This is a busy week for us around here. Although I do love to travel and go on road trips, when I’m home, I like to be physically home, if that makes any sense.
But my driving talents are needed this week so my kids can attend all their classes, activities, time with friends, and events.
I’m grateful that I get to be so involved in their lives and that they seem to like having me around, but sometimes we all need a little down-time.
So I grab it when I can.
One of the things that slows me down, helps me decompress, and resets my time clock and energy level, is just hanging out with our chickens.
No matter how I’m feeling when I first sit down with our flock, within seconds I‘m breathing slower, feeling relaxed, and smiling.
And after our inquisitive chickens come over to be petted, or peck at a loose thread on my shirt, or run across the yard waddling their fluffy feather butts, or hop into my lap, I’m laughing.
After 10 or 15 minutes of Chicken Time, I feel better again, ready to face the world.
How do you decompress from the busyness of life?
18 comments :
Yes, I sure know what you mean about some down time! Lately, I don't remember what that is!
wondering around with my camera...taking photos of everything...gives me a new lease on life...
Looking at your pictures makes me feel like I'm hanging out with your chickens too! I'm glad to know I wasn't so weird after all; I liked hanging out with the chickens too when I was a girl.
Wonder what it is about them that is so calming? Maybe they're just so busy doing all their funny/odd little chickeny routines that it keeps your mind from dwelling on things.
Chicken time - I love it. We decompress by reading, messing with our computer, watching TV - especially old movies - being with our horses - even just shoveling manure.
But chicken time looks pretty good.
Dan
I could do with some of that "Chicken Time". I wish we could have chickens in my neighborhood. But I'll have to just enjoy yours through photos. They are soooo pretty!
Nothing like chicken therapy! lol! I like sitting with the animals and just vegging. Animals just make me feel calmer.
I love spending time with my chickens. I can't figure out what it is, but I could sit and watch them until the sun goes down. I also work on my photos, brush my donkeys, walk around the property with the dogs, or sit and drink coffee with my Honey.
You just have the prettiest chickens! Great photos!
I hope you get to relax sometime soon- but of course...the holidays are just around the bend!
A great way to decompress. I love to just stand with my arms on one of the stall gates and listen to them chew. Its calming to me.
What a coincidence, I feel the same after 15 minutes at KFC..LOL!
Horse time is my down time, and blogs. But chicken may be in my future, so I will be looking to you for advice.
You've already taught me one thing. No roosters. ;)
Thanks for the beautiful comment you left on my blog about Carmon. I was so convinced we would have another opportunity... It honestly never occurred to me that she wouldn't get well enough for another chance to meet.
I'm very grateful for the time you spent with me, and your wonderful photos of my time up there were such a gift. Hopefully we will have another chance soon.
I love this, Lisa. While reading the post, I was picturing a new kind of doctor's office. The patients would be brought into a nice big chicken house with chairs all around. In no "chicken time" at all, as you say, they would be feeling better. Hey, that might be the solution to our spiraling medical costs!
I never thought of chickens as therapy- just food, but I'm looking at these photos and reading your words and think "I gotta try it!".
My decompression time is at the barn, around my horses. I also enjoy hiking with my dogs.
I agree that downtime with the hens is a nice way to relax. They are so much fun to watch!
Anything having to do with animals...we communicate without saying anything and we all benefit from each other.
You know what--chickens are BEAUTIFUL! I love seeing all their colors and patterns in their feathers, and then you photographed some with additional textures behind them and under them, and well, it is pure ART! I love chickens, too, and I can understand why they help you unwind. They are just wonderful creatures...no two ways about it!
Your chickens are just beautiful!!
I like to cook or bake when I need a little down time or read or spend time outdoors when the weather is decent. When I'm home, I like to just "be"! Although lately, down time is few and far between! I did manage yesterday to not do a lot around the house except what needed to be done and I finished a book I had been reading. Friday was a rotten day at work and my drive home in the snow was horrible, so I was feeling the stress and wanted to hide from the world all weekend!
One word...Fred. All I have to do is-look at his little smooshed face and big googley eyes and immediately he reminds me not to sweat the small stuff. Ahhh
Your chickens are really beautiful!
Post a Comment