Saturday, February 5, 2011

Blogger Friends Rock!, Blogging Woes, and Confetti Cactus

 

I just had to share the recent emails I received from some of the volunteer management team over at Walkin N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue :

“Thanks so much to those hardy souls who came out to help with water for the horses and feet cleaning on Thursday.  Also a huge thank you to those of you who have donated and continue to donate money to offset the cost of the damage at the ranch.  Your tax deductible letters will be in the mail as soon as possible.   
As we have always said, the horse rescue could not function, survive and thrive without all of you.
~Loeta”

And:

“We have $105.00 new in PayPal this morning.  We sure do appreciate it!
~Anna”

To all of you fantastic, generous blogger friends who donated to WNCR……..I want to thank you, on behalf of WNCR, all the volunteers, and the horses and donkey, too. You guys totally rock!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Peeking through the frost and ice on my bedroom window.

IMG_7919

Still related to blogging……I am having some very frustrating issues with my computer not allowing to me to open and read a number of my favorite blogs. This is the message that pops up when I try to open certain blogs:

Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site.

(blog http: url)
Operation aborted!”

One day I even received the same message for my own blog and wasn’t able to read it! gah!

After doing some research, and along with my twinling Jax’s help, we discovered that certain widgets were causing problems. So I went through and removed each widget one by one (copying and pasting to my notepad to reinstall later, just in case that particular widget wasn’t the issue). And after a few minutes, we removed my Amazon Book Shelf widget, and immediately I was able to open my blog page again. Aha! Apparently that particular widget was the trouble maker!

Ok. So I was able to figure it out so I could read my own blog, but I can’t do the same thing for my favorite blogs. See my dilemma? I really want to visit my favorite blogs, but can’t. I’m stuck. If anyone has any great ideas (and not too technical), let me know.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

During our arctic blast with the nasty sub-zero temps, I was able to cuddle up and finish my latest knitting project for Gail of At the Farm . I call this design Confetti Cactus….for obvious reasons.

IMG_7975

Of course, this cactus is not covered in thorns, but is thick, soft and fuzzy. I blended a turquoise colored mohair/wool yarn with a multi-colored eyelash style yarn. I also added a narrow brim at the bottom to corral some of the ticklish eyelashes. (You can also lightly trim them, too)

IMG_7980 

Sure hope you like it, Gail. I’ll get it out in the mail next week!

We have another storm bearing down on us from Canada. Thankfully without those freezing temperatures from the last storm, but we are expecting more snow. Everyone stay warm and safe!



17 comments :

Dan and Betty said...

Can't help you on the technical end. Tuesday and Wednesday we may have some more bitter cold and snow.

Winter's not over yet.

Dan

Jeni said...

I know some of the widgets are not friendly so I've been careful. I've also experienced the "blog is not available" messages if I go directly to a post instead of the blog address.

Please let me know via email if you ever have issues with my blog.

Stay WARM! I saw little booties for puppy paws and thought of your Dobbie girl ! wonder if she would keep them on?

Louise said...

Try switching to Firefox as your browser (I think that's the right term). That's the browser that I use and I'm not having any trouble. Plus, with Firefox, you're less vulnerable to viruses.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I second what Louise said. You can download and install Mozilla Firefox for free. I'm in the habit of using it, because IE often throws up annoying error messages and tries to download stuff or search for stuff when I don't want it to. You could also use Google Chrome or Safari browsers.

Deb said...

I had problems with your blog for quite awhile..would get that same message..it even was removed from my favorites list...finally have it back...crazy stuff..no problems with anyone elses..I thought maybe I had gotten blocked..

jane augenstein said...

Lisa, I agree with the others about Mozilla Firefox. I have that and love it, explorer, I do not like at all!!!
Love the hat, it does look like a cactus, good name too!
hugs....
jane

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

OH my goodness! Oh my goodness!!! I'm so happy!

I downloaded Firefox and now I. Am. Able. To. Finally. Visit. My. Favorite. Blogs. Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to everyone how suggested Firefox!!!!

So, very happy!!!!!

~Lisa

Dreaming said...

Wow, glad that Firefox was a fix. I use it all the time. For a while I could only comment on some sites using IE, and I just couldn't navigate through it without getting frustrated. Then I realized that if I allowed cookies I could comment on other's sites. Hooray - I can stay with my tried and true Firefox!
I hate technology when it gets 'over my head' and, with the speed with which it changes, that happens with greater frequency. Ugh!
Technology is supposed to make things faster and less painful. Yesterday we made a huge purchase and then realized there was an error in it. They had to 'return' the purchase. It took over an hour!!! They had to do it in pieces, they had to call their IT department, they had to get overrides from everyone, except Obama. What a fiasco. In the good old days, they could have just ripped up the invoice, or the could have simply written VOID on it. Arghh!

colleen said...

I too have had problems with a few sites. Unfortunately I have Vista and it won't let me use Firefox. Some sort of glitch that I in my ignorance cannot figure out.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I've got my girls all blanketed for the night so we probably won't get any snow now.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

No techie help here,barely literate on the puter. Love the hat

Sherry Sikstrom said...

BTW love the song!

Desert Rose said...

I've been gone for a few weeks...how's your family, besides cold??? We have been chilly here ( for PS) but is warming up now! I am looking forward to a great months of rides this month as so far my time here has been interupted so much that I can not get my "groove on"! ;) I do have cousin baby Doll here now and she will ride with me 9 times out 10 this season...woo hoo my own PONY cousin!!! lOVED THE NEW HAT!!!!!!!

Gail said...

Oh, Lisa, that is so amazingly beautiful!

It brought tears to my eyes, not the hat, but the fact that I am going to receive something made especially for me with your own kind hands.

Thank you!

I have been having trouble with my email. I was able to click on the sender or even the post mentioned as a shortcut to their blog or the post to which they were referring. It pops us a message that says can't go there(not those exact words).

I guess this computer dummy will have to live with it. I have no brilliant helper like Jax.

Once again, thank you, from the bototm of my heart.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Also wanted to say- very cool hat. It DOES look like a cactus! And I'll bet it's so soft and warm like mine (thanks, again)

Rising Rainbow said...

I'm no help with technical stuff either. I'm doing good just to get my blog puslished and the term widget scares me. LOL

The hat looks very cool! Gail must be thrilled.

Maery Rose said...

I love the hat! I've just got whatever browser came with my Mac, which works fine. I hear that Firefox is better but I'm afraid to mess with something that isn't broke.