(Warning! Long post. Grab refreshments and visit the potty first!)
This is Apache and I after our ride today. Together we enjoyed the best ride yet. Can I just start by saying, “I truly love my horse. I do. She’s the best!”
Today, my beautiful mare, Apache gave me the very best ride I have ever had on any horse. We had so much fun!
I’ll start at the beginning.
I’m embarrassed to admit that after reading Nuzzling Muzzles post on Sunday about a few bloggers experiencing recent horse-related injuries and how she wasn’t wanting to risk riding on a busy holiday weekend, I almost chickened out and didn’t ride. I’m glad I didn’t!
I drove down there, and all along the way, I noticed that there were folks riding their horses beside the road, through pastures, in arenas and over the hills. Everyone seemed to be out enjoying the gorgeous day and their wonderful horses. It was great to see!
After I arrived at Cedar Hill Farm, the first thing I was invited to enjoy was a little barbecue of hamburgers and hotdogs and all the fixin’s. I brought some silly patriotic hats with me as my kidlets thought it would be funny to get the adults to wear them. It really was!
Here are my friends, Colleen, Anna and Christine in all their glory (pun intended. heheh!)
Aren’t they good sports? They are also very special to me, too. These three ladies have been very instrumental supporting me with my horsemanship goals. I could not have done it without them. I love them for being the wonderful, helpful, dedicated, and fun-loving ladies they are.
After the good meal, we all headed over to the stables to groom and tack up our horses. Apache had a small crusty sore on her belly that the flies were gathering around, so I applied some pink Swat and then I rubbed some fly spray on her face and legs with a small towel. I was a little surprised at how calm she was. She even seemed relieved that I was putting fly repellant on her. I also had to make sure her rear cinch was a little loose, because I didn’t want it rubbing anywhere near that crusty sore, in case it would irritate her.
There were 8 of us riding today. Well actually there were supposed to be 9 of us, but one gal worried that her horse was acting too nervous and spirited and decided not to ride. I don’t blame her, though. A fierce wind had kicked up and was sending whirling, spinning dust devils across the hilltop where the stables are located. All the horses were a little bit wide-eyed, but most of that wind subsided after we started riding, although it did get gusty at times. The breezes were actually quite welcome because it was a very hot, sunny day, into the low 90’s.
We started off following the original previous ACTHA trail ride route, but then we traveled down and up and over a bunch of new routes I’d never been on yet. I had a blast!
We rode for a little over 2 hours, but we rode a lot farther than we usually ride. Yesterday’s ride was about 7 miles while today’s was between 8-10 miles. It went by much faster though, because………………….
……….we trotted and cantered most of the way!!!!!!
Whoohoo!
Apache wowed me this time, because she gave me what I asked for without having to use my heels on her each time. A squeeze and a couple clucks and she moved smoothly into a trot. And a kiss and squeeze and she moved up into a canter, which felt surprisingly like being on a rocking chair. I loved it!
It was my first time cantering on Apache and surprisingly I wasn’t scared at all. It was exhilarating! And I do believe that Apache had just as much fun as I did, too.
I’m sure the energy of the other riders and horses helped, because everyone was having fun trotting and cantering down the trails together. But I also believe…and felt something…change between Apache and I. It’s as if she believed I knew what I was doing and felt comfortable and at ease…and most importantly she trusted me. That was huge!
At times, I felt like she would be asking me if we could trot or canter. I could feel her energy, and I would invite her to move into a trot or canter and it was like we were as one…as corny as that sounds. I know
I tried to post the trot a few times, but my stirrups were just a little too long. With my Abetta saddle’s Acu-Suede seat and the suede-like seat, inner legs and knees of my full-seat breeches….along with my suede chaps, my butt was like velcro! haha! I felt very secure, while still being able to move along with my horse, too.
And the few times where I did feel a little unbalanced, Apache must have felt it, too, because she immediately slowed down to a walk and/or, even stopped. I felt like she was taking good care of me all along.
I never felt that way when Baby Doll trotted. My saddle was too slippery and too big, and she always pinned her ears before going into a trot like she was pissed and then it was like she was preparing to jump a log. Her trot felt like a jackhammer. My neck and back would ache the next day, so I avoided trotting her.
Apache is nothing like Baby Doll. She‘s so much better!
We probably had to do just little more trotting and cantering than maybe a few of the other riders had to do, because Apache and I both like to hang out at the back of the group a lot. It’s peaceful back there with no other horses nibbling your butt or snorting down your neck. But it meant that we had to catch up quite often to the rest of the group. And that meant trotting and cantering. I even wonder if Apache liked hanging back for that same reason.
I know this will probably sound silly, but the first time Apache moved into a trot today without me having to use my heels, I was so happy and I rubbed Apache’s neck and told her what a good girl she was. I’ve learned that with Apache, she thrives on positive encouragement.
The more I give it, the more she gives me back.
She also loves treats on the trail when she’s done something special, too. I love how after she’s crossed an obstacle, she’ll turn her head to look at me and touch my leg with her nose. If she forgets to do that, I’ll usually reach down and gently tap her on the neck and she’ll turn around and politely take her cookie from my hand. She’s such a sweet girl, my Apache.
You’re also probably going to think I’m nutty when I tell you that I think my mare loves wide-open beautiful views…just like I do. I swear, whenever we come to an opening in the trees that affords us a spread out view, she stops and turns around and looks at me, and then turns back around to take it all in. She’s so funny. I love that about her!
Which is another reason we kept getting far behind the other riders, too.
And then I’d have to ask her to trot and then canter, as you’ll see in this video. I wish I could have video-taped us cantering, but when she moved up into a canter, my finger slipped onto the stop button and I didn’t try to turn it back on again because I was worried that I might drop my camera.
It’s interesting. The more I work with Apache and the more I ride her, the more I feel as if little doors are opening between us…..
I know I need to stop comparing Apache to Baby Doll, because Apache is so very different, but in some ways it has been helpful for me to realize how lucky and blessed I am to have this wonderful horse. Sometimes by comparing my two horses, it is easier for me to appreciate what I have now.
Maybe that’s one of the benefits of going through all of my injuries last year and long road towards healing with no riding at all? I do know that I’ll never take Apache for granted. That’s for sure.
It took me almost a year before I felt a connection with Baby Doll….on the ground, but never in the saddle. But with Apache, I’ve only owned her for a few months and I not only feel a bond with her on the ground, but in the saddle, too.
She’s my heart horse.
Thank you Apache,
For giving me the best ride of my life today!
34 comments :
Super. That's so great.
Dan
Yippee, you have found your soul mate.
Not only does she trust you but you are beginning to trust her and that is fantastic.
Sounds like a great ride! I love it when I feel that connection with Estes.
I feel I should caution you about trotting/cantering up behind other horses though. If there's a spooky horse or rider in the lead group, it can lead to a wreck. We've had that happen a couple of times at the livery where a rider trotted to catch up and another horse thought that meant there was trouble and there was a heck of a wreck. If the horses you are riding with know you and Apache you should not have a problem though.
Wish Estes and I could have ridden with you - it looks beautiful.
Aww thats so wonderful! Make sure your back cinch is snug, but not tight and that it is also secured to your front cinch. A loose back cinch can get caught on things and totally defeats the purpose of a back cinch if loose. It's supposed to keep the back of your saddle from popping up. Make sure it's got an attachment to the front cinch. I remember being about 10 and watching in horror as my friends horse bucked him off like a bronco as the back cinch slipped back in a canter and got caught around his belly near his stifle and sent the normally bombproof horse (kind of like apache only a papered, chestnut morgan) into a total tailspin. Never did it again, he removed the back cinch.
Thanks Sydney. Yes, I've heard of that happening to other riders before, which is why I always keep the rear cinch clipped into the front cinch with the leathers. I never disconnect it, ever. That way that wreck won't ever happen.
I only had the rear cinch a bit loose on Apache because I didn't want it to rub that crusty sore spot, which would have been right under the rear cinch.
Typically I tighten the rear cinch so fits snugly on her belly, though.
~Lisa
Thanks GunDiva,
Yes, I know that could be a problem in some groups of horses. But it wasn't an issue with our group today, as Apache and I were always trotting and cantering to catch up to the other trotting and cantering horses in our group.
We were all trotting and cantering.
Thanks for your concerns, though.
~Lisa
no doubt Lisa, you hit the jackpot with Apache.
Ah, your horse, your horse.
I'm so thrilled for you!
You two have arrived!
That is just the BESTTTT!
Liss, you are amazingly more confident with this hand -picked- for- you- by- God- mare! I was watching her little head bob and ears looking to the path ahead, in your video..and she is very even and assured with you!
I am glad too that you went...I mean, it is not like you were going to run into weirdness on that acreage!
Sometimes I wonder what I will find out there, when I go...but so far the trail angles have secured my rides!
Pure JOY, you an your mare!
XO
Kac
Lisa, I am so happy for you! And still jealous that you are out trailriding! LOL it is still wet and muddy here, I cant even think about how bad the trails are! we need a few weeks of dry weather before our trails dry out! At least where I usually go.
It is so good to see you happy with Apache she is a gem!
I love this post!! I know exactly how you feel. We had a similar ride this weekend! Your pony is lovely and it's always such an awesome feeling to have that bond!! You go Girl!!!!
You guys look very happy together - now you're doing what it's all about - having fun!
Yeah!!! That is so great! I'm very happy to hear that you and Apache are having such great adventures together! Here's to many more!!!!
Also nice about those ladies you mentioned - having someone experienced to help out is a wondeful thing.
I'm so glad you had a great riding weekend, even more thrilled that you had THAT ride!!!!
The pictures and videos of these last two posts show exactly what horse riding should be.. smiles and relaxing bonding with both horse and humans!
Have a great week Lisa!
~Jeni
No matter how many horses we have had, there are always one or two who stand out. As you said, Apache is your heart horse. You are very lucky, and I am so glad that you have found her.
What a great ride! What a difference a year and a half and a new horse makes!
Have you heard anything back from Baby Doll's new owners? Is she working out for them as well as Apache is working out for you?
[p.s. your stirrups do look a bit long, like you'd always be reaching for them. Shorter would give you a little more security, as long as you don't depend on them for your whole balance.]
I'm glad my post didn't influence you to stay at home. There's still a big difference between Nevada and New Mexico, I suspect. Nevada is just getting so overcrowded with the number of people who want to get out of California for various reasons. We have a beautiful park where I used to take the kids every week, and now gangs have taken it over and a couple of men have been stabbed in separate incidents this past month. My neighborhood and the surrounding land just aren't safe anymore. We've also had to lock everything up including the horse trailer and closing our garage at night, because there have been a rash of burglaries. We just keep getting more and more scuz bags moving into the area. Driving is scary with all the drunks and people on meth. I just don't like going out much when I know others will be out raising hell. The trails you ride on seem very remote and safe.
Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!
It's wonderful to hear your stories, Lisa.
Apache is LOVELY! You don't sound corny or silly in explaining the way you feel. I think a lot of riders know exactly what you're talking about, that moment where it's almost like ESP between you and the horse. I love that feeling.
Not only does she trust you, you trust her! I am so happy for you, Lisa and can so relate to everything you have gone thru: fear, regret, letting go, trying again and now success!
so glad everything went well for you...looks like you have a match...
This just gets better and better! I do think you and Apache were made for each other.
CANTERING!!! Wow, that is great! I haven't cantered much since I got dumped last year, thought about it today, since the field is cut now and could have. Just didn't feel quite like he was going to be good, he was a little buggery today. DID NOT want to give to pressure, brat.
Awwww, but back to the cantering, doesn't it just feel like you are flying.....such a thrill!!!
Lisa, I am so happy for you! You are having the time of your life and so many, many more good rides ahead!
BIG HUGS TO YOU..... :-D
Jane and Gilly
It's so nice to see the two of you getting along so well with each other...and you having the time of your life! So very proud of both of you!
About the mustang thing...It's always possible that she's a cross or maybe came from an area that the BLM doesn't have jurisdiction, which means they are not processed through the BLM and receive the freeze brand on their neck. Mustangs come in so many different sizes and shapes, that it's anybody's guess.
Hurray for you two
So pleased for you Lisa! We live up on a hill in Scotland and my boy Finn likes nothing better when we get to a new view than to have a good look around him! We often stop for a few seconds to take in the scenery - he is much more relaxed when we do and I enjoy it too.
Janet xx
I loved reading about your ride and the confidence that has grown between you and Apache. I wish I had been on that ride with one of my guys!
May you have many, many more glorious rides!
Wow...Lisa...I think you are ready to ride with me now!!! How fun...and the canter looked very controled and smooth. I was impressed that even though Apaches was "catching up" she kept at a nice smooth pace with no fast loping as some horses do when they are behind.
Glad you are with a group a great friends that inspire and encourgae you!
Wonderful! I'm so glad you have found your connection with Apache. She's a very special horse.
Wow! That was quite a ride for you! I get what you are saying. I was so untrusting of the horse that injured me and expected that distrust would transfer to every horse I rode and that I would never trust myself again either. But it was completely different riding the two horses I have now. I wasn't afraid because even thought the one misbehaved, there wasn't the electricity you feel when you are on a blow up kind of horse. It's all in the feeling. Trust your gut.
I am so happy for you Lisa!! That is so great that you had the best ride on her!! She is your heart horse, and I am so happy that you found her!
Apache is so cute in the video, she has her ears forward, looks around, doesn't seem worried about the other horses at all! Perfect!
Im so happy for you, it has been a long haul but I knew you would get back into that happy place. To love your horse, to ride with your friends and to enjoy life.
xoxoxoxo
my friend :)
You go girl! You continue to be my inspiration!
that's awesome!
Apache is like Jose - loves to look at the scenery. And not just look, he studies everything. And I'm sure he appreciates it!
- The Equestrian Vagabond
Post a Comment