Wednesday, March 10, 2010

She’s Home and She has a New Name!

 

Sorry for teasing everyone in my last post with the ‘cliffhanger’. But yes, Apache, the horse formerly known as ‘Sugar’,  has passed every test and she’s now home….....at the Laughing Orca Ranch!!!!! Whooohooo!

IMG_8603

I know that I’ve been very guarded and cautious this time around. But I almost caved completely when Jenna fell in love and felt safe with Apache. Apache takes such gentle care of my kids and she scored big there. In hindsight, I should have had my kids ride Baby Doll before I bought her, too.

I still love and miss Baby Doll. She was like my first love as my first horse. But I feel sort of  like I wasted 2 years of my life…….and went through way too much pain and suffering with her.  I think it’s best if I just rack it up as a learning experience and realize that if I hadn't went through what I did with Baby Doll, and had bought Apache as my first horse instead, I might not have appreciated a horse as special as Apache.

IMG_8634

And I do believe that everyone is happy that Apache has found a new home here with my family. My friend, Colleen was very patient with me, but I'm sure she wanted to hit me over the head and tell me to just hurry up and buy this mare. In fact, she said that if I didn't, then she would! 

I didn’t want to say too much earlier because I was still in negotiations with the owner and trying to set up a meeting time/place. The owner has a very busy schedule but it looks like we’ll finally be meeting up on Friday and then Apache will officially be mine!

IMG_8617 

I’ve had Apache vet checked, had her treated by the chiro, and Colleen’s farrier trimmed her feet last Thursday. But she still needs her teeth floated, her shots done, and a coggins pulled. The owner said she never had Apache seen by a vet and just focused on her feet because they were so long. She is asking $1000 for her, so I offered $900, which is what I sold Baby Doll for. But the owner countered back that she'll accept $950. Oh well, I'll take it! It’s crazy to think about, but for the money I originally paid for Baby Doll, I could have bought THREE and a Half  'Apache' horses!

IMG_8629 

Maybe it’s too soon to tell yet, but I have a feeling that Apache is going to be one of those 'worth her weight in gold' type of horses anyway.

As for the new name, the moment I met Apache, that's the name that was in my head. It's as if she put it there. I never gave it any thought at all. Apache has never really been 'Sugar' anyway. Her owner said she thought that's what the previous owners called her, but she didn’t really use a name for her at all.

IMG_8625

What do you all think of animals ‘giving’ you their names?  Or that a name just seems to be a good fit and an animal seems to like it and approve of the name. Apache already comes to me when I call out to her " 'Patchy Girl"!

It’s a good thing I was able to ride both Saturday and Sunday so I could finally decide if Apache would be a good match for me, because Sunday night it started to snow and left behind about 2-3” on the ground. Poor Apache. What a sad welcome that was. The snow isn’t so bad, but the winds have been horrible, and the only shelter I have for her right now is one large tree to stand beneath and a large grove of trees that serves as a useful windbreak.

IMG_8612

Our llamas, goats and sheep are in the other stall in the barn, and Apache is still unsure about them. I wouldn’t force her to spend the night in the barn next to creatures that seem so foreign to her when she already has so many new sights and smells in her environment to get used to now.

IMG_6818

That being said, Apache is much less spooked about the llamas than Baby Doll was when she first arrived at the Laughing Orca Ranch. And in fact, it took Baby Doll several months before she would even get within 40 feet of them.   Apache, on the other hand just eyes them with suspicion, especially Catlinite, the male guard llama, because he has a very rude habit of staring very aggressively at new creatures. He did the same thing with Val’s horses, when we first brought him home. He would even charge at them from across the fenceline. After a while, Val’s horses figured out his bluff and would charge right back at him, and with his bubble burst, he finally gave up pretending to be Mr. Llama Drama Tough Guy.

IMG_6685

But now Mr. Rudeness Drama Llama is at it again with Apache. So to give Apache some self-confidence, I haltered her and led her up to the food and water the first day after she arrived, because she was just too worried about the llamas to leave the end of the paddock closest to Val’s horses and barn.

IMG_8598

Plus I wanted to be sure she was drinking, eating, peeing and pooping, and I stood up there with her while she ate, and did her business. And every once in a while I’d turn around and catch Catlinite staring, and yell at him to knock it off. He’d go back into the barn or turn his head, but he’d come back. The fuzzy bugger!

IMG_5126

Yesterday (Tuesday), Apache didn’t need me to halter her because she came up to the gate when she saw me, but I still stood out in the paddock while she ate. It was much warmer, too. So, I sat out on a stump and she hung out with me, letting me pet and scratch her until she became very sleepy. And the next thing I knew, she moved away from me about 8 feet and plopped down and promptly fell asleep!!!!

Maybe some of you are used to a horse just laying down at your feet and going to sleep, but I’m not. Baby Doll was very secretive of her naptimes, and if she even saw me looking at her in the paddock, from down at the house, when she was on the ground, she’d pop right back up and give me the ‘evil eye’.  In the two years I owned her, and the countless hours I spent  just hanging out with her, she never once laid down or even rolled within 50 feet of me. Thank goodness for camera zoom. I took this one very stealthily from the house. She still caught me, though. She was up the very next second.

IMG_6426

So, I was really kicking myself for forgetting my camera on Tuesday, but I was afraid to move for fear of ruining the moment, so I just sat on my little stump, in the sunshine and chilly wind,  for 20 minutes while Apache stretched out and slept. Toward the end of her nap, Jenna came up from the house to see what I was up to, and I thought for sure that Apache would jump right up, but Jenna quietly walked down to us and stood by me and watched as Apache looked at us sleepily, and then flopped onto her side instead. I felt so privileged that Apache would trust us enough to let her guard down, close her eyes and allow us to be with her during one of a horse’s most vulnerable moments.

I remembered to bring my camera with me today (Wednesday), though, hoping that Apache would feel relaxed enough to let me be her guard while she slept……and she did, but she fell asleep on her feet instead. I sat out there on my stump for a good 20 minutes until my feet, nose and thighs were frozen and numb, keeping a watchful eye for Apache while she slept. You can also see Val’s sweet filly Yallah sleeping behind Apache, too.

IMG_8646

When she did finally awake, Apache walked over to me for a nuzzle and a cheek scratch, and then walked a few feet away….plopped down and rolled……and rolled….and rolled. Check out the video! I was ready. haha!

(There’s really no sound in this video, except the wind and me laughing, but if you want to, you can turn off the music, by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking the double-lined round button on my Play List)

 

So, if you’ve noticed that I’ve not been by to visit many of you, please don’t take it personal……..this is the reason why. Between my normal daily activities/chores and homeschooling schedule, I’ve been spending every spare moment sneaking up to the barn, to freeze my extremities, and bond with my new horse, Apache.

65 comments :

Dan and Betty said...

Good for you. I'm interested in how her feet go as the farrier works on them.

Dan

Sir Darby said...

Congratulations! Best wishes for many happy trails in the future.

Shirley said...

***happy dance!**** Yaaayyy!She looks right at home, and her personality is so much more suited to your family. I think she picked you, rather than the other way around!
It's funny about names; sometimes you just know it the way you did, and sometimes it takes a while. It took me a while to get Beamer's name right; I was calling him by his initials, IBM, and it morphed into Beamer.
I didn't know you lived right next to Val, thought she was a ways away from your place for some reason. So nice to have a good neighbor like that! Getting to see Yalla! must be nice too, watching her grow.
Here's to lots of future posts with your sweet mare!

Dusty Devoe said...

I am so happy for you Lisa and your family! She is beautiful and sounds like she will be the perfect girl. Can't wait to hear about your rides.

Janice said...

No suprise there. I knew she was going home with you.It is going to take some getting used to ....the new name.I had to comment about what you said about being able to get 3 Sugar's....oops Apache's for what you paid for Baby Doll, after you have had her for awhile I think you will discover that you may not find 3 of her in your lifetime, she is pretty special.I am so happy for you Lisa I am expecting some wonderful horse posts in the very near future.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

No worries either about not being around to the other blogs , what a great thing to be keeping you busy!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Congrats !I am soo happy for you , and Apache. Waht a lovely mare! As for the naming thing , some of them have told me their names like she did and others, not so much . The one that comes to mind for me is Johnnie, if you like you can read about him here.
http://fernvalley01.blogspot.com/2009/07/crippled-colt-and-happy-ending.html

StefRobrts said...

Excellent! Apache is such a lucky horse. I can't believe a wonderful personality like hers was so ignored at her last home they didn't even bother to give her a name! I'm so glad you found each other.

Your story makes me miss being around horses so much. I saw a local stables that does therapy riding advertising for volunteers to help clean stalls and groom horses, so I wrote to her and she told me to come by next week. We'll see how it goes, but at least I can get some experience around horses.

Mama H said...

Whoo Hoo!! She's been a winner from the get-go, I think. The connection between her and your daughter really got me. I'm so happy for you to have a sweet trustworthy honest horse in your home. Looks like we're in for years and years of posts featuring Apache! Soo soo happy for you. Congratulations!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm glad it worked out. She sure is cute. She gives off a happy vibe.

Kateri said...

Congratulations! She is a beautiful horse! :)

Jessica said...

Yay! She definitely seems like the perfect fit for you and your family! I hope you have many, many years of good times with her. She sure is cute!1

Anna Larson said...

Yea that last teaser didn't fool me, I knew the minute you posted that photo of that happy little girl riding, that you would have that horse at your house.

Congratulations to you, your family and Apache.

Unknown said...

I had a feeling when you were calling her "Sugar" there was something up with her name.
I knew it. She sounds like a perfect match. You know the old farmers used to determine how much a horse was worth by how many times they could roll completely over.

lytha said...

she looks perfectly comfortable in that weather with her thick coat. she is very photogenic.

do you realize you've had two paint horses and both had black and white tails with the the black half at the bottom? if it had been the reverse, you'd be forever washing the white half. (like i am.) lucky you!

mean llama. i wonder what a llama would do if it was really attacking. do they bite and stomp?

~lytha

Pony Girl said...

Congratulations Lisa! Apache looks very happy!! How fun to see another colorful horse in your pasture! ;) Can't wait to read more about her adjustment, and your journey together.

Farmer Jen said...

So happy to hear you two are a match! I too, wondered about the quotes you used around "Sugar". Apache fits her better.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! How wonderful for all parties involved:) What's with owners that don't believe in having teeth done, sheesh!
I changed all my horses' names as well. Apache is fitting. Way too many "Sugars" in the world!

Unknown said...

woooohooooo I am feeling your joy!!
I know you have to be ecstatic.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

I too cannot be more thrilled that you found such a good match!!! It will be so fun to watch everything you guys do together!! I kind of thought you were gonna change her name! I like Apache, that name is actually in a couple of my horses sires name so therefore in their's as well!!

cdncowgirl said...

Ok I know we e-mailed about this but to make "blogfficial"...
Congrats!! I am so excited for you all!
Looking forward to more great posts.
Hope Mr Drama Llama Ding Dong gets over himself & welcomes the newest herd member soon :)

small farm girl said...

You can tell that Apache(Love the name) is very comfortable with you. Her laying down is one of the biggest sings. That's good. When a horse and rider trust each other, it make a whole lot of difference. I'm glad to hear your news! Good riding!

Anonymous said...

congrats lisa, she looks like a great horse and so adorble!! :)
cant wait to see & hear more x

Ed said...

YEAAHHHH! Apache is a great name and is going to fit right in at the Laughing Orcha Ranch..:-))))

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

talking about names, my animals always seem to name themselves although I have names written down or in my head to use. Most recently, when Gabbi came by C-section, the Vet pulled her out, and that was GABBI! I have no idea why I named June as June because I'd never thought to name a pet, June. It's weird but I know what you're talking about.

I think Apache is gorgeous, I love short, red horses and she seems so sweet. Very happy for ya Lisa.

We're leaving Sunday morning to go pick up that trailer.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I visited with John and Apache the other morning. She seems to be a sweet little gal. For what it's worth, I like Patches rather than Apache- more Morgan and less Indian pinto pony if you know what I mean.

I know you will enjoy her.

Leah Fry said...

I'm so happy for you!!! I think she's lovely. Perfect name, too. Now, off into the sunset with you LOL!

Mellimaus said...

Aww; congrats again! :) Apache is so wonderful; great name for a GREAT horse! It's not often you get such a perfect horse like her :)

Lori Skoog said...

Good news Lisa....enjoy!

Anonymous said...

How amazing and wonderful - she's very lucky to have you and I expect you'll find you're very lucky to have her - she does love to roll!

Jeni said...

Oh Lisa I'm sooo happy for you and your family! Every picture of you since you started evaluating her shows a smile on your face... and picture of her shows a relaxed happy horse. The fit is right

Don't worry about visiting enjoy your new family member =)

Have a wonderful day
~Jeni

Spring Lake Farm said...

I am very happy for you! Enjoy her!

Beth said...

Oh this sounds like a match made in heaven! I hope she ends up being all that and more.

I understand about the name thing. When I got my last horse her name was Stella. It just did not seem to fit. I love the Alphabet Mysteries by Sue Grafton and Stella seemed to have the personality of her lead character, Kinsey Milhone. So Kinsey she is.

I really do hope that she works out very well for your and your kids.

jane augenstein said...

Lisa, she really trusts you to lay down at your feet and sleep; you were guarding her.
I'm so glad you got Apache, and can not wait to hear about your rides together! She is a beautiful girl inside and out.
May your ride many wonderful miles together.
hugs my friend!
Jane and Big Gilly

KD said...

Hip Hip Hooray !!! Of course we all knew it! Congrats on your forever horse.

CTG Ponies said...

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!

Jen's Farmily said...

Aww... this post made me so happy!! You sound so smitten with Apache! Congratulations on your new addition!

Alison said...

I tell you what, this just made my day! I'm so glad that you're so definite about this horse. And yes, those 2 yrs with BD will make you appreciate Apache much more--no regrets, only learning experiences!

That 5th picture of Apache behind the bush looks like a classic Western painting. A new title shot for the blog, perhaps???

Big congratulations to you; I'm more happy for you than words can express!!

EvenSong said...

yeah! Apache! Glad you've made such a great choice (of horses and names)! And I, too, have heard that rolling totally from side to side is a sign of athleticism and energy.
Welcome home, spotty girl!

strivingforsavvy said...

I am very excited for you all!

Renee (aka Army Wife) said...

WooHoo! You and Apache are a match made in heaven! You two were great Bushwackers Sunday. She took good care of you!

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Lisa! Wow! Did I get back to blogging at the right time or what!?! I think its time to change your name...Rapunzle just doesnt fit any longer! I cant tell you how excited I was reading your post (and catching up on you!) I've missed you so much) Apache sounds like a beautiful horse and a great match so far! yes I agree a horse names themselves sometimes, it happened with my black mare...Babe never fit her, from the moment I saw her Gypsy was the name I wanted that came to me and it fits her in every way, her temperament and all, but my daughter insisted on keeping the name Babe for a long time...finally i got my way tho! LOL How old is Apache? I'm so happy to hear you'll be riding again! I'm happy to be back to blogging, my health kept me away, but I'm back...and I cant wait to keep in touch again! <3 you and missed you so much Lisa!

Rising Rainbow said...

Sounds like she's a great fit for you and your family, Lisa. Congratulations!

Shelly's Stuff said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you've really found a great companion!

Sally said...

How exciting is that?!!! Love the new name, it fits so well.
Sally

LuLo Designs/Blue Eyed Tango said...

Congrats Lisa! Apache is so cute! I hope she's exactly what you need in a horse and much more! Yes, our trials make us appreciate the easy moments! She's really pretty....like her markings....can't wait to see your adventures together! Enjoy!

Andrea -Mustang Saga said...

Yay! Congratulations! To you and to her. She's found a wonderful family. You've found a wonderful horse. May you ride many happy trails together!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Yeah! I just think she is adorable and so glad you changed her name. I hope she brings all of you a lot of happiness. Sounds like she appreciates being important to someone.

Crystal said...

Ya Im so happy for you and Apache!
I am horibble at naming animals, I keep the names they are kept with. I had two painted fillies one year and they were red spot(red roan) and grey spot (blue roan) for the longest time.

colleen said...

Welcome!!!! I love her new name.

DesertHen said...

I am so Happy for all of you!! Congrats!! Apache has found her forever home!! Hooray!! =)

Patrinas Pencil said...

awwwwww, Lisa, I was praying for a 'family' horse. I am overjoyed! I think she is a lovely horse. She has so much more character and integrity than baby doll. That video was halarious!! She reminded me of a dog showing you her tricks. She didn't stop until she finaly rolled completely over from one side to the other.

And to lay down and slepp inyour presence is totally a good sign.

I just love her already!! I'm so glad she's found her home with you and your lovely family..

Hugs, Patrina <")>><

Chelsi said...

CONGRATS my friend!!! I am so happy for you. I hope that she will bless you with all the love and goodness that comes from a horse with a gentle heart.

*hugs*
C.

Gail said...

Yippi-i-okay, galloping all the way...right into your heart.

Amazing, and yes, I do believe animals can give you their names.

Welcome back to the world of horse owners...now will you help me with my fear???

Vaquerogirl said...

Good luck with your new pony! She's cute and you deserve having something cute and of course, safe!

Laura said...

Yeahhhh!!!!! I'm so glad that she is working out for you and you were able to bring her home! :-)

I can't wait to hear more about your adventures with her!

Btw, I really like all of the photos you've been posting...

Rural Writer said...

Hooray!!! I'm so thrilled for you. I hope she will be a wonderful horse for you and you'll really enjoy each other.

Mom L said...

Lisa, I am so happy for you! After following your ups and downs with Baby Doll, and your long recovery, this news is sooooo fantastic! Apache is as beautiful as BD. I've ridden horses but never had one. I'm used to cats or dogs who plop down next to - or on top of - you for their naps. I didn't realize that was such a trustful thing she did! Maybe that's the key - you seem to have an innate trust bond between you.

Nancy in Iowa

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Congratulations on your new horse! She is beautiful and looks kind. And she needed you as much as you needed her--the old owners didn't even name her really. I have a real good feeling about this one Lisa. I also had a Paint named Apache by the way.

You won't believe everything that's been going on over my way. I haven't been able to get to writing it yet but hope to get to it soon. It's wild.

50+ Horses said...

Oh My Gosh..Her Eyes! She has heart! I loved how you sat out with her while she slept (would have done the same thing) and when she woke up, she came to you!

I think you've got a soul mate! Look forward to your adventures and LOVE your site!

(A big smile with joy!) Sheri :)

Cheryl Ann said...

Yeah!!!! I'm so happy for both of you! You two look so good together. I'm sure you will have many happy rides with Apache.

Desert Rose said...

So thrilled for you and "Sugar"! May your rides behppy and safe!!! Can't wait to see her when she has shedded out...she's gonna be a beauty!

Christy said...

I hope she'll fit into the family perfectly. She seems like a great fit so far.

allhorsestuff said...

waaa..my rather long comment from the other day- never made it here!
Well, short version! Love her new name and your nick name is great! She is trusting and peerfect for you Liss!
Kac

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

Congratulations! She looks like she's belonged there all along!
- The Equestrian Vagabond