Just a right-place-at-the-right-time kind of photo. And one of my favorites.
I also have a few questions for some tips and advice relating to my ACTHA CTC ride tomorrow (Saturday). The number of horses and riders registered for this ride is now at 83. (gasp!) And I’m just a little nervous because I’ve never ridden with a group that large before, nor have I ever even been anywhere where there were over 80 horses all in one place either. The most I’ve ridden with in an ACTHA ride was about 40 riders and horses.
If this ride is anything like the 3 previous ACTHA rides I’ve ridden in, the organizers, NMMSAR, will have us going out in smaller groups, usually between 5-10 riders each, spaced about 15 minutes apart from the groups in front of, and behind us. I’m going to be riding with 5 good friends that I have ridden with before, and we’re all pretty laid back, so I’m grateful for that.
And to keep me from getting the jitters, I’ve been busy focusing on being prepared and have gotten everything, cleaned/oiled, organized, packed and ready to go, including:
- Coggins paperwork
- money
- grooming supplies
- Sore-No-More
- saddle/blanket
- bridle
- breast collar
- helmet/cover
- halter/lead
- horn bag/cantle bag (Inside: lip balm, sunscreen, lotion, knife, tissues, emergency info. And Gatorade for water bottles)
- slicker (in case it rains)
- hay/hay bag
- water bucket
- muck bucket/manure fork
- horse cookies/apple
- breeches(I wear my cell phone in a case, strapped on my leg)/white shirt/double socks/moleskin (I tend to get blisters)
- half-chaps
- snacks and lunch: granola bars/beef jerky/Pringles/carrots/peppermints (for my nervous upset stomach and maybe a couple for my horse, too)
Did I forget anything?
And if you all have any tips or advice on successfully riding in such a large group, as stress-free and relaxed as possible, I’d be ever so grateful.
I’m also looking for a good song with catchy, easy-to-remember words for me to sing while out on the trail to help me re-focus and relax. I usually sing my own version of the song “Ride Your Pony” or “Jingle Bells”, but would love to sing something new…maybe something my fellow riders could sing with me and not get annoyed? And my horse, too. lol!
Do you sing while riding? And if so, what do you sing?
24 comments :
aww dobbie girl <3
so cute, i really like her
Uh...camera?? If you forget your camera, you will have many unhappy readers. :D
I used to sing "Little Red Corvette" by Prince when I was taking lessons...it fit the trot of my horse perfectly. Maybe you could change the words a little...little paint corvette? ;)
I'd be nervous about 80+ riders and their horses on a trail. Glad you are riding with friends you know.
My advice is BEFORE you hit the trail that you, and your group, have clearly state any "no's" like "no cantering" if no one wants to do it. I would also designate someone to tell an outsider that can't control their horse or upsets one of yours to move on. That way everyone in your group is relaxed and enjoying themselves.
I sing as well, but just nursery rhymes or A B C's. I don't know words to songs enough to sing them.
Put "incase of emergency" numbers on a piece of paper and put in your pocket or slip into your helmet. Also put all your contact and Ranchman's on another piece of paper and put somewhere on Apache where it won't slip out like a saddle bag.
Have FUN !
Hi Lisa. This is what I would add to your list:
-cell phone
-tissues
-lip balm
-sunblock
-Gatorade
Lisa
Funny enough my co-riders and I usually break out into tv theme songs, like Gilligans Island, or the Brady Bunch. Its really fun when you can't really remember the words, and you are all sort of making things up as you go.
You're going to do great on your ride though! Hope you have a wonderful time!
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" is my calm down and focus song. I sing it in my head only, since my voice is, let's just say, not fit for human consumption.
The people who plan these big events know what they're doing. They'll get you going comfortably. So relax and remember that you're there to have a good time.
Somebody already mentioned cell phone - I never ride without mine.
As far as all the horses, the best thing you can do, IMHO, is to ignore them. Focus not on them but on yourself and your horse. As far as you're concerned, the two of you are all alone. It helps to also focus on the course so your horse senses your focus and knows the purpose of being there.
Just have fun.
Dan
My riding instructor told us to sing to relax ourselves while we were riding - it really worked for me! I like to sing old cowboy songs, like 'waiting for a train', but I don't recommend 'oh bury me not', little too depressing. Do you know 'Strawberry Roan'? That song goes on forever! And everyone on horseback ought to know it :D I hope you have a great ride!
I do sing while I am riding alone. To warn any wildlife we are coming and sometimes to relax myself. I sing Happy Birthday and Amazing Grace. Don't know why. I guess the are easy and a good rhythm for riding. Enjoy your ACTHA ride!!
I think you've got it covered :) Just remember to relax and have fun. Big groups are fun to ride with. Can't wait to see the report when you get back.
That is a really big group of people, I'd be nervous too!! But I am sure you will be just fine!
Sounds like you have a great list prepared. I am all about making lists!
I don't sing and ride, because I can't sing at all! If I get nervous I just take myself mentally somewhere else that has good memories for me, it helps prevent an anxiety attack from coming on.
Good luck! I can't wait to read and see all about it!!
My songs:
Home, home on the range
Danny boy
Price tag (I use the acoustic version as my inspiration)
And I make up songs too.
I have found if you hook up with a small herd of horses, generally the horse does fine. They seem to get they are part of the sub group. I've ridden in very big rides and it's worked out just fine, particularly if there are several good quite ones to keep everyone in a good place.
I'll be thinking of you! Have fun!!
Sunscreen!!!
Songs: I'm just about to do a whole post about songs and singing on the trail, but basically I pull stuff out of the Boy Scout Song Book to sing.
Also, if you feel yourself getting tense, YAWN. Yawn repeatedly until you see the riders (and the horses) around you yawning--it's contagious. You cannot tense up and yawn at the same time!
Yes!! Just have fun!!
That sweet mare of yours will take care of you!!
How about "cowgirls dont cry" Brooks and Dun, one of my favorites!!! LOL
OH and the advise I always use, dont put your cell phone on your horse!! Keep it on you person, for obvious reasons!!!(I am not going to say it LO LOL)
The song I sang to my babies and now sing to my horses and dogs is "You Are So Beautiful." It takes a lot of diaphragm control and I always get silly when I sing "...to me." I purposefully sing it in a bad voice because it makes me and others laugh. Good luck on the ride. I'm sure you will be fine.
I have ridden in several large group rides, from 75 to 400. Once the horses are used to the hub bub of 50 of more, the others don't really count much. I sing Happy Trails and good old time hymns.
Haha I used to sing whisky in the jar. Everyone knows it and it's fun.
That is so funny that you ask about singing, now of all times! I have a tendency to carry all my tension in my jaw and tongue, and tonight for the first time I sang while I rode to keep my jaw relaxed. I did it the other day on the tractor too. It works really well. I don't have any great ideas about songs to sing though...
Did you forget a first aid kit for human and horse? Fly spray? I also like to keep a low profile knife in my pocket, not in my saddle bag, in case I need it quick, or I fall and get hung up and have to cut a stirrup leather (I'm a worrier, but I've been briefly hung up in the stirrup before and it scared me a bit).
I've never ridden with that many riders, but I like Jeni's advice for ground rules with your group. Also, don't let any kind of pressure - whether it's peer pressure, fear of being embarrassed, or competitive drive - make you do something that doesn't feel right. You don't seem like the type to give in to that though.
Don't forget to breathe! And have a good time. And of course take pictures to share with us. :)
Bug repellant!!
Oh, not sure if you've heard this safety tip before... have your important info ON YOU and a copy on your horse, in case you get separated. Have your name, a contact name & number and any essential info (ie allergies) A sticker on your helmet, a luggage tag type of thing on a zipper pull or braided into your horses mane.
Songs:
Home on the Range (hahaha big shock coming from me hey? lol)
Better Things To Do by Terri Clark
Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch
You probably won't get these before your ride but I hope they come in handy in the future :)
Horses are herd animals so being in big groups like that is probably more comforting to them than nerve wracking. I'm always amazed at how good the horses are when we go to big shows and there are 50-80 horses all in the arena at the same time and all are just fine.
You are going to do great and have so much fun!!!
Don't forget the bug stuff! Have fun, I think you always end up forgetting something!
love that first photo with horse, dog, sticks... and stool in background. it's like you interrupted something very important! ha ha
I love that first photo. And yes, I do sing to get both of us to relax and breath and I think it helps if you're trying to keep a steady gait. I like singing "Black Magic Woman".
Post a Comment