Friday, April 8, 2011

Gone With The Wind!!

 

That’s where I’ll be all weekend long.

Gone With The Wind!

Along with my hubby Ranchman John and my twinling son Jax, we are going to be helping out during this weekend’s ACTHA Competitive Trail Rides over at Walkin N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue on the famous King Ranch.

I typically either work as an obstacle judge or I ride. But this weekend I was asked to be the Official Ride Photographer instead. Surprisingly I’m not disappointed about not being able to ride, because I love to take photos, especially of riders and their horses, as I know how wonderful it is for us horse riders to have photos of ourselves riding and spending time with our special horses. Just like Moms who are always behind the camera taking photos of our kidlets, it’s sometimes nice to be in front of the camera, too.

The other reason why I’m not down about not getting the opportunity to ride this weekend is that the weather is supposed to be a wild tempest this weekend with fierce winds and gusts up to 60 mph, possible rain or snow and maybe even thunderstorms. Whoooeee! 

You’d have to be a die-hard to ride in weather like that. And apparently there are quite a few die-hards because our ride roster each day is close to 30 riders and their horses!

Today was a sunny beautiful day, except for the wind. Ranchman John and I drove over to WNCR today to help set up, pick up the obstacle list and get the lay of the land so I can plan where I want to be to get some great photos during the ride on Saturday. We also drove the Mule tractor around picking up trash, so Ranchman John could get a feel for the Mule’s fickle personality. We had lots of fun racing around, but Boy Howdy! That wind was crazy! And today is much milder in wind speeds, with gusts of only 25-35 mph, than tomorrow is supposed to be!

Should be interesting!

Saturday’s theme is from the movie “Gone With The Wind” and all of the volunteers will be dressing in Civil War era costumes. Ranchman John’s friend, who is a Civil War Re-enactor, was kind enough to loan us an official re-enactor Confederate Soldier uniform and weapon. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to find one that fit Ranchman John, but it did fit our twinling Jax pretty good.

IMG_9905

I’m dressing as a Southern Belle with a costume I made using some pieces I bought while volunteering at the Hug a Horse Thrift Store recently. I even have a fancy white hat covered in flowers, too. I told Ranchman John he could wear a suit and I could paint his face brown and he could be my chauffer, like the movie “Driving Miss Daisy”. lol!

IMG_9909

He’s not too keen on the idea, but I’m still trying to talk him into wearing a nice suit, like a typical Southern Gentleman.

I can be Scarlett O'Hara and he can be my Rhett Butler! *big grin*

Sunday’s ACTHA ride is called “Gone With The Wind TOO!” and is even more ‘Wind Themed’. All of us volunteers will be wearing anything that has to do with wind, like wind-breakers, kites, wind chimes, wind blown hair, whirl-a-gigs and pin wheels, etc. And you can bet that I have some crazy fun costumes planned for all 3 of us to wear that day. Oh yeah!

(You can read more about each day’s ride by clicking on the direct links for upcoming ACTHA Rides over on my sidebar.)

I’m also doing things a little bit different in regards to the photography. The previous photographer for WNCR’s ACTHA rides would take photos, watermark each of them, and then post them online and have people cherry pick the photos they wanted to buy. Then people would just send in donations to WNCR for the photos they chose.

I’m going to be taking the photos during each day’s ride, and then coming back to WNCR ranch’s headquarters, burning all of the photos onto CDs and then selling the CDs after each day’s ride. I am hoping to take between 75-130 photos per day.

And at least for this weekend’s rides, I’m not planning on water-marking them or laying claim to any of these photos for future use. Once the CD is paid for, the photos belong to the buyer.

What do you all think of the price charged per CD? Fair? Or not?

By the way, don’t you all just love this sweet Mammie Doll I happened to find recently at the Hug a Horse Thrift Store while I was working?

IMG_9915

I think this will work better for the riders, too, because I know how I am with patience, and when I competed in previous ACTHA rides I didn’t particularly like having to wait a week or two (or even longer) to be able to see the photos, then wait for the photos I chose to be sent to me via e-mail so I could finally share them with my friends and family.

It will also be more beneficial for me, as well as the Horse Rescue because a portion of the proceeds will be going back to me to help pay for my supplies and time and a portion will go to WNCR to help care for the horses. But we won’t have to wait for the money to come in for many weeks afterwards if I collect it the same weekend of the trail rides.

(The CDs aren’t inside these sleeves yet because I’ll be burning them after tomorrow’s ride)

IMG_9918

So, I hope it all works out. Jen has been helping me decorate the multi-colored paper CD sleeves using horse stamps, so the CDs are fun to look at, too. And I practiced burning some CDs last week with the 90+ photos I took from the Halloween ACTHA rides last October when I was a judge.

IMG_9913

I managed to take photos from two obstacles (the Noise Obstacle and the Slicker/Hat Obstacle), as well as photos of each group of riders that showed up at my obstacles. This is also what I have in mind to do for each day of this weekend’s rides, as well. Photograph at least two obstacles each day and shoot group photos each day.

IMG_9911

The Halloween CDs turned out really well and I’ll be selling those, too, for those folks that were at that weekend’s rides but never managed to get any photos. 

I’ve got everything planned out and prepared for each day and I’ve got my two assistants along to help when I need it.

And hopefully we don’t all get blown away by the wind!

I hope everyone has a terrific weekend!



11 comments :

Dan and Betty said...

Sounds like fun for you. I think your price is about right.

If you're going to be a Southern Belle, then be the best - be Scarlett O'Hara.

Also don't forget what GRITS means - Girls Raised In The South.

Dan

StefRobrts said...

I think that's a really neat idea, and I'll bet you'll bring in more money because people can get them right then and there. Nice that you're not watermarking them or any of that stuff, just let people buy the photos and support a good cause, I think that's a real value to the people on the ride. They can go home and be sharing pictures on FB that evening, and spreading the word about the horse rescue :)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sounds good, and like you will have a good time too. Price seems fair to me. ANd its going to a good cause as well

Reddunappy said...

Cant wait to see some of the photos!! The price sounds good to me too.
I am at such a conflict, I have an opportunity to ride in a trail course, not ACtHA but for a good cause, and it is the same day as my husbands nieces wedding. I really dont know what to do. We are not close to them at all, I havnt even spoken to her in years.
Hubby may be upset if I dont go to the wedding? Sigh, how selfish do I be?? I dont know what to do.

Vaquerogirl said...

Have a great time. Can't wait to see what you post after the ride!

Ed said...

Have fun, hope ya have a ball..no pun intended..:-))

Gail said...

Wonderful plan and so glad most of the family will be able to join you. Have fun and don't forget to share some of your amazing pictures with us.

Achieve1dream said...

Very cool! You sound so organized lol. I'd be a mess. I like the idea of selling the CDs. Have fun and I can't wait to see some pictures. :)

Vicki said...

Although you'll be busy this weekend, please consider takibng a visit to Albuquerque soon to see Sandia Park artist Alma Qillian's latest sweet donkey, goat, rabbit, llama, etc. paintings...her beautiful work is at Cravin' Cookies...and More. I put her work on my blog today: http://theuniversesmiles.blogspot.com/2011/04/please-support-this-local-artist-and.html

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

What fun! Let us know how the CD approach works out. I think you could charge way more considering that they get all the photos and one 8x10 usually costs more than that. Also, thank you for putting my book on your sidebar!

DesertHen said...

I love that they hold theme rides! How fun is that!!

You had a great idea on burning those photos to disk and making them available right away...nice thinking! =)