Sunday, June 5, 2011

Fire, Smoke and Injury ~ “Smoke gets in our Skies”

 

Our usual New Mexico bright blue skies have been hazy and grey this past week. I have been suffering from a dry, scratchy throat, watery itchy eyes, and have been feeling very tired and out of breath. I could smell smoke in the air and knew that New Mexico has been dealing with wildfires all over the state, but I just figured my symptoms were allergy or sinus related.

Nope.

New Mexico’s air quality is seriously suffering right now due to wildfires in eastern Arizona.

This is just a powerful reminder that what happens to our neighbors in other states, and even in other countries, may seem far away and apart from our own daily lives, but we should always remember that we are all affected by their experiences and tragedies in some way and at some time.

~~~~~~~~~~~ 

“A wildfire burning in eastern Arizona near the town of Alpine has grown to over 140,000 acres. There are reportedly 1,089 personnel on scene at the Wallow Fire as of Saturday morning. The Eastern Arizona Incident Management Team said Saturday morning the perimeter of the fire is near Nutrioso and Mongollon rim.

fire2

Areas that have been evacuated include Alpine, Nutrioso, Hannagan Meadow Lodge, Sprucedale Guest Ranch, Brentwood Church Camp, Hannagan campground, KP campground, West Fork Black River campground, and East Fork Black River campground, according to the Incident website.

fire3

The Apache National Forest has been temporarily closed due to extreme fire conditions. As of 1 p.m. Friday, the fire was at the edge of Alpine. A Verizon tower and radio repeater were damaged, along with a utility trailer and outbuilding in Alpine.

Officials said the fire has cost $3 million to fight so far. The fire remains zero-percent contained as of Saturday morning. The U.S. Forest Service said Friday that four summer rental cabins burned in the Wallow wildfire, which was consuming dead and dry trees and brush in the White Mountains near the New Mexico border.

Map picture

Smoke from the fire that started nearly a week ago is being carried all the way to Albuquerque, New Mexico, some 200 miles away.

The U.S. Forest Service says the Wallow Fire is the third largest wildfire in state history. The biggest, the Rodeo-Chediski, burned 469,000 acres in 2002 and the Cave Creek complex fire burned 248,000 acres in 2005.

The Wallow fire just surpassed the Willow fire, which burned 120,000 acres in 2004. This fire is over 15 miles long and 5 miles wide and only 10 miles from Luna, New Mexico. And wind speeds were still 40 mph as of midnight last night.

fire1

(Volunteers are handling phones at the White Mountain Joint Information Center. Anyone looking for information should call 928-333-3412)

You can watch the News Video with this link:

Arizona Fires

~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course New Mexico is very concerned about the smoke that is blowing our way:

The following updated message is transmitted at the request of the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, the New Mexico Department of Health, as well as the city of Albuquerque’s Air Quality Division.

The Wallow fire near Alpine, Arizona grew significantly on Thursday June 2nd, producing an extensive and far reaching plume of smoke across western and northern New Mexico. The smoke locally dense in areas, reached as far east as the Rio Grande Valley in Albuquerque, over 200 miles away(!!!) .

Map picture

Over the past couple of days the fire has grown to over 140 thousand acres. Persistent southwest winds of 30-45 mph has aided in the transport of an
extensive smoke plume from Arizona across much of central and western New Mexico.

The pattern over the past couple of days has been for smoke to disperse during the day due to mixing of the lower atmosphere followed by a more dense smoke that takes shape beneath a boundary layer inversion that typically sets up at night. The inversion has been more pronounced within the Rio Grande Valley where smoke gets trapped in the valley causing visibilities to drop below two miles at times. Winds aloft will be more southerly during the day which will keep dense smoke and poor visibilities over Grants and points north and then shifting to the southwest or west later today and tonight which may shift the smoke plume back into the Albuquerque and Santa Fe areas.

(I took this photo on Sunday while out with Val of Fantastyk Voyage participating in the East Mountain Fiber Farm Tour. Notice how hazy and ‘flat with low visibility, our normally bright blue New Mexico Skies are)

IMG_2490

Those with respiratory illnesses or issues should avoid using their swamp coolers and should stay indoors.  Estimates of the air quality can be determined using the visibility. If smoke reduces visibility to 3 to 5 miles, the air quality is unhealthy for sensitive people. Visibilities of less than two and one half miles are associated with unhealthy conditions for all.

I checked our New Mexico Environmental Air Quality Website for our current air quality and discovered ours was in the Unhealthy Range, which warns “People with heart or lung disease, older adults, and children should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion. Everyone else should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion.”

(By the way everyone can check the current air quality for their own state on this website AIRNow.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, perhaps I should have abstained from my prolonged and heavy exertion on Friday and I wouldn’t have gotten injured. I was trimming limbs off our juniper trees and at one point was cutting a smaller branch which was located in an awkward area to reach, when the saw bounced off and sliced into my finger, not once, not twice, but three times. Ouch!!!

I immediately went into the house for a towel and to rinse it off and I felt sick when noticed how deep and wide the saw had cut my index finger. The layer of skin in the center of the two cuts was loose and at one point, lifted up and stuck to my finger on my opposite hand as I washed the wounds out. Eeeek!

(WARNING!!!!! GRAPHIC PHOTOS BELOW!!!)

****

****

****

****

****

****

****

IMG_2401

Thankfully the cut on the top of thumb was very minor, but it still hurt. I held my index finger in a towel for about 30 minutes, applying firm pressure, both to make sure the cuts had stopped bleeding and also because I just wasn’t ready to deal with looking at the gaping wounds yet. I probably should have went in and had a few stitches, but wasn’t up for needles and a lengthy emergency room visit.  And I also wasn’t sure they could even stitch them up because of that thin sliver of loose skin in between the two cuts.

IMG_2406

So, instead I just dressed the wounds myself and found a popsicle stick in my craft supplies to use as a splint because the wounds are right beside a joint and will never heal if I bend that knuckle.

It’s not pretty, but it works well to keep my finger immobile, which is especially helpful because, whenever I bend that finger it feels like it’s ripping apart….Very painful!

And that’s not all. I also got a blister on my right thumb. I popped it last night, but it’s pretty sore, too.

And having an unusable index finger sure makes it slow and difficult to type on the keyboard. Thank goodness for spell-check or my words would be impossible to figure out.

IMG_2407

Well, I was planning on working on my vegetable garden over the weekend. I was hoping to set up the water irrigation system and finally do some planting, but with the lung-irritating smoke from the Arizona wildfires, the 30-40 mph wind gusts, the dust and sand storms, the terrible drought, and now my wounded finger, the chips we’re stacked against me for doing any work outside.

Whatever happened to Spring? And when will our beautiful summer days arrive? What if this crazy abnormal weather is all we get this year?






18 comments :

Dom said...

OMG!!! The finger photos... omg. Ouch!

The fires are scary too.

Anonymous said...

Ow! Ow! Ow! That finger looks painful! Hope it heals up OK.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Thanks for the Arizona wildfire information. The smokey skies sure are terrible. I've been coughing for days now.

Okay, now that's a graphic photo! Yuk!!

Thanks for going with me on the fiber tour. It was interesting and fun. I lved all the goats with their slanted pupil eyes. Too bad it didn't rain, huh?

Maery Rose said...

Thanks for the fire information. It's been hard to figure out what's going on even though I have a sister who's been evacuated. People in the area are having a hard time finding out if/when they can go home. I suppose no one knows for sure. My sister left with her dogs and one of the fire fighters gave her his room (she'd spent one night sleeping in her car). The sheriff got her horses to safety but her mule got away, only to be found by a neighbor and he's safe now too. I hope the fire is under control soon!

And sorry about your finger. That looks painful!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Hope the air clears soon and the fires are under control quicky as well, We have had some bad ones here , 1 devastating and entire town Slave Lake. Fort Mac is 5 hours drive , but we often hget the smoke here form those fires.That cut looks bad girl! take care!

Paint Girl said...

I am so sorry about your finger! That looks so painful!
Thanks for the fire information. I didn't realize how bad it was down there. That is very scary!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Yikes! Those look like bad cuts. Looks like it is going to be very uncomfortable to bend that finger for awhile. Nice splint job. I hope you heal soon. Yes...stay indoors, put your feet up, enjoy a cool beverage, and read a good book...but beware of paper cuts.

We've also had hazy skies in Colorado due to the Arizona fires. The smoke made for an incredible sunset with deep blues and orange this evening. Amazing how far it travels. Must be unbearable in the fire region.

Caitlin said...

I'm currently here in New Mexico with ya and very worried about the fires. One hit here in Ruidoso not too long ago and I can still see the burned trees on the hill across town from us. Scary stuff in a state as dry as this one. I came here this week on vacation planning on hiking and camping a lot but have had to motify a lot of my plans. No camping/hiking in Gila National Forest, too close to the fire for comfort and breathable air. Some folks we encountered in Albequeque were telling us we'd just end up with a layer of ash on us. No fun. Hopefully it's contained soon enough and won't pose anything more than an annoyance for you.

Btw, I think I brought the rain with me. Since we got into town last night its sprinkled twice and is now raining up here in the mountains. Its still dry season though so any rain is pretty awesome, especially on our tin roof!

Mikey said...

Good heavens girl, I hope that gets better soon! Dang it looks painful!
We drove up central AZ today, you wouldn't even know there was a fire. Not a wisp of smoke. It's all blowing your way. I think this year will be bad for fires because the wind hasn't quit blowing for weeks. It's better than it was, but still a lot of wind. That's not an easy area to contain either. I'll be praying for those folks, and you too!

Cheryl Ann said...

Lisa, sorry to hear about your fingers! OUCH! Take care! We are going to the Mogollon Rim in August for 4 nights. We already rented our cabin. It is up by Heber, which is about an hour west of Alpine. There aren't many roads near Alpine and I'm sure that's why the fires are so bad....so sad....

white_lilly said...

ouch! those cuts look nasty. Take care of them and yourself.

My thoughts are with you all, fires are so scarey and unpredictable. I have faced a few fires in my life time the latest was three weeks ago when our house burnt down.
Take care of yourself
x0x0x0x0

Dreaming said...

Oh, ouch! I hate it when I do things like that! My injury involved getting my pinky crushed between the auger and the pallet of hay. The cut wasn't as deep as your's, but it was on both sides of my pinky, near the base... and very hard to bandage!

We have haze from the fires in Parker CO (just southeast of Denver). Forest fires scare me!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Living with smoke in the air is a miserable experience. We had our share of wildfires several years ago during our drought, and had to keep the kids indoors at the schools. After the incident at my house, my real estate agent phoned and said he smelled smoke in my mother's house in California. I freaked! It turned out he was referring to the smell of cigarette smoke.

I also know that finger injuries suck. After burning my finger twice in two weeks, I got an infection under a fingernail. Ouch. Luckily, that cleared up. The theme of this month seems to be fires and fingers.

Ed said...

Ouch! I would have done the same thing, hope you slathered the cuts in neosporin before covering them. The smoke is a pisser but should make for some amazing sunrise shots..:-)

Jeni said...

Geeze Lisa that's some ouchie!!! I would have done the same though - no ER for me. Hope it heals up quickly for you.

I've been watching whatever the media has on the wild fires - they are HORRIBLE. No idea how I would cope with something like that with all my animals.

Tara said...

It isn't just for stitches you should have gone, but what about a tetnus shot?...

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I had a tetanus shot last summer when my horse kicked me in the face.

~Lisa

small farm girl said...

Yes, you probably should have had stitches. But, I understand about going to the er. I HATE going too. Those pictures of the smoke is impressive. I didn't realize how bad it was.