I’m sorry all you snow lovers, but it’s true.
(photo of my side yard taken at 2pm today)
I’m feeling a little bah humbug today because Sunday was such a huge high full of joy and happiness because of the Hearts for Horses event and my twinlings Boy Scouts Court of Honor Ceremony. And here at home I actually saw some brown earth peeking out from underneath the old snow that has refused to melt for over 2 weeks. I had hope!
(I took this photo of Dobbie playing in the snow on Sunday afternoon. Do you see that little trail of brown? We actually had some meltage!)
And then BOOM! My hope was shattered last night when a thick icy fog rolled in. It was filled with thunder and lightning and the beginning flecks of snow. Driving home from Boy Scout’s Court of Honor last night was a white knuckle experience for me because the fog created a solid wall in the darkness and when the light of an oncoming car blazed in the distance, I was temporarily blinded due to both the light reflecting off the ice particles and the fact that my eye has never quite been the same since Apache kicked it a year ago.
We made it home safely, though and then I discovered that our roof was leaking….directly over the master bedroom toilet. The good thing is that the water drips right into the toilet. The bad thing is the water drips directly on you when you have to use it.
(Catlinite thinks we might need an umbrella above the toilet)
I noticed one of our neighbors on his roof the other day doing repairs. I’m really starting to regret buying a beautiful flat roofed pueblo-style home. Seriously. Whose stupid idea was it to build a flat roof home in the Rocky Mountains where it’s not uncommon to receive 2 feet of snow during a typical snowstorm?
I went to bed to the sound of snow thunder and loud claps of lightning. And apparently the noise stressed out our German Shepherd, Zuni, whom we brought inside to her crate the night before since it was snowing. She had an upset stomach and was howling all night. I kept having to wake up and come downstairs and let her outside because she had diarrhea.
I kept worrying that she’d have an accident in her crate because my washing machine has been broken now for over a month and I either wash things by hand and pop them into the dryer, or go to the nearest laundry facilities in Albuquerque and I’m pretty sure they don’t accept doggy diarrhea covered blankets in their public washing machines. And with this crazy snow storm, I’m not going anywhere for a while anyway.
It was a very long night.
(Photo of Dobbie Girl taken Sunday afternoon. She loves to climb anything and everything. A straw bale is not immune to her mountain climbing skills)
And this morning we woke up to a blizzard. It’s still snowing hard at noon with a heavy wet layer of snow that is weighing everything down…including the hawk netting over our chicken coop. Hubby never got around to replacing the center support beam and the weight of all this wet snow just caused it to cave in. I’m grateful that my chickens were all safely inside their cozy house!
(Photo was taken from my daughter’s room upstairs Monday morning)
As soon as it became light outside, I bundled up and walked Zuni up to the barn. Apache joined us and we crunched and stumbled over the broken-concrete-like treacherous snow and the 9-10” of new, thick, pudding-like snow. At one point my foot got caught in a deep hole and my right knee wouldn’t budge when I tried to lift it up, and that caused a jolt of pain above my knee cap. Ouch!
I finally got Zuni into her paddock and made sure her dog house had a dry blanket. I set her up with food and some warm water that I brought up from the house, and then I went into the barn to feed the llamas, goats and horse.
I gave them all some hay and gave Apache some warm grain mash using the bottle of warm water I brought up from the house. There is no water up at the barn now because everything is frozen solid and without electricity in the barn, there is no hope of any of it thawing out. I can’t even drive the truck up there to haul water and unlike last winter when we hauled warm water up in 7 gallon jugs on a sled, this year I refuse to do that again because of the treacherous conditions of the snow and the steep hill.
When I managed to stumble back down to the house again, I took a flake of hay from the bale in the extra garage and filled up Apache’s hockey net feeder at the bottom of her paddock. When it snows as hard as this snowstorm, the llamas and goats refuse to come down to the house where the heated water tank is, but they don’t require as much water, and as often as a horse does, so I know they’ll be alright until the snow slows down.
(The llamas say, “We can survive with only cookies. Got any?” photo taken Sunday afternoon, before the blizzard)
Mud Pie says, “Cookies please?”
Luna says, “Mmm! I can almost taste them!”
Latte says, “No, I didn’t get a cookie already. Besides I’m cute and should get two”
But I want to make sure Apache is drinking, and I know she prefers to be outside in the snow instead of cooped up in the barn. She has access to her stall 24/7, so I can feed her more hay right beside the heated water tank and I can see her from my bedroom window, guzzling down the water as she munches her hay.
After I fed the llamas, goats, horse and dogs, I dealt with the chicken coop fiasco, having to clear away all the heavy frosting-like snow off the netting, just to enter the coop. The chickens had one peek outside when I opened their door and requested that I bring them breakfast-in-coop this morning instead. I topped off their water and refilled their grain and shut their door back up, and finally went back into the house.
(Chicken coop from ground level at 2pm)
I can’t even begin to express just how tired I am of snow this winter. We’ve been in New Mexico for close to 20 years and have been living up here in the central mountains, just east of Albuquerque, for almost 5 years. New Mexicans are used to snow because most of our state is in the high desert. But what we’re not used to is snow that doesn’t melt completely away in a day or two. We’re not used to minus zero temps for many days and having snowstorms and icy fog continually pummel us without giving us a chance to recover for a few days and enjoy seeing the ground again.
(The birds don’t seem to mind as long as they have bird seed to munch)
I am very thankful hubby left me the 4-wheel drive truck when he went to Phoneix to work for the past several weeks, or I’d have been stuck at home for 16 days. The road into our neighborhood and our driveway has been covered by 8-10” of hard-packed snow and ice for 2 weeks now. Yesterday we had some 40F degree temps and the main road actually turned into slush for a few hours. But today that’s already frozen solid again and this new snow has covered it.
I’m also thankful we have plenty of food and hot beverages in the house…..oh, and toilet paper. Thanks to Jem for reminding me last night, or we would have been in dire straits today.
So, yeah, we have lots to be thankful for, but I’m still grouchy about all this snow. I don’t want to hear how pretty it is and how you wish you could have some.
Looks are truly deceiving, because this snow is just nasty and is making daily chores a hassle and I know all of my animals are sick of it, too. I keep reminding myself of our beautiful summers here in the mountains, but I’m very tempted to become a Snowbird so I can escape the winters.
(My apple and peach orchard in my front yard
(Mustang Sally says, “I hear Mexico is warm and doesn’t have this white crap on the ground. Rápido!”)
I would be happy to give away all of this snow for free to anyone that asks. Any takers?
15 comments :
Oh, you make me laugh!! The toilet paper thing had me going. I just went to town, for that exact reason. Everything else I can live w/o, cept the TP.
Your snow is beautiful, I know it's driving you crazy and you don't want to hear it, but it is :) I totally understand though, I could not handle more than a dusting of snow. This looks like a big blizzard for you guys. Stay warm, try not to get cabin fever. The snow will be gone soon (I think)
Well, it is beautiful...but no, I don't want any! it's beautiful from a distance!
I'm sorry you're having such a crappy time lately--especially with the laundry issues! You should go outside and use that heavy snow for a snowball fight with your kids. Get some of that irritation out, have a few giggles and earn some endorphins (not to mention some hot chocolate).
I hope the sun comes out soon for you!
I have to say that I feel for you with all that snow. I want a little for the Christmas season but yet not too much!
Merry Christmas & all the best for 2012 xx
How do you know the birds don't mind? what are they gonna do, stay inside? Inside where? I remember my sister's cockatiel spending the winter break on my dad's head. Dad was bald and he could get his feet warm without the inconvenience of hair.
Lisa, I can imagine how tired of the snow you must be...two days is about my limit up in Mammoth Lakes! (((BIG HUG)))and stay WARM!!!
Cheryl Ann
ugh, poor you! I do not like snow either, nor do I like rain! The boys have been wanting snow but I'm thinking, nooooo! I don't understand the flat roof either, but I have always lived where it rained a lot so it wouldn't have made sense. Hope your snow goes away soon.
I was feeling bad for you at the beginning when you were talking about the leak over your toilet and your washing machine being broken. I detest hand-washing clothes and going to public laundromats. Just sucky all around.
I know you don't want to hear from anyone that would love that snow, but I'm commenting anyway ;p
We usually have a decent amount of snowfall here but this year there's just been a little skiff. The worst part of it is that its created a lot of icy patches so I'm constantly worried that one of the horses or cows will slip and get hurt (or that I will, lets face it I'm a klutz lol) So I would take a decent snowfall to create a nice base layer any day. Also we depend on our winter snow for spring melt and moisture.
I thought of you when I seen the weather forecast on Good Morning America!
I dont want it!! LOL LOL Snow here is wet and wet, and wet and slushy. If its not it soon will be!
We have had the driest Dec. on record so far! To cold to do anything but feed the mares and make sure they are happy.
We live in a 46 year old timber A frame. It leaks, in odd places some times, then it stops. We have flat roofs over the front door and in the back of the house too. They will sometimes back up if the drain gets blocked.
I hate not having a washer! Hope you can get it fixed soon!
Hang in there, today is the first day of Winter! (sigh)
well today was the first day of my job that i've had to call in sick because of snow. we have the same heavy wet stuff that you do, and it looks like about the same amount (from your chairs).
i hate to lie but i certainly don't want to waste a vacation day being stuck in this house with nothing to do except try to find things to clean. i don't even have any movies to watch *sigh* (oddly i found it easier to lie in german to the receptionist. i don't think i can lie to my boss (american).) i am 90% sure that my boss will think "one, she never gets sick. and two, look at the weather report in her town!"
i so hate the winters in germany for this. i feel like typing "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy" and locking myself up so no one gets hurt (jk). i just hate being stuck! and to think, this could stay til march, ugh.
ok i'm gonna make some of that russian tea (someone brought me tang!) and get cleaning.
(Do I tell her that the first day of winter starts tomorrow? Nah! She has enough on her mind.)
Well, the snow is beautiful unless you have to work in in, travel in it, or tend to animals in it. I will say that all this moisture is so needed that I know the trees and critters will be so happy this spring so I am very thankful. I hope you survive the rest of fall (last day today) and then begin to enjoy winter. In the meantime, be careful!
Oh. My. Gosh! I can't imagine suffering through that much snow for days on end like you are. I have been watching the news here about it and now it says you might be in for more by tomorrow! I'm glad you have enough provisions to last a while but still. A leaky roof and a washer that's on the fritz...Ugh!
Well, I have really enjoyed my morning here getting back up to speed with all of your goings on. (That didn't come out quite right, I don't get my kicks over your snow angst)
It was definitely worth waking up early for! Hang in there Lori, I will be thinking about you.
The Snow IS very beautiful, but I am glad you have it and not me!!!!! I think we will be in for it. I am sure we will get something. I hope not though. I spend a lot of time outside with Star and Libby, and I do not have a covered area, to spend time out there with them. I know what you feel though. I would be going stir crazy myself. I hope for warmer weather soon!
You sound like I felt last year except for the cold part, we never went above freezing for at least 4 months. I was just mentioning the other day that it is weird we have hardly any snow this year and it is warm, amybe we have traded winter weather??? I dont want any snow till March then it can melt if a few days and fill our dugouts and be gone, but everyone says that will never happen, sigh. I feel for you.
Post a Comment