tightly-strung 3-string bales of the softest greenest grass hay, from California. And that guy delivers for free with at least 10 bales.
I digress. So, I tried on the Miracle Knee Support and was amazed at the amount of support it provided without any metal or stiff pieces inside. It is comfortable, too. I can wear it and forget that I’ve got it on! I’ve been walking for the past couple days without a crutch, even though my knee still feels unstable and gimpy. But with the Miracle Knee Support, I almost forget that my knee has anything wrong with it. I love it!
This is what the product details say:
“Now you can ride again without knee pain with the Miracle-Knee Support. In fact, the Miracle-Knee Support is great for any athletic event because it allows complete mobility at all levels of activity and reduces the effects of arthritis, damaged cartilage, sprains, or strains. Flexible medial and lateral stays provide side-to-side support for ligament instability. Moist heat therapy helps increase blood circulation and relaxes tight or sore muscles. Made of neoprene, the unique wrap design makes application easy and gives a perfect fit at the thigh and calf. The irritating pinching, binding and rubbing common to slip-on knee supports is eliminated due to the open back design. Worn over or under clothing, the Miracle-Knee Support enables you to comfortably return to work or play.”
Thanks to Shirley for letting me know about this Miracle Product!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, it’s 60F degrees today and most of our snow has melted. I’ve even got the windows open and I’m enjoying the warmth and the sounds of the birds singing. This is a photo I took this morning before the warmer temps melted most of that snow.
Unfortunately, the weather folks are predicting another big snowstorm, with ‘moderate to heavy accumulation’ to blow in on Wednesday.
(Apache and Yalla!, Val’s cute Arabian filly, born last summer)
I’m savoring this little taste of warm spring weather as long as I can.
34 comments :
hope the brace helps your knee...good photos of your Apache...
Oh shoot the last comment was from me JP but I hit the send too soon!
I hope you get better SOON!
I sure hope
the knee brace fixes you righ tup! IF the ground was dry you would get better faster!
Apache looks pretty relaxed in her new digs to me. I'll bet she's a happy girl :)
Nice that Apache has buddies over the fence, she will be fine, I bet you are missing her! Hope you are all healed up and ready to get back at it soon
Professional Choice makes great running boots for horses, so I'm not surprised their human braces are great too! Really, their running boots are widely used.
Sorry to hear about the impending storm. We've had temps in the 80's and haven't heard any news of it cooling off yet. Wish I could send about 15 degrees your way; its way too early in the year for temps this high!
Good for you on the knee support. Don't worry about Apache. She's really not sad -- just still adjusting to her new home.
Dan
I have heard good things about their knee support and their back brace. I own a few sets of SMB's and a cinch too. Great products.
Lisa....thank you thank you! I am going to get me one of those knee braces! Glad to hear that you are doing better and some grass is in sight. Apache is lucky to have some company across the fence.
I totally forgot that Pro Choice makes knee braces! Not surprised that you like it, I find their horse boots really good although a bit pricey.
Lisa, oh, I hope the neat looking knee brace works! What sweet friends you have at the feed store.
Now nice for Apache to have close horsey friends over the fence.
I hope that the weather soon clears up so you can get out with your beautiful critters. I am sure Apache misses her new mom; warm weather will come!!!
It's raining here, again, so Gilly is gleefully rolling in the mud....so is the stinker donkey!
Hang in there!!! :-D
hugs my blogger friend!
Jane and Gilly
That's great that you found a brace that sounds like it's going to work. That's gotta be hard when you've found your pony love and are earthbound still. Soon enough, dear Lisa. Stay safe and don't get too adventurous and fall again.
That is wonderful that you found something that works. I think I will have to look into that brace, I am trying to get back in to shape and I keep having knee problems. I am sure that if I lose weight it will be easier on my knee. . . but . . ya know that vicious circle.
I feel for your fear of slipping in mud. I won't go in the horse pens when it is really slippery. I manage to do everything from the outside. I hate mud season! But it is better than snow.
That is wonderful that you found something that works. I think I will have to look into that brace, I am trying to get back in to shape and I keep having knee problems. I am sure that if I lose weight it will be easier on my knee. . . but . . ya know that vicious circle.
I feel for your fear of slipping in mud. I won't go in the horse pens when it is really slippery. I manage to do everything from the outside. I hate mud season! But it is better than snow.
It's snowing here tonight, I begged you not to send it this way. :-)
The knee support sounds wonderful, it will give you more mobility.
The first couple of days Apache was here, Scout was in LOVE!! He ran over and talked with her over the fence instead of even going to eat his hay.
I think he was asking her to come over and join his harem. It's so funny how he likes to hang with all the ladies, and he's surrounded.
I'm glad you got some knee support. Hopefully, it'll give you some freedom without pain.
Wow, glad you found that knee brace! My dad wears huge braces on his knees (he needs knee replacement surgery.)
Must be frustrating to get a new horse then get injured and not be able to spend much time with her! I'm sure you will be able to be out with Apache soon. Looks like she is enjoying her new neighbhors! :)
I'm going to have to get me one of those braces. I have a gimpy knee too. I hurts so bad when I ride. I'll check into one. Thanks for the info.
You make me kind of wonder if they make an ankle brace too... I keep doing horrible things to my ankles and last summer because a pro at ace bandage wrapping my ankles before trying to work with a green horse.
Also, every time you mention some of Baby Doll's behaviors I find myself being reminded of my own mare. For instance... when I run out of treats or grain she always wants to wandering away. Fortunately the turning her but to me has stopped. She's a challenge and most days I enjoy her.
Here's to healing! I hope the brace gives you the strength to get out there and pet that pretty horse...
Glad you checked the knee support out, and that it worked for you. Their back brace is wonderful too. Looks like you're starting a fashion trend, there'll be pro Choice Miracle Knees all over the place! You'll be riding again soon; patience my friend!
Gotta hand it to PC gear..they just make great stuff! Good for you...
I had to wear something like that, for a time and they do help for the stability!
I hope the next storm just comes and goes quickly!The ground looks good there!
KK
I am sorry about the knee. I do hope the brace helps keep you mobile.
The 'bugs eye view' was pretty creepy :)
I just love your Apache! She is such a beautiful horse inside and out. I'm sure she misses you too.
thank you, friend for stopping by the Bridge. I enjoy it every time you visit! You're my favorite neighbor! Seriously!! ( I can say that here cause none of my other neighbors read your blog - I doubt - you'd have to enjoy horses and ranching, I guess - but I just love the fact that you share your whole lovin family - critters and all!!! )
I wish for no more snow for you!!I wish spring flowers and sunny days with a warm mellow breeze to cool your face, and brighten your spirit!
Luv ya, Patrina <")>><
That is so cool about the knee brace!! I will patiently wait for updates on how it works while you ride! As you know, I've also had ACL surgery and have had some problems resurface (think I re-injured it about a year and a half ago) and have been wearing a brace from the drug store. That is so nice of the tack store to sell it so cheap!
I have to be careful of mud and ice too. Today my farrier was out, and I went to catch Chance, she was standing in the muddiest part of her pasture. I thought I was going to slip and fall trying to get her halter on! But I remained standing, thank goodness!
As long as Apache can rub noses over the fence...she is not alone! I know you are worried about her but she looks fine in the photos...take care of yourself first, Apache would want that!
I'm glad your feeling at least a bit better!! You'll be buzzing around in no time! The knee brace sounds awesome!! Poor Apache, I bet she does miss you! But it sounds like Ranchman John is doing a fabulous job of taking care of her!!
Sounds like you are on track with the knee support. That is a great brand, and works well for support for our horses legs, how cool that they have a product for us!!! As an aside, I am very happy I don't have a knee problem or my career as a nurse working 12 hr. days would be finished....yikes. Kinda scary as a single mommy.
You asked me about my half chaps and I never got back to you. Sorry 'bout that. I wear the Ariat half chaps and they are suede. I tried the leather ones, but didn't get the fit I wanted, and the suede ones feel SO much better! Anyway, I have tall riding boots if I feel the need for leather! I LOVE MY HALF CHAPS! And yes, they are major comfy. I am often seen around town running errands in them before or after riding... I wear them over Ariat riding boots, the ones that tie in the front and zip in the back with the rounded toe. Worth every penny and very comfy. I remember that you said your boots don't fit right; where did you get them? If you purchased them from Dover Saddlery you can return anything, anytime NO MATTER WHAT, even like a year later. If not, why not post em on your blog? I'm sure they'll fit someone right and give you cash for a pair you love... JUST AN IDEA.... :)
Glad you purchased Apache, good luck in a bright future together!!!
~Mindy
Glad you are getting relief for your knee. Hopefully it will dry up enough today that you can go out and visit Apache. :)
Glad you are moving about more freely,rotten mud, snow and what have you. That Shirley she's a fountain of wisdom. I think I will have to get me one of those knee supports or maybe even 2. Shirley forwarded me your e mail to her about making a trip to Canada. I sure hope you guys get to do it, it would be very cool to meet you in person.
I hope that knee starts feeling better! I have the problem with the back. It was out and back to the chiro tonight. Did anyone say it was spring? It has been rainy and dreary here. Mud has arrived for us. You take care of that knee!
Hmmmm....Not sure what snarkiness is, but I might be willing to risk it for a chance to shovel chicken poo for the next 10,000 years!!!
Hello Lisa, Great Story and photos.
I hope that knee gets better real soon.
Hi Lisa, So happy you found a brace that will work! Hope you are back on your feet soon:)
Those knee injuries are hampering a lot of people's fun right now! What's going on with that?! Hope you start feeling better soon. Oh and your neighbor's horse? Super cute!! I love his mixup of spots!
Post a Comment