This week’s Sunday Stills Challenge is Circles. All of my photos were taken in Santa Fe on Friday afternoon. After being cooped up sick for over 3 weeks, I was going stir-crazy and needed to get out and explore, do some letterboxing and take some photos. We picked a good day to spend time outdoors because the temperature was a balmy 57F degrees, dry and sunny. We’re all still sick around here, but much happier to have gotten out for a fun day together.
All of the following photos were found within a few blocks surrounding The Santa Fe Plaza. They are basically SOOC, using my Canon PowerShot SX110 IS, with only some minor tweaks using my basic Windows editing program to adjust contrast and add a watermark.
Here are my Circle Photos:
Front of Inn of Loretto.
Inside Inn of Loretto.
Art Sculpture in the gardens surrounding Inn of Loretto
Front of Loretto Chapel
Inside Loretto Chapel
On De Vargas Street.
The Bataan World War II Memorial
This is our State Capital Building. Not only is the State Seal of New Mexico a circle, but the entire building is also a circle and is called The Round House. The building refers to the traditional meeting space of Native Americans, called a Kiva.
If you fly over this building, or use Google Earth, you will not only see The Round House, but you will see that the top of the building resembles our state symbol: The Zia.
On De Vargas Street.
This Mission Church is the oldest church in the United States, built in 1610 by the Tlaxcalan Indians from Mexico. Do you see the circle within San Miguel’s Bell Tower?
This red chile ristra is a typical New Mexico door and gate decoration, especially around Christmas.
Native American Hoop Dance Sculpture in front of The Round House.
Baskets and Rugs for Sale near The Plaza.
And finally, a video of some unique artwork spinning in circles, in opposite directions.
~~~~~~~~
Oh. And these last few photos are for Ed, because he generously sent us some cool boonie hats, as a gift for me and my kidlets.
Hey! I think I see a circle in that pottery on the left. Don’t you?
I think my twinling Jax did a terrific job taking that photo, too. Perfect rule of thirds going on.
Those table tops are circles, too. Notice the red chile ristras hanging on both sides of the front door portal? That's an outdoor kiva fireplace to the right of Jax.
We had to carry Dobbie Girl inside, but a sure sign that a town is super dog-friendly is when they invite you to bring your dog into the chapel.
We couldn’t find anyone to take our photo so we did the next best thing. lol!
We and our noggins say thank you, Ed, my friend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, which circle photos were your favorite?
34 comments :
New Mexico is soooooo charming! I love that you can get pictures of yourselves without dozens of other people swarming around. As usual, I just ventured as far as my own yard for my circles challenge. Every time I do go out, there's no time to stop for pictures unless I specifically go somewhere to take pictures. I was RIGHT BY that letterbox you found at the Livestock Events Center, but forgot to bring my letterboxing equipment.
Perfect!
All good pictures of circles, my favorite is the last one!
hugs....
jane
nice ones lisa :)
looks like you had a busy time with your camera
First I have to ask if you noticed that your coat was almost perfect camouflage for Dobbie? Seriously, check out the pic with you holding her lol
Now for favs... The blue wagon, the stained glass and Loretto chapel
You did an excellent job while being sick, A friend says to drink some thing peppery and that will clear your sinus and your head.
Stunning pictures - very hard to pick a favorite so I won't :)
Beautiful circles...my favorite contained no circles that I could see. I loved the family photo by Ed.
Hubby and I are coming to New Mexico this summer if gas isn't $5.00 a gallon then! Beautiful photos!
I SO want to stay at that Inn! My favorite pic is the red door with the ristra.
Picking a favorite circle is tough. I like those that are so typical 'Santa Fe'. I also like the snake art.
But, my favorite is the reflection photo of everyone and each in his or her 'space'. Very cool!
My favorite circle picture is the one of the Loretto chapel. But, my favorite picture is the last one, of you four. That is a picture you should display somewhere.
Those are so awesome!! You found a ton of wonderful art. Isn't it crazy how many circles there are when you start looking around? And the video was awesome. I want one of those. I could stare at it all day lol. :) Good job!
All great pictures Lisa. Santa Fe is a beautiful place. Love the interesting circles you found. Feel better soon.
you're back!
i really like the architecture in that part of the country. i like the first one best.
- The Equestrian Vagabond
So many to choose from but I would have to pics the hoop dancer. The Boonies look great, hope they get softer with each wash..:-)
An outstanding series!
Funny, when Ed brought up circles the first thing that popped into my head was the circular staircase at Loretto Chapel! I've always loved the circle art at the Inn. I think my favorite is you and Jenna in the hats, but the video of the moving sculpture is very cool!
Hard to pick a favorite when they are ALL Great! I love the last photo of all of you...well done!
Happy Sunday!
(I hope you all get to feeling better soon!)
what a beautiful set of shots! I just loved the spinning circles!
Lisa, you are so good at these stills challenges--not only do you take great pictures, but they're unique, and you give us all kinds of interesting background to NM culture. I love the way Native culture is so omnipresent, even in the state government building.
Thank you so much Flartus!
I'm so glad you noticed, because that was exactly what I was trying to achieve. I truly love my beautiful Land of Enchantment and enjoy sharing it's beauty and unique culture, art and history with everyone.
I'm glad you enjoyed my photos, and thanks for stopping by :)
~Lisa
WOW !!! Love them all !
Great pictures and I love the hats. We stayed at the Inn at Loretto a couple of years ago for the Indian Market. It's a beautiful place to stay.
Dan
Wow - is Sante Fe really as beautiful and colorful as your photos portray? What a lovely place!
How am I supposed to pick a favorite??? They are all super! Guess if I had to, my favorite would be the hoop dancer, the rista and red door and heck......how about just saying all of them?!
My favorite is the one Jax took!
What a gorgeous place you live in! It looks just how I picture it.
I was getting worried because I couldn't get to your blog and I see something was going on because you were sick. Three weeks! Wow. Hope you guys all feel better!
Hard choice...my fav's are the Loretto Chapel and New Mexico door. As far as family pics, hands-down the last one. Beautiful pics!
I so love all of your pics of Santa Fe! I love the Mimbre pottery motifs! Someday I'm going to make a quilt of them...
Cappy
(another Maryland-er, still in Maryland [found out you were from MD in the Morning Bray crab feast post!], wishing she lived out west...)
Thank you for my circle AND Santa Fe fix. It's been a whole 6 months since I've been there, way too long!
Hi Lisa...for some reason I have not been able to follow your blog...I'm trying again...hope your doing well...
LOVE the baskets, I can't resist baskets what a good job that store is not near me I would want them all!!
So glad that 'you are back' Lisa, I might not always leave comments but I really enjoy your blog.
I've said it before, I'll say it again--you have such a great eye! Gorgeous--all of them!
Nice blog - really enjoyed the pictures and video. We do have a mighty pretty Capitol. The reflected self portrait was quite creative!
Post a Comment