Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sunday’s ACTHA Ride

 

Before I went to bed on Saturday night, I had resigned myself to not being able to ride in Sunday’s ACTHA ride. I figured I would just drive down Sunday morning and just spend the morning and afternoon hanging out with Apache, maybe walking her around and letting her graze on the grass around the base camp.

When I woke up on Sunday morning, something inside of me told me to just go ahead and dress to ride, so I threw on my breeches, half chaps, and Ariat riding shoes. Then I refilled my water bottles and packed a few snacks and sliced up some more carrots for Apache and said a little prayer for strength and health for my Apache mare as drove down to Estancia.

Before checking in on my mare, I first stopped off at the campsite of my friends Britt and LuAnne, as they said they were going to keep an eye on Apache that night. Britt told me that Apache looked pretty good in the morning, but she still gave her a small dose of Bute, about a half hour before I arrived. I thanked them profusely and went to go hug my Apache mare and see for myself just how she was feeling.

Would she up for a 6 mile ride that day?

After spending a little time with Apache and not noticing any stiffness or lameness, I went over to the check-in table and signed up for a ride time.

On Saturday 35 riders had shown up to ride. On Sunday there were only 32 riders. Most everyone had signed for a ride time the night before, but since I wasn’t even sure we were going to be able to ride, I waited until Sunday morning, which left only 2 time slots: 10:45am or 11:00am. Oddly enough there wasn’t anyone signed up for the 11 am ride time, so I went ahead and signed up for the 10:45am slot that already had 3 riders. Which made me happy because I saw that my friends Anne and her husband Matt were in that time slot and even though I’ve been to ACTHA rides with Matt, riding Anne’s Clydesdale Prince, Matt rode as a Safety Rider. So I’ve always wanted to just ride with them, and this was a great turn of events that I would finally have the opportunity.

While waiting for our ride time to start, some friends of mine asked me to take some photos of them dressed up for the group themed contest. They chose to be the Rat Pack and had some very cute costumes.

IMG_0960 

I got my mare groomed and tacked up by 10:30am and then rode her around the base camp. The 10:30am group was leaving as I rode by, and I took note that several of my old Walkin N Circles Ranch Horse Rescue friends were in that group, two of them riding gaited horses, which caused me to have a wistful feeling, wishing my horse could keep up with them so we could ride together. Oh well. It is what it is, I told myself. We would ride our own ride and just enjoy ourselves today, even if we had to ride all by ourselves.

Which was starting to seem like it was going to end up that way.

Those 15 minutes between the last group leaving and then waiting for our 10:45am time slot to begin, seemed interminably long. The base camp seemed so deserted, so quiet. Was my horse and I all alone? Where was Matt and Anne and the 4th rider in our group?

I sat relaxed on my mare’s comfy back while she nibbled grass and just reveled in the silence and peacefulness. I happened to glance up and noticed the beautiful cloud formations against the bright, blue sky highlighted by warm sunshine. (And of course, I took a photo *grin*)

IMG_0962



I just knew it was going to be a good day. I could feel it in my heart and deep in my soul.



12 comments :

Reddunappy said...

What happened to Apache? I missed something!!

Cat said...

It's always nice when something like that happens off the cuff, and you can be prepared to enjoy it. Love the sky pic! And the Rat pack is cute!

Cat

Jeni said...

Yeah!!! So glad you decided to ride her! Can't wait to see and hear about the ride!

WishIHadAHorsey said...

Your pictures take my breath away. So excited you were able to ride on Sunday.

Anna Larson said...

I'm glad you got to ride both days. Hope to see you at a few more of the rides. It was such a pretty weekend and lots of great fun.

Crystal said...

glad she was feeling good and hoping your other riders show up.

Anonymous said...

so glad you made the ride! I said this on FB already;) but Cass really wants to come live with you and do this for a living. Does your littlest want to ride with you on these? Of course I love my girl but she would do such an awesome job out there on these rides:)

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Glad she was sound to ride, hope it was a good day

Paint Girl said...

So happy you got to ride!! I have been checking into the ACTHA and it doesn't seem like they have any rides in our area. I'm sad because everything I see from your posts looks so amazing and I would love to do rides like that with Chance someday!!
I can't wait to hear how Sunday went!!

Laura said...

So glad you got to ride on Sunday as well! I love that picture of the clouds...!

The ACHTA rides sound so fun. I think I'm going to go back through your posts and get ideas to build some obstacles and challenges for Dolly and I to work on this summer!

lilyrose said...

I'm so glad you got to ride the second day! That sky photo is beautiful! Hope Apache is feeling better. :)

Unknown said...

oh, those clouds. I love clouds. :) beautiful photo! Reminds me of Georgia O'Keefe. Have you seen her cloud painting?