(Warning! Long Post, Lots of Photos!)
I must admit that the plight of these two very special horses have touched my heart and spurred me to action. What bothers me the most is that their situation was totally preventable. No horses, especially domesticated horses, should ever have to suffer such a terrible fate.
Since I am on the Public Relations/Advertising Team I was asked if I would contact the local TV Stations to have them report on these two abandoned horses and let the public know this doesn’t need to happen. We, of course, are also hoping that the exposure will help bring in some much needed donations.
Providing food, vet care, hoof and dental care, training, along with the maintenance of vehicles and facilities for 68 horses is very expensive, especially since all bills are paid solely through donations. Donations are the horse rescue’s lifeblood and are deeply appreciated.
I spent most of Monday on the phone and computer contacting and communicating with the local TV Stations, setting up appointments. Tuesday morning, after breakfast I was contacted by my contact at Channel 13 telling me they could be at the Horse Rescue in an hour……would I meet them there?
I said “sure” and then called my friend, Colleen, the Ranch Manager and Founder of Walkin N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue to make sure she would be there to be interviewed. She was already at the ranch and was ready for Channel 13 to arrive. I got there before the news crew showed up and spent some time grooming and loving on sweet Eleanor.
Once Channel 13 showed up I stayed busy taking photos, not only for this blog post, but also for posting on the horse rescue website, too.
Here are some of the photos of the Channel 13 Interview with Colleen, and Eleanor and Franklin.
I left the horse rescue around noon, drove home, prepared lunch for my kidlets, horse, llamas and goats and then drove into Albuquerque to take my daughter bowling with her Girl Scout Troop.
After two hours of bowling, which was lots of fun (and I didn’t do too bad….if you don’t consider that I was playing against kids under the age of 9. hah!)……….
We left the bowling alley and spent about an hour at Mickey Dees Play Land with my daughter’s girlfriend, while I enjoyed visiting with her Oma. Halfway through I received a phone call from my contact at Channel 7 saying they wanted to do an interview at the horse rescue at 5pm. Then I had to make a few phone calls to find someone at the ranch to be interviewed because Colleen already had another appointment. Colleen was able to talk Christine, another friend, and hard working volunteer at the horse rescue to do the interview with Channel 7, and I left Mickey Dees to drop Jen off at home and drive over to Walkin N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue to arrive before 5pm.
I spent a little time grooming and loving on Eleanor and helping Christine mix organic oatmeal and organic cooked chopped carrot mush into the alfalfa pellet/senior feed porridge inside Eleanor’s feed bucket.
Because Eleanor is probably between 35-40 years old, she has no back teeth and her front teeth are worn down so short that she’s not able to graze, which is why she became so emaciated after someone abandoned her to fend for herself.
Anytime anyone visits Eleanor, or walks by her stall, we are supposed to use a wooden spoon to stir her mush because it gets compacted as she eats, and then she’s not able to use her mouth to lift the food out of her bucket.
This is a video I took of Eleanor eating her porridge. It’s wonderful to see that she has the will to live.
Because of how sunken in she is, volunteers have to clean her perineum several times a day after she defecates, or else the manure is captured in the natural ‘bowl’ beneath her tail.
The Channel 7 News Team arrived and got busy taking video and interviewing Christine, while I kept busy taking photos of the entire process.
Here are some of the photos I took of the Channel 7 coverage.
(Cute little Franklin is in his mid 20’s and suffers from severe arthritis in his left knee)
Not long after the News Crew left, Christine and I left, too. I stopped by the grocery store on the way home, and finally got home around 7pm. Fed all the animals, fed my kidlets, and then watched both of the TV Interviews on the news. (More on that soon!)
Whew! What a long day!
But 100% worth it.
19 comments :
BRAVO!!! You did a great job getting both of those news stations out for stories. PR is hard work and you obviously do it well.
Might want to mention to reporters that flip flops are not appropriate foot wear when visiting a barn!! Ick!
If all that work were to lead to a few donations or even one adoption, it would be worth it.
You are right when you say there is no excuse for horses to be in that condition. Hard times do not justify simply walking away from your responsibility to a living thing that is incapable of fending for itself.
Whew !! I'm exhausted just reading about it all. It's so sad those horses ended up in such bad condition. I'm so glad they have ended up some place where they are treated with grace and humility.
Have a great day!
~Jeni
Whew !! I'm exhausted just reading about it all. It's so sad those horses ended up in such bad condition. I'm so glad they have ended up some place where they are treated with grace and humility.
Have a great day!
~Jeni
It would be hard to have to work at the rescue but it is a good thing that people are generous enough to have them. It is too bad that we have people in this world that abuse living creatures.
I was very happy to read all you did for the situation. So many people say "that's so sad" and keep going about their business. YOU are my kind of woman! A giant thanks for being such a caring and committed person.
What an interesting day you had, and all for such a good cause.:)
You should post where to make donations to Colleen's rescue ranch. Knoxville has a horse rescue as well.
Thats a very wonderful thing you did Lisa. Public awareness like that is the best for helping those in need.
Great! you are getting the info and education out there! Sad that Eleanor was abandoned at such an adavanced age(not that it is OK aty any age) poor old dolly
Great job! I bet you can get the newspaper out too!
BTW that condition you described is why we had Lily stitched up. She has the same conformation.
I bet the vet can do that - and it's not a very costly procedure.
Well done.
Dan
First, let me just say that I love how the reporters wore casual clothing. Around here, they are all dressed to the nines in designer clothing...lol!! I am sure that NM would be more to my liking now...teeheehee!!!
Second, little Eleanor is just precious and I am so glad that she is in good hands now. I have had friends who have really old horses (30+) and they make a similar mash. It is like nursing home food for horses... : )
Her buddy is pretty handsome himself, and kudos to you for getting the media involved and bringing this problem to the publics attention. Good job!!!
Wow you are amazing, organizing all those news crews to come out and tape a segment on the rescue. Awesome, Im hoping they get lots of donations from that.
Lisa,
Thank you.
Just thank you.
Oh my, I am so glad these horses were rescued..it is so sad to see them in such bad shape. You did great to get two news channels there..hopefully donations will be coming in..public awareness will help:)
You are so awesome Lisa!! It is so important to get the word out about horse rescues.
I get so angry at people not taking responsibilities for their pets. Once they get a pet, they need to stay committed, and if they can't do it, then they need to find a good home for it, not abandon them. So sad.
Franklin is so darn cute!
that is heartbreaking. Thank goodness they were found when they were.
In my state (Washington) many horses were being released (many with shoes still on) on an Indian Reservation because there is a wild horse herd. I guess they figured they could join with the herd and suddenly become self sufficient and survive?
There's been so many stories of abandonment in my area. It's so sad. These people must be in a dire predicament, which doesn't excuse them what so ever! I just wish they'd think about how their horses will suffer, horribly, before they did this.
WOW! I'm glad the local news took intrest in this story, with all the negative news out there its great to see a positive one and hope this leads to good things...I'm proud of you..:-)
Awesome, Lisa! Those two look like GGYR horses! :) We tend to gravitate toward the skinny and arthritic. I'm so glad you got the word out about your wonderful organization. You go, girl!
Post a Comment