I just have to share something terrible and tragic with everyone.
Our dear, sweet British friend from Wales, who was staying with us the past 4 days, tried to fly out of Albuquerque today with my husband, Ranchman John so they could visit a mutual friend in Florida on Monday.
I took this photo just before they left for the airport.
This kind, gentle man is over 70 years old, works for the BBC and has been asked to be Chaplain for the next World Olympics. He is a devoted and loving husband, married for over 40 years, a caring Grandfather and a Great Grandfather, too, and he has no criminal record at all. Not even a parking ticket.
My own kidlets adore him. And he has the patience of a saint.
Guess what they made this poor man do as he went through security?
They pulled him aside and took him to a private room where he was forced to succumb to a strip
Can you imagine?!
He was almost in tears! He was so humiliated and felt so degraded and disrespected. It was akin to the way the Jews were treated in a Nazi war camp!
And to add insult to injury, because of the undue harassment, he missed his flight and now has to sit in the airport all day, with his painful back, waiting to leave on the red eye flight tonight. John offered to bring him back here to spend the day, but he did not want to have go back through security again, and another possible humiliating strip search tonight.
And do you know what this wonderful, gentle man did after he got over the shock, embarrassment, and humiliation of being strip searched and having to miss his flight?
He sat down with a calming cup of tea and prayed for everyone involved: the rude and insensitive security officers, the rough and scary police officer, even the terrorists that caused all of this fear and disruption to our daily lives.
Robin and I are both avid tea drinkers and enjoyed having a bit of tea every afternoon.
And do you know why this terrible experience happened to Robin?
He was wearing a “suspect-looking” back support belt because Robin suffers from a painful lower back due to the invasive cancer, that almost took his life last year. And of course, he carries a foreign passport.
This was taken this morning at 7am, hence the sleepy faces on my twinlings.
This is the main reason I avoid flying anymore.
I worked for the airlines for 10 years and my husband still does, and my family flies for free, but flying is not fun anymore. There is no sense of freedom. We are treated like cattle, passing through meat inspection.
And who do we have to thank for this injustice?
We all like to believe we have our full freedom, but the terrorists have obviously taken it.
24 comments :
that is such a shame...I know they pulled my Mom aside in New Jersey once...and spent 30 minutes going over her...found nothing...of course and let her go...then the ones they should be watching pass right through...
Oh, I am so sorry for your friend! It must have been horrible for him to have to submit to such scutiny in a foreign (for him) land. Bless him for showing his faith and praying for all those people. He even looks a gentle man to a stranger. Know you all enjoyed his company. Hopefully, that was the last he had to go through before he got home.
Blessings!
CottonLady
I'm with you. I don't fly any more and this is one of the prime reasons. The humiliation that they put innocent people through is horrible. I think that some of the people who are charged with this duty enjoy inflicting these insults. They are drunk on their own power. Funny how the Israelis can do a much better job without degrading the passengers on their planes.
It is a shame. Even though the terrorists are the instigators, in my humble opinion the culprits are our politically correct bureaucrats who won't use any common sense.
Dan
Oh,Lisa,that is just AWFUL! And these dumb=dumbs at the security strip search 80 year old grandmas, but allowed Saudis with box cutters onto Flight 93??? I mean, I hate to say it, but if it LOOKS like a terrorist, acts like a terrorist, then...DUH...it probably IS a terrorist! NOT 80 year old grandmas or gray-haired men with back problems! (...shaking head...)
I'm so sorry for what your friend went through, especially in light of the fact that he sounds like a wonderful person. I imagine it was a surprise to all around when he remained calm and offered Prayer. As long as we have people with dignity & class such as your friend the terrorist won't win. Hats off to him.
Lisa
That is a crying shame! That is awful that your friend had to go through this. Unfortunately, there comes a time when we are forced to fly..too bad. Thanks for sharing we can all become aware of what is really going on.
Take care,
B
That is awful Lisa, I feel very sorry for your dear friend and I agree with Cheryl Ann's comments, how may terrorist have gotten through ???
Send on our thoughts and prayers to your kind friend.
x0x0x0x0
Would you share our sympathies with Robin? He's such a wonderful man to sit down and pray for others, instead of chewing on his anger and frustration. What a great role model (and great representative for Britain!)
I'll have to keep his example in mind when Miss Chef and I go on our trip this summer!
That is just horrible, but as you say now that the terrorists have ruined it for us you really do have to be careful with everyone. I hate to fly and I don't unless it is absolutely necessary. I would rather drive and stay in my home country than go out of it. I hope he makes it home without anymore problems!
That's terrible. I'm so disgusted at what we've become; Politically correct wimps.
We won't fly for this very reason anymore. A fellow home schooler wrote about her three year old nephew with down syndrome getting a very invasive pat down, disgusting! They should be ashamed of themselves. My grandma is coming to visit soon and I worry about her with this. She has a prosthetic breast due to cancer and apparently that gets you an automatic search. But so many say "it's no big deal, if that keeps us safe" What?? Are you kidding me? Why don't we just bug all phone calls and put video cameras in our homes with that ridiculous mindset.
That is so sad. What has this country came to. :o(
What a wonderful man to sit down to pray for everyone after that! Maybe we need more prayer and less harrassment in this world to make it right again because what we are doing now sure isn't working. Last time we flew to Florida my son was 11 and had his ticket was flagged for him to be searched. My husband went with him since he was a minor...when they patted his bum he farted on them!! My husband thought they were both going to get arrested but the guy laughed and said he probably deserved it for searching a little kid.
Unbelievable. That poor man. I didn't realize they actually did strip searches. That is just unreal.
That is terrible! And to make him miss his flight on top of it! I agree with what the others said. The ones in charge have no common sense. Imagine doing that to a three-year-old child with Downs Syndrome. Com'on! You're right. Flying is not fun anymore and I avoid it any way I can.
...and I am sure no apologies were given!
I am so sorry he had to experience this.
What a terrible ordeal for your lovely friend to go through. he was a saint to behave the way he did during this most disrepectful time. I do need to travel by air at least 6 to 8 times a year. Some airports are better than others...I gladly give up my person discomfort to insure that the planes are safe...but it is a choice and I understand why some people are just NOT comfortable with it. I am NOT predijuce...but here is one area I think racial profiles are A O KAY!!!
This kind of things make me so mad!!!!!!
Now that is a real pisser, its a shame this is what travel has become. At least you got to enjoy another cup of tea with him..:-)
This is so sad!! I don't know what is happening to our country. Sometimes I do believe the terrorists have won!! Shame on us.
That makes me very, very sad. :( Should NOT have happened.
Aw man...... I don't even know what to say to that.... a strip search. I've been patted, and felt but never asked to remove any clothes. Robin is the right kind of Christian - good for him.
It says so much more about the kindness and forgiveness in this mans heart that he prayed for the people who caused such an insult to his person. Truly and man of faith and who lives it daily. I hope he has a pleasant remainder of his journey .
I can't believe they did a strip search. They didn't need to go to that extreme. I have mixed feelings about the security at the airport. It seems that it's necessary (but not strip searches when they have x-ray machines and metal detectors). But like you, I hate flying now, which is why I'm trying to figure out how to do road trips but then gas and hotel are more expensive than flying. Frustrating.
Post a Comment