Monday, December 5, 2011

Somewhere It’s Snowing…..in New Mexico!

 

About 23 years ago before I moved to New Mexico and really knew nothing at all about this unique state, I used to work for the Airlines in Baltimore, Maryland, and often took quick weekend trips to different locales to relax, explore and sometimes to warm up during the cold, snowy, wet winters Maryland is known for.

This is my favorite little private forest glen where I’m planning to put a hammock next summer. When the snow melts.

IMG_7344

The pond heater works, but the snow is falling so fast, it can’t melt quick enough. Sure hope the goldfish are ok.

IMG_7347 

There was one winter that I decided that New Mexico would be a great place to warm up. My visions of New Mexico conjured up succulent cactus, bright sunshine, warm blue skies, and spicy hot chile peppers. Of course, it would be the perfect place to fly out to lay in the sun by the pool in a bikini, right? (the bikini thing was BK, before kids).

No bikini today! Just deep snow all the way up to the top of my knee high snow boots.

IMG_7338

Well, I called up a hotel that had a rooftop pool and said I’d be coming out to lounge by their pool for the weekend. The hotel clerk laughed at me.

The chicken coop. Looks like I’ll have to do some shoveling.

IMG_7292

And he had good reason. He told me the pool was closed during the winter because the temperature was in the 30’s and in fact it was snowing outside that very day. What?! Snow? In New Mexico. My images of a hot, dry and sunny winter vacation spot vanished in an instant.

Path is shoveled. I’m going in.

IMG_7330 

And oddly enough just 3 years later, my hubby and I moved away from Maryland and transferred our Airline jobs and moved to New Mexico. Funny, how things happen in life, eh?

Poor chickens. They’re all cooped up.

IMG_7303

But you know, our preconceived notions about New Mexico weren’t unusual. Even to this day, most Californians that sell their expensive homes and move to New Mexico to get more home for their money, are often shocked that New Mexico weather isn’t like sunny California and that New Mexico does get snow.

I cleared away the snow from a section of the coop and spread out some millet and cracked corn, and the chickens were happy to come out of their cozy home to stretch their legs for a little while.

IMG_7312 

And sometimes New Mexico gets a lot of snow. It all depends on where you live, and which storm decides to swoop down and dump the white stuff all over you.

Most of the chickens came out, but they didn’t stay out for long.

IMG_7322

We’re getting snow right now, in fact. Ever since Friday, several storms have been zooming through New Mexico bringing, high winds and lots of snow. In fact today feels much like a Blizzard, with the blowing snow and white-out conditions.

Some of the chickens checked everything out and decided to keep their feet warm and eat their breakfast inside.

IMG_7320

 

This morning at 9am I measured the snow depth and got 14” and when I went out an hour later and measured we had gained another inch! The weather folks are predicting up to 2 feet of snow for our area, which is above 7,300ft elevation.

IMG_7297 

Apache is keeping warm by munching on lots of hay. But she can’t wait to get out and cavort in the snow when it finally slows down sometime tomorrow morning.

IMG_7335

Until then we’re all hunkered down, filling our bellies with warm food and drink, cuddling with the cats and dogs, and enjoying the beauty of this snowy blizzard from the warmth inside our cozy abode.

IMG_7291



14 comments :

Dan and Betty said...

I think a lot of people have no idea that a lot of New Mexico is at a high altitude. We're 2,000 feet lower than you so we only get 4 inches out of this storm, but we're still at 5,100 feet.

Nice pictures.

Dan

Ed said...

I konw it sounds sick but I'm jealous! All that fun snow to play in, love the snow chickens pics.:-)

Dreaming said...

We have a lot of friends who think that just because we live in Colorado, we are going to have tons of snow all winter. They are often surprised to see our sunshine and warm temps. Although, right now it is -2... so, not so warm!
Your snowy pictures are pretty as a postcard!
Enjoy your snow. Snuggle up and stay warm!

Mikey said...

Crazy pictures! I don't think I could handle that much snow. I can't handle being that cold period. Stay warm girl!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

That's just plain nuts. It's been freezing here, but no moisture. I just have to break the ice in the troughs, but don't have to trudge through snow and mud for once. I actually started worrying about the pasture today because it hasn't received any water in weeks, so I'll need to water it even though it's December. That's a lot of snow you got after such a long dry spell.

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

It's so pretty but I don't like to be cold. My chickens would not appreciate that at all. There's hell to pay if they don't go out to roam and scratch!

Maery Rose said...

Count me among the people who thought New Mexico was more moderate through the winter. Of course everyone thinks Minnesota is heaped in snow and freezing and we barely have a dusting right now. I want the snow that you have!

Anonymous said...

brrr! it has been cold enough to snow in our neck of the woods, but only because the sky is lacking its typical cloud cover. Your fish should be okay, just don't bang on the ice to break it! I use to work with pond fish, I remember that being beaten into my head. Stay warm!

Vaquerogirl said...

Ok- I USED to want to move to New Mexico! Now~ not so much! I'll stay here in sunny, warm ( but terribly congested) California. Maybe I'll just move a few degrees north :)

Crystal said...

I dont mind all that snow and it sure makes things look pretty. I just dont like it when it gets super cold. Or when the snow melts into mud, ewww!

Laura said...

Nice pictures - hope you guys all stay warm.

It is raining here... I wish we had big snow storms like that - it would make putting up with winter a bit more fun. ;-0 We get snow, but it slowly piles up over the winter instead. 2ft in one storm would be a lot!

Anonymous said...

ooooooo wow!! i love the 1st pic, thatz a lot of snow and fun for sure ;)

DesertHen said...

Wow! That is a lot of snow!! We had a few snow days in Nov, but no snow yet this month! It is darn cold though! Temps in the low 30's for highs the past few days and down to single digits at night! It was 3 degrees this morning when I got up! Winter is certainly here and more so for you guys!

Mary said...

That looked like a lot of work to shovel the path to the the coop, phew! quite a work out I bet. I was just watching the morning news and the weatherman said more is on the way for you. Sounds like it's getting a bit treacherous. Stay warm and safe. Hugs to all the pets, especially little Sally and Dobbie, I bet the snow is getting tiring for the both of them.