Thursday, June 5, 2014

Riding in Golden Canyon Open Space

 

About a week after I got home from riding at Canyon de Chelley, my friend Paula asked if we could ride at one of my favorite places, as she’d never been before and wanted me to show her the trails. She is riding her ‘foster’ mule, Jasper because her mule has a wither injury. Jasper is owned by another lady, but he is very young and needs more miles and experience for her to feel safe on him, so she offered him to Paula on free lease in return for lots of riding, training and experience.

I was eager to ride at Golden Open Space before summer arrived and it got to unbearably hot to ride there.

 

 

GOS Jasper wasn’t to sure what to think about the Open Space Equine Gate. So Apache and I rode through first….

 

IMG_0253                                                       And Jasper soon followed………..

IMG_0254

                              A happy smiling Paula ready to ride the Golden Open Space trails.

 

IMG_0255

Considering that just a week earlier Apache carried me 45 miles in 2 days, she was still feeling a bit sluggish and even a little gimpy. But I chose to take her to Golden OS because it’s pretty mellow as far as our local mountain trails go, and only has one steep, but short section. Plus we were just out to mosy and sightsee.

 

GOS1

                                  The views are 360 degree and are gorgeous in every direction.

IMG_0265

                                    The Sandia Mountains behind us, viewed from the northeast.

GOS2

                                          Paula and Jasper up above the Red Canyon.

 

IMG_0262

I love how creative the trail builders were when designing and building the trails.

GOS4

                                             After a mile or so we drop down into the canyon….

IMG_0278

                                                                  Riding along the edge……….

 

GOS3

I love the different colors of rock and sand, from white to yellow to orange to pink to red.

IMG_0290

When we first started in the canyon we discovered that Jasper had concerns with large boulders. By the end of our ride, his concerns were over and he mostly ignored all of the boulders we encountered on the trail.

 

IMG_0295

                                    Apache and I just moseyed down into the canyon….

GOS5

The designers and builders of the Golden OS trail system are mostly bicyclists and hikers, so they created a fun network of narrow, twisting, cliff hugging trails.

 

 

IMG_0297

                                    Paula taking a picture of me while I take a picture of her.

GOS6

At many points along the trail, the trail zigs and zags in between arroyos and you get to see your riding partner directly across from you.

 

IMG_0299

                                                            I just love these Golden OS trails!

IMG_0300

                                                 Apache and I riding on the other side of an arroyo.

GOS7

Lots of beautiful red cliffs to enjoy with juniper and pinon trees to wind around and between.

IMG_0311

Looking across another arroyo while traveling between two hills.

IMG_0314

After a couple hours we decided to take a rest and enjoy some lunch. Equines got to enjoy a rest, too.

IMG_0318

                                Turkey wraps, broccoli salad, gingersnaps, and margaritas. Mmmm!

IMG_0316

These little margaritas were so refreshing, delicious and cold. The perfect trail drink for a picnic.

GOS8

After lunch we mounted back up and continued to ride deeper into the canyon.

IMG_0323

                                                    Soon we dropped down into the lower canyon.

IMG_0332

There is no trail, but you can’t get lost because the canyon is lined with tall red rock walls on both sides.

 

 

IMG_0336

                                                Such a beautiful place to ride and explore.

IMG_0338

                                               There was even a bit of grass growing in the canyon.

IMG_0348

 

                                                I think Paula really enjoyed riding at Golden Open Space.

IMG_0343

Paula and I decided to ride a little deeper into the canyon and farther than I’ve ridden on past rides. It required hopping up a few natural rock steps.

IMG_0356

                                                                   I just love the red rock!

 

IMG_0357

                                                          One section crosses slabs of rock.

IMG_0359

Lots of rock to ride over, but Apache is always barefoot and never has any trouble.

 

IMG_0361

                                                    Such fun to explore these gorgeous canyons!

IMG_0369

I imagine that this canyon becomes a raging river during our summer monsoons.

 

IMG_0372

It also will become beastly hot as the canyon is protected from any wind by those tall rock walls. It was pretty warm on this day, too, and it was only early May when we rode there.

 

IMG_0373

I find rocks fascinating. All those layers….all that geologic history.

IMG_0376

Paula’s camera batteries died about now and she asked if she could borrow mine for a while to take some photos.

 

 

IMG_0367

But first I took a sweet photo of Jasper and Apache sharing a moment.

IMG_0379

                                        And then we headed on down through the canyon.

 

 

IMG_0389

                                                  Picking our way through rocks in the arroyo.

 

IMG_0390

                                               Following the twisting and turning canyon.

IMG_0391

                                               Apache and I pose for a photo in the lower canyon.

IMG_0383

                                                           Some people hug trees. I pet rocks.

IMG_0384

                                               Enjoying the beauty and peacefulness of the canyon.

IMG_0387

 

 

                                                 Leading the way through the lower canyon.

 

IMG_0392

                                                   Another photo moment thanks to Paula.

 

IMG_0395

                                               Just check out all those layers and striations!

IMG_0404

                                           A little welcome shade beside the red rock wall.

IMG_0410

And soon we are traveling up and out of the lower canyon.

IMG_0411

 

A tiny narrow trail winds it’s way out of the lower canyon.

 

IMG_0413

You are greeted by beautiful views of the mountains as you climb up and into the upper canyon.

IMG_0423

And then back into the juniper and pinon tree lined winding trails.

IMG_0438

                                                                 And down into another arroyo.

IMG_0443

                                                             And up along the red rock cliffs.

IMG_0446

                                                       A shadow selfie of me and my girl.

IMG_0460

                                                          And up we climb out of the canyon.

IMG_0456

Almost out of the canyon and we are rewarded with layers of red, orange, yellow and white rock cliffs as the trail winds around the sides of hills.

 

IMG_0464

Surveying the beautiful Golden Open Space Canyon. (Look closely…..do you see a face down in that mini-canyon?)

IMG_0470

                                                                                 How about now?

IMG_0473

Beautiful wispy clouds above us as we leave behind the wonders of the canyon.

 

IMG_0479

Still another mile or two to ride to reach the trail head. We enjoy the peacefulness as the shadows stretch across the trail.

IMG_0481

 

                                                                  Life is Good!!

IMG_0484

No comments :