Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Well That Was Unexpected

 

Yesterday’s weather report called for temperatures of 25-30F degrees with partly cloudy skies…and winds of only 10-15mph. There was no prediction of any snow at all. Not even a slight chance of snow was predicted.

I was thinking…”Yippee! We’re going to thaw out around here finally”. The sun was shining in the eastern sky and the sky was a beautiful baby blue.

Apache was in her paddock enjoying the mellow morning and I was doing some barn chores, when all of a sudden…..

All Hell Broke Loose!

IMG_7483

I felt strong gusts of wind vibrating the barn and very quickly, it became darker within. I looked outside and the sky was full of furiously blowing white snow, blowingly horizontal!

I could just barely see the eastern sky and was surprised to be able to see the same blue sky and sunshine I had just seen a few minutes earlier! But quickly my view was cut off by snow so thick that I wasn’t even able to see my house, just down the hill.

IMG_7496

What the heck?! Where did this crazy snow blizzard come from?! Were the weather people playing video games and munching cheese doodles when this cold front storm moved across their satellite equipment?!

We totally were not expecting any snow storms yesterday!

Even Zuni was perplexed!

IMG_7503

And the weird weather continued…….about an hour after the mini-blizzard started, the sun came out, even though the snow kept falling!

IMG_7541

Apache and Zuni were also confused about such odd weather.

IMG_7531

And the rest of the evening, the snow continued to blow until the sun dropped behind the mountains and the sky became dark.

IMG_7467

Apache was very grateful to be invited to spend the night in the barn and I was worried about the appointments we had the next day.

IMG_7520

This morning, Ranchman John, after driving home from the night shift in the morning, seeing how horrible the roads were, insisted on driving me and our kidlets to our appointments in his truck. And I was very grateful. We had only received several inches from the storm the day before, but  by morning, many of the roads in our area were covered in evil black ice and glistening sheets of white ice!

Where were the road crews that usually do a pretty good job of keeping our roads clear?

IMG_7519

I bet they were taken by surprise from this sneaky storm, too!

IMG_7482

The county road that goes past our neighborhood is extremely hilly and at one point we crested over a hill and we’re confronted by a sheet of thick white ice on the steep downhill side! We tried going down in low gear, but started to fish tail as we had no traction, so we threw caution to the wind and moved over to the oncoming traffic side of the road, which was almost clear of the sheet of ice. We could see all the way down the hill and could see if any traffic was coming our way, but it still felt disconcerting driving on the wrong side of the road. But the risk was much less than trying to drive on a sheet of ice going down a steep hill, with a stop sign at the bottom.

IMG_7552

We finished all our appointments in Albuquerque, which by the way had no snow, nor ice at all, by late afternoon and by the time we turned down our county road all the treacherous ice had melted.  We were relieved, but also feeling concerned and annoyed with the weather folks for failing to report this phantom storm. They’ve always done a pretty good job, until yesterday. So this makes us wonder what other big storms they won’t warn us about in the future.

IMG_7463

So, how well do the weather folks in your area score? Do they often make mistakes? Do the mistakes tend more towards reporting good weather when you end up with storms or in reporting storms when you end up with none?



26 comments :

Dan and Betty said...

We were surprised by the same snow storm and the effects were very similar.

I guess the weather folks are going to be wrong every once in awhile.

Dan

small farm girl said...

We have those snow squalls all the time. They can put down a few quick inches in just a little bit of time. Apachy looks so cute with snow all over her.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

seems to be a crap shoot all in all .Our forcast range from super accurate to "pulled that out of a hat didya?"

DesertHen said...

We have been surpised many times by unexpected storms and I always blame the weathermen...bunch of cheesedoodle munchers...LOL! I guess being surprised now and again is to be expected when living in the high dessert...at least that is what the hubby says.

Glad you made it safely to your appointments and back again! Ice covered roads scare me silly!

Anonymous said...

In my neck of the woods it's always a 50/50 chance of rain. So you can't go too wrong with that forecast! They have been wrong when it comes to snow, though, probably 90% of the time.
Have you mentioned your GSD before? I don't remember ever seeing her, she's beautiful. We had a few of those growing up.
Glad you guys made it safe on those roads, ice scares this Hawaiian grown girl.
Based on your blog I've got my kiddos convinced we need to move to NM. I've told them all about your sunny, warm days and how when it snows it really snows. Now we just have to convince dad. He's not impressed with the fact that you guys have a state income tax.
I'm trying to convince tht the cheaper cost of living will make it all even out:)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Zuni is a cutie. Fortunately, our weather predictors have predicted worse weather than what we've got this year. Your driving in the oncoming lane story reminded me that there was another head-on collision on one of the two curves by our house. I'm always having to honk at drivers who drift down to the inside lane to save a little time. They drive like they are on the Indianapolis Speedway dropping to the inside on the curves, even though we have oncoming traffic here.

Anyway, my husband walked down to check out the accident when this guy with California plates pulled up behind a squad car, got out, and complained to the cop that he had to get back to California and needed to know how to get around the accident to the highway. The cop yelled at him, "I'm not giving you directions. We have people hurt here. Get the hell out of here!"

I wondered if ice might have contributed to that accident. I'm glad John was able to get you where you needed to go safely.

Paint Girl said...

That is totally crazy! Apache looks so cool with all the snow all over her though! But I am sure it was cold!
That is crazy that the weather man didn't predict that storm. Our weather man usually gets it right. And if it isn't right it is pretty darn close. I haven't been caught off guard like you though!
Stay warm and hopefully you won't get anymore unexpected, crazy, snow storms!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow NuzMuz! That's crazy how people drive so fast and enter the oncoming lane of a blind curve. I would never try that because it's so dangerous. I didn't even like entering the oncoming lane on that icy hill, but we had a clear view of over a 1/4 mile so we would have seen if anyone was driving towards us.
Sounds like the accident wasn't due to ice though, as you've said many times, that people drive like that on your road all year long, not just during winter.

~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hey horsemom!

Oh yes! Just bring hubby out here for a look-see. I bet he'll be motivated to move here! :) We could be neighbors. :)

Thanks for the sweet Zuni comment, too. We got Zuni when she was a puppy over 3 years ago. She's really my hubby's dog and spends all day outside up at the barn, guarding the llamas and goats, and then just comes in at night. So I don't get as many opportunities to photograph her, like I do my little Dobbie girl :)

Thanks again,
~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

small fcarm girl. Thanks for the nice compliment on Apache :)

Desert Hen,
Thanks for the kind comments. Icy roads give me the willies, too. Yes, Ranchman John was very sweet for watching out for us and taking such good care of his family. He's a terrific guy :)

Thanks Paint Girl. Yes Apache did look sort of cute covered in snow....kind of sweet, like powdered sugar on a chocolate donut. lol!

~Lisa

Ed said...

Ahhh living in the mountains is an adventure..:-)
In 1978 I remember the news telling us no snow in the furure and that night we got 3 feet of snow, that was a blast for a 13 year old eddie who loved making extensive forts in the 6 foot snowdrifts..:-))

colleen said...

Crazy weather! Around here it's usually prepare for the worst and it's not as bad as all that. Of course when they do get it right it's usually when I need to go to work and can't get there....

Jeni said...

Good Morning Lisa ~ wow look at that snow! Our weather forecast for Cincinnati, OH is "Chance of snow every day until Saturday" hahahahaha !

Apache looks all fat and fuzzy - happy mare!

I LOVE Zuni she looks a true German - German Shepherd which look different then "American" german shepherds.

Have a wonderful day.

PaintCrazy said...

I wish our weather forecasters were right more often. They are forever saying we'll have 3-4 inches of snow and it's only a dusting.

Pretty pics - I love snow!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Yeah, it was snowing in ABQ in the afternoon so I had to drive home in it. Scary ice! In the morning, the hill was pure ice, I thought, Wheee, lets go sledding, in my car, no less.
It's good there was no oncoming traffic. Over the weekend, someone ditched their car on that hill pretty badly from the ice.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

yeah, it's white here, and forecasted to snow through next Tuesday.

Louise said...

Our weather people are pretty good. The snow patterns here can be erratic, with the wind blowing off of the lake, but they usually at least manage to know when to warn us that sudden squalls might appear.

I'm in love with Zuni, but the way. What a beauty!

AareneX said...

How accurate are weather forecasts in the Swamp? Well, one of our local weather guys wrote a book a few years ago, entitled Somewhere I Was Right : Why Northwest Weather is so Predictably Unpredictable !

Apparently, having two sets of mountains (the Olympic Range and the Cascade Range) framing a large body of water (the Puget Sound) means there are a lot more variables than constants. Also, our farm is at the fringe of a convergence zone, framed by rivers and the foothills of mountains, so our micro-weather is often a bit different from the rest of the county.

Around here we rely heavily on the "weather dog": Turn Luna into the backyard, wait ten minutes, let her back into the house. If Luna is wet, it's raining. If she's white, it's sn*wing....

Sandy ~~~ said...

I remember visiting our property near Corona one year over Memorial Day weekend. We got a huge t-storm with tons of hail. The state roads guys were called out with SNOW plows to clear the highways because there were accidents and roll overs everywhere...from about 2 inches of hail on the roads!

lisa said...

Let me put it to you this way, Lisa, the weathermen are the only ones who get paid for being wrong!

StefRobrts said...

Here in the NW we have a lot of rain, also known as sprinkles, showers, misting, drizzle, heavy precipitation, and downpours. I'm always amazed at how many ways they can describe rain. Since it's our basic state, they must spend most of their time wondering how they'll describe it this time.

When they suspect snow they get really excited! They start talking about it a week ahead of time, declare it to be the 'big storm', warn everyone to stay indoors, tell folks to stockpile food and water, and then half the time we just get a light dusting and everything is back to normal within a day. If we get snow like you're describing, the whole Portland metro area would crawl to a halt for a week! :)

Alison said...

Mmmmm, cheese doodles....

Huh, what??

Y'know, I bet that was a relatively tiny, very localized storm. Which might be why they didn't bother to send out the snow crews. And why the video gamers might have missed the blip on their radar screen.

Oh well, isn't life out on the range supposed to be exciting and unpredictable? :D

Rising Rainbow said...

Weathermen have been more wrong than right ever since I can remember. I think now they have satelite pictures to look at they are closer than before but still Mother Nature has secrets hiding in those photos that weathermen can't see and next thing you know, the weatherman is wrong.

Glad to hear you got safely to your appointments. The roads sounded horrible. I hate driving in that stuff.

Celeste said...

Aww I don't know, I really don't think that weather forecasting is a very exact science, kind of like trying to predict the future. They read the signs but honestly things can change in an instant. Just glad to hear that you survived your icy ride into town :)

Tammy Vasa said...

How do weather folks score in our area? They aren't called the Big Fat Lying Weatherman for nothing! Weather has become "news" and the chance of snow is more dramatic if they say it is going to be blizzard like. They interrupt tv shows for thunderstorm warnings & put the radar on half of your screen. WTH? We are Nebraskans & thunderstorms are nothing!! I think the stations count on the weather folks to garner ratings. I read the weather on the internet & go by my own gut anymore...

Did make for some pretty pics for you!

The Wades said...

I love the picture of Apache looking off covered in snow. Gorgeous. Sneaky storm indeed.