Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Chicken Photo Shoot

 

 

A couple days ago, my daughter, Jen asked me if we could do a special photo shoot with her chickens. She also surprised me by insisting that we share the photos on our blog. Sounded like fun to me. Who am I to say No?

Chickens are a whole lot of fun to cuddle and be entertained by, which makes them perfect subjects for photography. And Jen takes the best care of her chickens, feeding them and gathering their eggs every day and keeping them tame and friendly. And of course, they all adore her.

Jen feels that every one of our chickens deserves a place in the spotlight, at least for a day.

So we made sure to include our entire flock in the photo taking. So without further ado……….

We introduce you to:

1)Barred Rock Betty and 2)Rhode Island Red Rita

These two ladies are from our first batch of chicks and are now almost 4 years old. They are best friends and are often seen sprawled out in the sun together.

IMG_9615

3)Ameracauna Angelina Ballerina

This sweet lady is also from our first batch of chickens and is a treasured pet of Jen. Angelina is the dainty, pretty lady of the flock. She also gives us lovely light blue eggs.

IMG_9606

4)Ameracauna Fertile Myrtle

Myrtle is also from our original flock and is a treasured hen because of her propensity for giving us bomb size eggs and many double and triple yolkers. 

IMG_9617

 

5)Golden-laced Polish Phyllis Diller

Phyllis is just over 3 years old and is the flock Diva. Hardly a day goes by that she doesn’t make us laugh with her haughty and silly antics.

IMG_9622

7)Speckled Sussex Spotty Dotty

Dotty is like the flock’s Great Aunt, at almost 4 years old she is kind, gentle, quiet, and loving. She follows us all around like a loyal and devoted puppy. She hops up into Jen’s lap whenever she sits down. I could have an entire flock of Spotty Dotties and life would be good.

IMG_9602

 

8)Japanese Silkie Rooster Mr. Cotton

Mr. Cotton is our lone rooster and we love him. He’s gentle, kind and doesn’t mind affection and hugs (too much). He’s also a very quiet crower, of which we are all very grateful.

IMG_9629

9)Japanese Silkie Hen Mrs. Cotton

Mrs. Cotton, arrived with Mr. Cotton, just over 3 years ago. She is the Nanny of the coop. She wants nothing more in life than to raise a brood of chicks. She is often found inside the nest box watching over her flock mate’s eggs. The rest of the flock thinks she’s a little batty for wanting chicks all the time and tend to boss her around and pick on her sometimes. She doesn’t mind, she just goes back to the nest box and waits.

IMG_9636

10)Buff Orpington Matilda

Matilda is a year old and a large young lady. I like to think of her as the debutante who likes to hang out in her Sorority club, which includes her friends Liza Minelli and Pat Benatar.

IMG_9664

11)Black Sex-Link Liza Minelli

Liza Minelli, a year old, is one of the Sorority club members and has a tendency to think she is better than the rest of her flock mates. She is a hottie and knows it. And she loves lots of attention and to be admired.

IMG_9760

12)Silver-laced Wyandotte Suzy

Suzy is one of our original flock and at almost 4 years old is a respected and sweet bird. I like to think of her as the Granny of the flock and she is very kind, gentle and has a very wise look to her face. I love to photograph her.

IMG_9709

13)Brown Leghorn Brownie

Brownie is also a long time established member of the original flock and is a bit flighty. It’s difficult to get photos of her because she is in perpetual motion. She also has the largest comb of all the ladies and used to get frost bite on her comb every year until we learned to coat her comb with vaseline.

IMG_9781

14)Golden-laced Polish/Japanese Silkie Pat Benatar

Pat is one of the Sorority club members and is a year old. She was one of the chicks born here and is a daughter of our bad boy rooster, Sid Vicious, who sunk a spur into my arm last year. She is much sweeter than he was, though. She likes attention, but always seems to be doing something very important with her Sorority sisters.

IMG_9694

15)Welsumer Wanda

Wanda is just over 2 years old and lays the darkest prettiest eggs along with her sister Rosa. She and Rosa love to explore together and are often seen wandering a little too far for our comfort. She and Rosa remind me of intrepid explorers, who always want to see what’s around the next tree and over the next hill.

IMG_9740

16)Welsumer Rosa

Rosa is a year old and Wanda’s sister. She has an adventurous spirit and enjoys going off by herself or with her sister to the edges of our property to explore. Rosa has given us a fright a number of times at night when we thought a coyote or owl might have gotten her, only to find her roosting in a tree. She’s our only chicken that seems to like roosting in a tree and if I could give Rosa a fitting persona it would have to be Amelia Earhart.

IMG_9793

Jen and I hope you all enjoyed getting to know all of the members of our flock family.

Bawk Bawk!



25 comments :

Barb said...

Haven't visited your blog for a while, shame on me. Love the chickens!! And your daughter is so proud of them - just delightful.

Reddunappy said...

That is great!!! LOL Good call Jenna!!! Love the photo shoot!!

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

Please tell Jen that I think she is an amazing caretaker of the chickens. Your names and descriptions tell quite a story. I love my chickens too and think it would be wonderful to have Jen around to help me care for them. She is really growing up, I can see how her face has changed since I first started reading. Great post.

lytha said...

your daughter is lovely, i worry about her eyes getting pecked out with those dangerous beaks so close. i have chicken-fear.

i love how jen's hair hangs almost but not quite IN her eyes. makes me wanna do that with my hair.

small farm girl said...

Loved it! Your girls are lovely. Those with feathers and the one without. lol

Gail said...

There were chickens?? I was just busy looking at that angel face, Jen!

Jen, you have such a beautiful flock and they surely have a loving human.

Deb said...

what a nice post idea...great job Jen...I loved learning about each and everyone of the group..and you make such a great model....

colleen said...

I didn't realise you had so many chickens! How cute and individual they all are. Kudos to Jen for taking such good care of them!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Such variety, and Jen is such a talented and patient model to go through all those chickens. It looks like the sun was setting by the time you got done with your photo shoot.

Sandy ~~~ said...

OMG...what a beautiful photo essay of your flock! I can't pick out a favorite..except for the little model holding them all. What a darling!

Mikey said...

Awww, what a beautiful girl, and I love all the chickens too! I'm glad she takes such good care of them, that's very important!!
Great post, I liked it very much :)

DesertHen said...

I loved meeting every one of your chickens! You have a beautiful flock! Jen had a wonderful idea and I'm so glad you shared the photo shoot with us all!

Dan and Betty said...

Super idea. Great photos. Jen is growing into a beautiful young woman - looks like her mom.

Dan

Ed said...

Fantastic shots, I really like the one of Jen and Pat Benatar. Just an idea, let Jen take some pics and see if she takes to photography, I bet she has a great view of the land..:-))

Jeni said...

Those pictures are precious, but I think my favorite is Jen with Pat Banitar !! I LOVE that one!

lisa said...

Jen sure has a very nice looking flock! Jen, you are a very pretty young lady!

StefRobrts said...

Very cute! I love how much your daughter loves her chickens :) You have such a fun variety of birds, many I've never seen anything like them!

AareneX said...

Awesome chooks! Awesome-er child!

Horses Are Our Lives said...

cuddle with a chicken? Jen actually does! I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it. Great shots.

Paint Girl said...

Awesome chicken photo shoot! You have some very beautiful chickens! I always love reading your chicken posts, it's so much fun! There are some really cool chickens out there!
Looks like Jen enjoyed the photo shoot as well!! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea, Jen! I had no idea chickens came in so many different colors and breeds. Thank you so much for showing us your beautiful pets!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Great photo shoot! Jenna looks so sweet. Looking at the photos it must have taken a while to catch all those chickens one or two at a time- the sun is going down.

Achieve1dream said...

Fun photo shoot! I wish I could get back down to a small enough flock to name them and get to know their personalities again. I miss that. :) Great photos!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

FV,
Thanks. It was fun. We would have finished earlier in the day but kept getting interrupted by the washing machine repairman, 2 visitors, and having to cook and eat meals. lol!
Haven't seen you around for a while. Hope all is well.

~L

Celeste said...

Adorable post. I didn't realise you had so many chickens and they are all so beautiful.
Great job Jen for taking such good care of them :)