Friday, October 21, 2011

Albuquerque Bio-Park

 

My kidlets and I recently spent a few hours in the Botanical Gardens at the Albuquerque Bio-Park. We were there to find a Letterbox, but since we have a family membership, we like to visit as often as we can.

IMG_4913

We found the Letterbox easily and then had some fun playing in the Fantasy Garden.

IMG_4885

IMG_4888

IMG_4890

(And yes, I slid down through the log, too)

I know that the Fantasy Garden was created for children, but I’m pretty sure that adults enjoy it just as much….maybe even more.

IMG_4882

There is something so enchanting about strolling around someplace where you can feel small and full of wonder, like a child again.

IMG_4876

The experience brings out the imagination and creativity in all of us.

IMG_4895

IMG_4900

IMG_4902

I took a photo of my 3 kidlets about 5 years ago, sitting on this exact same ant. They certainly have grown a lot since then!

IMG_4879

We visited the Butterfly Garden, too, and the Docent seemed to enjoy sharing his love of insects with us, including this Millipede.

IMG_4921

We all took a turn letting it crawl on our arm.

IMG_4920

It’s legs felt like a toothbrush as it scurried across my skin.

IMG_4922

I was relieved to find out that Millipedes don’t bite or sting. But I don’t think Jen was so sure that was true….

IMG_4919

 

I drew the line at holding a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach. *shudder*

IMG_4916

But Jax didn’t. Ewww. Creepy.

IMG_4918

On the way out of the Butterfly Garden, we walked past the lake and a flock of ducks caught my eye.

Do you see the dragonfly, too?

IMG_4924

There were still some beautiful flowers blooming along the paths.

IMG_4915

We had a wonderful visit to the Botanical Gardens of the Albuquerque Bio-Park.

IMG_4930

Do you have a special garden or park that you enjoy visiting, too?

 



8 comments :

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I wish I had a special garden or park I like visiting, but you can't grow anything in Nevada. New Mexico seems like a wonderland compared to here. I don't even remember there being nice places like that in California.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That millipede is HUGE! Eeewww on the roach!!

Beautiful pictures!!

Dan and Betty said...

Great pictures. It looks like a fun place. We'll have to remember that the next time our granddaughters come to visit.

Dan

Sherry Sikstrom said...

I love parks, but we have nothing like that! How beautiful!

Caitlin said...

I can't say a lot of parks or garden's I love to visit but I was up in Santa Fe last summer and fell in love with Pecos National Park. Beautiful country, wished I could have ridden my horse through it.

Btw, LOVE your park visit. I think all those over sized garden pieces would have brought out the inner five year old in me too. Looks like ya'll had fun.

Mary said...

I was hoping to see a picture of the kidlets five years ago on that ant. It's amazing what a difference 5 years make. I love theme parks like that. it looks very well kept up and clean.

We used to go to a park similar to that called "The Enchanted Forest" It was loosley based on nursery rhymes, and it had a really neat western town. It was fun, unfortunatley it has fallen into disrepair. It's always sad when that happens.

Gail said...

You are very fortunate to live close to all these fascinating places you share.

DesertHen said...

What a wonderful, fun place to spend the day! I would have slid down the log too!

I will actually be in Albuquerque in February for work! Not sure what the weather will be like then, but I'm excited for the trip just the same.