Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chicken Therapy

 

I don’t know if it’s just the time of year, but I’m feeling kind of down in the dumps and in a funk. I’ve been beating myself up and doing quite a bit of deep thinking. There’s a lot of stuff on my mind right now. Nothing I can really talk about, at least not right now.

My thoughts are too jumbled up to make any sense of anything. If I wrote it all out I think it would just seem disjointed and confusing. And quite honestly I’m just too sensitive and raw right now to deal with any potential critical comments or judgmental attitudes by going public. So, at least for now, I’ll just have to keep my thoughts to myself, although I did confide in my dear husband who, after 23 years together, seems to always get me and understand what I’m going through, because he understands where I’ve been.

What did help get my mind off of things, was some time spent with my animals. I scratched my goats, enjoyed some llama kisses, and hugged my horse. And everyone received treats.

IMG_5984

 

They were all very sweet, but it was my chickens that seemed to be the best at lifting my spirits that day.

Just sitting among them listening to their comforting clucking while they peck for insects and grain helped get my mind off of my troubles for a while. I’m always surprised with how much personality and character chickens have when they are just considered livestock, or dumb birds.

They make me smile when some of them hop into my lap to cuddle and coo while I stroke their neck feathers.

(Wowza. Those are some blindingly white knees!)

IMG_6266 

They make me laugh when they get a wild hair and take off waddling and flip-flop flying across the yard and they make me giggle when they beg for a treat or some attention.

IMG_6250

Phyllis Diller, my Golden Laced Polish Hen never fails to make me smile with her frou frou mannerisms.

Hello Dahling!”

IMG_6257

“Yoohooo!”

IMG_6261

“Oh my! I think I see a feather out of place!”

IMG_6264

“Make way for the Queen!”

IMG_6265

Faith, the Ameracauna is doing really well and is very friendly. She walks normally now and if you didn’t look at her foot, you’d never know she had to learn how to walk on two broken toes when she was just a 2 day old chick.

IMG_6280

We have reason to believe that one of our Summer Chicks is a rooster.

IMG_6253

This Blue Wyandotte is growing the hackle tail feathers like roosters have, and he’s bigger than most of the other chickens and has very thick legs.

IMG_6244

He’s always watching me, too.

IMG_6241

It’s really creepy.

IMG_6242

I must say, he makes me a little nervous and reminds me of Sid Vicious. Sid, for those who don’t remember, was our Bad Boy Polish Rooster that buried a spur in my arm last year when he attacked me from behind while I was petting one of the hens.

I’ll have to keep an eye on this fellow, in case he goes the bad boy route, too.

IMG_6252

One of our Speckled Sussex Summer Chicks has a favorite napping place during the day.

IMG_6237

Napping on the top of a 42” tall sharp metal t-post doesn’t sounds very comfy. But she seems to like it.

IMG_6227

If I were her I think I’d be much more comfy being held and cuddled in Jen’s arms. Just sayin’

IMG_6236

The 5 Silver-Laced Cochins have become the coop snobs and prove that cliques don’t just occur in high school, but also in chicken coops. These girls are always together and exclude any other chicken that tries to join them.

IMG_6281

 

 

Well, soon their little snobby group will be disbanded because we listed our chickens for sale this weekend and have a couple groups of people coming by this week to possibly purchase some of our 18 week old Summer Chicks, so their new owners can enjoy some fresh farm raised eggs for their holiday baking.

It’s a good thing, too. Because the coop is feeling a little too crowded now and feeding 38 chickens is getting quite expensive. We’re hoping to sell 10-15 chickens, but will keep our favorites and enough hens to be sure we have plenty of eggs for our family and perhaps a few dozen to sell each week.

Between baking, cooking and feeding the dogs(they always get one egg on their kibble every night), we go through 2-3 dozen eggs per week for our family of 5. And that may seem like a lot, but not when you consider it takes a dozen eggs for me just to make green chile breakfast burritos for my family.

And our older hens, even though we keep a light on in their coop 24/7 all year round, are only giving us 2-3 eggs per day. But sometimes they still surprise us.

Last week we got one tiny yolkless egg and one x-large triple yolk egg.

IMG_1421

 



17 comments :

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I love your chicken posts. You give them such character.

The jumbo and the pee wee eggs are amazing side by side.

You have my number if you ever want to talk...

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Lisa, sorry to read you are feeling down . talk about it only if you want and not idf you don't . Glad you have such a wonderful hubby and partner in life. And there is nothing like animals to heal,or at least sooth a troubled heart. Whatever is going on, I hope things improve for you . Love and hugs, Sherry

Cheryl Ann said...

I'm constantly feeling down because of the class I have this year. Not only are they extremely low and SLOW, but they can't sit still or focus on their lessons. Good thing I have my horses! Hang in there, kiddo! You know we are all rooting for you! I absolutely LOVE your chickens...sigh...someday I'll have my own!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I can see how the chicken coop would be a great place to relax and think... or not think. (As long as no one who resembles Sid Vicious is about.) I hope you can work out what's going on, or better yet, that it works itself out.

Gail said...

I do love chickens.

As a child and young adult, you would find me in the chicken coop.

You have my email if you need me.

Jeni said...

Lisa I'm sorry you are feeling down in the dumps. Life has a way of doing that to even the best of people, just know that you're not alone. I'm so glad you have someone like Ranchman John who gets you and understands. Feel better my friend.

That is one big egg!

Dreaming said...

Your post brings a smile to me. I love hearing about your chickens - I guess some folks just wouldn't get it!
Maybe your Sussex has ambitions to be a Flamingo!
I'm glad they bring joy into your life!

Maery Rose said...

Another plus for having chickens! Thanks for the comments you made over on my blog about my chicken, bee, and garden dreams. You expressed so well what I love about gardening.

I hope you feel better soon and I totally get the self protection. What ever is going on in your life, this a tough time of year, going from long sunny days to dark, drab and chilly. For some reason, this time of year makes me feel so old. Maybe it's the aching joints. And it seems like the end of something and I'm not keen on endings.

Dan and Betty said...

Nice pictures. I'm glad Rancher John is there for you when you need him. After 66 years , Betty and I have learned that most things will always pass in time. Hang in there. You are loved and sometimes that's all we have, but that's pretty good.

Dan

Icelandic Vinka said...

Love my chickens too Lisa... I love to see the Americaunas colors this time of year literally blend completely into the fallen leaves. The Silver Lace Wyandottes we have area also very cliquish as you said.. funny.
I love to watch them scratch at the ground for hours and never seem to get tired. The rooster YELLS for them when a hawk is nearby and they ALL RUN 90 MPH to their choice of two coops... they stay in till he tells them it is safe to come out. Then they come out like little paratroopers as there is a little shelf at the doorway. they hop up and then look around and then hop off as if they are jumping out of an airplane to a mission!
I hope whatever has you worried or in a funk soon lifts and goes away. There are always people in this world that have it better, but there are way more that have it a lot worse... sending you blessings and prayers!
Karen

Captain Bailey said...

I hear you on the whole "down in the dumps" thing...I hope the clouds clear for you soon. Your chickens are real characters--I had to laugh about your creepy rooster description, since that's exactly what they make you feel like!

Daisy said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your chickens!!!!!! I have never owned chickens - but you make me want to!!

I am feeling much like you described in your 1st paragraph. I feel ya sista. BIG (((hug)))

GreyWolf said...

Hey there stranger.
If your feeling low, try a visit with Uncle Jack and a few good friends.
If only I lived closer, I'd show you how to chase the blues away.

Celeste said...

Sorry that you are going through a rough patch Lisa but you have definitely found the right remedy, animals are the best therapy in the world :) Hang in there, I am sending good thoughts your way.

DesertHen said...

I think it does have something to do with the time of year! I have been fighting the "blahs" as well! I'm so busy at work right now that I don't know if I'm coming or going! It all just seems too much at times and I want to curl up and bawl my eyes out! Sending ((((HUGS))) your way! Spending time with the critters always cheers me up and brings a smile to my face too!

Desert Rose said...

Your chicken are so beautiful no wonder they cheer you up! Have had a rough summer myself but hope to get back into the swing soon...we haed to the desert this Tuesday, Lady arrived last week! take care and pamper yourself!!!

Desert Rose said...

Your chicken are so beautiful no wonder they cheer you up! Have had a rough summer myself but hope to get back into the swing soon...we haed to the desert this Tuesday, Lady arrived last week! take care and pamper yourself!!!