If you read my last post you know I was griping about the speed demon motorists racing down the county road beside our neighborhood.
Well today I got even, thanks to Mother Nature.
(These photos I took from my bedroom balcony using my camera’s zoom)
We had a doozy of a summer monsoon today. The biggest monsoon storm we’ve had since living here the past 3 years. It caused flash flooding of roads,
(The main road through our neighborhood, taken from my bedroom balcony)
Flooded arenas, yards and fields,
(Photo of our chicken coop beside our house)
Flooded our culverts,
(See that silvery thing, almost in the center of the picture. It’s sticking up through the water. That’s the top piece of metal pipe that carries overflow water out of our neighborhood)
Caused fast flowing rivers to rush down our hills,
(This is our little dirt road that goes up to our barn)
And lasted for over two hours.
This isn’t typical for most New Mexico summer storms. They usually only last 20 minutes to an hour and then move on, leaving behind cooler temperatures, fresh sage scented air, and sunny skies.
This was truly a gully washer!
I love watching storms. It can be so thrilling with all the thunder, lightning and pounding rain. But our land, plants and animals would much rather have a slow, calm, and steady rain. When the rain falls too hard and fast, the earth can't even soak it up. It just runs off as quick as it falls.
(Apache and Bella insisted on standing out in the rain under a tree the entire time. My neighbor friend, Val’s horses were much smarter and ran into her barn to escape the pelting rain. The mailbox is part of my CTR Obstacle Course.)
This type of powerful rain washes away the soil.
Filling culverts, rivers and ponds full of sediment.
(Our Pond…..poor fish almost got washed away. Photo was taken from my bedroom balcony. The metal is for shade. Yes, the weeds have kind of taken over this summer. It’s difficult to keep up with ‘em)
Small animals and snakes are washed out or drowned inside their homes when water gushes into their holes.
(This was taken from the loft balcony. The photo is of our little grassy backyard where I sometimes hand-graze Apache)
I really have a hard time going to the barn after a heavy monsoon storm like this, too. Our steep hill can be treacherous slipping and sliding in the greasy, slimy clay mix soil.
I can use my trekking poles to help, but I’m considering buying some of those spiked crampons that ice climbing mountaineers use. The spikes can be strapped to your shoes to help give you better grip through slippery ice as well as mud.
(My feet sloshing around in a flooded area beside our house. That’s mud splattered on my legs, not hair. lol!)
Anyway, my kidlets and I were quite entertained to see how well the flooded county road slowed down even the speediest drivers. Several times we’d see a driver barreling down the road, and have to come to a complete stop as he eyed the water covered road ahead of him.
A flooded road makes a fine natural speed bump, don’t you agree?
20 comments :
We got crazy rain too! I was in the basement of our local church making horse treats for 4-H I looked out the window just in time to see lightning hit one of the metal pieces on the power pole and then a torrential downpour start only to see a river float by the basement window and down the driveway with a random beach ball in it LOL! Where on earth did that come from?
Crampons would be overkill for walking up the hill in the mud. However, there is a neat product called Stabil-icers that I bought from LL Bean that would be perfect for that. Another product is called Yak Trax. If you can't find them where you are, email me off my blog and I'll send you some.
You have my sympathies. I TOTALLY understand the mud! I just moved from that and I don't miss it one iota! Hope it all dries up soon!
Looks like a frog strangler!! Those rains can teach you a thing or three about the power of water.
Horses are funny about weather. I wonder why they avoid the barn though. Flies and now this? Hmm.
We had a huge storm here last night , rain hail, thunder and lightening. soaked everything. I hear you on the footing, we have soil here that when its wet you almost surf!
That's some heavy flooding. I wouldn't attempt to drive through that. Our only flood is the flood of Californians clogging our roads. Every day my husband and son come home with stories about how they nearly got into an accident because everyone is driving so crazy. Someone cut off my husband today and kicked up a piece of rubber tire into his grill and then it almost took out his side view mirror. We've only had that Cadillac one year and it's already so banged up from other drivers' stupidity.
Here in New York, we had heavy rain, also. And, it was combined with ever rising humidity. I am very thankful that I'm on sand, so even the heaviest rains sink in rather than wash things away. Of course, no nice natural "speed bumps" for us, because of that.
it's a shame it take a monsoon to slow them down....
Oh yah, that sure is a nice speed bump! We had some awful rains yesterday also. We sure needed the rain though.
Yep, that's some proper rainfall, that is! Pretty soon your chickens will have webbed feet...
well you got to like that! I was so sad when Rojo was killed last year, other people just dont care much about anything but themselves and the big hurry they are in.
Only in New Mexico do we get so excited about puddles, LOL! Of course, you know my storm story, still no hot water or cooking here. But, we know, it will all calm down to perfect, slow, soaking rains eventually. Right?
Unfortunately, except for a few short showers, we haven't had any rain. The showers keep going around us.
Dan
Wow, that's a LOT of rain!!! They keep calling for rain here and flash floods but so far we haven't gotten any. It' hot, hot, hot and the flies are bad, bad, bad!!! Again tomorrow calling for rain and cooler weather, hoping!!!
Yea, that river across the road should slow down those crazy drivers! Every once in awhile we get some crazy speeders here too....dumb a** need to slow down before someone gets hurt.
Can you make your own speed bumps for the road??? LOL
hugs...
Jane
That's a lot of rain! I love storms like that though (as long as they don't last days).
Wow...it doesn't look like people even slow down at all to go through that water! I am sure that they do/did, but dang!!!
In regards to your last post, I wonder if the new horses old home is in the direction that he looks and paces? Or maybe he smells an old friend across the way?
Wouldn't it be fun to get on him and let him lead/take you where he wants to go?
Oh, and I think that you should definitely move to Idaho...lol!!! Then I can come see you. : )
Wow thats a lot of rain! Looks like they slowed down a little, but unfortunatly im sure it wont be for long, maybe you should get a permanent water puddle there, lol.
Wow, that's a bunch of water! We had a lot here too. In fact there was a few deaths due to flash flooding. We had 7 inches in just a few hours. I like the storms too but, come on already. lol
We've had some crazy storms here too. Hope you stay dry and safe.
Now that's a gully washer!! I'm sure it'll green up a lot of grasses for grazing, but it looked to have done a lot of damage too.
BTW...love the header shot. Very cool!
Post a Comment