Thursday, September 23, 2010

There is Justice, even for Horses

 

There were some questions in the comments from my last post that I thought I would answer or clarify.

Breathe stated that we could probably get the newspapers out here to interview WNCR. Well, yes that’s right, and actually the newspapers were called in first and that was done soon after Eleanor and Franklin arrived. They were the cake…..and the television interviews were the icing! hehe!

Breathe also commented that we could have the same surgery done on Eleanor that she had done on her mare. In answer, that would not be such a great idea for a physically depleted, close to 40 year old horse. We want her to live her last months or years in peace….as pain free as possible.

Paint Crazy commented on the television reporter’s footwear. Yes, I agree anyone working around horses should be wearing boots or sturdy shoes and flip flops don’t qualify. But in her defense, we were her last stop for the evening and she had been wearing heels all day long and her feet were sore. She didn’t want wear her heels around the mud and manure, and it’s not like she expects to visit horse barns every day. And most importantly, she wasn’t working close to any of the horses, except for Eleanor…..and poor thing doesn’t move faster than a turtle.

Finally Leah Fry commented that if WNCR received some donations or even one adoption, it would all be worth it.

Personally I feel it was already worth it, because we got the word out about the plight of these poor abandoned horses, while educating the public, especially horse owners, that there are other options to just dumping a horse, if you’re no longer able to care for it anymore.

But we have received some donations, and I just have to share the good news about the injured horse that I helped rescue on Sunday. The owners had been away all weekend down in Roswell and they stopped by WNCR to pick up their mare on Monday. The mare’s name is Jackie and she is doing great! The vet spent a couple hours on Sunday evening cleaning and stitching up her wound. And her owners were so relieved to see her, and so appreciative of the help that we all did to save her that they not only paid their vet bill in full, but they also donated $100 to Walkin N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue, too!!!!!! Woot!

I figured some of you might be interested in seeing the television segments on Eleanor and Franklin and WNCR Horse Rescue, so I video taped them off my tv with my camera……and here they are:

Channel 13 KRQE

Channel 7 KOAT

 

For me, what is most ironic about this situation is how Franklin and Eleanor have been given some justice.

Think about it.

Their owner wanted Eleanor and Franklin to just disappear, dumping them as thoughtlessly as someone disposes of broken appliances and garbage out in the desert.

But look at them now. They didn’t perish out in the desert, forgotten. No, they didn’t.

These two very special horses came back from the dead and now their faces and stories have been seen by thousands of people on television, newspapers, and on the internet.

Viva Franklin! Viva Eleanor!



15 comments :

Leah Fry said...

Well said and well done.

Jeni said...

I'm so glad the mare you helped is going to be ok and her owners are good people !

Have a great day!
~Jeni

Lisa said...

Hi Lisa.
Thanks for posting the video of the news broadcasts of Eleanor and Franklin. I was wondering if there was a way to see them. :)

The latter broadcast mentioned something about an "emergency feed program" and feed for 2 months would be given to a horse owner in need. What group sponsors that program? Is it a private group or government? We need something like that here in Maine. The horse rescues here have been in the news a lot the last couple of years as they are bursting at the seams with horses their owners could no longer afford. One rescue was so crowded that they were accepting horses but leaving them in their homes and sending folks from the rescue out to care for them!
Lisa

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Well done. Interesting about the feed assistance program.We don't have anything like that here.I wonder how many people in your area actually are aware of of it?

Dan and Betty said...

Good stuff. The article in the paper this morning was good as well.

Dan

Shirley said...

I hope that this leads to more support in donations and hay etc. for WNCR. Good for you for getting involved in such a worthy cause.

Crystal said...

Thats awesome thanks for putting up the news clips.
Excellent news about the mares owners, glad they care about her and a bonus donation!

Killlashandra said...

That's a great story. :) We've had our fair share of abandoned horses on the mesa over the years too down here in Valencia County. It's sad, but you do always hope for a happy ending.

Gail said...

I like happy endings.

Alison said...

I've been too rushed to comment on these posts, but wanted to give you a pat on the back for "being the change in the world that you want to see." There's got to be a special place in heaven for people who help the helpless, be they animal or human.

Ed said...

Hazzah! for Lisa and the WNCR you guys are fantastic!!! And the news did a great piece too..:-)

Cheryl Ann said...

Good job bringing their story to the public. You'd be surprised how many people don't know this kind of thing IS going on!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful thing you have done Lisa. I hope many more donations come you way. Glad that the injured horses owner came back to get her and gave a donation too!

Mellimaus said...

Poor Franklin and Eleanor; thank goodness they're at WNCR :) Great TV segments! And it's good to hear that the injured mare does have owners that care about her; I'd be so thankful too if I found my horse had been "rescued" while I was away and taken care of-how great.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good news about Jackie..great rescue Lisa..you and your kids should be as pleased as punch! I am proud of you all! :)