Saturday, May 15, 2010

CHAMP Trail Horse Obstacle Clinic

 

(Warning: Long post with lots of photos!)

Last Saturday I audited a Trail Obstacle Clinic hosted by Corrales Horse and Mule People (CHAMP) with trainer/instructor/clinician, Mike Sikorski.

BBackwardBanker

(Photo taken from Mike Sikorski’s website)

I was there with my friends from Walking in Circles Horse Ranch Rescue.

IMG_0498

Several of our volunteers were riding their rescued horses during the clinic and I was excited to see them working together with their horses and learning new things. And of course, to take photos, too.

IMG_0488

Mike and his wife Kathryn take in quite a few of the unwanted horses from the horse rescue for a few weeks to a few months for gentling and training, and they have helped many of these horses find a new home. They also participate in and ride in the ACTHA CTRs. They’ll both be riding in the June 12 and June 13th rides, that I have listed on my side-bar.

I thought I’d share many of the photos I took last weekend. (These are also for the CHAMP’s folks and WNCR Horse Rescue folks, too. Feel free to take the photos you’re interested in, or if you want a higher resolution/better quality, e-mail me and I’ll send the photos to you.)

IMG_0346 

A volunteer and her mare from Walking in Circles Horse Ranch Rescue. 

IMG_0348

 

 This is Steve Henry, the President of CHAMP. In addition, my dear friend Dan Cooksey(Check out his blog), is the CHAMP Newsletter Editor. He and his sweet wife Betty own an Icelandic gelding and a Rocky Mountain mare. They weren’t able to make it to the Trail Obstacle Clinic, though……because…they were in Hawaii! (Just a lil’ bit green with envy, I am) 

IMG_0347

 

 

IMG_0353

 

 

IMG_0356

 

 

IMG_0367

 

IMG_0368

 

 

IMG_0373

 

IMG_0375

 

IMG_0382

 

IMG_0392

 

IMG_0391

 

IMG_0396

 Another volunteer and his horse from Walking in Circles Horse Rescue. They have a very close bond and communicate very well together. It’s beautiful to watch.

IMG_0398 

 

IMG_0403

 

IMG_0401

 

 

IMG_0404

 

IMG_0415

IMG_0417

 

 

IMG_0418

IMG_0455

 

 

IMG_0389

 

Mike Sikorski helping an owner with her horse who has always refused to wear a bit. 

IMG_0491

 

IMG_0492

The horse did get away from him when she became overwhelmed and bolted, but she was caught and Mike worked with her some more in the round pen, and it didn’t take long before she was willing to accept the bit and be calm for her owner.

IMG_0494

 

IMG_0388

 

 Mike’s wife, Kathryn was also there to instruct riders and their horses as they took on the trail obstacles.

 

IMG_0449

 

IMG_0462

 A gorgeous, sweet mustang mare waiting to be adopted at Walking in Circles Horse Ranch Rescue. She has already went through training at Mike’s place. This rider was trying her out for the clinic.

IMG_0470

 

IMG_0424

 

IMG_0427 

 

IMG_0428

 

IMG_0464

 

 

One of the volunteers from WNCR riding her rescued gelding, Jackson, a Thoroughbred/Saddlebred. 

 

IMG_0434

 

IMG_0436

 

IMG_0438

 Jackson would probably go anywhere and do anything for his young owner. They have a wonderful relationship that is very special to watch.

IMG_0480

 

IMG_0484

 

 

 

IMG_0483

 

 

IMG_0496

 

IMG_0380

 

 

IMG_0472

 

                                                                    The End!

IMG_0473

20 comments :

Reddunappy said...

Looks like a great time! I wish they would have these in my area, I would love to do some trail obsticle competitions, I have seen the Extreme trail challange advertised which is an all indoor trail course, and what a course! I would love to go watch but it is in Eugene Oregon about 4-5 hours away from us.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Great photos! it looks like a wonderful event

AareneX said...

Looks like it was a terrific day!

(and I love seeing all those SMART cowboy-types wearing helmets. I may smile all day from the joy of that).

Gail said...

Very interesting and looked like a lot of fun.

I missed pictures of you and Apache.

Anonymous said...

Love the photos - horses and riders both seem to be having fun!

Lori Skoog said...

I would love to have participated in this event. The facility looks spectacular and all the horses looked well loved and cared for. So sweet.

Beth said...

Wow you have some really neat things going on in your neck of the woods.

lisa said...

Nice, thanks for sharing, always love to see how others do things with their horses!

jane augenstein said...

Wow, great photos! What a wonderful time everyone was having. I too wish that they had things like that close to here. I think I will talk to one of the riding clubs that has horse shows at the fairgrounds. The grounds are only 18 miles from me and maybe they would do something like this, it sure would be fun!!
Thanks for the great post!!!!
hugs....
Jane and Gilly

Unknown said...

Is that dirt and poop flying with that bay gelding jumping?

Looks like so much fun. I know any of ours could have done those obstacles, I love doing that kind of stuff. Funny enough though Indigo never used to like walking OVER bridges like that made of wood, but she would back over them. She really trusts me. Theres a HUGE platform of dirt at least 7 feet high that is flat on the top back the lane from the turbines. She walked up it without even a second thought for me. She is like the hill master. You point her and she goes.

Alison said...

Lovely photos; so many beautiful horses! What kind of horse is that white one in the picture doing the cones? It looks like a very useful experience, lots of folks getting to try lots of different things.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

You take such wonderful photos. I wish we had events like this close to where I am.

small farm girl said...

Great pictures! You guys looked like you had fun.

Vaquerogirl said...

Nice arena and looks like everyone was having a great time!
I think I'll try to organize something like that here in the Bay Area!

Jeni said...

What great fun. Lisa I love the photo's you took!

I think I'll suggest this as an event at the barn I board at as it is a "trail riding" barn with walk on access to 300 acres of equine trails.

Shirley said...

Some fine photos there Lisa. I liked the guy with the beard and his horse, he seems to have a big grin alot. Maybe the next clinic will be done from the Apache-cam?

Dan and Betty said...

Great pictures. Yep, we would have been there if we weren't in Hawaii -- not a tough choice.

Dan

Patrinas Pencil said...

Loved the "end shot" :)

Patrina <")>><

allhorsestuff said...

Oh that was so cool to see it all from your perspective...my legs are twitching to do stuff like that...really cool.
AND can't wait to see you and your mare doing that..you will rock, she and you will be so good at that!
Kac

CTG Ponies said...

Looks like a lot of fun!!!