I think I’ve been spoiled.
Viewing all of my favorite blogs with their snowy, cold photos these last couple months have made me feel grateful..and warm.
Over the weekend, in late afternoon, I was able to stand outside in only a long sleeve t-shirt watching my twinling Jem throwing a baseball to his Dad, Ranchman John.
We’ve had such gorgeous weather this winter, with sunshine most every day, temps warm enough to go run around outdoors without a jacket or coat, and bright blue skies. Ahhhhh. I love New Mexico.
But things were about to change.
Well they did in fact, today.
Today started off bright, sunny and warm with temps of 60 degrees. I hung out with all the horses up at the barn and buried my hands in Apache’s coat but her fur felt too hot on my skin. I walked down to say hello to Val’s 4 horses, and Scout and Yalla! were sprawled out asleep. They barely even lifted their heads to look up at me. I patted Yalla! on the nose and told Scout to enjoy his nap, and went back up to finish barn chores.
There was a storm coming with predictions of over a foot of snow and temps below zero. *shiver*
Meanwhile, my daughter was down at the house playing with the chickens and taking her favorite hen, little old Bertha, for a ride on her Big Wheel. Jen was complaining the sun was too bright.
The other chickens were doing their normal chickeny things and enjoying a relaxing, communal dust bath.
And then took a nap.
I decided to drive into town, about 8 miles away to the east, and pick up some provisions to hold us over until this storm’s snow melts, and swing by the feed store on the way back home, to pick up some more hay and a couple bags of feed.
When I came out of the grocery store it had begun to snow and the temperature had fallen, too. But as I left the town behind, the snow stopped. By the time I got home, the sky was still a little bit cloudy and a little bit sunny. But when I looked eastward, I could see the dark, cloud covered sky and saw it moving our way.
I got all the animals into the barn, fed, watered and tucked in for the night and drove back down to the house. And by the time I reached the pasture gate, the snowflakes started swirling around me.
And as soon as I got the van parked into the garage and unloaded my groceries, the snow was flying horizontal, and I started hearing thunder, which was then followed by grape-sized hail!
The temperatures had dropped from 60F degrees down to 20F degrees in just a few hours. Wow!
And it’s supposed to get down to the teens and single digits by tonight.
A lot can change in such a short time when it comes to weather, especially in New Mexico.
The chickens are warm and cozy in their coop.
I sure am glad that my kidlets and I decided to head up to Santa Fe last Friday to do some exploring and letterboxing. It was so warm and beautiful that day. I think I’m going to hold on to the memory of that day to keep me warm the rest of this week.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking of holding on to something, I’m still holding on to these vinyl clings to award to those of you that attempted to solve the mysterious 4’s from my post: Four You Give Away .
Since I only had a handful of folks leave a comment with their guesses, I’ve decided to give all of you one of these vinyl clings! Hooray!
So, would the following bloggers please send me your snail mail addies to: twinville2 at yahoo dot com so I can drop these in the mail for you next week (after we dig ourselves out from the snow):
Jeni
Nuzzling Muzzles
Fantastyk Voyager
KD
Oregon Sunshine
Dreaming
Jane Augenstein
26 comments :
As usual I hope you keep the snow on your side of the mountain. We'll get the cold too, but I hope we don't get any snow. We'll see.
Nice pictures, especially the snoozing chickens. They look pretty contented.
Dan
While we didn't get that nice warm break you had, we are due to get up to 20" over the next two days. But that's what it's SUPPOSED to do in winter - snow! So I don't mind much.
Loved the chicken pictures!
Yikes Lisa!!! I think I prefer here, as nice as the sun is when its warn , those plummeting temps and it being so changeable cant be fun either. Stay warn and safe !
Scary fast temp changes! We're going from cold to a blizzard to really cold. Love the chicken photos - I think chickens are really wonderful.
Wow! your weather does change in a heartbeat! Ahhhh, the chickies look so cute sleeping and Jeni with her pink shoes, she does LOVE pink doesn't she! How cute she is!
We are suppose to get freezing rain and sleet tonight and tomorrow...boo!
I want spring and soon! I wanna ride again!
Really, really, really??? Me? I won something!!!! WOW....thank YOU!!!
hugs...
jane
I love your snow and macro frost and snowflake pictures so much that I am a little glad that you are getting some white stuff. Hopefully it won't stay too long. Yay for winning a prize !
That is some insane weather. I can't believe it, except for the pictures :) What a huge difference! At least now there is communication and we know it's coming. Can you imagine being a pioneer and having that hit you in your covered wagon?
Stay warm and enjoy!
Thank YOU Lisa !!! Love those chicken pictures a =)
stay warm and dry!!
I don't dare show my chickens, your chickens taking dust baths, it's been sooo long since we had dry, warm ground.
I suppose since you are at a high altitude, your weather can change so quickly, like when I watch mountain climbing TV shows, storms come fast.
what a temperature change! I love those pics of your girlie and the chickens, too cute.
Stay warm and safe!
That is amazing that the temps dropped so quickly! Ours usually slowly drops, but nothing that drastic! Wow is all I have to say! Snow is beautiful to look at, but after a day of the white stuff, I am ready for it to melt!
Stay warm!
I've been watching the news this morning and see that things your way are going to be pretty wintery. Stay warm and well my friend!
Great pics of the chics, stay warm..:-)
Our temps will drop 20 degrees overnight starting tonight...I need to run out and buy feed for the horses after school! Wish I could send you some hot baked ziti that hubby makes...that will warm your tummy! Glad all the animals are tucked in!
I wonder if the storm that you got is the same one that is now heading across the country, due to hit us tomorrow? There's a possibility that we will get thundersnow, so I'm kind of excited.
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of chickens sleeping before, so that was an especially interesting sight for me. Have fun digging out.
What crazy weather! The west never ceases to surprise me with the way things can change in a heartbeat.
Stay warm!
Oh, I almost forgot, Thank you (in advance) for the window cling. I love it! I love your creativity. I love your generosity!
I hope to get down into your neck of the woods sometime. We can meet for lunch or something!
yep, winter's not over yet! Snow is one reason why I like it here.
I'm watching new stories of the monster storm right now. I've been waiting for it to warm up to clean out the water troughs and now we are supposed to get colder, cloudy days. We had a little snow on Sunday, but it melted. For some reason, when it does snow, it's always on a Sunday, so my nosy neighbors stay home from church and get under my feet all day. How sweet of you to include everyone in the prize winner list. I know I totally screwed up my answer.
That's a big drop in such a short time. Hard on everyone, including critters, I think.
Hope you stay warm.
Good thing you got everyone batten down befor that hail came. That would have hurt! Stay warm and safe.
Oh, Laughing Orca, I was trying to read your blog but I kept getting new messages saying that it was private and I needed to be invited to read it. Which was strange because I had already been reading it! But look, it is back today! I think these pictures are AWSUM, particularly of the PINK BIG WHEEL (so fond are my memories of Big Wheel days oh so long ago), and also of those chickens who are sop cute! The snow looks familiar to me but I am shioked you have so much in your neck of the woods! I love how cozy that chicken coop looks! Enjoy the weather, fun blogger!
Wow! What a change in the weather for sure! I think our high desert Nevada and New Mexico weather are much the same! We have a saying here, "if you don't like the weather wait five mintues and it's sure to change!" Sadly we haven't had any snow since early December! Our temps started warming last week and the snow in the mountains around us started to melt. The local river is on the rise now...it is much to early for that to happen! This morning we woke up to a brisk north wind and very cold temps, so maybe that will stop the high elevation snow melt. No storms are forecast for us, so I guess we will start out the month of February on the dry side!
Stay warm and cozy in your home and enjoy the snow!
Love the photos of the chickens! =)
we were in the high 70's on Saturday...and in the low teens today with ice and snow...crazy Texas weather...
Brrrrrrrr keep warm Lisa. We are the midst of a big blizzard here in Chicago too, I could surely do with some warm sun so I can totally understand how you're feeling.
LOVE the coop picture. I think that needs to be in some wintery book. Awesome stuff.
Post a Comment