Our crazy snowstorm with booming thunder and flashing lightning sure left behind a mess of destruction in it’s wake……not even counting me and my knee.
As mentioned yesterday, the heavy wet snow ripped open the hawk netting of the chicken coop. I was able to gimp outside today and do some zip tie repairs to the gaping netting, so the chickens could get back outside again.
The snow also collapsed one of my favorite juniper trees that line our driveway.
(The view looking up our driveway with our house in the background)
Thanks to my twinling Jem for taking these photos.
The view down our driveway.
We’ll have to use a saw to remove the split off broken branch that is laying across our driveway. I have a feeling we’ll end up losing the rest of the tree, too. I’m sure going to miss it.
Today, with the warm temps and piles of 9” deep heavy snow, we had a fast melt-off which caused a major leak in the back porch’s ceiling below our loft balcony. Bummer.
Good news is that my knee is feeling better today and I can put more weight on it. The knee is still swollen and unstable and I’m still wearing my knee brace and using one crutch to get around, but at least it’s not painful.
Most of the snow has melted with our 50F degree temps today, but here’s a few photos from Monday.
Zuni surveying her snowy kingdom.
Can you see Apache in the distance?
How about now? She seemed to enjoy her nap in the snow.
Apache searching in vain for grass.
Then heading up to the barn for some hay instead.
A much happier moment……
25 comments :
Those snow storms sure move in and out fast, don't they?
Apache must have enjoyed her "snow" nap!! She looks like she is settling in quite well!!
Glad to hear that your knee is feeling a little better! Hopefully it isn't anything serious, and that you just tweaked it. My knee still gets very inflamed from time to time. It doesn't really swell, but the heat it produces is outrageous! At least I know when to pull out the ice pack!
Sorry about the tree and roof!! Wet, heavy snow isn't any fun. That is usually all we get here, and it is so destructive!
Oh good! You sound well despite the freakish storm and it wake upon your lands and home...so sorry it is making more work all around.
Zuni was sweet sitting in the only bare spot seen!
And That clear- as- Crystal- equine eye shot...lovely!
I pray that you heal well and are up and letter box finding/ riding/walking/hiking(weather behave) SOON!!!
XOXO
Kac
That must have been one heck of a storm to cause that tree to tumble. I love cedars and junipers. They do so much to provide a wind break, I know I hate it when we lose one, even if it's not near the house. Hope you can save it.
SO glad your knee is feeling better.
Uggg, that heavy, wet snow is the worst. Sorry to hear about the damage. But, I am very glad to hear that your knee is feeling somewhat better.
Wonderful pictures, Jem did good. :) You've had lots of snow this winter, but this looks like the worst 'storm' you had. So sad about your trees. Glad you knee is doing better, I know Apache misses your visits.
Glad to hear your knee is improving! That last shot has one of the best reflections I have ever seen. Great catch.
March snow storms sure are interesting. I'm glad your knee is feeling better. Won't be long until your riding again!
Wow that snow is really something, glad it going away! We still may get some flurries over the weekend but it's been warm here (grin) and today I think Gil and I will head out for a ride.
Glad to hear that your knee is feeling better and you can move around with brace and crutch! Hope it is all healed up real soon so you can get out there with your girl!!!!
hugs...
Jane and Gilly
Sorry to read about all your mishaps. Hopefully your fruit trees haven't begun to bud yet.
I love that last photo of you and Jenna in Apache's eye. Very cool.
That really sucks Lisa. No fun. I am glad our snow is gone. I don't think it's going to snow much more here this year.
Professional's Choice makes a knee brace that works well for riding; your local tack store may be able to get them.
Are you going to save the wood from the juniper? It smells really great and is nice for carving.
No more storms!You've had enough!
Please keep that snow west of the Mississippi. We haven't had snow lately but it's still cool, rainy, and just dreary. All the way to Alabama and back, we had sunshine and blue skies, witnessed Spring, but not here. Glad you're feeling better Lisa.
Too bad about your knee. And here you were worrying you would fall off a horse and instead hurt it by slipping in the snow. I hate when I do stuff like this.
Apache is just adorable, glad she's getting used to the place. Wow, your snow comes in fast and did some damage. I'm sure it will melt soon. Maybe this was the last storm before spring. Fingers crossed.
I still love Zuni - she looks kinda irritated with the snow - as if it's interfering with her rounds for the day.
I still love Zuni - she looks kinda irritated with the snow - as if it's interfering with her rounds for the day.
HAng in there Lisa! Spring will come!
Oh no, I missed yesterday when you hurt you knee again, hope it gets better quick, just in time for te snow to go away and see more Apache, makes you feel like shes the right horse when you want to spend all your time with her.
Holy smokes you got a lot of snow! Bumm-er. I won't even talk about our weather to you then... Take it easy on that knee, woman! Your pony misses you, she needs you to get better. Also, sorry about that leak. Hopefully that'll be your last snow for the rest of the season!
I hate to say it, but you may get more snow this weekend. Another storm's coming in.
I'm glad the knee's better. Get back into the saddle as soon as you can.
Dan
I am glad we didn't get much in the way of snow here this winter. It just wasn't a good winter for us to be prepared for snow, especially since we've lived on the farm here for a fairly short time. Next winter, we'll be prepared!
Ok Lisa, tell us the story of how you know how long it takes to shear goats! I imagine it will be much, much more entertaining than mine!
Wow...that is one big snow storm!! Hope your knee is better soon!
Glad your knee is feeling better. I'm glad that weather is not on this side of the border. Great pics to the twin.Stay warm spring is coming I finally saw a Robin the other day.
You poor dear....why is this always happening to you...your knee! I'm sorry that you injured it again. It looks like you and your daughter had a nice spring day together before that happened! Wow you got pounded with snow!
I was wondering what kind of chickens you have? I want to get a couple for fresh eggs. We live fairly close to the road and other neighbors so I need to think about those concerns too. I know nothing about them. I do remembering gathering eggs with my grandmother but I don't recall what kind she had they were just white. Take care of yourself and you'll be riding Apache before you know it. Too bad about your Juniper!
Goodness that is a lot to deal with!
Hi Lisa, Glad you are getting around and your knee is improving! That heavy snow can sure do a number on trees. Apache looks like she is getting comfy:)
Post a Comment