Sunday Morning dawned cloudy and wet. There was spitting rain and a few snow flurries at my house as I left for Cedar Hill Farm, which is only about 25 minutes south of our house. On the way, I drove through a deluge of rain, and a white out of snow, and even a sky with sunshine peeking through the clouds. There really is such a diverse difference in our mountains with micro-climates at every elevation.
When I arrived at Cedar Hill Farm, the sun was warming everything up, though the sky was still partly cloudy. I went in to ‘Sugar’s’ pen/stall and got her haltered and spent about 20 minutes grooming her as she was plastered in mud and dirt. It seems she’s not used to being inside a stall and prefers to stand outside when it snows or rains. I used some Cowboy Magic on her tail and mane and after much currying and brushing she looked like a new horse.
I got her saddled and bridled and I mounted up at the stables. Then the group of us 7 riders mosied on over to the indoor arena to warm up our horses.
After about 15 minutes we all came outside to pose for a group photo.
From left to right: Elise riding Casey, Renee’s Foxtrotter mare. Greg, Renee’s husband riding his gelding, Jesse. Colleen riding her mare, Kitty. Loetta riding her gelding Profie. Me riding ‘Sugar’. Lance riding Rosie. Renee riding Colleen’s trail horse, Sadie.
And then we headed out for the trails. Colleen and Loetta had some of the riders carry saddle bags with the flags for the April ACTHA event, so we could start getting the CTR trails set up as we rode.
What an adventurous ride! We were literally blazing new trails or as some call it: bushwhacking. We wound our way through the trees, up and down hills, and through steep, rocky, narrow sections. And boy howdy! Was I glad to have worn my helmet and been on a shorter horse because of the many low tree boughs and dead branches that tried to snag us and wipe us off our horses as we squeezed through. I could feel the branches scraping my helmet as I laid low over ‘Sugar’s’ neck as we skimmed below them.
There were several instances where Colleen, in the lead, and several of the other riders reached a certain challenging area and called back to the rest of us to turn back and find a different way because it was just too harrowing. ‘Sugar’ gave me her all and did just as I asked her to do each and every time. Even when I asked her to back up and turn around and leave the rest of the horses behind, she obeyed. And she helped me find a different route through and around the thick trees, too.
At one point, though, there was a very narrow, downhill opening with a flat rock between two thick juniper trees and instead of walking on the rock, she chose to walk into one of the junipers. Thankfully it was a short chunk off the side of the juniper and she picked her way carefully through it, but I almost thought I might lose my seat for a moment. But we just kept moving steadily forward.
At another section, on a high ridge, ‘Sugar’ could see the top of the arena from our vantage point, and she gave it a hard stare and had to be persuaded to leave it behind and follow the rest of the group. She didn’t act up or fight about it, though. She just stood still and had to be urged to move forward.
I was very pleased with how well she does in a group of horses. She seems to get along with everyone and doesn’t even mind horses up her butt or getting too close. At one point, we were stopped waiting for an ACTHA flag to be placed on a tree, and I was leaning back on ‘Sugar’s’ rump, giving her a little scratch, when I felt something wet on the top of my hand. When I looked down, I laughed to see Loetta’s gelding, Profie licking and nuzzling my hand! ‘Sugar’ didn’t mind him back there at all.
But she does mind her own business and doesn’t feed off the high energy of other horses when they are acting up. Several of the other horses were high spirited, jiggy and sometimes even squealing at one another, but ‘Sugar’ just seems to know she has a job to do and none of that matters. She just keeps her ears forward and her focus on the trail, carefully picking her way over rocks, logs, around boulders, and through mud and snow.
I also like her fast walk. When we’re out in the open, she can cover ground very quickly. It’s nice to be out in front sometimes. But when we’re riding with Rosie, we won’t ever be in the very back of the line anyway because Rosie doesn’t like anyone to ride behind her. haha!
As you can see in this video, Lance was riding Rosie, so he had to stay at the end of the group. My friend, Renee was in front of me, riding Sadie, another one of Colleen’s trail horses. Elise was way in front, riding Renee’s Foxtrotter mare that day, so that Renee could build up her self-confidence on a horse with a little less energy. As you can tell by the sound of my voice, I was having a lot of fun.
(To turn off the music, scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on the double-lined button on my Playlist)
We did get rained on several times during our ride, but it was mostly just sprinkles and spitting rain, so we just kept on riding. During our trail blazing, we got a little turned around a couple times and had to find new routes through the trees and up and down ridges, and I suggested to Colleen that she might want to change the name of her Blue Moon Riding Company to Blue Moon Bushwhacking Company instead. Everyone got a kick out of that. haha! At one very narrow opening with lots of dead branches poking every which way, we squeezed through and Loetta lost her cowboy hat’s concho and rain cover. Thankfully the concho wasn’t expensive or valuable and so she didn’t even bother trying to look for it, though.
A few times we had to ride straight down boulder and rock covered hills, maneuvering through narrow openings in the trees, too. My biggest worries were that I’d get scraped off by a pinon or juniper tree or that ‘Sugar’ might trip and fall, so I just gave her full freedom of her head and hoped for the best. But ‘Sugar’ took good care of both of us, keeping us safe every time.
Altogether we rode for about 2 hours. When we finally arrived back at the stables, I was tickled to find several ‘souvenirs’ tucked around my saddle, saddle pad, in my jacket and in my hair. Colleen joked that no good trail ride is complete without bringing home some nice souvenirs. Well, yeh, but I wouldn’t exactly say that sticks and branches are the kind of souvenir I’d choose to bring home. haha!
I had a great time, but it was time to go home, so I got ‘Sugar’’s saddle and bridle off and then we loaded her into our trailer for the ride home.
41 comments :
Girlfriend, you and Sugar are just rockin & rollin! Is it official yet? Man, she sounds like a great little horse.
Does that mean home to your house????
Is she now at the Laughing Orca Ranch??? You had a great time on Sunday and Sugar was a doll.
Sounds to me like she is your perfect horse!! Enjoy her
Kris
I'm liking the latest chapters in Lisa's Horse Saga. Can't wait to read more!
Good post and good pictures.
Dan
Awww...great start for Sugar's new life...and yours. Congrats Lisa!
Lisa!! You stinker! You are keeping us all in SUSPENSE; is Sugar yours for keeps? Did you buy her, you should, what a horse!
She sounds like a keeper, what a great trail horse. Not sure if I would trust Gilly that much, he gets pretty wound up when other horses are around that he doesn't know. He has to prance around with his tail looped over his back, neck arched and nickering; thinks he's a stud, silly boy!
Can't wait to hear more....you are teasing us by only giving us little bits of info here! LOL
hugs....
Jane
I'm glad you had a good time. Sounds like Sugar is just perfect for you.
I love a horse that can stay in tune with its rider and shut out the activity around it.
I'm not sure if you've definitely made a decision on Sugar yet but I really hope that you keep her. She sounds like a great horse and you had fun riding again.
Aww now girl that is just not fair. It's not!! "For the ride home..." WHICH HOME??? LOL
I'm betting it IS Laughing Orca as H-O-M-E!
And since it will be (i'm sure of it!) give that sweet mare a rub on her cheeks from me, for taking such grand care of you on your ride, and for taking such wonderful care of Jenna too ;)
If I read a comment Lisa made on another blog, Sugar is at home at Laughing Orca Ranch!
Congrats to you Lisa!!
~Jeni
I do love the happy sound of your voice in the video, and I'm looking forward to the next post which has just gotta be the arrival at Laughing Orca! By the way, like her new name too!
Nothing like a trail ride. Sugar sounds like she is doing great for you!
That ride sounded like so much fun! And, that's what riding should be all about. I'm with all of the others, holding my breath in suspense to learn whether or not Sugar has a new home at Laughing Orca Ranch.
That is so cool ! I am so excited for you two and the trail are a BLAZIN!
What a good horse to not get into the herd mentality when there are others who cant behave.
Yay Lisa, so where's the pic of her at her new barn. I am so happy for you, you would think she was my new horse. Hey I didn't see anything about a new name ....what is it? Congrats. Oh before I forget, Lisa could you leave me your mailing address on my blog because I can't seem to get into your e mail address. Your Mirror hang is on it's way here as we speak so I will get it back into the mail and on it's way as soon as it arrives. That thing is going to be well travelled by the time you get it.
Leave us hanging why don't ya! I'm sure "Sugar" was loaded and taken to her new home, and it seems like it's a great fit. I'm glad you still get to live your dream of being a horse "owner", though it's usually the horse that "owns" us. Congrats!
I think I know a little painted pony that is coming home to laughing orcha ranch for good.
Oh I can't wait to send you your stuff Lisa. I will have a post up in a few minutes on your finished stampede strings.
That's so awesome! I can't believe a horse as nice as Sugar is out there looking for a home at that price, you really won the lottery with her!
Everytime I read about you two things get better and better! Cant wait for the next chapter!
Congrats Lisa!!!
You naughty girl - quit teasing us and make the annoucement already! :)
Sounds like a great ride. Have to watch the video when I get home (checking blogs on my phone at work)
One question, which name is it 'Apache' or 'Sugar'?
I agree with the others: Great ride on a great little pony! And you're teasing us...
Wow. Colleen's Kitty might be a twin for my Kate! (Altho she looks a little taller, and not quite such a chunky monkey as my girl.) Is she dun or buckskin?
Yippee !!
Sounds like you had lots of fun out on that trail ride! :) Sugar sounds sweet.
~Lydia
YEY!! You're being pretty tricky, but....I'm pretty sure I know what home you're talking about...sheesh... :)
Congrats!! She's seems like such a wonderful, great mare; good temperment, and so cute! :) She lets you know what she'd like to do, but is game for you to lead her...that's great
Enjoy!
She sounds like she has found her family! what a journey you have been on ! thanks for taking us along for the ride!
So is it a done deal???? Is Sugar going home for good???? This is like a cliff hanger, we think we know the end, but you must tell us for sure!!!
Oh way to go..I am so happy for both of you!! The trail horse you have wanted for so long!! :)
Yay!
So, what's with the "Sugar"? Is she getting a new name?
I'm thrilled for you. Absolutely thrilled.
Yaa Sounds like Sugar is working out for you, keep enjoying her!
Ha, a cliffhanger ending! How neat that this story is kinda ending....but maybe really just beginning???? :)
I loved reading "we loaded her into our trailer for the ride home". Home...wonderful words to hear you say about Sugar. Nice she is home with you
So I get home, and watch your video and then it hits me... didn't you say you weren't able to take photos or videos while riding "Sugar" because she is more challenging to ride than Rosie?
Hmmm, seems to me that someone's confidence has grown a whole heckuva lot :)
Lisa~ I am SO thrilled for you!! Sugar has turned out to be a real gem for you!!! And I know she loves you as much as you love her!! I am so proud of her for taking such good care of you!!
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mission accomplished! You have a new partner, and that's wonderful. :)
I am excited for you. It is hard to find such a good horse. The scenery is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
i wanted to answer a few questions for you that you asked.
quarter horses are the new cool thing in germany, as well as western riding. (i have to giggle)
there is even a DQHA - a german qh assoc. weird huh? but they're just an affiliate of th AQHA - all german registered QH are actually registered in america.
i was tripping out when i discovered this at the horse fair.
you mentioned that icelandics are expensive in america. i wanted to say that there is no huge horse overpopulation problem in germany, so horses are RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE, overall. it freaks me out cuz someday i'll want to buy another horse, and it looks like i'll be taking out a bank loan for such an investment.
i wonder how the horse market is related to the fact that practically no one keeps their horse at home in germany. there are riding stables in every city, riding is huge here, but horses live in big barns, not in a family's own farm. i assume that is from the infrastructure of this land - so many people in such a small space - they don't build homes with acreage. every single person who asks me where i keep my horse is surprised to find out "at home".
strange life here.
~Lytha
Sugar has it good! Congrats...
Sally
So, are you taking Sugar home FOR GOOD? She seems like a nice mare! Can't wait to hear your follow up!
Ohhh, it's like I just woke up! I was THERE with you on that ride! Very well written. :)
But the story ended too soon, I think there is more. Awwwwww, come on! Fess up!!!! The suspense is killing all of us (but you do make it fun for us)!!!!!
Post a Comment