A few weekends ago Jax and Jem went to a Civil War Re-enactment weekend down in Socorro, NM with their Boy Scout Troop. Ranchman John went too, and was excited to be invited to participate as a Re-enactor in the New Mexico Civil War events that happen throughout the state. He’s a huge history buff and has always enjoyed visiting Civil War Battlefields, especially in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania.
These are the photos he took with his cell phone and asked me to share on my blog.
Ranchman John was especially impressed with the Mounted Cavalry and how calm and desensitized the horses were to the popping gunfire and loud booming cannon fire. He also knew I’d enjoy seeing the horses, so he made sure to take plenty of photos of them.
He was especially fond of this friendly horse and wanted to take him home.
11 comments :
My first Civil War Reenactment I attended was in Wilson Creek near Springfield, Missouri. I was forever hooked after that.
I was lucky, for a time, Andrew was also interested in such things and we traveled to many.
Arkansas had many skirmishes throughout the state, one was local(Lunenburg) and we were thrilled to witness that reenactment last year.
It is an honor to participate in history. Thank you, Ranchman John.
I love it that he took so many pictures and thought of your blog! They came out really nice. Good work, Ranchman John.
I have never been a participant, but there were many reenactments near us in SC. We used to go visit. It really would 'take me back in time' when we did.
Great pictures for a cell phone camera. I've never been to a reenactment, but we've lived places where we could visit different Civil War battlefields - Shiloh in Tennessee, Gettysburg in Pennsylvania, etc.
Dan
Those things always look like so much fun. You get to learn more about history, and, ride horses too!
Way cool! A lot of civil war enactments are done up around this area, in PA especially!
WHat a wonderful adventure!! so nice the Ranchman John got to go as well.And what a great guy participating in the blog taking photos for al of us! Thanks for sharing, both of you !
Very cool pictures! My husband would have loved to go to that! He's a huge history buff too.
Ed is a Civil War buff, he would have loved to see this. I've told him many times he could teach it in school. :)
First off I'm totally JEALOUS!!! Cuddos to John, his cell phone takes fantastic shots. I hope the boys learned alot, I myself am a history nut and try to get to as many historical sites as possible in my travels..:-))
Both hubby and son are former mounted cavalry members of a unit in Washington State. Usually there were a good 20 - 30 horses on the battlefield and more than 200 infantry. It makes for a quiet horse pretty quickly...or a big wreck!
Post a Comment