A holiday weekend full of horse back riding…..would could be better than that?
Colleen’s husband and Grandson stopped by on Saturday with their horse trailer to pick up my Apache and haul her down to Cedar Hill Farm for the weekend. Before they arrived I led my daughter, Jen around on Apache for about 15 minutes, so she could have a chance to ride, too. Apache loads pretty good in our 2 horse straight-load horse trailer, but is even easier in their three horse slant-load trailer. I stepped up inside and she followed me right in, easey peasey and I secured the divider, and they were on their way.
It’s funny how I feel a little bit sad each time she leaves here, even though I know I’ll see her in a few hours or the next day.
This afternoon I drove down with all my tack and an apple and carrots for my girl.
She was in her pen when I arrived and I was happy that she looked up and walked my way when I called her.
“Oh thanks Mom! You remembered my treats today. I’m so happy to see you, too!”
Then it was time to get Apache groomed and tacked up. I did have some struggles mounting from the ground this time as I had to clear my rear saddle bag that I brought along so I could bring more water for the ride,so I wouldn’t get dehydrated like I did last time. I had my foot in the stirrup and Apache just started walking before I could get my leg up and over. Colleen gave me a little help by holding the lead rope and the stirrup on the other side and I was able to get up on my next try.
We mostly followed the previous ACTHA ride’s trail, so Apache and I were able to ride over a few of the obstacles again, like the telephone poles, and Donner’s Pass and the bridge again. Apache was perfect and very willing on all of the obstacles, and only knocked her hoof on one of the telephone poles as we went over. She is such a good girl!
There were only 4 of us riding today, as Colleen had to stay back at the stables for the Horse Rescue Adopt-a-Thon, but we were able to enjoy the trails for over 2 hours on a beautiful sunny day!
Christine was leading most of the way on her gaited Tennessee Walker gelding, and he moves very fast, so I wasn’t able to get a photo of her as they were always on the move. Apache and I did get to lead for a little while, and even down a very rocky steep hill, too. Christine wanted to keep her gelding behind Apache and I to slow him down a little and teach him some patience. When I saw the rocky hill, I at first wanted to have someone else go first, but I knew Apache would do well and I just trusted her, and she didn’t disappoint. I love my smart mare.
I did manage to get a photo of Loeta (the part owner of Rosie) on her Paso Fino gelding Profie. She rides on an Abetta saddle like me.
And Lynette on her Arabian mare, Tango. She uses a Dr. Cook’s Bitless Bridle on her mare, like I plan to do with Apache soon, too.
And me riding my Apache mare!
The two extra-large water bottles on my rear saddle bag were much appreciated as I drank all the water in my horn bag water bottle in the first 30 minutes. They have tubes inside that you freeze that keep the water nice and cold, too. It was a hot sunny day in the upper 80’s and lots of water was essential.
And I love my my new Western fringe half-chaps, too. They got a full work out and were tough, but also very comfortable, like a second skin. I was worried that they might get too hot being that they’re suede leather and black, but my legs never did feel hot. I wore a pair of thin REI CoolMax socks as a liner with cotton socks over them, and my feet felt cool and comfortable, too. But I sure was grateful for my chaps. They protected my breeches very well. Check out all those scratches and scrapes!
And for safety, as well as fun, I wore my new Patriotic lycra helmet skin made by Sleazy Horse Wear.
Oooh! Sparkly!
I also ordered another special helmet skin in the Flames design for my next ACTHA ride as the theme is Chile Peppers. Hot, Hot, Hot! I’ll probably order more of these skins as it’s so fun to be able to switch out different designs and colors and not just wear a boring white helmet all the time. Isn’t it cute?
Tomorrow I head down to Cedar Hill Farm to ride again. We’re also going to have a little BBQ with hamburgers and hot dogs to celebrate the holiday.
I hope everyone is enjoying a Happy Memorial Day…..and not forgetting those who have fought and died for our freedoms, and the many who are still sacrificing their lives for our country.
18 comments :
Sounds like a lovely day
Look a.,
So good to see you enjoying yourself and the great rides you are going on..doesn't it make the snow seem like along time ago?!
Jan :)
That sounds like so much fun. Haven't been up on Estes yet this weekend, but I'll be headed up to my parents' place tomorrow and intend to get some seat time. I think it'll be bareback tomorrow, as I suspect I'll have to drag my niece along and won't be able to move out like I want to.
Ah, it's so good to see you riding a horse you can feel confident about. Apache is just fantastic.
I imagine she'll need some "stand still" on mounting lessons. Every horse seems to test this. I had to retrain Lily on that, and even Cibolo is peeling on that one. We'll be working on it again.
Love the skins! How fun! And the chaps are very cool - I like the finge...
Wow...can you beleive that you are actually getting so many rdies in AND You never seem to have a a bad incident anymore...YIPEE for you! So glad you made the choice that has changed your life. It was a hard decision I know...bui just look at you now!!!
Looks like your doing good! you like helmet covers eh? I'll put this down under the pay it forward box. This box is gonna explode!
Sounds like so much fun. I'm very envious of your good weather!
You and Apache sure are getting active! What a sweet girl. Love the helmet cover and can't wait to see the flames. Enjoy.
Fun! Good company and horses, who could ask for a better weekend?
Great job, great horse, great rider and great fun. I could hear the leather.
I love seeing you out there having a great time with Apache. Just more confirmation you made a great choice!
And you just reminded me to go put my flag out--good job!
YYEEEHA GIRL!!
That was great..sounds heavenly too...that nice warm sunny stuff that has been eluding us in the NW! We have Perma-Rain thing going...booo!
But, wow..loved you talkin' to Apache mare in the Video! Glad you got those fringe H chaps! I heard you say, "Yea for Chaps..." then I knew you had some to protect yourself!
I have gotten lazy of late(Torn bushes have not grown up yet) and have been just wearing tall socks ...seems refreshing and light...but will be foolish later..darn, was liking less layers!
Of course, loved the festive helmet cover!
Very excellent memorial wkend ride!
Yes, I am thankful for my family men and extended family men and women (and all service folks!)for the service they provided for us to be free!
XO
Kacy
Good pictures, good ride, good day.
Thanks for sharing.
Dan
I love your chaps, I been looking for apair and cant seem to find ones that fit right, Im gonna lookfor cool fingey ones too.
Wow, that sure looks like fun! Again Apache is proving herself to be just the best mount for you!
I'm so jealous of your weekend--it STILL hasn't stopped raining here in the Swamp! (I went riding anyhow, of course, but I'd rather ride with YOU in the SUNSHINE!)
Great helmet cover. It's a good thing when your helmet makes you smile.
Lisa, wow, sounds like soooo much fun you are having with your beautiful Apache! Loved the video with the saddle squeaking along! :-D and you talking to your mare, I can tell by the sound of your voice how much you love and trust her. What an amazing journey the two of you are on. I am thrilled beyond words for you to be back in the saddle and so confident now, YIPPEE!!!
Love the half chaps, I have two pairs, the English black ones. I also have some really neat Ariat breathable ones that go with western but since I only have an English saddle now I use either, depends on the day! LOL
The helmet cover is pretty cool too! You always have the neatest things! I am hoping that before the summer ends I can order a custom Australian stock saddle for me and Gilly. I sold my western saddle, REALLY wanting the Aussie!!!
Love your trails! I wanna come out and ride with ya!
XO
Jane and Gilly
I love reading and seeing your trail rides. I did not appreciate how boulder strewn the trails were and the prickly plants that are alongside. I must say Apache looks 100% better than when you first got her!
Janet xx
Post a Comment