Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ok, I’m weird…and that’s ok.

 

IMG_1072

I’ve always known I’m different than most folks. I’m one of the ‘march by the beat of my own drum’ kind of people. When I’m in the right company (read: as wacky as me), I’ve been told that I’ve got a crazy wicked sense of humor. It’s definitely twisted, that’s for sure. A lot of folks just don’t get me and probably think I’m weird….and that’s just fine with me. Peer Pressure doesn’t matter to me anymore.

I’m free to be me.

IMG_1093 

Maybe that’s why I’ve always like camels and llamas. Everyone thinks they’re weird, and I think they’re more lovely than a plot covered in roses. Actually I think llama breath smells better than roses.

See? I’m weird.

IMG_1075

Goats are weird, too. Lots of people like them, though. But you have to admit, goats do look sort of weird with their horizontal elliptical eyes.

I love my 3 goats and their funky eyes. They remind me of dogs and often want to climb up into my lap for a cuddle.

Luna, my angora doe was my first goat. I rescued her 2 years ago from a neglectful home, where she was kept in a 6 foot muddy pen with nothing but a few brown alfalfa crumbs thrown in for her to eat. She was supposed to eat weeds, but there weren’t many weeds on the overgrazed dry lot she was let out on a few times a week, tied to a horse as a sort of training for the horse. Ever heard of that before? Not me, until I adopted my Luna.

I almost didn’t take her home. She was so matted and had never been sheared in the two years her previous owner had her. She still had the green paint on her rump, that was used by the auction to mark all the animals being sold in her group.

I usually shear her twice a year, but missed her shearing last Fall because of the snow that came with our early winter. She was way overdue last week, but my shearer guy won’t come over to shear just one animal. And I sold my sheep and my llamas only require shearing every other year.

IMG_1085

So I had to shear her myself, with my hand shears, or what some might call scissors. It took me almost 2 hours and I didn’t give her a close-cut because I wanted her to have all her skin intact.

It wasn’t pretty.

And I couldn’t keep any of her mohair fleece as it was so matted and full of VM. The birds love it, though, and I’ve seen them carrying it off to their nests. 

But I got ‘er done and Luna was perfectly patient for me the entire time. She even nuzzled and licked me whenever I got into her range while she was up on the stanchion table.

After I trimmed her hooves and put Luna back into her paddock, she began dancing around, head-butting and playing with her goat buddies, Mud Pie, the nigerian wether, and Latte, my mini-mancha doe. That was all the thanks I needed. Totally made my day.

IMG_1102        

But I’m still weird. I don’t care about keeping up with the Jones’s. It doesn’t matter what kind of car I drive. It only has to be useful and practical. That’s all I demand. I’m not into clothing style or brands. They only have to be comfie, fit well and not cost a lot.

And they should clean up well and be able to hold their own in the barn.

If you came into my house or my garage, you’d first notice that I don’t have a lot of stuff and don’t have collections. I despise dusting, so I don’t keep lots of dust collectors around. Any knick knacks I do have, must bring me huge joy every time I look at it, or it would have to go. I also don’t like clutter. It stresses me out. I will never be on that Hoarding TV show. Shopping doesn’t appeal to me at all. And I’m a firm believer that if something new comes in, then something old and unused must come out.

You could easily say that I’m not very sentimental about stuff either. I married my hubby 20 years ago, and even sold my wedding dress a year after my wedding, because I knew that if I had a daughter, she’d want to wear her own dress, and not my old fluffy, ruffled frock. I have tons of photos of my dress, and that’s enough for me.

IMG_1191 

I also wouldn’t want to hang onto to my wedding dress until I died and then my kidlets would be stuck with it, feeling guilty about getting rid of it.

See how practical I am?

I told you I was weird.

I also don’t intend to be buried. Besides being very expensive and a waste of space, how do I know anyone will visit me someday?

My Mother died when I was 8 years old. She was honored with a military service for her years in the Navy. And then she was buried in a cemetery in California, near LA.

I’ve only been to that cemetery one time in my 43 years of life. Crowds and driving in the city make me nervous, so I just don’t go.

As for me, I intend to be cremated and my remains scattered over my beloved Sandia Mountains. Back to the earth. My children and grandchildren can gaze up to these mountains and feel close to me, or they can drive up, take the tram, or go hiking over these mountains, to feel even closer to me.

I’m nothing if not practical, eh?

Or maybe I just have an aversion to being filled with formaldehyde, having my face painted for people to walk by my casket, staring at my lifeless body, while saying, “Oh….she looks so good” (Hey! I’m dead! I’m not supposed to look good!)

And weird. Yeh, I know.

And I’m ok with that.

By the way, I still have Sid the rooster. Anyone want him? I’ve offered him up for free on every message board around town. No one even wants to eat him.

So he sits incarcerated until I can figure out what to do with the evil creep.

IMG_1070

Sid Vicious looks weird, doesn’t he? Seems only fitting, don’t you think?

Ok…..I started writing this post with the intention of sharing a video that I stumbled upon. And then I got very side tracked. And talked way too much about myself. Ooops!

The video itself is totally weird because of the creepy performers, but it made me laugh. The guy at the end made me laugh right out loud. I don’t do that very often for stuff on TV and videos, so I thought I would share it would you.

Let me know what you think.



28 comments :

Deb said...

good for you Lisa....so proud you are who you are...I really enjoy visiting....

Mrs. Mom said...

I didn't watch the vid, (storm coming in-- looks like a bad one,) but I had to say...

AMEN!!!

Girl, I love the way you think! ;)

I'll take Sid if you want Porch Cat to live in your barn...hehehehe :)

Dan and Betty said...

Terribly weird -- the video, not you. You're just you and that's OK.

Dan

Louise said...

I watched America's Got Talent when that was on and I have to admit that it made me go "blech." But, I admire the way you have found your own path to travel, and are having so much fund traveling it. Keep on, keep on.

clairz said...

Loved your whole post, Lisa. I used to have an angora goat.

But I COULD NOT finish watching the video. Is it over?

Beth said...

I feel the same way about a lot of thing. I am totally grossed out about being buried in the ground "preserved". Just something not natural about it.

I get the goat thing too, best outside dogs I have ever had. Besides I really get in to pets that give me food (need to make some goat's milk ice cream soon!)

I feel more like a farm/ country girl than an "Equestrian." I don't get those city living horse people at all.

I love the way Sid looks, too bad he really turned out to be vicious!

I was proud when I looked at the survey in Horse Illustrated and on the question of what breed(s) do you own, I own none of them. LOL . . . love my off breeds!

You keep marching to your own rhythm!

Gail said...

You are not weird, you are my kind of people. Honest, upfront, friendly, caring, and loves animals.

I did watch the video and the guy behind the curtain was the best. I am glad I did not pay money to see this performance.

We all have our tastes in life styles, friends, animals, etc.
Just think how boring it would be if we were all the same!

As for me, I would love to take a ride with you sometimes, I could learn alot from you.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

You and I would get along well!

Alison said...

You're weird? I'm weird, too. (Reminds me of an Emily Dickinson poem!)

Better weird than vicious, eh?

GunDiva said...

I'm with you on the burial thing. I really think that just it's just downright creepy to go visit a grave, as my grandmother does a couple of times a year. I understand it's a respect thing, and I also know that as her grand daughter, I'll be expected to go a'visitin'. Me? Cremate me and spread me all over my Rocky Mountains.

LV said...

There is nothing weird about you. You just have your own ideas and desires and nothing wrong with that. The world is full of people that feel like you. Enjoy each day and to heck with what others think.

Jeni said...

Wait... You need to give Sid to NuzzMuzz to keep her nasty nosey neighbors away!

Jeni said...

Oh My Gosh... I believe you may be my twin!! LOL You are so not "weird"... you are uniquely You!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I totally agree with many of those philosophies. I can't stand knick-knacks, but people keep giving them to me as gifts, so I feel like I have to display them. We have a lot of clutter, as you know. With the exception of the quilting supplies and the horse stuff, it's not me doing it. I'm not the hoarder, I swear! If it weren't for Monty, we'd have a clear path through each room in the house, though. Hee hee.

Farmer Jen said...

Good post.

jane augenstein said...

LOL, good post Lisa!!! No, you aren't weird, good points all, I agree.
Keep on being you, you rock!!!
hugs....
Jane and the bad Gilly

Pinzgauer said...

Ha, you're not weird... or maybe we're all weird! =)

I'm with you on the lack of attachment to "stuff" though. Although, I do still have my first horse's first halter. (It gets used though, so does that count?)

I'd take that rooster in a heartbeat if he was closer. He's just lovely, and might be mean enough to deal with my chicken loving dogs.

Reddunappy said...

I need to de-knick-knack (((sigh))) We had to buy a new fridge, the old one quit. Problem was we has to rearange the kitchen, I wish we could has rennovated the kitchen, but I didnt buy that lottery ticket LOL Anyway, I have a bunch of crap, all over the place now, and now I have to find something to do with it.(((sigh again))) LOL We need to have a really big garage sale.

Your not wierd LOL not any more than the rest of us LOL

Patrinas Pencil said...

I keep coming back because I like you - just the way you are.

Hugs, Patrina <")>><

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Not weird, just practical sensible and frankly ,my kind of people! And by the way a stunning bride!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nope if you are weird then so am I..I like most animals better than people. I am with you on the Goats..I had one once, I still miss the little bugger..and I have requested to be cremated..none of that "Oh she looks so good" or "She musta really suffered at the end, but looks so peaceful now."
Maybe we are both weird!! :)

mrscravitz said...

If You are weird then I am weird. LOVE WEIRD!

mrscravitz said...

If You are weird then I am weird. LOVE WEIRD!

small farm girl said...

I'm all for dancing to the beat of a different drum, but I'm just not into hurting myself. lol. And yes I seen thoses guys on t.v. I thought that they were.......weird. hehehehe

Desert Rose said...

OOOPS...think I must be one of the few here that LOVES MT STUFF!!!
Hubby hates my pillows and clutter but puts up with it...most of the time1 I do know that my STUFF sometimes takes too much of my time and I am working on that...sort of!
My life is kind of like SYBIL...a lot of personalities needed in my life and have lots of paraphonellia to go with each!!!
YOU ARE NOT WEIRD!

Ed said...

Great post, I think I'm cut from the same mold, and not the green stuff...;-))

CTG Ponies said...

We can be practical/weird together! I also don't care about what kind of car I drive, I buy most of my clothes from resale shops and thrift stores. I don't worry about material things. And I want to be cremated and my ashes spread in the forrest by horseback.

Renee (aka Army Wife) said...

You've never struck me as weird. And cremation isn't weird. It's very practical!

Here's weird for you...an in-law of mine passed recently and wanted a Viking funeral. (She was not Nordic.)You know, the whole flaming raft thing? Unfortunately it's illegal, so she was cremated instead. We're sending her ashes down the river on a very small flaming raft that is unlikely to attract the attention of the law.

My family's got weird out the yin-yang, so nothing you do or say is likely to scare me!