I just discovered today while checking into Atlas Quest, to find out if any new letterboxes had been placed around my area, that a very special letterboxer, who I had the pleasure of meeting in person last October, passed away last week, on April 3.
Her passing really made me so sad, and even though I had only met her in person one time, we had chatted so many times via e-mail that I considered us friends.
I met this wonderful, warm-hearted, friendly, spirited woman in person on October 26, 2011. Her Letterboxing Trail Name was Hi Desert, which was perfect since she lived in Santa Fe.
We had been trying to coordinate a meet-up for months during one of her visits when she drove down to Albuquerque for her chemo treatments. We finally were able to coordinate a meet-up and one day we decided to meet at the Yellow Sub in Albuquerque, where she wanted to find a letterbox that I had placed there last year. As soon as we met, I immediately felt like I had known her for years. And even though she was such a tiny thing, only about 5' tall, and I was an entire foot tall than her, I never felt awkward. We talked for such a long time while enjoying our meal together, that we almost didn't make it out to look for a new letterbox that had just been placed about a week earlier. But we did and I'm so glad, because it was such a fun time enjoying a hike and working out the clues together. Her laughter and her ability to find joy was infectious. And I also enjoyed her curiosity and sense of adventure.
On her Atlas Quest profile page, she included this quote, which seems very fitting, as that is how she lived her life:
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why we call it the "present." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
As a tribute to her, I want to share my blog post from that day we spent together just 6 months ago:
Hi Desert, my dear friend, you touched my life and I will never forget you.
9 comments :
Lisa, so sorry for the loss of your friend. Sounds like you were kindred spirits! :-)
Jane
So sorry but the treasure you had, the day with her, will be part of you forever.
What a sweet, touching post. I do know what you mean about feeling an instant affinity for another person. It's wonderful! I'm glad you got to spend time with Hi Desert and enrich her life!
So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. What a wonderful tribute to her!
Nice. Well done.
Dan
That is a wonderful tribute - thank you for sharing your memory of her.
How heartbreaking. That's a beautiful quote. I'm memorizing it to help me through my current trials. If someone who didn't have her health could live by that philosophy, it must have served her well. I love that she was still out letterboxing while under chemotherapy.
so sorry for the loss of your friend! How sad
Such sad news! Lovely tribute!
Post a Comment