Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Windblown Pony Rides

 

Jenna has been asking me every day, for the past week, if she could ride Apache. We’ve been grooming and just hanging out with her, but we’ve had such strong gusty wind that I didn’t feel much like saddling up Apache and deal with flying dust and being blown around.

IMG_8727

We did notice a Weather Balloon floating above the National Forest and BLM Land beyond our property. See it there above and to the left of our barn?

IMG_9119

 

Apache wasn’t bothered by it at all.

IMG_9127

With the strong winds, the Weather Balloon sure moved fast and was above our house in no time at all.

IMG_9130

 

Wednesday morning I finally decided to just go with the flow, literally, and let Jenna ride Apache. She was thrilled, but it was almost painful to try and keep our eyes open and smile in the wind.

IMG_9273

 

I walked Jenna and Apache around the main paddock for about 20 minutes. Although my neighbor friend Val’s horses were excited with the the wind and seeing Apache being ridden, I was happy that Apache stayed calm and focused even though the other horses were running, bucking and squealing all over their arena, next door. It sure was entertaining to watch, too.

IMG_9268

Before I put Apache away I wanted to check the fit of her new saddle, without the saddle pad on again. I bought an Abetta Trail Saddle last week and it’s very comfy with the closed-cell foam cushioned, deep seat. I also like the feel of the Acu-Suede on the seat, too. It’s not my first choice for a new saddle, but it’s all I can afford right now. And even when I can afford what I really want, it will be nice to have this extra saddle for the kids to use. I love how lightweight it is at only 17 lbs, too. I did add to the weight just a little because I switched out the nylon billets, latigo, stirrup keepers, strings, and rear girth with the leather parts from my Henry Miller Amish Saddle. Eventually I’ll probably replace the Abetta cordura fenders for my Henry Miller leather fenders, too. They are already permanently turned and are very comfortable. And I’d like to get a new saddle pad that is longer down in the front  underneath the fenders. But for now I’m much happier with the Abetta saddle after these small changes.

IMG_9290

I also wanted to try on Apache’s new bridle and bit that was delivered yesterday. The bridle is a Circle Y, and the bit is a Korsteel French Link(copper piece) D Snaffle. I think she likes it. Immediately after she put it in her mouth, she became very soft and relaxed.

 

Then Jackson came up to the barn to remind me that I was supposed to drive all 3 of my kidlets over to their best friends’ house to hang out for the rest of the afternoon. But before we headed back down the hill, he asked if I’d lead him quickly around the paddock once before we left.

Apache didn’t mind, even with the wind gusts getting stronger. She just seems to enjoy all the attention.

IMG_9276

Boy Howdy, but it sure was windy. I was happy with how well Apache led around for me, though.

If the weather cooperates this weekend, I’ll finally get my own opportunity to ride Apache, too.

IMG_8725



32 comments :

Anonymous said...

What a good girl she is! You are really blessed to have found her, she seems like a great horse. I;m hoping Cassy will be a good horse for my boys with a few more months of work but fortunately we have the pony to use until then.

lytha said...

that's no weather balloon, that's a UFO!!!!! *lol*

oh good you got some knee saving stirrups! they made such a difference for my knees. over here in europe you can pay 200 euros (EUROS!) for stirrups. (they have springs in the bars.)

also, when do we get to see apache in your title picture?: )

~lytha

Leah Fry said...

I think it's very sweet and telling that Jenna trusts Apache so much.

We should do a synchronized walkabout Easter Sunday morning. We are supposed to have decent weather. How about you?

I hear ya about the wind. It's been crazy windy here since the weekend.

Anonymous said...

What a great horse - to be so well-behaved in the wind and with other horses acting up - you've got a real prize there! Your kids seem to really like her too! She looks quite happy in her tack - the new bridle and bit are pretty!

Gail said...

Apache is an angel! She was sent to you and fits all the family. She is so perfect and I love seeing Jenna riding.

You may have to fight for your turn!

Beth said...

What a great horse you have there! It sure pays off to take your time and think very carefully about your next partner, wish I had done that. :)

Louise said...

You sure got a winner, in Apache. Sounds like a great saddle, also, though, as a back east English saddle kind of gal, I can't really judge.

Anonymous said...

Jenna needs some riding googles and a pair of cowgirl boots! She's so cute. :)
The saddle is really pretty too.

Carla said...

That's great how she responds in the wind. Some horses are afraid of everything when it's windy. I guess it's because they can't hear as well?

Cactus Jack Splash said...

I am so happy for you and your family...Apache seems perfect!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Just look at that great little mare! So pleased for you all!

phaedra96 said...

I am so glad you have found a horse that fits everyone. And she probably thinks she landed in clover! A good horse is a wonderful thing, indeed.

Tammy Vasa said...

Although my "good" trail saddle is a Tex Tan leather, I have a Circle Y synthetic and an Abetta synthetic. I like the Circle Y just for putzing around the yard/arena. Its lightweight & easy. I did use it on Day 2 of a CTR (had forgotten my pad & Windy got sore with the one we borrowed on Day 1) and it actually held up real well for a 17 mile day. I bought both the kids synthetics because it was easier for them to handle. I think you'll be happy with it.

Dan and Betty said...

Good for you. Great pictures. She seems to be a good horse for you all.

Dan

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I'm glad she did so well in the wind and the kids are enthusiastic about riding her. The saddle looks comfy. I like the design and slope of the seat. Are you happy with the fit? I really couldn't advise you on what to get, because every horse is different, but the Abetta cordura saddles do fit a wide variety of conformations if you are not in the position to trailer a horse to a saddle shop and try on a bunch of them. I, personally, have never taken the time to do that myself. I'm an Internet shopper. It never lets me down. Everything is always in stock.

Unknown said...

Abetta's can be great and I have to say, I like a synthetic saddle. Not as pretty, but easy to ride in, and easy for a woman with a bad shoulder to toss on a horse.

Glad Apache is restoring everyone's faith. :)

Mikey said...

Such good pictures! I love how happy everyone looks :)

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

Apache is a good girl, and beautiful.

Unknown said...

Still so happy to see Jenna riding!

Dusty Devoe said...

Great pictures. I love it that Apache justs fits right in with your family. She is an angel.

Jocelyn said...

What a good girl she is !

I love my synthetic endurance saddle, it weighs next to nothing and is easy to get on and off!

Don't knock the price , they are fabulous! I had a circle Y saddle for years before I could afford my Barrel saddle. It's now going to be Shawns saddle.

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

she's a total Queen there!
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Janice said...

You just gotta love that horse, another test passed with flying colors.....what a good girl.

Gail said...

I am back again, enjoying the pictures and hungry for more.

Jenna looks like she is in hog heaven.

When are we seeing pictures of Momma riding?

Desert Rose said...

You seem to sure have gotten a good ol'girl there. She seems to be settleing in at your ranch just fine! We have had wind here to for a few days and even though I did not ride just being at the stables I got sand in my hair ears and nose...ugh!

Ed said...

Very cool and the new saddle looks great. I'm suprised no one reported the balloon as a ufo..:-))

Grey Horse Matters said...

Aw, Apache is a sweetheart. I'm sure she'll be a good match for you and you two will have lots of good times together. I'm hoping to ride this weekend myself. We've finally got some decent weather here.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I'm lovin that cute little horse. So glad she's fitting in so well.

Pony Girl said...

Aw, so cute to see the kiddos enjoying a ride on Apache! And how nice the wind didn't flinch her. Often the wind gets horses so riled up with a wild hair up their tails! ;)
Glad you got a new saddle. The stirrups look nice and wide and comfy for trail riding. My mom got a new saddle which I love, but I told her she needs to get those wider stirrups, they provide so much more support.

Andrea said...

I am so happy that you have your good old horse!! It's so wonderful to have your kids beg to ride!! What a good horse!!! I loved the pictures!!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

oh an ps~ I love the new look!!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

She just gets better by the minute!! I am SO glad Jenna loves her too!! Apache is really lucky to have you guys! Glad you got a new saddle! Can't wait to hear how the riding goes for you!