For Apache's third trail ride post-eye removal surgery, I chose the Pine Flats trails to ride and I invited two of my riding partners to join us.
While waiting for my friends to arrive at my house, I got Apache saddled up beside my truck.
While waiting for my friends to arrive at my house, I got Apache saddled up beside my truck.
My riding friend Yvonne kindly offered to give Apache a ride to the trailhead that day, so I wouldn't have to hook up my trailer and then unhitch that night, as I had a doctor appointment the next day. But I still drove my truck to the trailhead with the rest of my gear.
After I finished tacking up Apache beside my truck at the trailhead, I made a stop at the restroom, while Apache waited patiently outside for me.
Since this was only Apache's third time being ridden in 2 months, she was energetic and eager, and we led for the entire ride.
And I was eager and happy to be out on the trails with my special equine partner again, too!
I feel so blessed to live so close to these beautiful trails and have the opportunity to ride beneath the tall pines in our lovely mountains.
Like I said...Apache and I led the way!
After about an hour of riding, we decided to stop for lunch at the Deadman Campground.
There were tents set up all around in the meadow and beneath the trees and a camp kitchen was set up on one of the picnic tables. There was also a tarp on the one of the picnic tables. No one was around, so, we sat down at the tarp covered table after tying up our horses.
We enjoyed a leisurely lunch, while our horses enjoyed a rest, and we never saw the campers or anyone else.
After lunch, we climbed back into our saddles and head uphill.
It was a bit of a climb uphill.
And there were rocks on the trail to maneuver around and over. Apache took it all in stride and kept her forward pace.
We also saw many pretty wildflowers, including these Indian Paintbrushes.
This section of trail on Pine Loop is one of my favorite because of the dense tree cover and the way the trail twists and turns through the forest.
My happy to be out on the trail riding my Apache mare, selfie!
My riding companions were enjoying our ride, too.
We rode for several hours and just took our time. Apache was much more eager, though and stayed out in front...far out in front.
Apache had no interest in waiting for the other horses. She wanted to go, go go!
Considering that Apache only has one eye, she sure is brave and bold.
I could feel her joy and happiness to be out exploring our favorite trails together again.
And the day was gorgeous! The weather could not have been more perfect!
Near the end of our ride is a meadow that we invited our horses to stop and graze. They were all very happy to enjoy the delicious, green grass. They stuffed their mouths full!
And they buried their noses into that tall grass. It must have been pony nirvana for them!
We humans just relaxed and chatted while our ponies gorged themselves on the succulent green grass.
This is one of the reasons that I know Apache loves trail riding so much!
What a wonderful ride we had!
Apache, my One-Eyed Wonder Horse was absolutely awesome, as usual!

No comments :
Post a Comment