I’ve been watching the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo on the Great American Country Channel (GAC) the past 5 days. Is anyone else watching, too? Did y’all see the gorgeous Palomino horse at the beginning of yesterday’s rodeo during the singing of the National Anthem? The horse was ridden by the rodeo queen and was carrying the American Flag. Wow! That horse’s flaxen mane was nearly touching the ground. I bet it was over 4’ long! I kept thinking how much work it must take to keep that mane looking so sleek, untangled and shiny. Apache’s mane might be all of 4” long and I still struggle keeping it clean and untangled.
Anyway, what are your rodeo favorites? My favorites are the Bronc Riding, especially the Bareback Bronc Riding, and also the Barrel Racing.
The following video takes the best of both and is just as exciting!
The video is from The World Barrel Racing 2009. This is Bareback Barrel Racing with the horse wearing only a halter. Stephanie Britt’s got an amazing seat. And her horse, Speed to Burn is just incredible! He never slows down and he stays consistent the entire run. Stephanie has no horn to hold onto around the barrels and she rarely grabs mane. What a team!
The action starts at the .53 mark, but the best is the slow motion section at the 1.14 mark. I love seeing how she comes in grinning from ear-to-ear. What a special bond the two of them have!

11 comments :
Betty and I have been watching too. I like all the horse events and my favorite is the barrel racing because it's all horse and rider working together. Second would be the steer roping because the horse is such an integral part of the rider's success.
Dan
I've been watching NFR too :) It airs here at 1am so I try to avoid facebook spoilers until I've watched it.
Barrels is my fav event (I'm sure you're not shocked at that lol)
That bareback barrel racing... no way could I do it. I'm just NOT a bareback rider.
Oh, and I can see how it looks like she's stroking his neck, especially in the slow mo, but she's actually trying to regrab her rein (lead rope, whatever you want to call it)
amazing is right!
I like it all. We're die hard watchers.
We do bareback barrel racing around here :) I have yet to fall off, but last time Monte threw in some bucks heading home and I had to shut him down and redo it, much to the amusement of the guys watching. I LOVE it. Don't know about just a halter though. I'd make darn sure I could stop!! (the rails hurt when you hit them, I know this much)
lol! I went and watched it again in regular speed and that's just what she's doing. Her hand is moving too fast to be stroking. She's definitely blindly reaching for the rope/reins.
Oh well, it's still obvious that the two of them make a great team :)
~Lisa
Wow! I love that the video shows the slow motion part so I can appreciate even more how truly amazing that ride was!
Makes you wish you could ride just as good!
Love the video I have always been a rodeo fan even though I can't ride very well. Plus I am a big PBR (bull riding) fan. Wish I got that channel so I could watch
We havent been watching here cause its on in the middle of the night. That video is amazing, i have a hard enough time staying on bareback when walking, never mind running barrels!
Wow! I had no idea that they did bareback barrel racing! So fun to watch!
We like to watch the barrel racers, bronc riders, (my hubby was a bareback bronc rider) and of course we sit on the edge of our seats for the bull riding!
I got to go again this year...the Palomino is the same one they have used since I have been going...this was my 6th year in a row!!!
Learning to love the team roping and the bull dogging because the horses are so great at their jobs!!!
Post a Comment