Thursday, July 22, 2010

Honking at a Tiger in a Cage ~ I’ve had Enough!

 

Beware! This is a ranting and complaining post, which is rare coming from me. But sometimes you just got to let it all out. Something’s got to give.

IMG_0593

~~~~~~~~~~

My neighbor, D, the same neighbor who owned handsome Rojo, the horse that was killed last summer when his leg was broken, now owns 3 geldings. D usually boards his horses down in the valley so he can do roping events, or he leases pasture for them up here in the mountains.  Sometimes he keeps them in his backyard, which is right beside a busy county road. Over the past couple years I’ve taken many photos of D’s horses because I have a clear view of them from my bedroom window and bed. (with a pretty good zoom)

IMG_0844

When I was healing up from my injuries last year, D’s previous two horses, Rojo and Gandalf (my name for the grey horse) played a large part in my recovery.

IMG_3791

While I was stuck in bed, seeing them running and playing together, lifted my spirits.

IMG_0606

Those two had a special bond that was beautiful to see. It broke my heart when D sold off Gandalf and not long afterwards, brought in the younger grey gelding he owns now. The night he brought that one home was the night beautiful Rojo died.

IMG_1564

A peculiar thing happened after he brought in another new horse, not long after he bought the younger grey gelding. This new horse seemed obsessed with something across the road from his pasture. He paced for hours all day and night, like a tiger in a cage, along the fence-line beside the busy county road.

He’ll forgo eating and drinking just to pace back and forth. Nothing persuades him to stop pacing, not even semi-trucks, motorcycles, his pasture mates playing, or someone stopping by with a treat and a scratch. He just keeps pacing all day long.

IMG_0604 

Sometimes he’ll stop and gaze out across the road.

IMG_7679

I’m not sure what he sees. Does he see Rojo’s ghost running across those fields?

IMG_7684

The majestic Rojo was traqically killed just across the road from his pasture. I remember when he would sometimes gaze out across the road to the field beyond, too. What did Rojo see?

IMG_0601

No one lives over there and no one pastures any livestock there either. It’s just a big empty field, of about 70 acres.

IMG_7677

Anyway, it’s been a year now, and this poor horse is still pacing like a caged tiger, and still obsessed with whatever he sees, or senses, across the road in the field beyond.

IMG_7682

I’m glad this gelding has never tried to jump his short barbed wire fence, because over the past year, our county road has just gotten busier with more big trucks, and lots of drivers who act like impatient speed demons, driving way too fast for a road as hilly as ours are.

We used to see lots of bicyclists and horse back riders along the roadway and I always enjoyed seeing them ride past.

IMG_7444

But the number of equestrians and bikers have dwindled considerably over the past year.

IMG_7448

It’s just too dangerous for people and animals to exercise along this road anymore.

IMG_7449

Just last week, I had the extreme terror of driving up over the top of a hill about a 1/2 mile from our house, and meeting another vehicle head-on….in my lane, as he was trying to pass another car in the opposite lane. I had my 3 kidlets in the car and I was so shook up……and pissed off! I slammed on my horn and yelled out my window, at that idiot that could have killed us! If it had not been for the driver in the opposite lane, seeing the imminent danger, and slowing down to a crawl to let the guy back over. Don’t people know you never pass another vehicle in a no passing zone….and never, never, EVER on a steep hill which has dangerous blind spots? Gah!

IMG_0619

It’s sad really, how busy our road has gotten. All day long I can hear the loud, hammering sound of semi-trucks and dump trucks slowing down and then revving their engines as they go up and down our hills past our house.

IMG_0195

It used to be so quiet up here. Now I feel as if I live in the city near a construction zone.

IMG_0197

And why is everyone in a hurry? If you want to work in the city, but live in the country, then leave your house with plenty of time to get to work on time. And when you come home, why not relax and decompress while enjoying the scenery during your drive home? Why be in such a hurry, while putting other people and animals in danger?

If folks want a faster commute, then they should move back to the city. Sheesh!

Anyway, something else very peculiar…and annoying, too, has been going on over the past few months. All these speed demons, and all these big trucks have started honking at D’s horses, especially when D’s horse is pacing.

I’m not exactly sure why. Maybe the idiots think that if they honk real loud at his horses, that they will run away in terror? Maybe they believe they are keeping D’s horses away from the road, if they honk over and over as they drive past our houses? Maybe they think it’s fun to make a horse run away if the horn startles it? I don’t know. But the pumpkin heads that keep on honking all day long as they drive by are driving me nuts!

IMG_0634

Don’t they realize the only thing they are accomplishing is desensitizing D’s horses to the sounds of honking? Don’t they see that that his horses don’t care and aren’t phased by the honking?

IMG_4861

No. They don’t. Because they’re idiots. I’m a pretty laid back, nice person, and I can forgive a lot, but I just don’t get people sometimes. Don’t they care that people live in these houses along the road? Don’t they realize that their obnoxious noise is irritating those who moved to the country to get away from the noise pollution of the city?

IMG_4660

And then another gripe. A little over a week ago, I was sitting outside in my backyard just relaxing and enjoying my chickens as they free-ranged, when along comes a young woman walking, with her two dogs, off leash…I might add, right through the middle of our property. And worst of all, she was walking with the same dog that broke into our barn a couple years ago and tore apart our rabbit cage and murdered our pet rabbit.

And did I mention that both dogs were off leash…..and my chickens were free-ranging?!

I asked the lady why she was walking across our property, and she just said, “Oh, this is your property?” No apology. No asking me if it was ok if she cut across our land (which, by the way is actually owned by us and not owned by the bank. We paid off the land and house in full, a few years ago.).

I was very annoyed with this woman as she acted like she owned the world. I asked her if that one dog was hers, the one that killed our rabbit, and she asked, “Why?”. I told her, because it trespassed on our property, just like she was doing, and killed our pet rabbit. She claimed the dog wasn’t hers and then ignored me and kept walking across our property to the other side. gah! I was so teed off, I tell ya!

IMG_0578

I wouldn’t mind someone cutting across our land if they asked permission first and showed some respect. And if they did have permission I would expect them to either keep their dogs at home, or have them leashed, so my livestock, dogs and kids would be safe from harm.

I spoke to my hubby, Ranchman John, on the phone today and told him it’s time to consider moving in a few years. Farther away from the city, on large acreage, far away from neighbors, off of a dirt road, nowhere near a paved road.

(The next two photos taken in the Santa Fe National Forest during some recent letterboxing hikes)

IMG_2161

I want to be tucked away into the trees, with only the sound of birds, wildlife and nature to fill my ears.

IMG_2154

Or maybe I just need a vacation?



29 comments :

Alison said...

Aw, Lisa, I'm sorry. Those are all tough gripes--seriously annoying, totally unnecessary, and there's not a whole lot you can do about them! (Except maybe meet that woman with a shotgun under your arm next time.)

I've been wondering what's been going on in D's pasture...but I hate to remind you Rojo just out of the blue. I still can't believe what happened, and that D suffered absolutely no repercussions.

Here's hoping a short nap, long vacation or a full pan of brownies can lift your mood a little!

Gail said...

I suppose putting a sign up for the honking would not help. Maybe one that says, Honk, if you love Obama...that might slow the honking down.

I would say, start shopping!

Jeni said...

I'm so sorry Lisa... Most people are ignorant about the world around them. They don't look past their daily churn to realize there are people out there that do not find them entertaining in the very least.

I live in the city... I'm stuck here... I hate it. I work 25 miles one way from my city home and I'm still NOT out of the city. It takes me 40 minutes to get home in the traffic... While I hate the traffic jams I encounter every single day, twice a day, I do roll down my windows, turn up the radio, turn OFF my phone and decompress.

I agree that if more people did that it would be a much nicer place to live!

Enjoy that pan of brownies !!!!
~Jeni

Dan and Betty said...

Rave on, girl. You're right about the idiots who drive down your road. That's one of the nice things I like about Corrales is our slow speed limits and the fact that our police will ticket you for exceeding the limits. It helps some, but we have our share of idiots too.

Dan

Lisa said...

Hi Lisa. I have a horse who paces, too. Even my trainer can't figure out what is going on with her. When she is put in a paddock that she doesn't like, the pacing begins. My neighbour is letting me use the field directing across the street from my house for grazing. When I put my mare over there, the pacing began. She even managed to dig a hole about 8 inches deep from spinning in the corner to change direction. The field is only 50 feet or so from where she usually is-but she seems to be "property bound" instead of herd bound. Don't know what the answer is to solve it. My mare paced 11.5 hours one day! Now, she is free leased for the summer and I get a break!
Lisa

Leah Fry said...

Mr. Fry and I second and third your emotion. The longer we live out here, the further away from people we want to be.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

No trespassing signs and then prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

No, say it's not so. I wanted to move where you are someday, but it's already too late. I think we need to go on a cross country search for peace, quiet, solitude, and awesome riding trails, then we can each buy 50 acres and build our homes right smack next to each other -- Just kidding about that part -- build our homes right smack in the center of those 50 acres, but be close enough that we can ride our horses together. We can grow our own food so we don't have to drive into town to market. I'll buy your eggs. We can get a dairy cow. It'll be awesome.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Oh yeah, and I meant to mention that Lostine paced the fence line for years after I bought her, because she missed her mare buddies across the road so much. Now when I take her over there, she acts like she doesn't remember any of her old friends. I think horses have strong attachments that only fade when their memories fade.

AareneX said...

Me, I want to put up some "sleeping policemen" on our road (aka traffic bumps) to slow down the traffic and possibly also rattle some sense into the drivers.

It has been proposed, by person or persons unnamed, that somebody might just build a speed bump on our road, mysteriously and in the middle of the night. Hmmm.

Deb said...

I'm glad you got it all out...now you need a vacation....somewhere where there are no stupid people...let us know if you find that place..

Mrs. Mom said...

Golden Hermit Status headed your way baby.

Hang tough.

restoration42 said...

I don't think I've ever done my own rant about crazy, rude, obnoxious, thoughtless, dangerous drivers that see horses and speed up, or honk, drag race in front of pastures. We have them in Humboldt County too. I'm afraid you would have to move beyond all roads to be free of such foolishness.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Hmmmm, I'm one of those city working commuters that's always pressed for time...

I guess you could take a look at that beautiful and remote area- Datil, was it?

StefRobrts said...

Seems like there are some people you can never be far enough away from!

I hate the people who drive too fast past our place in the country too. Sometimes I can hear their engines whining a mile away, coming and going. They flash by here, and I think, thank goodness there's no horses on the road, or kids walking to the park, or people walking their dogs. I have to go about 300ft down the road to get to the park entrance on foot, and it's too dangerous, we drive over :(

I feel sorry for the horse pacing. Sounds neurotic. Do they make prozac for horses?

Paint Girl said...

I know the feeling of thinking that you live in a peaceful area, when all of a sudden it becomes a mess of traffic and noise. Our neighborhood is still pretty mellow, only because it is a private development, but in the last few years the Indian Reservation put in a casino right outside of our peaceful neighborhood, in the middle of cow and horse pasture's with a hilly, country 2 lane road with no shoulders and not even close to the freeway, traffic has increased so much and back when I worked nights at my old job, I was so scared coming home on that road. There are drunk drivers, young kids, speeders etc. I can't even tell you how many times I have almost been t-boned pulling out of my neighborhood or pulling in. It makes me so nervous. Everyone ignores the stop sign.

I am sorry you are going through this. Hopefully you can move to property out in the middle of the country so you can have some peace, and soon!

6 years ago, when Brandy came here, she paced non stop. I realized it was because she was no longer living with other horses, and when we bought Fritzy, I told my OH that I was 100% sure she would stop pacing once she came home. Yep, she immediately stopped. That is very interesting that D's horse is pacing, especially since it has horses in the pasture with it. But some horses just have stereotypical behaviors, like stall weaving, we have quite a few of those at work.

My neighbors are allowed on my property, but they have permission by me to be here at any time, if I saw someone else that I did not know on my property, they better watch out. Especially if they had a loose dog, (I've had problems with people walking their dogs down the road unleashed and their dog ran onto my property and chased my cats), that is not okay. I've had a cat attacked by a dog, and they are lucky I didn't give them the $12,000.00 bill. If only I could have proved it was their dog....

Okay, I better stop my rant now!! I could go on and on about people like this!

One of these days, you will have that big piece of paradise!! You deserve it!

Paint Girl said...

Okay, my last comment got kicked out because it was too large. So let's try this again! (I never realized that a comment could be too large!)

I am sorry you have to deal with all this. It is so very frustrating!! Once they put a casino in right outside our neighborhood, traffic has increased so bad, I always worry about drunk drivers! I don't know how many times I have almost been t-boned pulling in or out of my neighborhood!

Brandy paced non stop for a year, until we brought Fritzy home. I knew she would stop once we had another horse, some horses just have stereotypical behaviors, like stall weaving, we have a few of those at work. Chance actually does pace the fence line too. She can see all of the other horses, but she paces. She has a big ditch dug in the dirt from it. I hope she grows out of it.

My neighbors have permission to be on our property, but anyone else, nope. I have had problems with people walking down the road with their dogs, unleashed, and they have come onto my property and chased my cats. My cat Dakota was attacked by a dog, and we are pretty sure we know what dog it was, if I could prove it, I would have given them the $12,000.00+ bill.

One of these days, you will be living in a large paradise!! You deserve it!

Ed said...

Great post, your gripes are mine too. It gets too busy at times and once behind the wheel alot of people loose track of their senses and with all the distractions its a wonder there are not more accidents. You need a vacation, go to Belize, see the rainforest, snorkle in the crystal clear waters and just relax on the white sand beaches...:-)

Unknown said...

Geeze how inconsiderate. I have a lot of experience on the road with horses and from past problems I can tell you motorists are morons for the most part. Indigo would not be afraid of motorcycles if it was not for a group of 12 honking as they blasted past my friend and I. Do they not know it is illegal!? In ontario if you do not take all precaution (slowing down, stopping etc) and the rider/driver/handler gets hurt you are at fault as the car driver. Too bad I couldn't find the neon driver last year that ruined my pony for the road and banged me, my cart and harness up.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I love some of the photos. You really captured their spirit.

Carla said...

What is the matter with people!!
I feel bad for the 'tiger'. It's like he doesn't know how to be a horse.
I hope you find some relief. It's too bad the city has to invade the country.

CTG Ponies said...

We are encountering the same thing - way too many people in a hurry. I feel bad too for that horse that paces.

The Kelly's Adventures in KY said...

It is madding that the woman has the audacity to just waltz through YOUR place denying ownership of her off leash dogs and not even think a thing of it! What is this world coming to?

Your pictures are wonderful!!!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Beautiful photos. It's too bad that road is invading your peace. Good point about people moving to the country, then being in a big rush to get everywhere. I've lost count of how many times I've been passed on rural roads when I'm going the speed limit. Everyone is so impatient.

Sandy ~~~ said...

Quite simply put...I hate the sound of traffic. I hope on our place in NM I will never hear anything than a neighbors truck driving down the dirt road. The highway is 6 miles of dirt road away, so nothing too big should bother us.

lisa said...

We keep dreaming about living out in the nowhere land too! But hate the thought of starting over at our age. So unfortunately we are stuck where we are, on top of a highway with close neighbors. I defiantly know what you are talking about!

Sara said...

Those are serious rants. Lovely pictures, though!

jane augenstein said...

Some people are just plain out and out stupid I guess. Driving like crazy, honking their horns, trespassing with dogs off leash....no respect for others at all! What a shame your place is turning into a noisy place and people are annoying you!!!
Yes, I think I would be looking for somewhere else to move too....like in the middle of 100 acres, all fenced in and one way in and out. Good luck finding your perfect place...it's out there somewhere...
hugs....
Jane

MaskedMan said...

Amen to all your points.

Some people are simply ingnorant, and that can be cured. But others are stupid, and that's forever. Sadly, as numbers or people go up, the sheer numbers of 'stupid' go up with it too.

Given my druthers, I'd live on a nice island someplace without any bridges - Pugent Sound area comes to mimd. Tends to keep the through traffic down, yanno?