Friday, November 26, 2010

You Weren’t Raised in a Barn, ya know!

 

Last Night’s Weather Statement:

**Statement as of 4:05 PM MST on November 25, 2010 ~ Unseasonably cold conditions expected tonight across New Mexico... A strong cold front ushered unseasonably cold temperatures into the land of enchantment today. This colder air mass will allow readings to plummet 15 to 25 degrees below seasonal normal temps. Many areas will drop into the single digits with negative values expected within the higher terrain. Even a few record lows are possible across western and central New Mexico. The dangerously cold temperatures will pose a threat for frost bite to those who are planning to camp outside... particularly for the black Friday Holiday shopping period. Persons should consider altering their outdoor plans... but those who must be outside should minimize exposure and wear several layers of clothing**

Please tell me, that none of my blogger buddies CAMPED outside all night waiting to be first in line for those Black Friday Deals! Ack! Are people nuts?

IMG_6170

Seriously, though it was freezing cold on Thanksgiving Day. A couple of friends from Walkin N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue planned a fun potluck dinner in the aisle of the main barn.

We were all pretty excited about eating our holiday dinner with the horses’ muzzles hanging over our shoulders.

But it was not to be.

IMG_6081

On Thanksgiving morning, we awoke to our first real snowfall this winter (we’ve had one small flurry, but it didn’t leave any accumulation). The worst of the weather was how dang freezing cold it was! We had the kind of wind that bites through your clothes, no matter how warm you try to dress. And if your hands aren’t bundled up your fingertips would be painfully numb in short order. Brrrrr!

But, not to be outdone by the weather, the WNCR volunteers moved the tables, chairs, and the festivities into the Volunteer Trailer instead. It was nice and cozy for those of us hardy enough to brave the bitter cold to gather together on Thanksgiving Day, beside the barn, at the Horse Rescue.

IMG_6092

And best of all? As soon as the last crumbs of pumpkin pie were gobbled up, we all went out to visit with the horses! 

IMG_6130  

Some of the equines decided to forego the post Thanksgiving meal football game, and just head straight for Napville instead.

IMG_6133 

Some were wondering if I had brought some pumpkin pie to share.

IMG_6141

 

Remember what I’ve taught you. Keep your ears perky and your eyes soft and pitiful. The two-leggeds always fall for it!”

IMG_6150

Is it working?”

IMG_6149

She probably doesn’t think you’re cute enough.”

Speak for yourself, punk!”

IMG_6151

If I had any pumpkin pie, this is one cutie I’d give it to.

IMG_6154 

Do you know how hard it is to photograph a donkey that would like nothing more than to sit in your lap?

IMG_6159

 

 

IMG_6165

 

This is Ruby, a recently rescued long-ear. Isn’t she adorable?

IMG_6162

 

Don’t you think this old fella should be named “Ducky”?

IMG_6167

Franklin told me, in no uncertain terms, that he doesn’t like pumpkin pie. But he wouldn’t mind a carrot pie, thank you very much.

IMG_6116

Speaking of Franklin. Do you remember him? And Eleanor, too? Check out their story from September, with all of the disturbing photos I took, just after they were rescued from being abandoned with no food or water. (You can also see a photo I took of Eleanor on my sidebar)

Franklin looks great doesn’t he?

IMG_6123

 

And Eleanor looks even better!

IMG_6103

Of course, she’s over 30 years old and has no teeth, so she’ll never look the same as a horse 15 years younger. But she has really filled out and her ribs and her hip bones are not as prominent, even after only 2 months of good food and care.

We spent about 20 minutes just running our hands through her thick, soft fur and loving on her, until we were almost frozen. Eleanor is such a sweet lady. Jen and I adore her.

IMG_6093

Eleanor’s silhouette looks much improved, don’t you think?

IMG_6112

And she is much happier having her two room-mates around, too.

IMG_6114

I think Eleanor and Franklin are very thankful for Walkin N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue, don’t you?

IMG_6122

Even if pumpkin pie is not his favorite thing.



13 comments :

Crystal said...

aww the comment are pretty cute, looks like a fun day even if it was cold out!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Looks like a lovely way to spend your day. And the oldsters do look much improved

Dan and Betty said...

Great pictures and a great way to spend a cold Thanksgiving. I loved the donkey pictures - those eyes are really neat.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Your title reminded me of when I said this to my oldest son once (although he almost was born at the barn since that's where I was when my water broke!) but he looks at me for a second and then says "no, but Jesus was." Oops, never looked at it that way before!
What a fun time you guys had, thanks for sharing your day.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

So true! Your son is very wise and smart, too!
I think it would be neat to be born in a barn...probably not so great to give birth in a barn, though. hehe!

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

It's so nice to see horses that were in trouble and are now comfortable and well-cared for - love the pictures! Hope you warm up soon!

Gail said...

Sounds like the perfect day!

colleen said...

Great way to spend the day. It's so nice to see how well Franklin and Elenor are doing. Thanks to wonderful people they will live a happier and healthier life.

Leah Fry said...

Birthing in a barn? I, for one, do not want hay in certain parts of my anatomy. Down my bra is bad enough!

Great pix, as always, and the captions are priceless.

Alison said...

Wow, I never would have recognized Franklin--he looks wonderful! And Eleanor looks so content, drowsing in the sun with a full belly and a good winter coat.

Looks like a lovely way to spend your Thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

How good to see those two neglected horses look in better health. I wish there were some rescues around here that took horses. Our humane society, they are IDIOTS! They don't know a darn thing about horses or cattle and have made some pretty stupid decisions in the past few years that got some good farmers pretty darn mad.
I hope those two continue to flourish.

StefRobrts said...

Looks like a fun way to spend a day. Nice horses.

jane augenstein said...

Now why didn't I see this one? I love Ruby, such a pretty girl.
Glad Eleanor and Franklin are doing better.
love the barn kitty and Jenna!
hugs....
jane